collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 7800 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 05:14:05 PM »
Looking east from about 15th Street I'd say. With the old Jesuit Residence foreground left and the Varsity Theater beyond that

That is not even there anymore. I can remember 10th street! Now its the freeway. I envy the kids going to MU today, but back then MU was not just in the city it was part of the city.

Picture was taken in late winter 1966.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 05:17:26 PM »
StillaWarrior

A lot of solid tips on this thread. Imo, Third Ward and enjoying the FF and Deer District would be high on my list. Will add, hot Goolsby’s pregame, it is the place to go once again!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 09:12:47 PM »
If you and your son like a drink or two the Tiki Bar at the Public Market is Milwaukee’s melting pot, a quintessential MKE dive.

The Public Market has something for everyone it’s a Milwaukee treasure.

The 3rd Ward in general is great.

If Fr Naus played any role in your MU life, check out the conference room named in his honor on the first floor of the AMU (the old game room).   

The Annex is largely terrible but it is well decorated so I would walk through the bar.

Beyond those suggestions there’s not a ton of nostalgic spots at MU. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 01:11:41 AM »
Many solid suggestions in this thread.  A few others to consider:

Bronze Fonz - only in Milwaukee. Wells at the river... kitschy but only takes a minute to see if you are close by

3rd Street market hall - would have been the Grand Avenue Mall (on WI and 3rd) last you were in MKE

Be sure to travel down WI to the lakefront to take in the Calatrava Art Museum, Discovery World, and even Lakeshore State Park...adjacent to Summerfest grounds. Even if you didn't frequent that far east during college, that lakefront is nothing like 30 years ago. The recent construction on that side of downtown is worth a glance as well.

The Rave/Eagles Club is still around if you went to concerts there and need a shot of nostalgia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 07:21:23 AM »
If you and your son like a drink or two the Tiki Bar at the Public Market is Milwaukee’s melting pot, a quintessential MKE dive.

The Public Market has something for everyone it’s a Milwaukee treasure.

The 3rd Ward in general is great.

If Fr Naus played any role in your MU life, check out the conference room named in his honor on the first floor of the AMU (the old game room).   

The Annex is largely terrible but it is well decorated so I would walk through the bar.

Beyond those suggestions there’s not a ton of nostalgic spots at MU.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing a lot businesses that remain from my time there. I feel like it'll be nostalgic just to be back on campus, but obviously very different. What you suggest -- just a walk-by -- is all I had in mind for the Annex. I'm just curious to see it. It'll likely be a pitstop between a beer at the old Ardmore and the old Gym - with a bowl of hot squeezed in there somewhere.

My plans for the Annex:

When I texted my son last night to send him info about Lakefront, he asked if it's one of the spots where I used to go. I had to break it to him that his Dad is getting a little old and that all the places I used to go are gone. lol  But he loves breweries, so he's excited.

Edited to add: also the Public Market does look kind of cool. I think we may try to get over there. It's a short trip - barely 40 hours in Milwaukee (and that includes two nights). Between campus and that area (Friday afternoon), the brewery (Friday night), pregame (sounds like Goolsby's is the place to be) and the game, there's not a lot of room for much else. We'll have to figure something out for Saturday night, but that's about it.

What time do people typically start pre-gaming at Gooldby's?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 07:30:05 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 07:32:03 AM »
StillaWarrior

Not sure what time the game starts the day are coming, but Goolsby’s has been opening early for the early start games. Earlier the better.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »
IMO, MG is fine for a beer or two just before the game, but your mileage may vary.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2023, 07:35:45 AM »
I went in there pre-Xavier and left disappointed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2023, 07:36:03 AM »
StillaWarrior

Not sure what time the game starts the day are coming, but Goolsby’s has been opening early for the early start games. Earlier the better.

It appears to be a 1:00 PM start. So, "early" like 10:00? Or early like 7:00 (like the bars did for the December 1989 game against ND)?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2023, 07:38:15 AM »
IMO, MG is fine for a beer or two just before the game, but your mileage may vary.

I went in there pre-Xavier and left disappointed.   

Is there another place you'd recommend? We're staying just a block away from FF. So I'm flexible. I see Sobelman's on St. Paul opens at 10:00 on Saturdays. Those Bloody Mary's look pretty nice...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2023, 07:53:08 AM »
Is there another place you'd recommend? We're staying just a block away from FF. So I'm flexible. I see Sobelman's on St. Paul opens at 10:00 on Saturdays. Those Bloody Mary's look pretty nice...

Honestly, I don't.  I just wouldn't plan my day around MGs.  Personally, I always preferred some of the spots along Old World 3rd, but I'm younger than Goose and not residing in MKE.  Personally, I think a stop at MGs for a beer is fine, but you're limited on time as it is so stopping at the Deer District for a swig might be a bit more your son's style.  Plus it's two birds with one stone.  Otherwise Central Waters and Pilot Project breweries are two or three blocks west of the FF in the old Pabst area.  It's pretty cool if you haven't been over there since the 90s.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2023, 08:18:02 AM »
Tower and Hards

There is no doubt that I have a bias for Goolsby's, but that bias did not prevent me from avoiding going there for a decade plus. I agree some great spots on Old World, but IMO, Goolsby's once again became the pregame spot for MU basketball last season.

