[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168767 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
The AL is really really good.   I was just a little surprised at the Hapless comment considering the Angels had the best record in the AL two years ago, and lost out on the playoffs last year on the last game of the season.  They're going to have a tough time because the league and division are so tough, but hoping for a solid year and to be in the conversation to the end.  Injuries will be key for us.

I'm an AL fan and agree it's better than the NL. Really good? I'd say evenly balanced. My low opinion of the Angels is based on their starting pitching (Richards is a low #1 or a high #2, Heaney has good stuff but is unproven, Shoemaker, Santiago and Tropeano don't inspire and CJ Wilson is always hurt. Weaver? - an 80 mph fastball, he's running on fumes.) Trout is awesome but there's not much batting in front of him and not a whole lot of protection behind - he might walk 150 times this year. IF Pujols, Calhoun and Cron have big years they could be good - big if.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
NL Division Winners:  Cardinals, Giants, Nationals
NL Wildcards: Cubs, Dodgers
AL Division Winners: Royals, Astros, Blue Jays
AL Wildcards: Red Sox, Mariners
World Series: Giants over Blue Jays

The Cubs will be able to hit, but I don't think their starting pitching is going to hold up enough to win the division. It'd be nearly impossible for Arrieta to duplicate last season, Lackey is 37 and coming off his highest workload since 2007, Lester's elbow is a ticking timebomb and I don't have a whole lot of trust in Hendricks or Hammel. They have the assets to make a deal at the deadline and the FO appears to really like Tyson Ross so you never know. It should be a fun, interesting season.

Health is a question mark for every starting pitching staff. The Cardinals staff is good, but has just as worrisome injury issues.  Hammel and Hendricks are a more than serviceable 4/5 combo, but I agree that it is more likely than not that the Cubs add another elite starting pitcher at the deadline.

My prediction for the NL Central:

Cubs 98-64
Pirates 92-70 (wild card)
Cardinals 88-74
Brewers 73-89
Reds A little - A lot
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »
NL Division Winners:  Cardinals, Giants, Nationals
NL Wildcards: Cubs, Dodgers
AL Division Winners: Royals, Astros, Blue Jays
AL Wildcards: Red Sox, Mariners
World Series: Giants over Blue Jays

The Cubs will be able to hit, but I don't think their starting pitching is going to hold up enough to win the division. It'd be nearly impossible for Arrieta to duplicate last season, Lackey is 37 and coming off his highest workload since 2007, Lester's elbow is a ticking timebomb and I don't have a whole lot of trust in Hendricks or Hammel. They have the assets to make a deal at the deadline and the FO appears to really like Tyson Ross so you never know. It should be a fun, interesting season.

The Cardinals have many more questions as a team, including their pitching staff, than do the Cubs.  Their offense wasn't good last year, and aside from Grichuk and Piscotty (who both outperformed expectations), they are getting old on that side of the field.  I assume Wainwright will be Wainwright.  Martinez and Garcia are both very good but injury risks.  Same goes for Wacha.  Leake is a serviceable innings eater but nothing special.     

Arrieta doesn't have to duplicate last season.  His ERA could be a full run higher this year and it would still be an excellent year.  He certainly looked like himself last night. 

The Cubs knew of Lester's bone chip when they signed him so I'm not sure why his elbow is now suddenly a ticking time bomb.

As for Lackey, Hammel, and Hendricks, they should be solid, especially with that offense behind them.  And as mentioned below, they have the prospects to bring in another starter this summer if necessary. 

I may be biased but other than being contrarian I don't see how the Cards win the division, assuming good health for both teams.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
Brewers start 2-10 and lose 100 games.  Hopefully Lucroy starts hot so we can get anything for him.  Unfortunately we're not getting anything for Braun no matter how hot he might start.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 12:57:14 PM »
The Cubs will win 100 games or more. They are LOADED. They don't have enough spots for everybody so a trade for a starter is inevitable.

The Nationals are the NL'S only hope to stop the colossus residing on the North Side.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »
Opening night for the Tigers and the Marlins.    Detroit puts in a defensive replacement (Romine) at third for the bottom of the 9th up 3 runs.   I turn to my wife (more of a Tiger junkie than I am) and say 'Cool, he will get to bat in the 10th after K-Rod blows the save.'     Then I laugh as it happens. 

As close to divorce as I have gotten in 24 years of marriage. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
The Cubs will win 100 games or more. They are LOADED. They don't have enough spots for everybody so a trade for a starter is inevitable.

The Nationals are the NL'S only hope to stop the colossus residing on the North Side.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »

I don't disagree with you that a trade for another starter is likely (I won't say inevitable).  However, if it does occur I think it will be for different reasons. 

The season is long and injuries/slumps will happen.  Having guys like Soler and Baez on the bench is absolutely huge for depth, insurance, and keeping guys fresh, so if the Cubs do make a trade for an arm I think it is much more likely it will involve guys from the system vs. guys who are contributing at the major league level (such as Baez or Soler). 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
As much as I dislike the Cubs, I acknowledge that this may be THE YEAR.   Theo has done it the right way.   Built up the farm system.   Gotten a dynamic coach.   Spent the money for the parts needed to put the team over the top.   It is still the Cubs and so until they actually do it, the curse lingers.   But the pieces are in place. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
The Cardinals have many more questions as a team, including their pitching staff, than do the Cubs.  Their offense wasn't good last year, and aside from Grichuk and Piscotty (who both outperformed expectations), they are getting old on that side of the field.  I assume Wainwright will be Wainwright.  Martinez and Garcia are both very good but injury risks.  Same goes for Wacha.  Leake is a serviceable innings eater but nothing special.     

