[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jordan Love  (Read 2609 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Jordan Love
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 11:36:54 AM »
I like Jordan but quite a few balls he throws are ducks.  If he can tighten them up and zip em a little more he could be three in a row.

What I do like most about Jordan is that he doesn't get as outwardly frustrated when his teammates clearly run the wrong routes or plays.

Aaron used to lose it on guys and then ice them out.  Jordan is FAR more patient.

Not sure if we are talking about the same throws, but I thought the same. Then in this game, I realized on two of the throws I had that thought, that he released the ball way way before the receiver got to the open spot. He had to float (throw a duck) it out there to give the receiver time to get there.

It actually shows great vision.

It also is just a super stark contrast to Rodgers, who was very reserved in his passing, didn't take any chances, and preferred gunning it into to a guy when he already reaches the spot. That also led to him having to throw it away at times, because he didn't have time in the pocket to wait.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2024, 12:06:03 PM »
Not sure if we are talking about the same throws, but I thought the same. Then in this game, I realized on two of the throws I had that thought, that he released the ball way way before the receiver got to the open spot. He had to float (throw a duck) it out there to give the receiver time to get there.

It actually shows great vision.

It also is just a super stark contrast to Rodgers, who was very reserved in his passing, didn't take any chances, and preferred gunning it into to a guy when he already reaches the spot. That also led to him having to throw it away at times, because he didn't have time in the pocket to wait.

The one i thought hung up there was the first TD to Wicks. But the all 22 shows this was pure anticipation on when Wicks would enter his throwing lane (Wicks, btw, has been tremendous at creating separation with his routes). I kinda view it as the oscillation of wanting to gun everything on to wanting to feather more in. It's a balance and one that he'll continue to work on as he gets comfortable.

This is a huge offseason for the Packers for internal growth. If they get it, they might have a contender. If they don't, fire Shaka.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2024, 12:14:41 PM »
The one i thought hung up there was the first TD to Wicks. But the all 22 shows this was pure anticipation on when Wicks would enter his throwing lane (Wicks, btw, has been tremendous at creating separation with his routes). I kinda view it as the oscillation of wanting to gun everything on to wanting to feather more in. It's a balance and one that he'll continue to work on as he gets comfortable.

This is a huge offseason for the Packers for internal growth. If they get it, they might have a contender. If they don't, fire Shaka.

The trouble with feathering it in there is you give some of the best athletes on the planet a chance to react.

He's going to throw a lot more INTs than Aaron... but Aaron is the best at not turning the ball over.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 12:16:27 PM »
In terms of risk taking I love where Jordan is. He's not as reckless as Favre but will take more chances than Rodgers.

That first TD could have had a little more on it, but still hit the window. I thought two of his best throws were the two end zone incompletions to Doubs and Melton.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2024, 12:22:16 PM »
Agree with both of you. He'll learn from larger sample sizes. The two endzone incompletions were nuts.

I thought Love got lucky with some of his passes early in the year. Back half of this year, everything - good or bad - felt deliberate. I'll take that at this point in the year if it means he can learn from experience.

To me, that's why postseason is so important this year. It's house money, but you can't replicate what it's like when the game tightens up in the playoffs. And if (when) the Packers fall behind early, he'll learn what you can and can't do trying to fight back, even if it somehow turns into a Favre vs Rams type game (ok, not that bad)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2024, 12:23:42 PM »
The trouble with feathering it in there is you give some of the best athletes on the planet a chance to react.

He's going to throw a lot more INTs than Aaron... but Aaron is the best at not turning the ball over.
I think Jordan has a special skill set that many NFL quarterbacks lack.  That is spread the field.  Mahomes and Rodgers are the short quick pass.  West Coast offense was big in the 1990s and early 2000s.  So defense adjusts to that. More defenders in a smaller area. Jordan uses the entire field.  A lot fewer defenders per square yard.  I think Jordan is the new evolution of quarterbacks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2024, 12:33:15 PM »
I think Jordan has a special skill set that many NFL quarterbacks lack.  That is spread the field.  Mahomes and Rodgers are the short quick pass.  West Coast offense was big in the 1990s and early 2000s.  So defense adjusts to that. More defenders in a smaller area. Jordan uses the entire field.  A lot fewer defenders per square yard.  I think Jordan is the new evolution of quarterbacks.

I'd love to see him take off running a bit more.  There were at least two or three times he could have easily gotten a first down with his legs.  But also, I think he completed the passes he threw on those, so what do I know.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2024, 12:38:53 PM »
I'd love to see him take off running a bit more.  There were at least two or three times he could have easily gotten a first down with his legs.  But also, I think he completed the passes he threw on those, so what do I know.

Would you trade him for a used bike?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2024, 12:59:12 PM »
I take back what I said about the Wicks TD. If you want to nit, Love sees him late, but he threw that up over the pass rush, and on the inside shoulder so that Wicks didn't get lit up.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1744427725153018101?t=Ogx9lXRGu3ps4wTM24_4Bw&s=19

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2024, 01:05:09 PM »
I take back what I said about the Wicks TD. If you want to nit, Love sees him late, but he threw that up over the pass rush, and on the inside shoulder so that Wicks didn't get lit up.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1744427725153018101?t=Ogx9lXRGu3ps4wTM24_4Bw&s=19

That one play shows the difference between Love and Fields very well. He looks left, then center, and after seeing nothing, goes to the 3rd read. Fields would have already been out of the pocket by the time Love threw the ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2024, 04:29:27 PM »
That one play shows the difference between Love and Fields very well. He looks left, then center, and after seeing nothing, goes to the 3rd read. Fields would have already been out of the pocket by the time Love threw the ball.

