collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rutger's football coach pulls a Tom Crean  (Read 3754 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Rutger's football coach pulls a Tom Crean
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »
Greg Schiano on Tuesday held a press conference touting the vebal comit of one the best offensive tackles in the country coming to Rutgers. On Wednesday he announces his resignation as head coach as he accepted the head coaching job of the Tampa Bay Bucs. Rutgers athletic director was taken totally by surprise. In order to keep the recruiting class from bailing he had to hire himself as an assistant coach so he could talk to the players and their families. Don't blame him with all this confrence re-alignment crap.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Rutger's football coach pulls a Tom Crean
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
How could Schiano hold a press conference touting a verbal commit?  Coaches aren't allowed to comment on commits until they sign their NLI.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
Sorry, his best pitch for a recruit to come and visit.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
I think it's crappy, but honestly, I don't know how else these guys are supposed to do it.

There really isn't a "good" way to leave a college coaching job.

Flying back and facing your players is obviously ideal, but usually by that time something has been leaked in the media. You can call/text the players before the media gets it, but then we'll rip coaches for that too.

I guess the best way would be for the coach to tell the new team/school that he is going to "think about it", then go tell your players that you are leaving, and then accept the position. Big risk with that scenario though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
Right...because there are reports that Chip Kelly's interest in Tampa is causing all sorts of negative recruiting.  "Are you sure he's going to be there???"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Right...because there are reports that Chip Kelly's interest in Tampa is causing all sorts of negative recruiting.  "Are you sure he's going to be there???"

According to the Trenton Times, my local paper, Schiano has taken the job. Look in NJ.com.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
No...my point was that if they don't keep their interest quiet, that other coaches will use it against them if they don't take the job.  (Like what is happening now with Chip Kelly.)  That is why the coaches need to be secretive.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
I think it's crappy, but honestly, I don't know how else these guys are supposed to do it.

There really isn't a "good" way to leave a college coaching job.

Flying back and facing your players is obviously ideal, but usually by that time something has been leaked in the media. You can call/text the players before the media gets it, but then we'll rip coaches for that too.

I guess the best way would be for the coach to tell the new team/school that he is going to "think about it", then go tell your players that you are leaving, and then accept the position. Big risk with that scenario though.

Whatever needs to happen so that the scenario of Dom James hearing that his coach just left from another student on campus I am in favor of.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Greg Schiano on Tuesday held a press conference touting the vebal comit of one the best offensive tackles in the country coming to Rutgers. On Wednesday he announces his resignation as head coach as he accepted the head coaching job of the Tampa Bay Bucs. Rutgers athletic director was taken totally by surprise. In order to keep the recruiting class from bailing he had to hire himself as an assistant coach so he could talk to the players and their families. Don't blame him with all this confrence re-alignment crap.

Being from Jersey, you should know you didn't paint an entirely accurate picture here.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
Whatever needs to happen so that the scenario of Dom James hearing that his coach just left from another student on campus I am in favor of.

I think he heard from his mom calling on the phone after she saw it on television.

Just to be sure I'm reading you right, you are in favor of this type of scenario?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »

In today's 24/7 media world, twitter, facebook, bloggers, and all the rest.  How do you propose that happens? Or is it even realistic?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

I'm not talking about, nor do I care about TC.

"Good" exit strategies don't exist, regardless if the coach is a good guy or a total douche. There's not really a good choice anymore.

With this said, TC is still a douche! Yeah!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
In today's 24/7 media world, twitter, facebook, bloggers, and all the rest.  How do you propose that happens? Or is it even realistic?

Tell your bro in law to stfu?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:40:06 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:06 PM »

don't worry, @coachtomcrean turned the tables on the #Harbaugh clan....   8-)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »
I'm not talking about, nor do I care about TC.

"Good" exit strategies don't exist, regardless if the coach is a good guy or a total douche. There's not really a good choice anymore.

This is correct.  And frankly Dom James hearing it from another student on campus these days is simply part of it...and I'm sure he recovered from it pretty quickly.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
I think he heard from his mom calling on the phone after she saw it on television.

Just to be sure I'm reading you right, you are in favor of this type of scenario?

No, I am in favor of the man who sat in your living room and said come to my school, etc.  should be the one to tell you that he is leaving that school for another job.  Maybe a bit idealistic but I think tht is the way it should be, and don't think that it is asking too much.  Ya know just a little common decency.  That is what I am in favor of.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »

This is correct.  And frankly Dom James hearing it from another student on campus these days is simply part of it...and I'm sure he recovered from it pretty quickly.

Sultan-DJ talked about how crapty the whole TC deal was a year after TC left.  So frankly, I don't know how *YOU* are sure that he recovered from it *pretty quickly.*  Honestly and frankly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
Life sometimes treats you unfairly.  You can either whine about a lack of "common decency" or learn from it and move on.  DJ seems to be doing just fine.

Don't get me wrong.  I agree with you on the proper way of doing things.  But I am afraid that this is difficult in today's world.  But I certainly don't believe that the scars of such a departure are severe.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
Life sometimes treats you unfairly.  You can either whine about a lack of "common decency" or learn from it and move on.  DJ seems to be doing just fine.

Don't get me wrong.  I agree with you on the proper way of doing things.  But I am afraid that this is difficult in today's world.  But I certainly don't believe that the scars of such a departure are severe.

Nobody said anything about the severity of the scars, and like you said-you know that DJ got over it pretty quickly, so C'est La Vie.

I don't think that coaches/Admin should get a free pass just because 'this is the twitter world that we llive in'.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

Once a public figure like a Harbaugh speaks, how do you undo what he says?  It's out there.  He can tell his bro-in-law to stfu but if it is after the statement was made by Harbaugh, how can it be undone?  It's in the public space and because of who the Harbaughs are, their comments will be picked up and published or taken with some weight.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
I don't think that coaches/Admin should get a free pass just because 'this is the twitter world that we llive in'.

I get what you are saying, but ultimately I don't know that there is a realistic good solution for coaches these days.

I'm afraid with your attitude, you are going to be disappointed with every college coaching change. I hope I'm wrong.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
Once a public figure like a Harbaugh speaks, how do you undo what he says?  It's out there.  He can tell his bro-in-law to stfu but if it is after the statement was made by Harbaugh, how can it be undone?  It's in the public space and because of who the Harbaughs are, their comments will be picked up and published or taken with some weight.

Harbaugh is a classless a**.  Anyone with a bit of decorum, especially another college coach, should know better, but Harbaugh is a classless a**.  Ooops, repeated myself.

feedback