[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL head coach GOAT  (Read 1908 times)

MU1in77

• Walk-On
NFL head coach GOAT
« on: January 11, 2024, 08:14:43 PM »
Belichick 6 NFL Championships in 29 seasons; Vince Lombardi 5 NFL Championships in 10 seasons. Thoughts?

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: NFL head coach GOAT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 08:28:17 PM »
1. Lombardi
2. Belichick
3. Halas (6 'Chips)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 08:33:32 PM »
Belichick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 08:38:24 PM »
Vincent T. Lombardi. I would argue the greatest head coach in any sport.

Belichick was mediocre at best in Cleveland and mediocre to lousy without Brady.  It’s not him. Lombardi was never mediocre.  He was going to make Washington great too.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 08:46:52 PM »
Vincent T. Lombardi. I would argue the greatest head coach in any sport.

Belichick was mediocre at best in Cleveland and mediocre to lousy without Brady.  It’s not him. Lombardi was never mediocre.  He was going to make Washington great too.
He would have except for F-ing Dan Snyder!

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 08:58:30 PM »
Belichick 6 NFL Championships in 29 seasons; Vince Lombardi 5 NFL Championships in 10 seasons. Thoughts?

16 teams and 4 playoff spots. Talent pool extraordinarily deeper in modern era. I give it to Bill, far more difficult to win one now. If Lombardi made Washington a dynasty maybe that changes my answer.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 09:00:54 PM »
1. Lombardi
2. Belichick
3. Halas (6 'Chips)

Others to consider:
Saban
Wooden
Bear Bryant
Shula
K

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 09:09:57 PM »
Others to consider:
Saban
Wooden
Bear Bryant
Shula
K
Gotta have Phil Jackson in that list.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 09:38:31 PM »
Gotta have Phil Jackson in that list.

I didn’t notice the NFL in caps right in front of me - my bad

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:11 PM »

Belichick took over an absolute dumpster fire in Cleveland.  The year before he was hired was the literal worst defense in the NFL in the entire 90s.  And the offense was lead by a broken Kosar who had just had the worst season of his career.  Belichick turned them into a very good playoff team in 4 years.  Entered his final year as a presumptive Super Bowl contender and then Modell dropped a bomb on the franchise and the city and the season imploded.  Looking at BB and Cleveland his last two years, its not hard to see the makings of what then happened in New England.

Plus his staff between the 94 and 95 seasons had 3 future NFL head coaches, plus Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz, and also Pat Hill who coached Fresno State for 15 years.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 11:14:04 PM »
Lombardi never had a losing season.  The Packers were 1-10-1 when he took over.  The Redskins were 5-9 the year before he arrived.  He had the Packers in the NFL championship two years in and never lost a championship game after that loss to Philly (in Philly).

He produced HOF at such a ridiculous level, it became a voter topic and bias there were too many of his Packers already in. This in an era where head coaches didn’t have a small army of assistants and head coaches played a huge role on both sides of the ball and player development. 

Lombardi= GOAT

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 11:53:30 PM »
Belichick took over an absolute dumpster fire in Cleveland.  The year before he was hired was the literal worst defense in the NFL in the entire 90s.  And the offense was lead by a broken Kosar who had just had the worst season of his career.  Belichick turned them into a very good playoff team in 4 years.  Entered his final year as a presumptive Super Bowl contender and then Modell dropped a bomb on the franchise and the city and the season imploded.  Looking at BB and Cleveland his last two years, its not hard to see the makings of what then happened in New England.

Plus his staff between the 94 and 95 seasons had 3 future NFL head coaches, plus Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz, and also Pat Hill who coached Fresno State for 15 years.

He had 4 losing seasons in 5 at Cleveland with a wild card win. It’s generous my labeling his body of work there mediocre.  And his coaching tree is a really weak argument.  As great as Saban became it was entirely off his college record. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 06:12:09 AM »
Hutch knows football!  Lombardi was relentless and so many coaches(good ones) modeled their style after him.

He took guys who’s 2nd jobs were used car salesmen, bartenders, etc and turned them into winning athletes at highest level at that time. talent pool was all relative.  He’d  do the same today with the 24/7 athlete or they’d be full time used car salesmen and bartenders
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 06:47:27 AM »
Lombardi was the best ever.

His downfall was he wasn’t a great personnel guy. Look up Jack Vainisi to see who the hero was in that regard.

