[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WSCR Chicago reporting Wrigley Field to be torn down  (Read 18343 times)

🏀

• All American
WSCR Chicago reporting Wrigley Field to be torn down
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
Quite possibly as early as 2010, Wrigley could be getting torn down and rebuilt. In the mean time, the Cubs would be looking to play at Hell in the Cell (US Cellular Field).

Sounds like they want to reconstruct the grandstands in the same fashion they reconstructed the bleachers last year. I personally think they should also look to add a couple of home games at Miller Park, along with US Cellular.

This also opens up a very good observation to be made: Will the Cubs still draw without Wrigley Field for a year? Personally, I've been to The Cell 10-15 times for a game, and I've never once felt safe. I bet they could outsell the White Sox in their own park though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:30:48 PM by marqptm »

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: WSCR Chicago reporting Wrigley Field to be torn down
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »
Seriously, why would you not "feel safe" at US Cellular Field? That's ridiculous. There are 30,000 people around you! Besides, the area west of the ballpark is nice. It's the other side of the expressway that's bad.

You're just fulfilling a stereotype about Cub fans...and I'm a Cub fan!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
Seriously, why would you not "feel safe" at US Cellular Field? That's ridiculous. There are 30,000 people around you! Besides, the area west of the ballpark is nice. It's the other side of the expressway that's bad.

Where to start? First, I like the White Sox, and have no hatred towards them, so I'm not being irrational due to being a Cubs fan.

I was there twice as a youngster and saw a violent fight each time. The amount of homeless around the stadium is ridiculous after games.

Last year I was down there for the Cubs v. White Sox game, and saw a T-Shirt vendor have his stand flipped and then chased down the street by another T-Shirt vendor.

I'm sure these aren't isolated situations.

It's only the matter of safety around the ballpark, but driving out as well. CPD doesn't make a strong presence down there.

And let's be honest, the White Sox 30,000 attendance?  ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »
Personally this is the option I have always wanted.  Wrigley Field is the bleachers and scoreboard and marquee and rooftops.  No one cares about the grandstands.

Simply tear the grandstands down and rebuild them to look the same but this time with the modern amenities.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

Where to start? First, I like the White Sox, and have no hatred towards them, so I'm not being irrational due to being a Cubs fan.

I was there twice as a youngster and saw a violent fight each time. The amount of homeless around the stadium is ridiculous after games.

Last year I was down there for the Cubs v. White Sox game, and saw a T-Shirt vendor have his stand flipped and then chased down the street by another T-Shirt vendor.

It's only the matter of safety around the ballpark, but driving out as well. CPD doesn't make a strong presence down there.

You are right about the 30,000 in attendance.

They actually averaged 33,140 last year, so that means you were even safer.

And if you were there in 2006 it was 36,511.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »

For once, PRN and I agree. You fulfill every bad stereotype of Cubs fans.
The area around the Cell is very safe and Chicago police crime statistics prove this. In fact, those statistics (at least the last time I saw them) show that you're more likely to be the victim of a crime walking around Wrigley than you are the Cell. (Generally speaking, they're both pretty safe neighborhoods considering they're in a city of almost three million people).
You saw a scary fight there? Goodness me. Cause we all know there aren't any drunken brawls in or around Wrigley. Nope, no beer muscles on display at the Friendly Confines. Perish the thought.

Why does the CPD need to exercise a "strong presence" around the Cell? Too many dark-skinned folks around for your liking?

If you seriously felt ever felt threatened at the Cell, how the heck did you/do you ever survive at Marquette?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
You've never felt safe at The Cell? Seriously? There are cops everywhere after games. One of the nicest areas in Chicago is literally right near by. Ten years ago it wasn't as good, but you really have to go out of your way to find trouble around there.

As for sightlines, if you're sitting downstairs, it's a great ballpark. Wide open, can see the game from the concourse. Plenty of bathrooms, and some of the best food of any ball park in the major's.

I don't hate the Cubs, but I would LOVE to see how many they draw at The Cell.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

following this logic, why would anyone ever want to come to Marquette. Your description of the surrounding areas by U.S. Cellular is eerily similar to the MU neighborhood

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
Personally this is the option I have always wanted.  Wrigley Field is the bleachers and scoreboard and marquee and rooftops.  No one cares about the grandstands.

Simply tear the grandstands down and rebuild them to look the same but this time with the modern amenities.

Totally agree. Although I don't think the grandstand is as dumpy as some make it out to be -- Fenway is a MUCH bigger dump -- I think it would be great to rebuild them.

