[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mitchell Report is Out  (Read 10208 times)

🏀

• All American
Mitchell Report is Out
« on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »
From The Score:

Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Paxton Crawford, Wilson Delgado, Lenn y Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsworth, Ryan Franklin, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Mitchell Report is Out
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »
Ozzie Canseco?  I'm crushed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
Wow, LaRussa's career is just surrounded by steroids.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »
Not shocked by Prior being on there, that's been rumored for years. Kerry Wood is a little surprising.

Pettitte, Nomar and Damon are also somewhat surprising.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »
Not shocked by Prior being on there, that's been rumored for years. Kerry Wood is a little surprising.

Pettitte, Nomar and Damon are also somewhat surprising.

I'm not surprised at all about Wood, given his dramatic weight loss the past year or so. He was just one of many major leaguers to get skinny all of a sudden once MLB started to get semi-serious about steroids, i.e. I-Rod, Giambi, etc.

Pettite was implicated last year, along with Clemens, by Jason Grimsley. And Garciaparra's name has been linked to steroids, though there hadn't previously been much solid evidence against him.

Actually, very few names on that list surprise me.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »

Larussa is a baseball genius.  He's also a liar.  His claim that he never knew about any of his player's steroid use is laughable.

Also, every player that Jose Canseco ratted out a few years ago is on the list.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »
I guess none of the names shocked me, but as mentioned some were a little surprising to finally see them come out on a list like this. I had either forgotten or missed that Pettitte news.

Rich Garces and Wally Joyner though...who knew?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
Joyner has been speculated for awhile now. Was he outed by someone?

The list may not be completely factual. MLB is saying it has errors. It's also not complete.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
What about Pudge/Stick Rod up in detroit? Not real surprising there. Farnsworth, another surprise! Didn't Gary Matthews get caught with HGH or something?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:47:51 AM by MilTown »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »
Larussa is a baseball genius.  He's also a liar.

You forgot to mention a drunk too!

MU_Grad02

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
Where did you find that list?  I havent seen that comprehensive of a list yet.

Also, SI is reporting Chuck Knoblauch is in the report too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/12/13/mitchell.news/index.html?eref=T1

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
The Mitchell Report is being streamed live by msn.com

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »

Dusty Baker too. Those two don't appear on that list, yet they are all over that list.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
Gagne's name is in the official Mitchell report.  Here's the entire text concerning him.  Sorry for the length.

Eric Gagné

Eric Gagné is a relief pitcher who began his career in Major League Baseball with
the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1999 and played with the Dodgers through 2006. In 2007, he played
for the Texas Rangers and the Boston Red Sox, and in December he signed with the Milwaukee
Brewers. In 2002 and 2003, Gagné was the Los Angeles Dodgers Player of the Year. In 2003,
he saved 55 games and won the Cy Young Award and the National League Rolaids Relief
Pitcher of the Year. In 2004, he saved 45 games and again won the National League Rolaids
Relief Pitcher of the Year. He has played in three All-Star games.
Paul Lo Duca and Gagné were teammates with the Dodgers from 1999 to 2004.
Although he is not sure when, Radomski recalled that Lo Duca called Radomski and told
Radomski that Gagné was with him and wanted to buy human growth hormone. Gagné then
came onto the phone and asked Radomski a question about how to get air out of a syringe. This
is the only time Radomski spoke to Gagné. Radomski said that Lo Duca thereafter placed orders
on Gagné’s behalf.
Radomski said that he mailed two shipments to Gagné, each consisting of two kits
of human growth hormone. One was sent to Gagné’s home in Florida; the other was sent to
Dodger Stadium. Federal agents seized from Radomski’s home a copy of an Express Mail
422 See supra at 131 (discussing meetings and notes).
423 See Tyler Kepner, Sheffield Thinks Twice; No Hesitation for Brown, N.Y. Times,
Dec. 15, 2003, at Sports 1.
receipt showing a shipment to “Dodger Stadium, c/o Eric Gagne – L.A. Dodgers Home Club,
1000 Elysian Park Ave., Los Angeles, California 90012” dated August 9, 2004. A copy of this
receipt is included in the Appendix and is shown below. Radomski said that this was for one of
the shipments of human growth hormone to Gagné.
Lo Duca paid Radomski for one of the shipments to Gagné by cashier’s check in
the amount of $3,200. The Lo Duca checks supplied by Radomski reflect two payments of
$3,200 (each the cost of two kits) within a six-week time frame during the summer of 2004.
Radomski said that, on one other occasion, Gagné sent Radomski $3,200 in cash by FedEx.
According to notes of the October 2003 meetings of Dodgers officials, it was
reportedly said of Gagné that: “he probably takes medication and tendons and ligaments don’t
build up just the muscle.”424
When the Boston Red Sox were considering acquiring Gagné, a Red Sox official
made specific inquiries about Gagné’s possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to
a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, “Have you done any digging on Gagne?
I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his
medical?”425 The scout, Mark Delpiano, responded,
Some digging on Gagne and steroids IS the issue. Has had a
checkered medical past throughout career including minor leagues.
Lacks the poise and commitment to stay healthy, maintain body
and re invent self. What made him a tenacious closer was the max
effort plus stuff . . . Mentality without the plus weapons and
without steroid help probably creates a large risk in bounce back
durability and ability to throw average while allowing the changeup
to play as it once did . . . Personally, durability (or lack of) will
follow Gagne . . .426
In order to provide Gagné with information about these allegations and to give
him an opportunity to respond, I asked him to meet with me; he declined.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
Here's the link to the full 409 page (wow) report.

