'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sprained wrist  (Read 2376 times)

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
Sprained wrist
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
Another speculation topic.
Tl;dr The team would be better off in the regular season if Markus had broken his wrist but worse in the NCAA.

If Markus had broken his wrist and was out for the season one month ago, the team would be better than 5/6 to close out considering our competition.

But regular season victories make for the lamest banners. I think Markus will play a meaningful role in the story that is yet to be told, and I’m more optimistic about our tournament chances with him active than I would have been without him.

tower912

• All American
Re: Sprained wrist
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »
The only way that MU would have been better with Markus out due to breaking instead of spraining the wrist, is if it would have caused Greg to burn his red shirt and he came in and played really well.      There is no other scenario where MU is as good or better without Markus.    Markus is the BEPOY, second team all American, and there are two other guards on the roster, one of whom is Chartouny.     
     So, if Markus were out and Greg doesn't lift his red shirt, that would have meant more minutes for Cain and Chartouny.    I cannot believe anyone is going to argue that having Chartouny and Cain split an extra 35 mpg is a good thing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
Another speculation topic.
Tl;dr The team would be better off in the regular season if Markus had broken his wrist but worse in the NCAA.

If Markus had broken his wrist and was out for the season one month ago, the team would be better than 5/6 to close out considering our competition.

But regular season victories make for the lamest banners. I think Markus will play a meaningful role in the story that is yet to be told, and I’m more optimistic about our tournament chances with him active than I would have been without him.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
The only way that MU would have been better with Markus out due to breaking instead of spraining the wrist, is if it would have caused Greg to burn his red shirt and he came in and played really well.      There is no other scenario where MU is as good or better without Markus.    Markus is the BEPOY, second team all American, and there are two other guards on the roster, one of whom is Chartouny.     
     So, if Markus were out and Greg doesn't lift his red shirt, that would have meant more minutes for Cain and Chartouny.    I cannot believe anyone is going to argue that having Chartouny and Cain split an extra 35 mpg is a good thing.

Do you believe that if Markus had not played in the last 6 games, we would have lost every single game? Do you believe we would have had the same record over the last 6 games? Or do you believe the question is irrelevant?

I personally believe that, if he had been completely out of the picture, Wojo would have put together a lineup and game-by-game strategy that would have won at least 4 out of the last 6.

Added after edit:  In other words I believe he is a “giveth and taketh away” category of athlete. And he leans solidly toward “giveth.”
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:28:22 PM by CleanishProgram »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
Do you believe that if Markus had not played in the last 6 games, we would have lost every single game? Do you believe we would have had the same record over the last 6 games? Or do you believe the question is irrelevant?

I personally believe that, if he had been completely out of the picture, Wojo would have put together a lineup and game-by-game strategy that would have won at least 4 out of the last 6.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.   Your argument is that if Markus doesn't play the last 6 games, MU would have gone 4-2 instead of 1-5.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »

Or we could have lost them all by even more.  No way of knowing.  The only time we have played a game this year without Markus was when he got hurt in the game, so G' Town did not prepare for a Markus-less team.  Teams would have pressed us to the hilt. 

Maybe we do better, maybe we don't.  I've certainly been one that has pointed out early in the season that hero ball is a bad thing for us, but still believe MU is better with Markus than without and by a large margin.  He just has to continue to evolve in getting others the ball, it will help his teammates and him as they have to honor the other players.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
I want to make sure I understand you correctly.   Your argument is that if Markus doesn't play the last 6 games, MU would have gone 4-2 instead of 1-5.   

Sorry my mistake ... you are correct... my question is, would we have won at least 2 out of the last 6, thus potentially impacting our seed for thr tourney.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
Or we could have lost them all by even more.  No way of knowing.  The only time we have played a game this year without Markus was when he got hurt in the game, so G' Town did not prepare for a Markus-less team.  Teams would have pressed us to the hilt. 

Maybe we do better, maybe we don't.  I've certainly been one that has pointed out early in the season that hero ball is a bad thing for us, but still believe MU is better with Markus than without and by a large margin.  He just has to continue to evolve in getting others the ball, it will help his teammates and him as they have to honor the other players.

I really like this take. I like the optimism about the future. Whether or not I am optimistic has no bearing on this year’s results but I have pride in my school and when the team is trending up it really mitigates the everyday annoyances of being a father/husband/manager, etc

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
I really like this take. I like the optimism about the future. Whether or not I am optimistic has no bearing on this year’s results but I have pride in my school and when the team is trending up it really mitigates the everyday annoyances of being a father/husband/manager, etc
Maybe that requires deeper analysis eh?
No Finish Line

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
Maybe that requires deeper analysis eh?

Get married, have a kid or two, let me know your take especially if you both work full time and your toddler catches a cold :)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
Get married, have a kid or two, let me know your take especially if you both work full time and your toddler catches a cold :)
Haha just bustin balls. I’m married with 3
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
Sorry my mistake ... you are correct... my question is, would we have won at least 2 out of the last 6, thus potentially impacting our seed for thr tourney.

So your argument is that instead of 1-5 (in the last 6 games), MU will improve to at least 2-4 if Markus doesn't play? That's your belief?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »
If the MU plane went down and took out the entire team, would be the favorite to win the NCAA tournament?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
If the MU plane went down and took out the entire team, would be the favorite to win the NCAA tournament?

Scoopers like Ners and JayBee would step in.

feedback