Lombardi’s style would never work today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 07:23:27 AM »
It’s Belichick for navigating the salary cap era.

Lombardi is in the discussion, but then so is Paul Brown and Chuck Noll and Tom Landry and Don Shula and Joe Gibbs.

Lombardi had the luxury of roster continuity.  He saw the writing on the wall when he left.

Also, I’d pay top dollar to see Lombardi take used car salesman and try to win football games today
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 07:30:08 AM »
Bill Walsh?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 07:38:00 AM »
It’s Belichick for navigating the salary cap era.

Lombardi is in the discussion, but then so is Paul Brown and Chuck Noll and Tom Landry and Don Shula and Joe Gibbs.

Lombardi had the luxury of roster continuity.  He saw the writing on the wall when he left.

Also, I’d pay top dollar to see Lombardi take used car salesman and try to win football games today
I agree Belichick was for a long time was the best GM in the game on top of being an all time coach.

If we are including non-coaching duties and contributions, hands down it's Halas for me. There is no NFL without Halas.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 07:41:20 AM »
Bill Walsh?

Most influential offensive coach of the modern era.  Cultivated a lineage down to Andy Reid, born from Paul Brown.

In ‘86, Niners lost Montana in week one.  Navigated the team to a 4-3-1 record with Jeff Kemp and Mike Moroski at QB.  Saved Steve Young.  He’s in the discussion.  Wouldn’t be my choice but I’d listen

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 07:42:45 AM »
I agree Belichick was for a long time was the best GM in the game on top of being an all time coach.

If we are including non-coaching duties and contributions, hands down it's Halas for me. There is no NFL without Halas.

His legacy and lineage is long, too.  Definitely can’t have the discussion without him

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2024, 07:45:58 AM »
Most influential offensive coach of the modern era.  Cultivated a lineage down to Andy Reid, born from Paul Brown.

In ‘86, Niners lost Montana in week one.  Navigated the team to a 4-3-1 record with Jeff Kemp and Mike Moroski at QB.  Saved Steve Young.  He’s in the discussion.  Wouldn’t be my choice but I’d listen

GOAT discussions bore me.   I agree with your assessment about Walsh.  But he belongs in the discussion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2024, 07:48:43 AM »
His legacy and lineage is long, too.  Definitely can’t have the discussion without him
He was a complicated man. Still not sure if Ditka loved him or hated him.

He was the hard nosed SOB needed to make the NFL endure and become successful. He started the NFL when there was no interest in professional football.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2024, 08:54:27 AM »
GOAT discussions bore me.   I agree with your assessment about Walsh.  But he belongs in the discussion.

Correct about the discussion aspect, especially if someone tells you his or her choice is the only option.  I think it’s Belichick in the NFL and Saban in college.  Might be right, might not be.  All subjective

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2024, 08:56:13 AM »
He was a complicated man. Still not sure if Ditka loved him or hated him.

He was the hard nosed SOB needed to make the NFL endure and become successful. He started the NFL when there was no interest in professional football.

It’s interesting how college athletics dominated outside boxing and baseball because of the amateurism aspect in da dey der.

I’ll always maintain football’s rise at the pro level was as much about gambling as TV.  Probably a combo of both.  And Pete Rozelle

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 09:03:53 AM »

Lombardi’s style would never work today.

Maybe. I think most people would agree with you. But coaching still comes down to relationships. That was Lombardi’s strength. He didn’t know more X’s and O’s Than other guys. Parcells is a more modern coach who was Lombardi-ish.

Tomlin also follows in that tradition and certain guys can’t play for him, especially wide receivers. But I’ve never seen a ‘tough guy’ who wanted out in Pittsburgh because Tomlin was too hard on players.

Anyway, I’d put Shula, Lombardi, and Parcells ahead of Belichick.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 09:06:08 AM »

Maybe. I think most people would agree with you. But coaching still comes down to relationships. That was Lombardi’s strength. He didn’t know more X’s and O’s Than other guys. Parcells is a more modern coach who was Lombardi-ish.

Tomlin also follows in that tradition and certain guys can’t play for him, especially wide receivers. But I’ve never seen a ‘tough guy’ who wanted out in Pittsburgh because Tomlin was too hard on players.

Anyway, I’d put Shula, Lombardi, and Parcells ahead of Belichick.

Lombardi’s personal skills were excellent.  Very progressive for his times, yet demanding.  Lot more CEO than people realize

feedback