collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2010-2011 NFC North Division  (Read 175173 times)

wadesworld

• All American
2010-2011 NFC North Division
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm extremely bored at work so I figure with training camp starting up I'd start this thread.  What is everyone's predictions for division records?  Mine go like this:

Chicago Bears: 7-9 (Tough schedule, could legitimately lose 7 of last 8)
Detroit Lions: 4-12
Green Bay Packers 12-4
Minnesota Vikings 11-5

This is just a very rough sketch without any research, just looking at the schedules.  It should be a very interesting season.  Very tough schedule this season for all of the teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
Re: 2010-2011 NFC North Division
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
I see big things for the Packers as long as the OL improves.

Pretty excited, hope to get up to Lambeau for a game as the old man is a season ticket holder.

We need Bulaga to be the real deal. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:50:53 PM »
I see big things for the Packers as long as the OL improves.

Pretty excited, hope to get up to Lambeau for a game as the old man is a season ticket holder.

We need Bulaga to be the real deal.  
Agreed.  I actually think the OL will be good.  I think it's the secondary that we need to worry about.  If they can be just good, they don't even have to be great, then I think we will have a great season.

The only thing that worries me is the schedule is TOUGH.  At Philli, at Chicago, vs. Minn, at Jets, vs. Dallas, at Minn, at ATL, and at NE are all VERY losable games.  At Washington, vs. Miami, vs. Giants, and vs. Chicago are also losable games but ones that I am less concerned about.

In my prediction I thought our losses would come at Philli, at Jets, at Minn, and at NE.  My guess is we win one of those and lose one of the ones listed above.

I would not be SHOCKED to see anything from 8-8 to 12-4.  I would be shocked to see anything above 12 wins and anything below 8.  Way too much talent for less than 8 (we have so much talent that normally I'd say less than 10 would surprise me but again the schedule scares me), way too tough of a schedule for less than 4 losses, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:59:34 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
if green bay doesn't make improvements we can definitely lose most of those games.   

Getting pressure on the qb will be important for GB in helping the secondary.  We were middle of the pack of the NFC in sacks in '09 and only knocked down Warner 3 times in our playoff game against the Cardinals.

We need a OLB on the opposite side of Matthews to step up and I really hope Brad Jones is ready to make that step after another year in the weight room. 

Johnny Jolly loss is big, I think developed into a hell of a player, something I didn't expect after watching him at A&M.  Time for Thompson's picks to step up and put up or shut up in Harrell and Raji.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:41 AM »
Add to the list of "oughta win" two games against the Vikes.  So long, Brent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Add to the list of "oughta win" two games against the Vikes.  So long, Brent.

Haha yup.  I thought we'd lose at the Vikings.  Now I think we'll win that one, but I'll stick with my 12-4 prediction and we'll lose to one of the other teams I thought we COULD lose to.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
I'm extremely bored at work so I figure with training camp starting up I'd start this thread.  What is everyone's predictions for division records?  Mine go like this:

Chicago Bears: 7-9 (Tough schedule, could legitimately lose 7 of last 8)
Detroit Lions: 4-12
Green Bay Packers 12-4
Minnesota Vikings 11-5

This is just a very rough sketch without any research, just looking at the schedules.  It should be a very interesting season.  Very tough schedule this season for all of the teams.

Chicago 9-7 Lovie is fired miss playoffs
Detroit 6-10
Green Bay 10-6
Minnesota 9-7
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
My prediction:  Cutler gets knocked out of at least 2 games...Martz's scheme doesn't protect the QB

Martz got lucky with the talent he had at STL with his "greatest show on turf" but now, not so much.

Rams skill position players (while under Martz) >>>>>>> current skill position players for CHI

Also, he had Orlando Pace when he was the best LT in the game.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Rams skill position players (while under Martz) >>>>>>> current skill position players for CHI

Who was the STL TE, Do the bears have an advantage at that position?  Then again is a TE a skill position..
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
My prediction:  Cutler gets knocked out of at least 2 games...Martz's scheme doesn't protect the QB

Martz got lucky with the talent he had at STL with his "greatest show on turf" but now, not so much.

Also, he had Orlando Pace when he was the best LT in the game.

Yes, the Bears O-line is a major question mark, but Martz has statistically improved every unit he has joined. Last year, the Bears were brutal in the redzone, an improvement there could make a big difference.

No matter, I just don't see how any team in the division wins more than 10 games. The schedule is just brutal, having to play both the AFC and NFC East. That's 7 games (Buffalo sucks and should be win for all) against teams that have legit playoff chances.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:57:39 PM »
Mike tice is coaching the o-line.  Nothing to worry about.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »
Mike tice is coaching the o-line.  Nothing to worry about.

Wanna bet?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »

While I agree that the Rams had better skill players, the Bears WR's are vastly underrated and I think they will prove a lot of people wrong this year. Additionally they have plenty of running back depth, something they haven't ever had. That being said its a crapshoot to pick records especially in the NFL.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
While I agree that the Rams had better skill players, the Bears WR's are vastly underrated and I think they will prove a lot of people wrong this year. Additionally they have plenty of running back depth, something they haven't ever had. That being said its a crapshoot to pick records especially in the NFL.

It is definitely a crap shoot. You just never know what's gonna happen. That said, the combination of a poor offensive line and weak receiving corps is gonna cause problems for the Bears.