Arrieta doesn't have to duplicate last season.  His ERA could be a full run higher this year and it would still be an excellent year.  He certainly looked like himself last night. 

The Cubs knew of Lester's bone chip when they signed him so I'm not sure why his elbow is now suddenly a ticking time bomb.

As for Lackey, Hammel, and Hendricks, they should be solid, especially with that offense behind them.  And as mentioned below, they have the prospects to bring in another starter this summer if necessary. 

I may be biased but other than being contrarian I don't see how the Cards win the division, assuming good health for both teams.

Lester's elbow issue was only recently brought to light...and it was actually called a "grenade" not a "ticking time bomb." My mistake.

I picked the Cardinals to win the division because the Cardinals ALWAYS seem to win the division and the Cubs always seem to fall short of expectations. I'm simply playing the percentages based on what I've witnessed during my 35 years as a Cub fan  ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Lester's elbow issue was only recently brought to light...and it was actually called a "grenade" not a "ticking time bomb." My mistake.

I picked the Cardinals to win the division because the Cardinals ALWAYS seem to win the division and the Cubs always seem to fall short of expectations. I'm simply playing the percentages based on what I've witnessed during my 35 years as a Cub fan  ;)

In regards to Lester, referring to it as a grenade makes it sound worse than it is (and you're right in that is how one source referred to it).  He looked good last night.  Hopefully he stays healthy. 

Can the Cardinals win the division?  Of course they can - they are still a good team.  And while you can't account for injuries the Cubs are the better team as of today.  Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, Heyward, and Soler just went 2-35 in that Angels series and the Cubs still put up 15 runs in two games.       

There's no curse.  There's just years of mismanagement and ineptitude by the team's previous owners and front offices.  Not having won in 108 years will have nothing to do with what the team does this season and in the future.  And if there is a manager and a group of players that won't let that pressure get to them it is Maddon and these guys. 

I'm not going to be one of those fans that expects the worst because of the past or freaks out every time the team loses a few games in a row.  Even though it's a bit cheesy, you should embrace just how good this team is and should be for the next few years.   

Plus I f'n hate the Cardinals so I sure won't pick them when I believe the Cubs are the better team. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

Ummm, the Mets?  Remember them?  They dominated the Cubs in the NLCS, remember?  They got better this off seaon too. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »
Opening night for the Tigers and the Marlins.    Detroit puts in a defensive replacement (Romine) at third for the bottom of the 9th up 3 runs.   I turn to my wife (more of a Tiger junkie than I am) and say 'Cool, he will get to bat in the 10th after K-Rod blows the save.'     Then I laugh as it happens. 

As close to divorce as I have gotten in 24 years of marriage.

Being the Tigers closer is like being the Bears QB... Yikes. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
Spinal Tap drummer luck when you are a Detroit closer.  Same luck as a Lion's defensive back.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
Hey, the Brewers have five top 100 prospects.  It's going to be a slow process, but it's better than the several years of having one top 100 prospect checking in at 96 overall.  If lucky, maybe one of the players picked out of the dumpster to fill the roster this season will turn out ok as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
In addition to the product on the field, the Wrigley Rehab is looking mighty nice.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/wrigleyfield/?cam=wrigleyfield_hd

NEW

OLD
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:50:46 AM by TallTitan34 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Hey, the Brewers have five top 100 prospects.  It's going to be a slow process, but it's better than the several years of having one top 100 prospect checking in at 96 overall.  If lucky, maybe one of the players picked out of the dumpster to fill the roster this season will turn out ok as well.

That's what the Cubs did. It'll take longer than you want though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »

Exactly. It's a painful process when your team is intentionally trying to lose.

Something really needs to change in terms of MLB draft order. Rewarding teams for tanking simply isn't a good process.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:07:14 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »

Something really needs to change in terms of MLB draft order. Rewarding teams for tanking simply isn't a good process.

Except for small market teams or teams that need a complete rebuild, it is really the best strategy.  While there's no guarantee it will work, it was well worth the pain over those years.  I'm sure Astros fans would say the same thing. 

The changes to the draft in the CBA were an issue in that they didn't allow small market teams to put as many resources as they wanted into drafting and development. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
I'm sure Astros fans would say the same thing. 

It's hard to get all 3 of the Astros' fans to agree on anything.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Major collision between Schwarber and Fowler in the outfield tonight. Schwarber was down for a while, and it looked bad. Initial reports are negative xrays on the ankle, MRI coming tomorrow.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »
Major collision between Schwarber and Fowler in the outfield tonight. Schwarber was down for a while, and it looked bad. Initial reports are negative xrays on the ankle, MRI coming tomorrow.

Not out of the woods yet but so far that's the best the news could have been.

The team has the depth to be fine if he is out for a while. Just don't want it to be a season ender.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »

The problem for the Crew is that the Braves, Phils, Reds, Rockies, and Padres are all rebuilding as well. It will be stiff competition for those Bryant/Schwarber/Russell type picks.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:44 AM »

The Brewers aren't trying to lose.  The Brewers would be thrilled to be in the playoff hunt.

They simply traded off good players that together were mediocre, for players that are hopefully great down the line.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 09:14:54 AM »
Not out of the woods yet but so far that's the best the news could have been.

The team has the depth to be fine if he is out for a while. Just don't want it to be a season ender.

I was seeing word of a sprain last night.  That would be FANTASTIC given how it looked.

feedback