By the way, as I mentioned, I am a Cub fan and I think The Cell is great. I also like Miller Park -- but I hate the slide. Bring back the beer stein!! It's the "Brewers" for goodness sakes!!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »
Quite possibly as early as 2010, Wrigley could be getting torn down

So... how much to operate the wrecking ball  ;)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

Totally agree. Although I don't think the grandstand is as dumpy as some make it out to be -- Fenway is a MUCH bigger dump -- I think it would be great to rebuild them.

By the way, as I mentioned, I am a Cub fan and I think The Cell is great. I also like Miller Park -- but I hate the slide. Bring back the beer stein!! It's the "Brewers" for goodness sakes!!!!

Agree 100% on just about everything PRN said. Fenway is a cool place to see a game once, maybe twice, but as much as they try to improve it, that place is a dump.

I think the Brewers should not only bring the stein back, but also have a logo of a beer mug/beer foam in some fashion/form. Done right, I think it would be sweet.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »
The Red Sox are planning building a new Fenway nearly identical to the current one much like the Yankees are doing with their new stadium looking like the orginal Yankee Stadium.

New Fenway:
http://ballparks.com/baseball/american/bosbpk.htm

New Yankee:
http://ballparks.com/baseball/american/nyybpk.htm

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »
As Dish said, as a youngster, 10 years ago or so, was when i saw two fights in the middle of the street. I'm pretty sure they weren't there for the baseball game.

I've never seen anything like that at Marquette nor around Wrigley.

Getting that aside...

Redoing the grandstand will be a great idea. They can expand luxury boxes. New structural engineering can remove almost every obstructed view. New TVs in the way back. New concessions, and new look for everything. If anyone has seen the new Bleachers, they can do an outstanding job with the old stadium.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
Incidentally, I have never heard of a fight at a ballpark that involves an innocent bystander (other than the Royals first base coach.) If there are fights in the stands, it's likely a result of TWO drunken idiots. Therefore, if you're not a drunken idiot, you're not going to get in a fight.

Drunk is fine, preferred even. Angry drunken...not so much.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
The Red Sox are planning building a new Fenway nearly identical to the current one much like the Yankees are doing with their new stadium looking like the orginal Yankee Stadium.

New Fenway:

New Yankee:

I think this info is old, and having looked at this link, it is. This new Fenway is still a pipe dream, and isn't happening anytime soon, if it ever does.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 03:52:17 PM »
Incidentally, I have never heard of a fight at a ballpark that involves an innocent bystander (other than the Royals first base coach.) If there are fights in the stands, it's likely a result of TWO drunken idiots. Therefore, if you're not a drunken idiot, you're not going to get in a fight.

Drunk is fine, preferred even. Angry drunken...not so much.

Very true, but it still leaves an impression on a young mind. The T-Shirt vendor was somewhat comical, but I don't think the guy running away was feeling great if he was caught.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »
Getting that aside...

Oh yes, getting your complete ignorance about US Cellular and the surrounding neighborhood aside...  I also love your anecdotal evidence -- "this one time I was there and I saw a fight!  goodness me!"

Yes -- all of us Sox fans and southsiders are William Ligue Jr types who love to get drunk and brawl.  In fact, I think he's being added to the LF wall this season.  Gosh do I love people who make pointless generalizations and completely ignorant, trolling comments.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:01:15 PM by CWSKeith »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

New Fenway:

New Yankee:

I think this info is old, and having looked at this link, it is. This new Fenway is still a pipe dream, and isn't happening anytime soon, if it ever does.

Yeah, those plans were abandoned in 2005.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »
Here is some updated new Yankee Staidum info.  I hate the Yankees but this new stadium looks pretty sweet.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/new_stadium.jsp

Of course it should be sweet for $1.3 billion!

Article on the $1.3 billion stadium:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-newyankeestadium&prov=ap&type=lgns

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
Getting that aside...

Oh yes, getting your complete ignorance about US Cellular and the surrounding neighborhood aside...  I also love your anecdotal evidence -- "this one time I was there and I saw a fight!  goodness me!"

Yes -- all of us Sox fans and southsiders are William Ligue Jr types who love to get drunk and brawl.  In fact, I think he's being added to the LF wall this season.  Gosh do I love pointless generalizations and trolling comments.

It's not ignorance when you've experience it three times.

I applaud the surrounding areas for getting better if it has. I cannot say I've been down there more than once in the past 8 years.

CWSKeith, please don't attack me with a mini-baseball bat because I've had three bad experiences at Hell in the Cell. Please, that would be so un-White Sox fan like.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:04:15 PM by marqptm »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
Someone still pissed about this?

Classic!  ;D

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
I have a hard time seeing the Brewers allowing the Cubs to play home games at Miller Park.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
I have a hard time seeing the Brewers allowing the Cubs to play home games at Miller Park.