Chester Taylor is a real nice addition and should help, but when you look at Martz with the Rams, he had HoF receivers (I would suggest that their 4th receiver (Ricky Prohl) may have been better than anyone on the Bears roster right now), a HoF running back, a HoF left tackle as part of an offensive line that missed a total of 6 games to injury in three years. The thought of Jay Cutler making a 7 step drop looking for Devin Hester, behind that O-line should cause most bear fans to wake up in a cold sweat.

The results (or lack thereof) with different groups of players should speak volumes to what he and his offense can do without top tier talent. Not much. Will the offense be better? Probably. Will it be good? Not really.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
Detroit will win at least 6 games this year and may pull some surprise upsets.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
Detroit will win at least 6 games this year and may pull some surprise upsets.
Immnot ready to say they'll win at least 6 games but I do agree they will be better. I could see anywhere from 4-6 wins for them, but they will look much better than they have the past few season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »
While I hate Brett Favre and the Vikings you never want to see a player's life on the line. Hopefully Percey Harvin's okay. He should be a pretty nice player.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
While I hate Brett Favre and the Vikings you never want to see a player's life on the line. Hopefully Percey Harvin's okay. He should be a pretty nice player.

Off topic...there is talk that Justin Morneau may not play again this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Off topic...there is talk that Justin Morneau may not play again this year.

Our record without Morneau last year and this year must be incredible.. gotta look that one up.  Did you make it to either game the past two nights?   Fun games to watch, but I'd imagine they were quite upsetting for you.

Poor Percy... hope he's alright and hope he can find a cure for the migraines. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
Our record without Morneau last year and this year must be incredible.. gotta look that one up.  Did you make it to either game the past two nights?   Fun games to watch, but I'd imagine they were quite upsetting for you.

Poor Percy... hope he's alright and hope he can find a cure for the migraines.  

Not there but very upsetting....going to be there tonight.  Otherwise....

Full article......http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-childressvikes081810

Childress was losing more ground with his team in the battle for respect. One of the biggest issues playing out behind the scenes in Minnesota is that many players, particularly on offense, have no respect for Childress. Among those players is Favre, who officially returned to the team Wednesday. According to multiple team sources, Favre’s disdain for Childress is deep.

“Brett thinks Childress has no clue about offense,” a Vikings player said.

Childress’ presence, not Favre’s ankle injury, was one of the biggest reasons Favre was hesitating about playing again, sources said. In early July, Favre had indicated to one player that he was likely to play. However, after Childress visited Favre on July 19, Favre’s desire to return declined.

“Brett just doesn’t trust him,” a player said.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:44:46 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
Favre is right.

spazerak

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
Green Bay 11-5 - is indeed a tough schedule but they're all a year more improved (i hope).  the offensive line is definitely better and should be able to deal with injuries when they occur (does anyone seriously think Clifton will start all 16? heck no!).  loss of Jolly will hurt, but hopefully Raji is ready to step-up.  linebacking corps should be better thru more experience.  secondary...we shall see.

Minnesota 10-6 - i just don't think they'll be as good this year.  at some point in time the old man is going down and i think it's this year.  so Jackson is going to get some starts BUT that defense is good enough to keep them in every game.  i love this crap with Childress, too. 

Chicago 8-8 - and as someone else stated, they will miss the playoffs and Lovie will get canned.  will definitely be interesting to see what Martz brings to the table.  Taylor and Peppers were good pick-ups though.

Detroit 5-11 - will certainly be an improved team.  they'll have some stat at the end of the year that they lost 5 games by a total of 11 points or something like that.  Stafford should be better, i don't expect a sophomore slump out of him.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
Something has to give.  Brent is either going to have another MVP-caliber season and take the Vikes to the Super Bowl, or his season is going to end early (but not necessarily via injury)... I just have this strange feeling that there's no in-between for the guy this year; he's going to put it all on the line and it's either going to work, or he's going to go down in flames.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »
Who was the STL TE, Do the bears have an advantage at that position?  Then again is a TE a skill position..

In Martz's system, the tight end is usually just a sixth offensive lineman. None of the St. Louis tight ends ever put up big numbers under Martz, which doesn't bode well for Greg Olsen, but Chicago did sign Brandon Manumaleuna specifically to fill the role of blocking tight end, and I'd expect him to get most of the reps.

Under Martz, I think this is a great statement. The biggest question mark will be the offensive line. If the line can hold together, Chicago could really surprise some people. Martz always improves offenses. Devin Aromashodu looks like a legitimate starter in the NFL. Devin Hester has many similar attributes to Az Hakim. Johnny Knox could have a breakout sophomore season. Of course, all of those are question marks until it happens on the field, but what was St. Louis when Martz took over that offense? Remember, they came off a 4-12 season to win the Super Bowl. I'm absolutely not saying I expect the Bears to win a Super Bowl this year, but it's not like a Pro Bowl season and big numbers from Cutler and a couple of the as-yet unproven WRs are impossible if the O-line holds up.

Chicago's also got some questions on defense. Will Peppers live up to his contract? Can Urlacher rebound from injury? Will the safeties be up to the task? Is Tommie Harris finally back to his 2006 form? My expectation for the Bears is between 7-9 and 9-7 with Lovie fired if they don't make the playoffs. But in all honesty, I don't think I'd be really surprised by them going anywhere from 5-11 to 11-5. In the NFL, so much comes down to how well things break for you, who stays healthy, and the implementation of new schemes. If Martz's offense works, Cutler returns to Denver form, and the team stays healthy, there's no reason to think Chicago can't compete for the division.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
nice to see urlacher last almost one whole series.

:-(
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback