[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 Keys For Tonight?  (Read 3166 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 5 Keys For Tonight?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »
1.   Make it ugly
2.  Run UCLA off the 3 pt line
3.  Rebound. 
4.  Wear them down with pressure.    UCLA has had a rough go of it.   COVID.   Travel issues.    I would turn up the pressure,
5.   Shoot >35% from 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
We need good offensive games from Morsell, Lewis and Kolek tonight. Not saying they all have to score 15-20, they just need to be active and efficient on O. Morsell's been like The Walking Dead the last several games, and Kolek can't buy a bucket.

Would also be nice if Kam is a factor, and if Greg hits a coupla 3s, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
Talk about ugly. I'd take an ugly win over ucla any day. Listen. When I married my wife, she was homely. But she looks better everyday. Always count your blessings.
'

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 06:13:07 PM »
32 deflections.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
Good topic Muggsy, you should make it a thing before every game

I won’t go statistical/analytical because Brew has that covered.

I’ll go with the untracked and equally important emotional/intangible aspect

1- 6’7 control. UCLAs top 3 scorers, Juzang, Bernard, Jaquez Jr. are all 6 foot 7. They all play slightly different. MUs biggest challenge will be to control these guys.

Johnson (6’10) or Riley (6’9) and Tyger (5’11) are the other starters, pretty big drop off when you get to the bench. Kur/Oso on the big, shortest guy on Tyger (Kam, Kolek or other bench guard).

I assume J Lew, Morsell will be covering 2 of the 3 at all times when they are on. Who covers the 3rd? Does Shaka start OMax again or stick with Kam? However coach decides to defend it, the individual and team defense on these 3 will decide the game. IMO send a lot of different guys at them and continually pressure them. Send double teams and try to get the ball out of their hands when possible. Go at them on the offensive end to load up the fouls. Fatigue them and your chances get better as the game progresses.

2- Rust/Fatigue. Well documented they haven’t played in some time. They also had a long night. We have a lot of guys that we can run and continually pressure them, mentally and physically. Use it to our advantage

3- Get Morsell/Kolek going early. Ideally offensively, but even some big defensive plays, steals since they will be undersized but quicker hands, just a big emotional play for both to get them locked into the game.

4- Tyger uppercut. Dudes been a light out 48,6% from 3, way up from his career 26%. He’s not shy to shoot. I like that, use it to MUs advantage. Entice his to chuck early and often, and box out like hell. If he makes then God Bless and goodnight. I like my chances with Tyger Campbell from 3 over the others getting going.

5- Fired up Mickey. Get Mick fired up, get him pissed, get him where he feels more comfortable and perhaps his squad folds right along with him. It’s an emotional game of runs- get the crowd into it early in an ideal world, but at the very least punch em right in the jaw at some point before half and get them rattled. Atmosphere plays a huge role, a lot of teams are struggling on the road today in hostile crowds. Mick isn’t calm, Mick gets angry. Get coach pissed at something and ride the crowd emotionally as much as it can carry you.

Lets do this

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 06:35:51 PM »
32 deflections.

I'd feel a little better if we get 33.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »
Talk about ugly. I'd take an ugly win over ucla any day. Listen. When I married my wife, she was homely. But she looks better everyday. Always count your blessings.
'

Haha wtf, that poor woman

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 06:42:22 PM »
Tyger uppercut. Dudes been a light out 48,6% from 3, way up from his career 26%. He’s not shy to shoot. I like that, use it to MUs advantage. Entice his to chuck early and often, and box out like hell. If he makes then God Bless and goodnight. I like my chances with Tyger Campbell from 3 over the others getting going.

I guess I agree with this -- if I'm picking my poison, I'd pick Campbell shooting too much from deep -- but it's not like he's been The Mad Bomber or anything. He averages fewer 3 attempts per game than Kolek does, and about the same as Morsell and Lewis do. He's just making more of 'em!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »
I guess I agree with this -- if I'm picking my poison, I'd pick Campbell shooting too much from deep -- but it's not like he's been The Mad Bomber or anything. He averages fewer 3 attempts per game than Kolek does, and about the same as Morsell and Lewis do. He's just making more of 'em!

Good point.
In that case let him drive and attempt to shoot over Kur 🤪

I just want him to try to take the game over and shoot a lot, I think that gives MU a better chance. Make him a shoot first rather than pass first guy and if he goes off then you tip your cap.

Gotta pick your poison

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2021, 07:54:01 PM »
I appreciate it Dr. V but if I make it a topic before every game some people will be giving us Key Lime Pie recipes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:25:26 PM by MuggsyB »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
I appreciate it Dr. V but if I make a topic before every game some people will be giving us Key Lime Pie recipes.

Nothing wrong with that, you can make and have a piece with you’re ready game pour over

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »