'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is this it for Henry?  (Read 23890 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Is this it for Henry?
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »
He should invest in restaurants.   That's a good, long term investment strategy for ex-athletes.

I hear he is a silent partner in the Norske Nook in Rice Lake. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
And if this helps JB whine less, Henry's $3,000,000 would be the equivalent of over 40 years of the AVERAGE household income of $73,298. So yeah...decades and decades of money. If you can't stretch that much money for at least a good long while, you just suck at life.
The only thing wrong with this is the assumption that Henry has $3,000,000.
Who knows how much he has actually saved? He could be broke for all we know.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

How much went to his agent?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »

But that's not the point. The point is that $3M is a lot of money and even if you are in your early 20s it can last you a long time if you aren't a dumbass. If he hasn't been financially responsible, he may be broke already, but that doesn't change that the amount of money he was guaranteed on that first contract is enough to last a long time if you aren't stupid about it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
Regrettable outcome for Henry but not surprising. Would have more years at MU helped? I will leave that to the experts to discuss.

No. Worse coaching. Worse facilities, stricter practice laws. No player improves more at the college level then the pro. It's a stupid myth.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »
i hope so, but not to sound smug err anything, $3 mil at age twenty-something really isn't going to go very far.  someone will want him for something-from everything i've seen and heard, he's a good ole wholesome, sharp guy

What world do you live in that 3 million isn't going to last a 22 year old? I would literally murder jsglow for 3 million (beware)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »
That's assuming Henry is living with that type of plan or investing as opposed to hitting up fancy clubs, living in a massive house and putting a lot of that 3million toward that stuff.

thank you bags-that was exactly what i meant.  now don't anyone take this the wrong way, but he could very easily live in a place like rice lake forever on that money.  it would be a great way to live-hunt, fish and make beef jerky in his masterbuilt smoker.   let's just say, as i alluded to somewhat in my post-HE is a sharp guy.  first of all, he could stand to make some good coin in europe.  he will meet a lot of people along the way(networking).  and someone will want a guy like HE within their business, whatever it may be
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:59:09 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
I hear he is a silent partner in the Norske Nook in Rice Lake.

actually, if i was a partner, i'd want HE to be a loud and proud owner of the norske, eyn'a?  more pies for my friends ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »
actually, if i was a partner, i'd want HE to be a loud and proud owner of the norske, eyn'a?  more pies for my friends ;D

Afternoon pie????

Easy Keefe.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »
thank you bags-that was exactly what i meant.  now don't anyone take this the wrong way, but he could very easily live in a place like rice lake forever on that money.  it would be a great way to live-hunt, fish and make beef jerky in his masterbuilt smoker.   let's just say, as i alluded to somewhat in my post-HE is a sharp guy.  first of all, he could stand to make some good coin in europe.   he will meat a lot of people along the way(networking).  and someone will want a guy like HE within their business, whatever it may be

What exactly do you think Henry will be doing again?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
You really like to complain a lot, don't you? I'm sorry if my initial post was misleading. Bottom line, the MEDIAN family based on current dollars would be able to sustain themselves for decades on $3M.

Complaining and proving people wrong has been his thing lately. His posts have become mostly unreadable lately after years of me finding them informative.

Having said that, I don't really add much either.

burger

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
200k feels kind of average these days.....

I guess it is al lin your perspective and life-style.....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »

That's part of the problem with our country. People in the top 5-10% think they're middle class.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »

....yeah....no.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
I'm of the opinion that Henry was smart to go when he did.  It seems his shooting still hasn't really been good. 

What if he stayed 2 or 3 more years and his shooting numbers still didn't improve?  His stock probably goes down as he gets older and numbers don't get better. 

Your opinion sums up what I believe has changed for the worse in the way everyone views sports talents compared with a generation ago.  It used to be that most players blessed with this premier talent played to win, for the love of the game and to continually progress towards being the best at their sport they could be.  Yes if they did all these things and progressed to the professional level they would be well compensated but that wasn't the primary thing they were striving for.  Now its changed so that a player with talent and the people around him are primarily focused on How can we turn this into as much money as possible as quickly as possible.  Making sure I get the money pushes everything else out of the picture.  Which is why we see guys leaving too early, skipping bowl games for fear of possible injury etc.  I remember when players leaving early were categorized as "hardship".  The family economic situation was so bad that they had no choice but to leave early.  Now its not about being desperate.  EVERYBODY is focused on what pays out earliest with least risk.
If Henry had stayed his shot might of gotten worse.  Or for that matter it might have gotten better.  He might have lead his team to big wins, won more conference and national honors, been team leader, hero for the fans, had kids wear jerseys with his name and number on them.  But none of that matters if its all about maximizing payout.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »
Your opinion sums up what I believe has changed for the worse in the way everyone views sports talents compared with a generation ago.  It used to be that most players blessed with this premier talent played to win, for the love of the game and to continually progress towards being the best at their sport they could be.  Yes if they did all these things and progressed to the professional level they would be well compensated but that wasn't the primary thing they were striving for.  Now its changed so that a player with talent and the people around him are primarily focused on How can we turn this into as much money as possible as quickly as possibleMaking sure I get the money pushes everything else out of the picture.  Which is why we see guys leaving too early, skipping bowl games for fear of possible injury etc.  I remember when players leaving early were categorized as "hardship".  The family economic situation was so bad that they had no choice but to leave early.  Now its not about being desperate.  EVERYBODY is focused on what pays out earliest with least risk.
If Henry had stayed his shot might of gotten worse.  Or for that matter it might have gotten better.  He might have lead his team to big wins, won more conference and national honors, been team leader, hero for the fans, had kids wear jerseys with his name and number on them.  But none of that matters if its all about maximizing payout.