To be fair to Fields, his line often doesn't give him time to his third read. But I do agree he would have put his head down much earlier.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2024, 04:45:14 PM »
To be fair to Fields, his line often doesn't give him time to his third read. But I do agree he would have put his head down much earlier.

There's this, but he panics after his first or 2nd read. The Packers ran a 5-man blitz with man behind it on a number of critical downs and got home. He got through one read, tried to find an out, and couldn't do it.

I will concede that I remain baffled that the Bears know this propensity and do not know why or how they do not do a better job of building in outlets.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2024, 05:25:37 PM »
There's this, but he panics after his first or 2nd read. The Packers ran a 5-man blitz with man behind it on a number of critical downs and got home. He got through one read, tried to find an out, and couldn't do it.

I will concede that I remain baffled that the Bears know this propensity and do not know why or how they do not do a better job of building in outlets.

Lots of ways to combat this stuff, and yes they just don't.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2024, 12:21:31 AM »
It's really crazy that Love has the 2nd most TDs of all QBs, especially given he is throwing to all 1st and 2nd year guys.

Rodgers wouldn't have put up this good of stats with the same roster.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2024, 04:16:55 PM »
It's really crazy that Love has the 2nd most TDs of all QBs, especially given he is throwing to all 1st and 2nd year guys.

Rodgers wouldn't have put up this good of stats with the same roster.
The new receivers would have been an excuse for Rodgers.  When Davante Adams was traded, Rodgers couldn't get the job done.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2024, 06:16:42 PM »
Jordan Love is 16-20 for 272 yards and 3 TDs in his first ever playoff start.  Perfect QB rating.  Averaging 13.6 yards per attempt.

Not bad

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2024, 06:21:03 PM »
Jordan Love is 16-20 for 272 yards and 3 TDs in his first ever playoff start.  Perfect QB rating.  Averaging 13.6 yards per attempt.

Not bad

A used bike would have thrown for 300 yards at least.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2024, 06:55:14 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2024, 10:12:49 AM »
I took joy in Packers QB panic earlier in the season, and was pleased that they may not have a QB for once.  But I think the most terrifying thing about Love last night was how many off balance/slightly shifting throws that looked like near mirror images of throws a prime Rodgers made.

Teams will have film on Love, he will have regressions at time next year.  But that shows me he has some serious tools/picked up a lot sitting behind a HOFer.  Gross for everyone not in Green and Gold

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2024, 10:16:34 AM »
I took joy in Packers QB panic earlier in the season, and was pleased that they may not have a QB for once.  But I think the most terrifying thing about Love last night was how many off balance/slightly shifting throws that looked like near mirror images of throws a prime Rodgers made.

Teams will have film on Love, he will have regressions at time next year.  But that shows me he has some serious tools/picked up a lot sitting behind a HOFer.  Gross for everyone not in Green and Gold

This is where Tom Clements sticking around has made a ton of difference IMO. He has the same throwing motion from the late Favre, early Rodgers era when he was the quarterbacks coach under McCarthy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2024, 10:31:48 AM »

I was just talking with my Bears-fan son about this. He said something like, "Just when I was thinking we might FINALLY have a better QB than the Packers, now they've got another guy who will be great for a decade or more while we cycle through a dozen more crappy QBs."

To which I, of course, responded: "Only a dozen?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2024, 10:32:47 AM »
What's scary is that you know he'll spend the entire offseason on footwork, but he looks extremely comfortable with his approach. Results don't seem random, lucky etc.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2024, 10:42:39 AM »
I think we have to give some credit to MLF's offense. He's done a great job scheming guys open. There's been a couple of Love moon balls that have a wide open receiver waiting for it like a punt. Also, Love has been shredding teams with the 20 yard throw to a guy sitting down in the middle of a zone.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2024, 10:49:10 AM »
I think we have to give some credit to MLF's offense. He's done a great job scheming guys open. There's been a couple of Love moon balls that have a wide open receiver waiting for it like a punt. Also, Love has been shredding teams with the 20 yard throw to a guy sitting down in the middle of a zone.

That's really all part of NFL defense (to some extent). The key to those guys being open is good pass protection, and staying calm and knowing where your options will be.

In the first part of the year, Love didn't have the time for those guys to get open. With the line playing better, now he does.

Regarding the moon balls and people being wide open. Late in the game, there were two similar opportunities for the Cowboys, both when Dak rolled out, players wide open on opposite end of the field. Didn't see them and/or couldn't make that throw.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2024, 11:04:41 AM »
Also, it's looked to me like Love zips it in there when necessary, lobs when necessary, goes sidearm when necessary, etc. I haven't watched him all season, just for a few games, but he appears to have all the throws.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson