collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 125448 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #800 on: September 26, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »
ICAM.   Out of Florida.   Logic tracks.  Common medicines in combination.

Makes sense. Hope it proves successful in larger-scale use.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #801 on: October 05, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
Why no use of (or at least no mention of) Hydroxy on POTUS?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #802 on: October 05, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
Why no use of (or at least no mention of) Hydroxy on POTUS?

Because he's taking it already to prevent Covid. Obviously
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #805 on: October 13, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »
Well that's 2 of ours paused. At least the British vaccine is back on.

I'm not sure which 2 you're referring to...but if you are including phase 3 vaccine studies, there are 3 studies currently paused in the US:

* this Eli Lilly monoclonal antibody study
* the AstraZeneca vaccine study (the British one; open in UK, but not in US)
* the J & J vaccine study

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »

I'm not sure which 2 you're referring to...but if you are including phase 3 vaccine studies, there are 3 studies currently paused in the US:

* this Eli Lilly monoclonal antibody study
* the AstraZeneca vaccine study (the British one; open in UK, but not in US)
* the J & J vaccine study

JJ and Lilly were the ones I was referring to being paused. AstraZeneca was the one I was referring to being back open after that hiccup a few weeks ago
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #807 on: October 13, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
JJ and Lilly were the ones I was referring to being paused. AstraZeneca was the one I was referring to being back open after that hiccup a few weeks ago

True, but it is still on hold in the US. Given that large numbers of subjects were expected to be enrolled here, I'd call that more than a 'hiccup.' And there are previously enrolled subjects in limbo:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/06/astrazeneca-covid19-second-dose-trial-vaccine/

Kinda makes you wonder if they'll even be able to use the US data at all, given the unexpectedly long lag between doses.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:00:59 PM by GooooMarquette »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #808 on: October 13, 2020, 08:12:30 PM »
Eli Lilly has to pause its antibody treatment trials because subjects are getting sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/13/world/coronavirus-covid?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20201013&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=40859&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa#eli-lilly-antibody-trial-is-paused-because-of-potential-safety-concerns

and you can hardly contain your excitement...good on eli to put the people and safety before anything else.  ya got anything on companies moving positively and safely forward?  buzz kills suck, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #809 on: October 13, 2020, 08:17:55 PM »
  and you can hardly contain your excitement...good on eli to put the people and safety before anything else.  ya got anything on companies moving positively and safely forward?  buzz kills suck, eyn'a?

Perhaps you are not familiar with how clinical trials work, but we almost never know about trials that are going “positively“ until they are done and the data has been analyzed. In fact, study doctors are usually contractually prohibited from imputing positive results to study drugs during the course of the study. Because of that, the public only hears about studies that need to be halted or terminated because of adverse events.

Typically, all the public will know is that the study is proceeding. Nothing more, nothing less.

No classes about clinical research in dental school?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #810 on: October 13, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »

what the eff you talkin' about?

you know, i try to stop by just to see what's happening, but these are the types of posts that make this board tough to read.  come on rock, get to a meeting or something
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #811 on: October 14, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
"Healthcare professional"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #812 on: October 15, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1316822064427339776?s=19

"World Health Organization clinical trial finds Remdesivir has no substantial effect on a patient's chance for survival."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #813 on: October 15, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »

"World Health Organization clinical trial finds Remdes ivir has no substantial effect on a patient's chance for survival."

Well that’s disturbing. So at this point we are basically using immune system boosters and steroids.

Maybe other trials will refute this. Still, not a happy outcome.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #814 on: October 15, 2020, 08:44:47 PM »
Well that’s disturbing. So at this point we are basically using immune system boosters and steroids.

Maybe other trials will refute this. Still, not a happy outcome.

Don't forget Regeneron. I think that is still by far the best option. Too bad we didn't invest more heavily in it right away.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »

"World Health Organization clinical trial finds Remdesivir has no substantial effect on a patient's chance for survival."
Errrr, wasn't that the finding initially as well? That chances of survival did not improve with the drug, but that those that did survive recovered on average 4 days more quickly?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »
Don't forget Regeneron. I think that is still by far the best option. Too bad we didn't invest more heavily in it right away.

Totally agree. I did not mention Regeneron’s monoclonal antibodies because they are not yet approved, but you are right - it holds great promise.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #817 on: October 16, 2020, 07:05:59 AM »

Perhaps you are not familiar with how clinical trials work, but we almost never know about trials that are going “positively“ until they are done and the data has been analyzed. In fact, study doctors are usually contractually prohibited from imputing positive results to study drugs during the course of the study. Because of that, the public only hears about studies that need to be halted or terminated because of adverse events.

Typically, all the public will know is that the study is proceeding. Nothing more, nothing less.

why yes GM, there are many classes that cite clinical research as their method to prove or disprove many things, materials, methods, drugs, etc used in our field.  i can read the reports as well as anyone, but you missed my point.   no need to question my understanding of the scientific methods used here, or was that just a "how many clinical research studies have you had an active participation in jab. 

there are some here that don't know "jack" about how these things work and the fact that situational efficacies must be taken into effect depending on the "risk-reward".  i sense a rooting for the failure of the process here for a few more weeks anyway and find it disgusting as there is a fine line between a little diarrhea and quelling a widespread virus for the good of all   
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2020, 07:15:11 AM »
i sense a rooting for the failure of the process here for a few more weeks anyway and find it disgusting as there is a fine line between a little diarrhea and quelling a widespread virus for the good of all

All this from a link being posted with the topic included?

If you’re projecting based on who posted the article fine, but at least be honest about it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:47:18 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

why yes GM, there are many classes that cite clinical research as their method to prove or disprove many things, materials, methods, drugs, etc used in our field.  i can read the reports as well as anyone, but you missed my point.   no need to question my understanding of the scientific methods used here, or was that just a "how many clinical research studies have you had an active participation in jab. 

there are some here that don't know "jack" about how these things work and the fact that situational efficacies must be taken into effect depending on the "risk-reward".  i sense a rooting for the failure of the process here for a few more weeks anyway and find it disgusting as there is a fine line between a little diarrhea and quelling a widespread virus for the good of all

I worked at a GMP lab for a few years, so I'd say I know jack.  Malarkey.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:18 AM »

Bullsh!t.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »

I don't know of anyone who is 'rooting for failure' here. We are all susceptible to the virus, and we are all sick of wearing masks, socially distancing, and balancing the risks and benefits of visiting with friends and family.  And we (or family or friends) all could get the virus tomorrow...so rooting for delays in treatment is inherently against our interests.

And my key point stands as the simple, straightforward answer to the comment you posed initially: In terms of public information, the clinical trial process is set up so that there will always be more news available about studies being halted for safety issues than there is about studies that are moving along smoothly. Your initial comment seemed to indicate confusion about that topic - sorry if I took it at face value.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:53:24 AM by GooooMarquette »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

you know, i try to stop by just to see what's happening, but these are the types of posts that make this board tough to read.  come on rock, get to a meeting or something
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #824 on: October 16, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
Pfizer:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1317046528637243393?s=19

Straight from the Pfizer CEO:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBourla/status/1317045723540656128?s=19

That's exciting news. Obviously widespread safety is the biggest concern but it is one of the hurdles.