Expand beyond sports and you have America today.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Expand beyond sports and you have America today.

Yes sir, on all sides, too. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2018, 04:05:12 AM »
Your opinion sums up what I believe has changed for the worse in the way everyone views sports talents compared with a generation ago.  It used to be that most players blessed with this premier talent played to win, for the love of the game and to continually progress towards being the best at their sport they could be.  Yes if they did all these things and progressed to the professional level they would be well compensated but that wasn't the primary thing they were striving for.  Now its changed so that a player with talent and the people around him are primarily focused on How can we turn this into as much money as possible as quickly as possible.  Making sure I get the money pushes everything else out of the picture.  Which is why we see guys leaving too early, skipping bowl games for fear of possible injury etc.  I remember when players leaving early were categorized as "hardship".  The family economic situation was so bad that they had no choice but to leave early.  Now its not about being desperate.  EVERYBODY is focused on what pays out earliest with least risk.

I hear what ur saying but $5 million is life changing and is almost insane to pass up for any reason.  The only way, as i stated, that i thought it could have made sense to stay is that it delays that 3 year clock.  As in is he possibly better to secure that next contract at 25 than he is at 23?  Yet another poster correctly points out that after his junior season if he was the same bad shooter as he was after his freshman year does he get the $5 million in the first place??  Tough situation.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »

It's always been about extracting money for sports ownership, so it's a little bit weird to believe athletes should continue to pretend that pro sports isn't big business and ignore their earnings potential while their bosses laugh all the way to the bank.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:01 AM »
Look, if the question is whether Henry Ellenson should have stayed, there are two ways to look at it.

HECK YEAH, he should have stayed. If he had stayed even one more year, Marquette would have been a Top 15 team and we likely would have gone deep in the NCAA. Henry gave us something we were lacking and from our standpoint, it would have been a major building block in getting us back to where we were when the Hillbilly was here.

If we look at Ellenson from a Marquette perspective, this probably was the worst early departure since Chones or Lucas.

NO WAY -- The money was great. Even after agents, taxes and assorted payments to hangers on, he could well be set for life. He wasn't going to get much better playing college ball in the Marquette system. He didn't seem to value a college education and the reality was that he was not good enough to get the same money once the full extent of his weaknesses were exposed. He was a very good college player but probably not a particularly good pro player. If the NBA was crazy enough to sign him for what they did, Godspeed young Henry!

The entire debate on Henry Ellenson goes back to these two positions. We either look at the situation through blue and gold glasses and from our perspective, or from his. I've yet to read one substantial argument (including some I made at the time Henry left) that convincingly would suggest another year at Marquette would have made him a better pro player.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »
Look, if the question is whether Henry Ellenson should have stayed, there are two ways to look at it.

If we look at Ellenson from a Marquette perspective, this probably was the worst early departure since Chones or Lucas.

I think Wade and Blue would have driven a much more impactful final result for MU had they stayed. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »
What world do you live in that 3 million isn't going to last a 22 year old? I would literally murder jsglow for 3 million (beware)

:o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »

I don't think things have changed anywhere near as much as you are stating.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
I think Wade and Blue would have driven a much more impactful final result for MU had they stayed.

Interesting argument. Does Travis still get injured Wades senior year if he stayed? Is Blue playing PG or SG if he stays. If blues playing SG we still have Derrick issues and if Travis is still injured it's a similar issue. Henry on the other hand would've been playing on a very well rounded team and could've been the X factor in bringing them to the next level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
Interesting argument. Does Travis still get injured Wades senior year if he stayed? Is Blue playing PG or SG if he stays. If blues playing SG we still have Derrick issues and if Travis is still injured it's a similar issue. Henry on the other hand would've been playing on a very well rounded team and could've been the X factor in bringing them to the next level.

Yeah I don't think Blue would have made that much of a difference.  That team wasn't as good as advertised even with him.