collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The announcement is made  (Read 5980 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Murffieus

• All American
Re: The announcement is made
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »
IMO-----Thompson is the one guy Hillary can beat. Doesn't have the stamina, organizational skills, and looks 10-15 years older than he is. Plus if he ever did get the nomination his appeal is too conservative based, and he won't attract mass appeal.

We're going to have to settle for a hybrid conservative this time if we want to win-----like Rudy or Romney!

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »
thompson is the one guy hillary cant beat!

i know many republicans who will vote for hillary if it comes downt to her and rudy.  rudy is basically a democrat and has been extremely weak in the debates.

hillary also wouldnt beat huckabee.  he has to be moving up after the way he has presented himself in all the debates.  especially when he went toe to toe with sen. paul last night.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
jutaw----no way is a conservative going to win this election (as much as I would like a conservative to win)------Bush is widely perceived as a conservative yet with only a 30% approval rating (for whatever reason)-----under these circumstances, Hillary would have to be caught up in some huge scandal to lose to a conservative.

People will be looking for a perceived change-----Huckabee and Thompson are NOT a change (too far to the to right for the times)------Rudi and Romney are closer to the middle and are electable!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »

i know many republicans who will vote for hillary if it comes downt to her and rudy.  rudy is basically a democrat and has been extremely weak in the debates.

Any Republican who tells you that is either not a Republican or a liar. Probably both. To think that a staunch GOPer's response to a moderate Republican candidate would be to vote for a left-leaning Democrat is absurd. Especially when that left-leaning Democrat is largely despised by every card-carrying member of the GOP.

And Rudy is not largely a Democrat. Yes, he's moderate on the social issues the GOP base obsesses over (as is most of the country), but conservative on foreign policy, the economy and a host of other issues.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:41:24 AM »
Against Thompson or Huckabee----Hillary would move somewhat toward the right during the campaign and annihilate either one!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »
I think Pakuni is right about the GOP voters, but of the independents I think is where the day is made.

If it's Rudy and Hillary, I vote for neither and by default that means Hillary wins.  I absolutely will not vote for Rudy in any way, shape or form.  Period.  I would vote for Thompson, Huckabee, Hunter over Hillary, but not Rudy.

There are many others that feel the same way.  He is not a likable man and part of politics is simply do they like you.  He'll lose many of those votes as a result.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »
I think Pakuni is right about the GOP voters, but of the independents I think is where the day is made.

If it's Rudy and Hillary, I vote for neither and by default that means Hillary wins.  I absolutely will not vote for Rudy in any way, shape or form.  Period.  I would vote for Thompson, Huckabee, Hunter over Hillary, but not Rudy.

Are you claiming to be an independent voter?

I'm curious, though, as why you have such a dislike for Rudy? Explain further, please.

I would note that your feeling is not in line with that of most voters. Rudy ranks just behind Obama in likeability, according to national polls.If you're worried about the GOP's ability to attract independent voters, then Rudy should be your guy. Polls show independents far prefer Rudy to Hillary. I think it's safe to say that if Rudy is the nominee, the GOP would be more likely to attract independent voters.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »
IDK, Chicos, if it's Hillary and anyone else, I vote for anyone else..., as would many.  Hillary's been involved in so many scandals and been so hypocritical re Bill's 'indiscretions' that, IMHO, the slime won't wash off.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

Are you claiming to be an independent voter?

I'm curious, though, as why you have such a dislike for Rudy? Explain further, please.

I would note that your feeling is not in line with that of most voters. Rudy ranks just behind Obama in likeability, according to national polls.If you're worried about the GOP's ability to attract independent voters, then Rudy should be your guy. Polls show independents far prefer Rudy to Hillary. I think it's safe to say that if Rudy is the nominee, the GOP would be more likely to attract independent voters.

I'm claiming to be an independent in how political pollsters ask are you a Democrat, Republican or Independent.  I have no party affiliation.  I find the Republican politicians soft and corrupt and the Democrat politicians hypocrites and even more corrupt.

I've stated here many times before, I didn't vote for Bush's dad, I didn't vote for Dole, I held my nose to vote for Bush in 2000 because "compassionate conservatism" was code word for moderate but I enthusiastically voted for him in 2004 because of the war on terror, tax cuts and judicial appointments.

So yes, I'm an independent voter.  I don't vote for people because they have an "R" by their name or a "D" by their name.  Same as I refuse to vote for Arnold in this state.  It's ideology for me.  If you're a conservative Democrat running against a moderate Republican, the conservative Democrat gets my vote.

As for Rudy, I support his position on Iraq and crime, I generally support his position on taxes though he leaves me squeamish in a few areas there.  Socially...well I've always had a hiccup with him.  I'm also never to keen on big city politicians for miriad of reasons....though he did some very good things in my opinion, he's still a big city politician.  His position on immigration is all over the damn board, his position on abortion I'll never agree with.  I think he would appoint conservatives to the bench by and large.

And ultimately, as the Democratic party continues to slide left with the DailyKos, MoveOn.org, BDS sufferers we need a counter balance in this country.  Instead I see the Republican party sliding left at the same time and Rudy, Arnold, McCain and a few others leading that charge.  I will not be supporting them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 02:20:49 PM »
Murff and Pakuni, this one if for you...from the NewRepublic (a left leaning magazine).  A good read on Rudy and Obama and their nationwide appeal, etc

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1892141/posts

feedback