Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1063652 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/15/2024?
« Reply #5900 on: January 20, 2024, 10:31:01 PM »
Dorks that try to figure this out - where will we be?
Goal is National Championship

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5901 on: January 20, 2024, 10:40:27 PM »
12 or 13. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5902 on: January 21, 2024, 01:00:02 AM »
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5903 on: January 21, 2024, 01:28:52 AM »
1. UConn
2. Purdue
3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Tennessee
6. Kentucky
7. Kansas
8. Auburn
9. Arizona
10. Duke
11. Illinois (Assuming they beat Rutgers tomorrow)
12. Oklahoma
13. Marquette
14. Wisconsin
15. Utah State
16. Memphis (Assuming they beat Tulane tomorrow)
17. Baylor
18. Dayton
19. Creighton
20. FAU
21. Colorado State
22. BYU
23. Iowa State
24. Texas Tech
25. New Mexico

I could see us as high as 12 and as low as 14. Changes to 11/13 if Illinois loses tomorrow.

I think Seton Hall could be the top team in others receiving votes
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5904 on: January 21, 2024, 05:15:54 AM »
13 feels about right, depending on Illinois.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5905 on: January 21, 2024, 07:25:10 AM »
Two nice wins this week and we'll be back in the top 10.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5906 on: January 21, 2024, 08:24:26 AM »
1. UConn
2. Purdue
3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Tennessee
6. Kentucky
7. Kansas
8. Auburn
9. Arizona
10. Duke
11. Illinois (Assuming they beat Rutgers tomorrow)
12. Oklahoma
13. Marquette
14. Wisconsin
15. Utah State
16. Memphis (Assuming they beat Tulane tomorrow)
17. Baylor
18. Dayton
19. Creighton
20. FAU
21. Colorado State
22. BYU
23. Iowa State
24. Texas Tech
25. New Mexico

I could see us as high as 12 and as low as 14. Changes to 11/13 if Illinois loses tomorrow.

I think Seton Hall could be the top team in others receiving votes

Duke only will fall three spots with a loss at home to Pitt?  Baylor hasn't exactly impressed me and that's their best win.  How about them.falling at least 7 spots TAMU?

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #5907 on: January 21, 2024, 08:30:12 AM »
Duke only will fall three spots with a loss at home to Pitt?  Baylor hasn't exactly impressed me and that's their best win.  How about them.falling at least 7 spots TAMU?

It is, and should be, the whole season that counts, not just one game. That’s one reason I pay very little attention to the voted polls. They are much more volatile than they should be, especially once teams have played 15-20 games.

That having been said, Duke is often overrated because of the name (another reason to ignore these polls). But, Marquette leapfrogging Wisconsin because of their bad loss is a stretch. The stench of MU’s home loss to Butler is still a little too fresh.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 08:34:42 AM by wisblue »

Goose

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/22/2024?
« Reply #5908 on: January 21, 2024, 08:36:31 AM »

This group has been ranked for a year now and a long stretch in the top ten and I appreciate what that means. It is not easy, and it should not be taken for granted.

I know some think my saying this year is being run like an NBA team is crazy, but I think there is truth to that. Last season they battled at a crazy high level starting with the start of the BE schedule and won a couple of games simply by playing harder and wanting it more. This season I think they are playing smarter and are showing what experience looks like. Good/great teams in the NBA know if it is their night or not and live with that. Not every game has to be a win or a thing of beauty during the regular season.

I have heard Shaka say several times this season that he has a pretty good idea prior to the game if they are going to play well/win or not. I do not recall that being said last season. First time I heard him say that was after the UW game. IMO, he did not panic or make major adjustments in that game, he let them do their thing. Last year everyone loved the fight in the team, this year I love the experience of knowing that every game is not the NC game.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5909 on: January 21, 2024, 08:40:47 AM »
It is, and should be, the whole season that counts, not just one game. That’s one reason I pay very little attention to the voted polls. They are much more volatile than they should be, especially once teams have played 15-20 games.

That having been said, Duke is often overrated because of the name (another reason to ignore these polls). But, Marquette leapfrogging Wisconsin because of their bad loss is a stretch. The stench of MU’s home loss to Butler is still a little too fresh.

I'm getting really tired of your reality checks blue! No question (in my opinion) that Duke, UNC, UK and KU get preferential treatment by the voters. And yes, that Butler game. Can we please not talk about that?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5910 on: January 21, 2024, 08:47:15 AM »

This group has been ranked for a year now and a long stretch in the top ten and I appreciate what that means. It is not easy, and it should not be taken for granted.

I know some think my saying this year is being run like an NBA team is crazy, but I think there is truth to that. Last season they battled at a crazy high level starting with the start of the BE schedule and won a couple of games simply by playing harder and wanting it more. This season I think they are playing smarter and are showing what experience looks like. Good/great teams in the NBA know if it is their night or not and live with that. Not every game has to be a win or a thing of beauty during the regular season.