I am somewhat surprised that tower was disappointed at the pregame for X, I thought it had a great environment. Plus, I met some legendary folks from Scoop that day.

I was two of my sons multiple times at Goolsby's pregame last year and they loved the action. They are 30 and 36 and definitely have zero bias for the place. If anything, a negative bias due to hear old stories about MG. For the first time in a long time, MG seemed like a MU basketball bar last season to me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »
Tower and Hards

There is no doubt that I have a bias for Goolsby's, but that bias did not prevent me from avoiding going there for a decade plus. I agree some great spots on Old World, but IMO, Goolsby's once again became the pregame spot for MU basketball last season.

I am somewhat surprised that tower was disappointed at the pregame for X, I thought it had a great environment. Plus, I met some legendary folks from Scoop that day.

I was two of my sons multiple times at Goolsby's pregame last year and they loved the action. They are 30 and 36 and definitely have zero bias for the place. If anything, a negative bias due to hear old stories about MG. For the first time in a long time, MG seemed like a MU basketball bar last season to me.

Sounds like things have improved.  I think the last time I went was precovid... just felt run down and 3/4 empty.  There were a few Marquette fans at the bar, but it wasn't the pregame atmosphere I had anticipated.  Glad you're enjoying it, especially since it's been a downtown staple that has survived the decades.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2023, 08:24:50 AM »
Maybe I was the problem and it picked up and got interesting after I left.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2023, 08:28:12 AM »

You are pretty good at putting out fires, yeah?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2023, 08:28:25 AM »

I hope you were packing heat
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2023, 08:33:04 AM »
You are pretty good at putting out fires, yeah?
Wet blanket.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2023, 08:43:04 AM »
Sounds like things have improved.  I think the last time I went was precovid... just felt run down and 3/4 empty.  There were a few Marquette fans at the bar, but it wasn't the pregame atmosphere I had anticipated.  Glad you're enjoying it, especially since it's been a downtown staple that has survived the decades.

IMO it's not much different. The food's not great either.

My usual place was Buck Bradley's, but now that they are closed I'm a free agent. Does the Brat House have a good pregame? Sad about this because BB's was always packed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2023, 08:56:21 AM »
Sultan

BB had been my place for quite some time and sad they closed. To be clear, I do not think MG has great food or has made major updates, my enjoyment and based off of the crowd of people.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2023, 08:57:20 AM »

My usual place was Buck Bradley's, but now that they are closed I'm a free agent. Does the Brat House have a good pregame? Sad about this because BB's was always packed.

I thought you were a Mecca kind of guy!   ;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2023, 08:58:12 AM »
If you are looking for nostalgia, Mader's is still there and their Knight's Bar gets a good pregame action. Sharing a beer from a boot with your son would be memorable.

The Harp Irish Pub (definitely) and The Trinity are other old spots that were likely around.

The Brat House (double bubbles/MU alums) and The Old German Beer Hall are fun spots as well and have been there for a while. Turner's is always a guessing game as the venue changes restaurants every year it seems.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »

There are 30-35 bars/restaurants within a 4 block walk to the east and south of Fiserv Forum (  10-12 east of the river on or near Water Street and about 20 west of the river on 3rd Street and south toward State and Wells). It'll be a cold winter day. No need to drive all over he!! looking for the perfect hamburger. If your hotel is 1 block from FF, roll out of bed about 10:30 am and start walking. You'll find something to your liking in about 2 minutes. Creighton tipoff 1:30 pm I believe. All of these places will be hopping before and after the game. If you come in Friday you'll figure all of this out Friday night .

Have fun.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2023, 09:40:52 AM »
There are 30-35 bars/restaurants within a 4 block walk to the east and south of Fiserv Forum (  10-12 east of the river on or near Water Street and about 20 west of the river on 3rd Street and south toward State and Wells). It'll be a cold winter day. No need to drive all over he!! looking for the perfect hamburger. If your hotel is 1 block from FF, roll out of bed about 10:30 am and start walking. You'll find something to your liking in about 2 minutes. Creighton tipoff 1:30 pm I believe. All of these places will be hopping before and after the game. If you come in Friday you'll figure all of this out Friday night .

Have fun.

This is 100% right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2023, 09:46:31 AM »
I would include The Best Place in a nostalgia tour.

https://bestplacemilwaukee.com/

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2023, 10:06:51 AM »

I like Brat House. “2 for 1” beers is a nice perk. It gets pretty cramped though, although the second story helps.

Uber Tap Room was my go-to since it was not crowded and had good beer and food. Now it’s an Irish bar which is meh.

I haven’t tried Pilot Brewing yet, but it’s a large space. Central Waters Brewery is a hit of a walk for you, but has really good beer and they have food.

feedback