[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 7795 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Recommendations for Return to Campus
« on: November 01, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »
I'm planning a short trip to Milwaukee around the Creighton game. I haven't been to campus since 1993. I'm taking my adult son and I am looking forward to showing him around. Obviously, we'll look around campus and I'll show him some of the places that I remember and we'll look at the many new buildings since my last visit (the Al, the Annex, new library, etc.). I also want to show him some places I used to go...but looking around the map of the area, most are gone. Real Chili and Miss Katie's are on the list. We'll grab a beer at Caffrey's (fka The Ardmore...and I think it was also The Gym since I left). Beyond, that, there doesn't seem to be too many places right around campus that have survived. Am I missing any?

For those who live in Milwaukee and those who visit frequently, any recommendations (with an eye toward early 90s MU nostalgia - but new is fine too). Anything new on campus that I wouldn't want to miss? Any new places in the area that we should try? We're staying near Fiserv, so downtown is also on the table. Our time is limited and we won't have a car, so we're going to focus on the campus area and downtown. We'd appreciate your recommendations.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 08:30:44 AM »
I did a similar walking tour last year before the Xavier game.    With all of the changes, it isn't what you remember.   And that is OK.   Wander around with one eye toward the progress and changes, and one toward what was and nostalgia.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:22:15 AM »
I did a similar walking tour last year before the Xavier game.    With all of the changes, it isn't what you remember.   And that is OK.   Wander around with one eye toward the progress and changes, and one toward what was and nostalgia.   

That's really my plan. But the more I look at the map of the surrounding area, the progress and change eye is going to be very busy and the nostalgia eye...not so much. And, like you said, that's OK. I'm excited to see all the changes.

For nostalgia, there are a few places on campus that I'd like to visit and see - Joan of Ark, Gesu, Helfaer Theater (I worked there), Haggerty Museum (same), Johnston Hall (spent a lot of time there), Rec Center (same), and AMU. In the campus area, the only places I saw in a quick look at the map where I spent much time were Miss Katie's and The Ardmore (which is now Caffrey's). And is that Murphy's on Wells in the space where the Gym used to be? And of course Real Chili is an institution.

I honestly didn't spend a lot of time downtown so I don't have too many memories of a lot of those places. We used to go to John Hawks pub from time to time, but that's long gone. I think I probably went to the Safe House a time or two...but I can't honestly say for sure.

The point of my original post was to see if there are any nostalgic places around campus that I might have missed in my quick look, but also to see if there is anything new that I should check out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 09:34:03 AM »
I wouldn't bother stopping at the Annex, honestly. But as tower said, take a stroll through, it's amazing how much has changed in the last 15 years.

In terms of downtown stops, it depends on what you're looking for. Bars? Food options?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
On a return trip about 5 years ago, my wife and I got a tour of Johnston Hall - where we had spent a significant amount of time as MU students.

The amount of change was incredible and fascinating, especially in the student media area. They now have multi-media studios and all kinds of tech that make it look more like the set of CNN than of anything we had back in the Dark Ages.

The faculty advisor to student media gave us the tour, and we got to spend a lot of time talking to the student editors of the various media. Really enriched the experience for us.

It sounds like you're going over break, so I'm not sure such access would be available to you, but worth checking on in advance if you'd be interested in stuff like that.

But the fact that you haven't stepped foot on campus since 1993 means that you are gonna be wowed by a bazillion things. Heck, the first time we saw the new student union and the area around it was quite an experience.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:25:24 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 09:45:32 AM »
Depends a lot on what you want. If you just want a feel of Milwaukee, the Public Market and Harley Museum are new but worthwhile options with dining available. There are a ton of options for a brewery tour. I'm a fan of Lakefront's tour, especially if you do it on a Friday for fish fry after, but Gathering Place in Riverwest also has a brewery tour, is run by Marquette alums, and is one of the Blue & Gold Brewing advisors that helped with the '77 production last year (and the new production this season). The Pabst Mansion will likely still have holiday decorations up and is close to campus. If you want fine dining, Sanford and Ardent are both top notch. If you want simpler fare, Sobelman's on St. Paul and Oscar's across the viaduct are solid burger joints.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
In terms of downtown stops, it depends on what you're looking for. Bars? Food options?

Yes, and yes.

The only food on my list that I feel I need to have is Chili, and that'll probably be lunch on Friday. I drank at Ms. Katie's far more than I ate there, so I don't really care too much if we eat there. I figure we'll grab a beer at Katie's, Caffrey's, and Murphy's. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions. Don't want/need anything fancy. Don't want to spend a ton.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 09:54:19 AM »
Depends a lot on what you want. If you just want a feel of Milwaukee, the Public Market and Harley Museum are new but worthwhile options with dining available. There are a ton of options for a brewery tour. I'm a fan of Lakefront's tour, especially if you do it on a Friday for fish fry after, but Gathering Place in Riverwest also has a brewery tour, is run by Marquette alums, and is one of the Blue & Gold Brewing advisors that helped with the '77 production last year (and the new production this season). The Pabst Mansion will likely still have holiday decorations up and is close to campus. If you want fine dining, Sanford and Ardent are both top notch. If you want simpler fare, Sobelman's on St. Paul and Oscar's across the viaduct are solid burger joints.