Nothing 80% of the gate receipts couldn't solve.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

Nothing 80% of the gate receipts couldn't solve.

I doubt the Brewers would have any problem with the Cubs using the place for a couple series. They get concessions, and a take at the gate. I would venture out the Cubs would bring in 40,000+ to a weekend series at Miller Park.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
There isn't even the slightest chance the Cubs will play a home game in Miller Park. Hell will freeze over before this ever happens.

Once the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (the one's who are pushing these changes) buys Wrigley Field, if you think they'll let revenue get outside of the state or (even moreso) a facility they own, you are insane.

If this does go down, Cubs fans better get used to The Cell.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
There isn't even the slightest chance the Cubs will play a home game in Miller Park. Hell will freeze over before this ever happens.

Once the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (the one's who are pushing these changes) buys Wrigley Field, if you think they'll let revenue get outside of the state or (even moreso) a facility they own, you are insane.

Good call. Didn't make the connection.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »

take the Lakefront Brewery Tour, its there in their Brewery.  The beer keg I mean
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

take the Lakefront Brewery Tour, its there in their Brewery.  The beer keg I mean

The beer keg is in there, and you can go inside Bernie's Terrace.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
Quite possibly as early as 2010, Wrigley could be getting torn down and rebuilt. In the mean time, the Cubs would be looking to play at Hell in the Cell (US Cellular Field).

Sounds like they want to reconstruct the grandstands in the same fashion they reconstructed the bleachers last year. I personally think they should also look to add a couple of home games at Miller Park, along with US Cellular.

This also opens up a very good observation to be made: Will the Cubs still draw without Wrigley Field for a year? Personally, I've been to The Cell 10-15 times for a game, and I've never once felt safe. I bet they could outsell the White Sox in their own park though.

What is 670's source on this?

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »
Getting that aside...

Yes -- all of us Sox fans and southsiders are William Ligue Jr types who love to get drunk and brawl.  In fact, I think he's being added to the LF wall this season.  Gosh do I love pointless generalizations and trolling comments.

I applaud the surrounding areas for getting better if it has. I cannot say I've been down there more than once in the past 8 years.

CWSKeith, please don't attack me with a mini-baseball bat because I've had three bad experiences at Hell in the Cell. Please, that would be so un-White Sox fan like.

Yes it is -- it's ignorance at it's best.  You're taking anecdotal evidence and trying to push it as the norm.  That's utterly ignorant.

Keep trying to back up your dumbass remarks, though -- please.

And I'm not the one who's pissed about anything.  You're the guy stirring the pot with attendence remarks (that are completely false -- nothing I love than a person who thinks they know what they're talking about but, in reality, don't have a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clue) and bashing US Cellular, so...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:07:27 PM by CWSKeith »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
Getting that aside...

Yes it is -- it's ignorance at it's best.  You're taking anecdotal evidence and trying to push it as the norm.  That's utterly ignorant.

Ah typical White Sox Fan. Let me help...

As stated in my original post, I said I didn't feel safe there. When called into question, I stated why. Three incidents that have happened while I was there.

So the 'norm' I am pushing is that I don't feel safe there, and then backed up by my 'anecdotal' evidence.

Let's try in an equation. Witness Violence = Unsafe feeling.

Sorry for pushing the 'norm' that is my personal feelings.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:13:34 PM by marqptm »

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »
Getting that aside...

Ah typical White Sox Fan.

Calling a spade a spade (or in this case, an idiot an idiot)?  I'm okay with that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »
Getting that aside...

Ah typical White Sox Fan.

Calling a spade a spade (or in this case, an idiot an idiot)?  I'm okay with that.

Sure, as long as I'm not coaching 1st base.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
I'd hope to God you're not this ignorant outside of a message board. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
I got a simple message: CWS/PTM - knock it off.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:38 PM »
sounds like a few people in this thread have beer muscles  ;D

But as a Boston transplant, I totally agree about the dumpiness of Fenway.  $100 for a scalped bleacher ticket, $9 beers, $7 fenway franks, every game hearing "yankees suck cheers, no matter who they are playing...i could go on

the only lasting memory, is the picture below of me taken off of my TiVo going over the tarp for a foul ball during the Pedro return game 2 years ago...and yes, the d-bag behind snagged it away from me...

i'm still bitter

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »

Good call. Didn't make the connection.