I have heard Shaka say several times this season that he has a pretty good idea prior to the game if they are going to play well/win or not. I do not recall that being said last season. First time I heard him say that was after the UW game. IMO, he did not panic or make major adjustments in that game, he let them do their thing. Last year everyone loved the fight in the team, this year I love the experience of knowing that every game is not the NC game.

I get what you're saying but I have to say I haven't seen Shaka make many concessions. This year's team has had plenty of fight ... and on the very rare occasions it hasn't, Shaka has publicly called them out.

And TK and Oso ain't sitting out any games for load management!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5911 on: January 21, 2024, 09:01:33 AM »

Not a chance.  3 of the 4 teams immediately behind them lost and all three lost to worse opponents or had two losses.  There are almost 500 votes between Arizona/Oklahoma and Duke. I doubt the voters punish them enough to make up that many votes.

Remember, this isn't what i think it should be but what i think it will be
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5912 on: January 21, 2024, 09:03:34 AM »

Of course, it is not load management or lacking the fight. IMO, Shaka went into overdrive last season with his intensity and caught up in the moment. Once winning the BE was a possibility he went to a higher level of coaching. I think he learned about himself last year and he will not get caught up in the moment again. I get it, winning the BE last season was an unreal accomplishment and they got it done. I think there is a more mature Shaka in regard to coaching and it is a better version. 

For the record, I love the regular season, maybe more than the NCAA 99% of the time. There are special teams with lofty expectations that make the NCAA even more important than usual from time to time and this is one of those years, imo.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5913 on: January 21, 2024, 09:12:56 AM »

I’ve mentioned this before, but therein lies the issue with the AP top 25. Most voters don’t take a full look at teams each week. They don’t go back and realize that the #18 Michigan State or #10 Baylor win isn’t as good now as it seemed at the time. They only look at results that occurred in the previous 7 days for the most part. So relative to the games played in last 7 days, Duke probably won’t drop as much as they should. Rank the teams from scratch based on their current resume and there’s no way they are close to #10. Completely overrated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5914 on: January 21, 2024, 09:21:15 AM »

Of course, it is not load management or lacking the fight. IMO, Shaka went into overdrive last season with his intensity and caught up in the moment. Once winning the BE was a possibility he went to a higher level of coaching. I think he learned about himself last year and he will not get caught up in the moment again. I get it, winning the BE last season was an unreal accomplishment and they got it done. I think there is a more mature Shaka in regard to coaching and it is a better version. 

For the record, I love the regular season, maybe more than the NCAA 99% of the time. There are special teams with lofty expectations that make the NCAA even more important than usual from time to time and this is one of those years, imo.

Goose, I honestly see little evidence of Shaka not pushing this team to win every game, or of him not getting "caught up in the moment." Yes, once we got down big in a couple games he was realistic and didn't kill the guys, but that's normal. I just don't really see many examples of him letting up on the gas pedal.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #5915 on: January 21, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »

Voters may factor in that Duke was missing two starters

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5916 on: January 21, 2024, 09:24:46 AM »

No, he is not taking his foot off of the gas. I thought last year he had two feet on the gas for the last month + of the season. I think it toke a minor toll on the team and a lesson was learned.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5917 on: January 21, 2024, 10:34:11 AM »
Iowa St. was impressive yesterday. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5918 on: January 21, 2024, 11:38:49 AM »
Two nice wins this week and we'll be back in the top 10.
My guess is we move up one to 16. However very close in point totals .  So with two wins this week we could move closer to top 10.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5919 on: January 21, 2024, 11:52:54 AM »
#1 in our hearts. Except for those who don't know ball.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5920 on: January 21, 2024, 12:14:10 PM »
My guess is we move up one to 16. However very close in point totals .  So with two wins this week we could move closer to top 10.

Scoopers who think we will be in the top 10 are living in La La Land.  ;D  Simply looking at numbers 11-16 and then asking WHY would we leapfrog them makes it clear that reality is being treated as an inconvenient truth.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5921 on: January 21, 2024, 12:55:17 PM »

No, he is not taking his foot off of the gas. I thought last year he had two feet on the gas for the last month + of the season. I think it toke a minor toll on the team and a lesson was learned.

I honestly don't see how he's handling this year much differently than last. In fact, he's never called guys out like he has this year, which usually isn't a sign of taking one foot off the gas.

It's hard to say how last March goes if TK doesn't hurt that thumb, but I didn't necessarily see a tired team.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5922 on: January 21, 2024, 12:56:25 PM »
Voters may factor in that Duke was missing two starters
Missing starters and winning gets you punished in the football poll.  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5923 on: January 21, 2024, 02:47:00 PM »

OK. I think we'll respectfully agree to disagree on this. But I will watch for it in future games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5924 on: January 21, 2024, 02:49:27 PM »
Scoopers who think we will be in the top 10 are living in La La Land.  ;D  Simply looking at numbers 11-16 and then asking WHY would we leapfrog them makes it clear that reality is being treated as an inconvenient truth.

For the record, I know we won't be in the top 10 in tomorrow's poll and I didn't say differently.

I'm saying if we take care of business with a decisive 2-0 week, and if there are the usual number of upsets in other games, we have a great chance of being back in the top 10 the following week.

feedback