Fantastic. Thank you. I've been hearing about Sobelman's on this site for years, so that's intriguing. And a brewery tour would be great.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 09:56:21 AM »
On a return trip about 5 years ago, my wife and I got a tour of Johnston Hall - where we had spent a significant amount of time as an MU student.

The amount of change was incredible and fascinating, especially in the student media area. They now have multi-media studios and all kinds of tech that make it look more like the set of CNN than of anything we had back in the Dark Ages.

The faculty advisor to student media gave us the tour, and we got to spend a lot of time talking to the student editors of the various media. Really enriched the experience for us.

It sounds like you're going over break, so I'm not sure such access would be available to you, but worth checking on in advance if you'd be interested in stuff like that.

But the fact that you haven't stepped foot on campus since 1993 means that you are gonna be wowed by a bazillion things. Heck, the first time we saw the new student union and the area around it was quite an experience.

Thank you. I suspect that our on-campus options will be significantly limited by the fact that it will be while the students are gone and it will be Friday afternoon and Saturday on 12/29 and 12/30. Hopefully we'll get to see inside some of the buildings...but I'm honestly not expecting too much.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 10:10:43 AM »
Fantastic. Thank you. I've been hearing about Sobelman's on this site for years, so that's intriguing. And a brewery tour would be great.

If you’ve never been then I’d highly recommend sobelmans. I’m sure the locals will say there’s better burgers in Milwaukee (Oscars cones to mind) but with it being right on St. Paul next to valley fields, it’s basically campus. And it’s awesome
Bring back FFP!!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 10:17:06 AM »
If you’ve never been then I’d highly recommend sobelmans. I’m sure the locals will say there’s better burgers in Milwaukee (Oscars cones to mind) but with it being right on St. Paul next to valley fields, it’s basically campus. And it’s awesome

Thank you. It's already on my list. I'm not asking "locals" -- I'm asking this motley crew.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 10:30:32 AM »
I think you'll also be impressed with the beauty of the Fiserv Forum itself, both inside and out. If you haven't been here since 1993, you'll remember that area was the Bradley Center, a handful of bars/restaurants and not much else. The development that has taken place is remarkable, and they still have plans (interrupted by covid) for 3-4 additional square blocks, including immediately adjacent to Fiserv on the south.

One thing I tell people going to Fiserv for the first time is go to the far east end of the building ( above the main atrium) and then go to the uppermost tier. There is a large open concept bar and a viewing area with an open patio that provides fabulous views of downtown Milwaukee east of the river.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »
Sobelman's/Oscar's for burgers. Other restaurants in/near downtown- Birch, Buckley's, Third Coast Provisions, Amilinda, all very solid. San Giorgio has good Neapolitan pizza. Il Cervo in the Trade Hotel by Fiserv was also pretty good. Some higher end options too as mentioned earlier.

Lakefront has the best tour, that's a bit of a walk from Fiserv but a cheap Uber. Third Space is just down the street from Sobelman's, and is an MU owned brewery. Central Waters taproom is in the old Pabst complex which has been restored. Pre/postgame can't go wrong with Good City Brewing, Brat House, or Major Goolsby's.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 11:00:39 AM »
I think you'll also be impressed with the beauty of the Fiserv Forum itself, both inside and out. If you haven't been here since 1993, you'll remember that area was the Bradley Center, a handful of bars/restaurants and not much else. The development that has taken place is remarkable, and they still have plans (interrupted by covid) for 3-4 additional square blocks, including immediately adjacent to Fiserv on the south.

One thing I tell people going to Fiserv for the first time is go to the far east end of the building ( above the main atrium) and then go to the uppermost tier. There is a large open concept bar and a viewing area with an open patio that provides fabulous views of downtown Milwaukee east of the river.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

You forget the beautiful view of The Mecca with the Blue Jay flags flying high.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2023, 11:15:10 AM »
I know many that go to Sobelmans more for their bloodies than the burgers.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 11:24:57 AM »

This. Quintessential Milwaukee. Fish fry at Lakefront is awesome. Good beer, good food, good music.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »
Oscar's > Sobleman's.

I'm not sure what state the Rec Center is in right now.  I drove near it this past weekend and it looked like it was split in half from construction.  Others may know better if it's open/operational at all right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 11:34:15 AM »
I can't believe no dentist has warned you about the rampant crime yet. Good thing you won't have a car.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 12:18:07 PM »
This. Quintessential Milwaukee. Fish fry at Lakefront is awesome. Good beer, good food, good music.

This is definitely top of my list. I wasn't aware of this place, but it looks fantastic. It's also fairly close to our hotel. I suspect this will be our Friday night. Thanks to those who recommended it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 12:24:24 PM »
Went back several years ago with our chidlren in tow.

Place isn't the same. It LOOKS like a campus now.

Found and was able to show our children the room in the language building where their parents met!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 12:33:46 PM »

Found and was able to show our children the room in the language building where their parents met!

French class?  ;)
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 12:39:05 PM »

The location where I met my wife is roughly where the Annex/Jimmy John's is right now.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »
For pre- and post- gaming on game day, hit Major Goolsby's and/or the Brat House.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 02:00:31 PM »
I can't believe no dentist has warned you about the rampant crime yet. Good thing you won't have a car.

No crime when I attended. People even parked their cars on West Wisconsin.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 02:15:21 PM »
No crime when I attended. People even parked their cars on West Wisconsin.

Looking east from about 15th Street I'd say. With the old Jesuit Residence foreground left and the Varsity Theater beyond that