Regardless of whoever buys the Cubs, I just can't see the Brewers allowing their chief divisional rival to play home games at Miller Park. Probably not on the same level, but (and imagine for a minute that Chicago was nearer to St. Louis) do you think the Cardinals would let the Cubs use Busch Stadium? If the scenario was reversed, would the Cubs let the Cards play home games at Wrigley? Could be wrong, but I don't see it happening.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 07:25:09 AM »
I agree it would be unlikely, but I think you may have it backwards. I'm assuming the Brewers for example would be all too happy to take the Cubs money. I think the Cubs not wanting to give it to them might be a bigger issue that would prevent something like this. Unless baseball were to step in, which I suppose is possible, there is no question who would have the leverage when it comes to negotiating the arrangement.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »
It's not even that it's unlikely. It flat out won't happen. Period.

The ISFA, Blago, Daley, Madigan will absolutely not let a single Cubs game leave the state of Illinois. Not happening.

When I worked for the Bears, internally we wanted the 2002 season to be played in South Bend, not Champaign. Do you know how fast and quickly that idea got nixed?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
It's not even that it's unlikely. It flat out won't happen. Period.

The ISFA, Blago, Daley, Madigan will absolutely not let a single Cubs game leave the state of Illinois. Not happening.

When I worked for the Bears, internally we wanted the 2002 season to be played in South Bend, not Champaign. Do you know how fast and quickly that idea got nixed?

Bears at ND would have been awesome.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »
In 2002, ND might have won.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 09:51:26 AM »
By the way, the White Sox DID play a handful of home games in Milwaukee years ago.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
The Sox did play some games in Milwaukee in the late 60's, but that was completely different, as there was no Brew Crew yet.

Some could argue that if it wasn't for those White Sox games in Milwaukee, the Brewers might not be there today.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
that's not all....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/814904,CST-NWS-wrig27.article

McDonald's Field?
Sara Lee Park?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
The next three-four years will be very interesting for the Cubs brand and their fans. Within that time, they'll have gone through three ownership people/groups (Trib, Zell, TBD), a new name to their ball park, perhaps a year on the South Side, with perhaps a "new" ball park.

I've never understood the people up in arms about changing the name. As a Sox fan, I still call our place Comiskey form time to time, or Sox park, or just The Cell. I don't know of any Sox fan who calls it US Cellular Field. Changing the name made it a better park, and in part a better product on the field.

Even though I'm not a Cubs fan, I'd probably still call the place Wrigley, as I would imagine most Cubs fans would.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »
I was pretty upset about changing the name. I thought Wrigley would stay put like Fenway and Yankee in their respected stadiums. What really doesn't make sense to me is that Zell is going to sell the naming rights, he's going to collect the cash on it, and then sell it off to someone else. Meaning, the naming of the field won't actually help the stadium or the team.

However, I think it will be done respectfully. Wrigley will stay in the name.
Motorola presents Wrigley Field
Motorola Park at Wrigley Field
Empire Carpet at Wrigley Field
I think it will be something along those lines.

However, I will throw away all reservations if it becomes Peter Francis Geraci Field.

Brewer Fans have it well, Miller Park is a great corporate named stadium. It is a naming right contract right?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »
I was pretty upset about changing the name. I thought Wrigley would stay put like Fenway and Yankee in their respected stadiums. What really doesn't make sense to me is that Zell is going to sell the naming rights, he's going to collect the cash on it, and then sell it off to someone else. Meaning, the naming of the field won't actually help the stadium or the team.

However, I will throw away all reservations if it becomes Peter Francis Geraci Field.

Brewer Fans have it well, Miller Park is a great corporate named stadium. It is a naming right contract right?

Yes, Miller Park is named after the Brewery.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »

Yes, Miller Park is named after the Brewery.

Did a little research... Miller is paying 2.1 million a year through 2010. If you want to see other naming contracts: http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

2.1 million is nothing compared to Citi's 20 million for the Mets new stadium.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
Really, what's the big deal here?
The Cubs home field has had a corporate name since 1927. It's just that the Wrigley Company didn't have to pay to have its name slapped on the side of the building. (Note: Wrigley Field wasn't always Wrigley Field).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
The Cubs home field has had a corporate name since 1927. It's just that the Wrigley Company didn't have to pay to have its name slapped on the side of the building. (Note: Wrigley Field wasn't always Wrigley Field).

(Note: Wrigley Field was named to honor William Wrigley. Not after a company.)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »
I thought Miller Park was named for Damian Miller   ?-(
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
I thought Miller Park was named for Damian Miller   ?-(

Awesome

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »

I'm sure the notion that naming his ballpark "Wrigley Field" would increase his company's profile and name recognition never occurred to Mr. Wrigley. It was all about honoring himself. Ditto for the Busch family down in St. Louis. These guys clearly were unsophisiticated rubes lacking the business acumen and savvy to come up with that kind of concept.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »

Are you serious????  What his company, which owned the Cubs, decided to honor their owner by calling it Wrigley Field after him and not his company?  Based on that comment, I'm guessing you became a Cubs fan right around 2003.   ::)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
Based on that comment, I'm guessing you became a Cubs fan right around 2003.   ::)

And still wears his We Got Wood T-shirt to every game.

