collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The 10 Most Ridiculous College Protests Of 2016  (Read 3197 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: The 10 Most Ridiculous College Protests Of 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
I don't like much that UT Austin does, but the Cocks not Glaucs protest was fantastic.

#8 might actually prove to be effective. New Dear Colleague Letter on Title IX came out over the summer and made some pretty clear requirements for more gender neutral facilities. Universities across the country are struggling to figure out how much they need to do to be up to compliance.

The only one on there that I found truly ridiculous was the protest of low grades. That just reeks of entitlement to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
I don't like much that UT Austin does, but the Cocks not Glaucs protest was fantastic.

#8 might actually prove to be effective. New Dear Colleague Letter on Title IX came out over the summer and made some pretty clear requirements for more gender neutral facilities. Universities across the country are struggling to figure out how much they need to do to be up to compliance.

The only one on there that I found truly ridiculous was the protest of low grades. That just reeks of entitlement to me.

Agree in general.  Even the ridiculous one has some merit.  I disagree with the students sentiment regarding low grades, but understand their likely motivation. 

The problem lies in the fact that most good jobs now require post-baccalaureate degrees.  Getting into the best programs requires good grades in comparison to those you are in competition against at other universities. 

Some universities, Oberlin I believe (and my own university) grade hard in a manner consistent with those 10-20 years ago.  Many others do not.  Some departments relevant for pre-med students at Yale for instance, have informal policies that say the average grade in a course must be no lower than a B+, so that their students are extra competitive for medical school/other post bac programs. 

I believe this protest was in having grading schemes comparable to other elite programs where grade inflation is rampant.  So I understand their sentiment, but the solution is not giving everyone higher grades, it is holding universities to a common grade accountability.  The latter will never happen as the elite schools will say our B+ student is comparable to their C student...which is demonstrably false.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
Just missing the cut date-wise:  Students wanting to rename Lynch Memorial Hall because of its alleged racist overtones.  Never mind that it was actually named after a guy whose last name was Lynch.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428291/students-protest-against-name-lynch-memorial-hall-because-its-too-triggering
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
Number 7 doesn't actually seem that ridiculous. The low grade one though................

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »

I was a Biology/Chemistry double major at MU. There were a lot of pre-med/pre dental school students in those courses. Most courses were graded on curve and we all knew the rules on how grades were determined. In one midterm I scored a 92 out of a 100 and got a C grade. I could not argue that as a 92 was the median grade for that test.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
I was a Biology/Chemistry double major at MU. There were a lot of pre-med/pre dental school students in those courses. Most courses were graded on curve and we all knew the rules on how grades were determined. In one midterm I scored a 92 out of a 100 and got a C grade. I could not argue that as a 92 was the median grade for that test.

That's why professors shouldn't curve until after they see the results.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
Grading on a curve is stupid.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
Grading on a curve is stupid.

Strongly disagree.  I technically grade on a curve.  I design my tests so that it challenges everyone, that means scores over a 90 are not tremendously common, but all students are challenged. 

In the end, I adjust the grade scale (curve) to set the class average at between a C -- B- depending on how the students perform relative to historical classes. 

It's a way to adjust for a test being too hard, too easy and maintain historically comparative grade scales. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Strongly disagree.  I technically grade on a curve.  I design my tests so that it challenges everyone, that means scores over a 90 are not tremendously common, but all students are challenged. 

In the end, I adjust the grade scale (curve) to set the class average at between a C -- B- depending on how the students perform relative to historical classes. 

It's a way to adjust for a test being too hard, too easy and maintain historically comparative grade scales.

there were some test scores in organic where passing was 30-40. i mean, 60-65 was an "A" or some such nonsense.  always wondered about those.  either the test was too hard, the professor wasn't very good,  the prof didn't emphasize what he/she wanted us to take away from all the material presented, the class was collectively too stupid...? 

i remember seeing our test results, vomitting all over ourselves, then waiting with baited breath for him/her to post the curve.  never seen so many happy/relieved to get 40
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »
  "The only one on there that I found truly ridiculous was the protest of low grades. That just reeks of entitlement to me."

only one?

do you have a man bun or a pony tail?  extra leniency if it is braided  ;D

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »
there were some test scores in organic where passing was 30-40. i mean, 60-65 was an "A" or some such nonsense.  always wondered about those.  either the test was too hard, the professor wasn't very good,  the prof didn't emphasize what he/she wanted us to take away from all the material presented, the class was collectively too stupid...? 

i remember seeing our test results, vomitting all over ourselves, then waiting with baited breath for him/her to post the curve.  never seen so many happy/relieved to get 40

I gave one of those exams once.  First year teaching the course, first exam.  I way overestimated the students ability and the exam was too hard.  There wasn't enough mix of easier and harder questions...just all hard.

I usually shoot for around a 85-87 being the lowest A- and needing above a 50 to pass.  Essentially instead of grade ranges usually being about 10 points, I make it around 13.  Mild curve that allows me to challenge the students more so that the best students are still pressured to work hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »
Nah.  Grading on a curve is stupid. 

You should grade against how well the individual knows the subject.  Not versus one another.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 02:27:10 PM »
Just missing the cut date-wise:  Students wanting to rename Lynch Memorial Hall because of its alleged racist overtones.  Never mind that it was actually named after a guy whose last name was Lynch.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428291/students-protest-against-name-lynch-memorial-hall-because-its-too-triggering

niggardly, an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly", because of its phonetic similarity to the racial slur

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Nah.  Grading on a curve is stupid. 

You should grade against how well the individual knows the subject.  Not versus one another.

I do grade on how well the individual knows the subject, but what I do is still a curve as it deviates from standard norms as scores relate to grade (e.g. 90-100 A).  Adjusting the grade scale to reflect the students understanding of the subject (not versus one another) is still a curve.  We're having a misunderstanding based on the definition of a curve. 

Having a gaussian distribution is more in relation to how one constructs a test, not some formula applied later.  Students come in with generally a gaussian distribution of knowledge and abilities.  They also have a roughly gaussian distribution of effort.  If you need to apply a formula to get a gaussian distribution in performance/understanding, you are not designing tests well, or admissions had a banner year (all students exceed historical norms; in which case more A's/B's than normal), or they sucked (all students are worse than historical norms; in which case for F's/drops). 

I've had one year where the A's/B's were historically disproportionately high; and although I haven't taught the freshman this year, my colleagues tell me this year is disproportionately poor. 

And given that I've received numerous teaching awards and my students outperform their peers in subsequent classes and downstream careers, I'll stick with my method...yes I keep such statistics to determine what works/doesn't and modify my methods as need be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
I got ya.  And mostly I was just being difficult.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
I gave one of those exams once.  First year teaching the course, first exam.  I way overestimated the students ability and the exam was too hard.  There wasn't enough mix of easier and harder questions...just all hard.

I usually shoot for around a 85-87 being the lowest A- and needing above a 50 to pass.  Essentially instead of grade ranges usually being about 10 points, I make it around 13.  Mild curve that allows me to challenge the students more so that the best students are still pressured to work hard.

that's fair and a bit more revealing for both the teacher and the student-well done!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
I thought this was a funny way to recap 2016.  I didn't realize how strange the 2016 news was just by reading the titles.

13 Most WTF Stories of 2016
From clowns to conspiracies to a very popular gorilla, this year got weird

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lists/most-wtf-stories-of-2016-w458082

feedback