http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
I don't see Wood or Prior anywhere in there

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »
Doing a word search on the pdf of the report, I'm not finding a lot of those names, including prior, wood, pujols, nomar, bagwell. Also, some of the names that are in there just report previous findings (such as Ankiel and HGH, which he claims was prescribed) and make no further revelations.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 01:49:03 PM »
Here's a link, per deadspin, of everyone on the list excluding those linked to the HGH investigation (Bonds, Sheff, etc.).

http://deadspin.com/sports/the-official-list/the-complete-list-of-players-mentioned-in-the-mitchell-report-333634.php

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »
OK I don't know a whole lot about baseball to talk about this, but I do know that the Mitchell report is a HUGE deal.  I place a lot of the blame on the commish.  I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning on my way to work, and Greenberg made a pretty good point.  Selig is an 'owner's commissioner' and not a commissioner for the sport.  Greeny was throwing names out there (Bob Costas was one of them) and saying that these guys would do a much better job than Selig.  They would put the sport first rather than the owners.  Until the league says that the commissioner is to be appointed by more than just the owners, this is how its going to be:  in the best interest of the owners = money money money.  It's clear that they have to clean up baseball before they can start worrying about dollars and cents.  

The Marlins make about 3x as much as the team's payroll even before they start selling tickets due to revenue sharing and all that nonsense.  It's a shame that a club that won the World Series a few years ago currently has nobody representing that team on the roster anymore.  They also, if I'm not mistaken, are thinking of moving the club - if not already have planned it out.  I'm not so sure about that, but man, what a waste.  

These, among other reasons, are why I don't watch baseball as much as I used to.  

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »
The Marlins make about 3x as much as the team's payroll even before they start selling tickets due to revenue sharing and all that nonsense.  It's a shame that a club that won the World Series a few years ago currently has nobody representing that team on the roster anymore.  They also, if I'm not mistaken, are thinking of moving the club - if not already have planned it out.  I'm not so sure about that, but man, what a waste. 

These, among other reasons, are why I don't watch baseball as much as I used to. 

I don't know, as a Brewer fan, I kind of like the way the Marlins do things. Win a World Series, and if things don't appear to be shaping up too good in the next year or two, start rebuilding immediately. even when they're good, they don't draw flies in Miami, yet they have won more WS in their short existence than the overwhelming majority of teams in baseball, including markets like Chicago, LA, New York, SF. Obviously a different philosophy from teams who flounder around .500 year after year, but it works.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »
Pujols is not on the list.

None of the others are suprising, in fact many have been rumored in the biz for years and year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
Reading some of the player profiles, there are some that are just ridiculous. Brian Roberts is on there because Bigbie said Roberts did steriods once or twice.

This is not what I was expecting

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
CNBC is still maintaining there original list is legit.  Did MLB cover up some names?

How about the dumbasses that wrote checks out?  It's more of a dumb ass list.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »
CNBC is still maintaining there original list is legit.  Did MLB cover up some names?

How about the dumbasses that wrote checks out?  It's more of a dumb ass list.

That was my thought. How 'bout all the guys intelligent enough to pay cash?

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »
ESPN has a seemingly pretty thorough list of guys with actual page numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646