WOOOOOOOOO! CUUBBBBIES!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:25:33 PM by NavinRJohnson »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »

Are you serious????  What his company, which owned the Cubs, decided to honor their owner by calling it Wrigley Field after him and not his company?  Based on that comment, I'm guessing you became a Cubs fan right around 2003.   ::)

Wrigley was known as Weeghman Park prior to Wrigley Field. It was named after their owner, Charles Weeghman. Weeghman  owned various lunch-counters. Was Weeghman a corporate name then?

Upon the downfall of Charles Weeghman, William Wrigley, Junior heavily invested into the club. He invested enough money to acquire full operation of the club. The Weeghman Park name was never removed, but was unofficially referred to as Cubs' Park. This is very similar to White Sox fans calling the Cell Sox Park. Which brings up another point, Was Comiskey a corporate name for Comiskey Park?

Wrigley heavily invested in the team, see players like Gabby Hartnett and Hack Wilson. He also heavily invested in the stadium, increasing capacity from 18,000 to 31,000. After these investments, the name of the stadium was changed to Wrigley Field. Nothing any different from Weeghman or Comiskey.

It's not so much that I believe that it was to honor Wrigley for his contributions to the team, in a manner very similar to two other Chicago baseball investors, it's more of a fact.

Just for fun, I'll site my sources if you care to check to terminology of how Wrigley Field acquired the name:

The Cubs: The Complete Story of Chicago Cubs Baseball by Glenn Stout and Richard Johnson

Chicago Cubs Encyclopedia by Jerome Holtzman

Wrigleyville: A Magical History Tour of the Chicago Cubs by Peter Golenbock

The Story of the Chicago Cubs by Tyler Omoth

Cubs Nation: 162 Games. 162 Stories. 1 Addiction.  by Gene Wojciechowski

Feel free to bust out a Library Card and check them out. If not, stop by my place, I'll have it all tabbed out for your reading pleasure.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:40:40 PM by marqptm »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
William Wrigley was one of the great salesman of the century.   Don't delude yourself that he changed the name of the stadium that he owned to honor himself.  Charles "The Old Roman" Comiskey was a baseball player, manager and owner.  He never owned anything except his team.  He was integral in founding the American League.  He named his stadium in his honor.  He was also a cheap son of a gun who caused the Black Sox. 

Wrigley was the ultimate salesman and knew exactly what he was doing when he renamed his "field in his own honor".  He and Busch were corporate salesman who were ahead of their time. 

I am sure that Ted Turner named his stadium in his own honor and not his corporation. 

Don't believe everything you read.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »
William Wrigley was one of the great salesman of the century.   Don't delude yourself that he changed the name of the stadium that he owned to honor himself.  Charles "The Old Roman" Comiskey was a baseball player, manager and owner.  He never owned anything except his team.  He was integral in founding the American League.  He named his stadium in his honor.  He was also a cheap son of a gun who caused the Black Sox. 

Wrigley was the ultimate salesman and knew exactly what he was doing when he renamed his "field in his own honor".  He and Busch were corporate salesman who were ahead of their time. 

I am sure that Ted Turner named his stadium in his own honor and not his corporation. 

Don't believe everything you read.

If it was such a corporate naming rights issue, where/were all the Wrigley gum advertisements? The double mint twins were featured on the outfield wall for a little under a decade, but removed to expand the stadium.

You would think if WWJr was such a great business man, he would have had his brand everywhere in, on, and around the place.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »

You would think if WWJr was such a great business man, he would have had his brand everywhere in, on, and around the place.

You mean like on the marquee, on the scoreboard, on the programs, on the scorecards, on the tickets, etc.? Yep, hard to find the Wrigley name anywhere around the park.
You're fighting a losing battle here. It's illogical to believe that Mr. Wrigley didn't recognize the benefits his corporation could derive from its link to the Cubs and the ballpark and/or to believe he would not have taken advantage of that opportunity.

Nobody is saying the Cubs are evil because of this. Rather, some of us are pointing out the irony of Cubs fans all in a tizzy over Sam Zell selling name rights to a stadium that already has had a de facto corporate sponsorship for eight decades.

"Perhaps the Wrigley Co. will decide that, after getting it for free for so long, that it's time to pay for it." - Sam Zell

feedback