Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1063573 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/27/23?
« Reply #5575 on: November 26, 2023, 10:40:47 PM »
I went back a few decades and couldn't find an example of a 1 loss team being ranked #2 (or #1) this early in the season. So 2 would be unprecedented (though I think it would be accurate).

There are a few examples of 1 loss teams at #3 at this point in the season. Gonzaga two seasons ago is the most recent example.

I think it is 3 or 4. We should be 3, but I could see voters believing that they need to move UConn above us because we lost and they're still undefeated.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #5576 on: November 26, 2023, 11:57:47 PM »
I went back a few decades and couldn't find an example of a 1 loss team being ranked #2 (or #1) this early in the season. So 2 would be unprecedented (though I think it would be accurate).

There are a few examples of 1 loss teams at #3 at this point in the season. Gonzaga two seasons ago is the most recent example.

I think it is 3 or 4. We should be 3, but I could see voters believing that they need to move UConn above us because we lost and they're still undefeated.
It's also not crazy to just think UConn is a little better. I disagree as a fan but they look pretty damn good so far.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5577 on: November 27, 2023, 12:33:42 AM »
Smart voters = 2

Actual poll = 3
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5578 on: November 27, 2023, 06:32:17 AM »
It's also not crazy to just think UConn is a little better. I disagree as a fan but they look pretty damn good so far.

They do look good, though playing against the #338 schedule so far per kenpom will make a lot of teams look pretty damn good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5579 on: November 27, 2023, 06:36:04 AM »

"Believing" is a kind way of putting it.  I think too many voters feel compelled to punish any team that loses, no matter what the overall picture is.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #5580 on: November 27, 2023, 07:28:02 AM »
I'm going with a top five of:  Purdue, Arizona and UConn, followed by MU, as the top ranked one-loss team, then Houston.

UConn does have a couple nice wins over one-loss teams in Texas (+10) and Indiana (+20).
A lot of their non-conference resume comes over the next week @ Kansas and vs UNC.  With Gonzaga on the horizon.

Espn/Borzello calls the MU victory over Kansas the best single game performance of the season.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #5581 on: November 27, 2023, 07:28:21 AM »

It’s unprecedented but so is MUs schedule for the most part other than Loyola Chicago in the 60s.  You are correct in saying it’s warranted.  We’ll see what the voters think shortly but 2 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5582 on: November 27, 2023, 07:46:58 AM »
Shooter

I have never followed Kenpom and hope I am reading it correctly, but it looks like MU's SOS is #5 and the defense ranking of opponents is #1. As I mentioned last week, I wanted #1 and whatever they are ranked this week is fine by me because there are plenty of chances for very good wins coming up. Win the next five and MU does not leave the top five. If so, it will be about 15 straight weeks ranked in the top ten.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #5583 on: November 27, 2023, 07:58:47 AM »
Shooter

I have never followed Kenpom and hope I am reading it correctly, but it looks like MU's SOS is #5 and the defense ranking of opponents is #1. As I mentioned last week, I wanted #1 and whatever they are ranked this week is fine by me because there are plenty of chances for very good wins coming up. Win the next five and MU does not leave the top five. If so, it will be about 15 straight weeks ranked in the top ten.

Yep,  many of the voters are sophisticated enough to understand this.  In the end your top ten all year scenario and possibly top five all year scenario are great problems to have no matter what we are ranked within that range.  Fun times!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5584 on: November 27, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
The Athletic's CJ Moore actually moved Marquette up from 3 to 2 after the loss. Arizona, UConn and Kansas round out his top 5.

Here's what he said about Purdue (with lots of MU in it) and Marquette:

1. Purdue
It’s hard enough trying to keep Zach Edey from scoring, but simply trying to guard him without fouling is proving just as difficult. Edey leads college basketball in fouls drawn per 40 minutes (10.4) — up from 7.0 per 40 last season. He shot 47 free throws in the last four games, all against high-major programs. Edey’s ability to get opposing big men in foul trouble was one main reason Purdue beat Marquette in the Maui Invitational championship game. Oso Ighodaro was limited to 26 minutes because of fouls; Marquette outscored Purdue by 10 points with him on the floor but was minus-23 in his 14 minutes on the bench.

In Purdue’s four games against high-majors, the opposing starting center has committed 18 fouls in 76 minutes. That’s 9.5 fouls per 40 minutes. If you combine the minutes played for those four centers for the rest of their season, they’re fouling 3.6 times per 40 minutes. The game is drastically different when you’re playing Purdue.

2. Marquette
The floater is one of the least efficient shots in basketball. Former Belmont coach Rick Byrd even forbid his players from taking them. Byrd likely would have lifted that rule if he had coached Ighodaro. Marquette’s starting center is already a unicorn with everything else he does. In addition to being able to initiate offense as a point center, he’s also mastered a running push shot in the lane that is unguardable. It’s not really a floater since he’s 6-foot-11 and doesn’t have to float it over anyone because his release point is so high. Ighodaro was good at that shot last season (54.5 percent) and is even better so far this year. He made 5-of-6 runners against Purdue and is 9 of 14 (64.2 percent) on shots categorized as runners by Synergy so far this year. That’s 1.29 points per possession. That’s efficiency!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5585 on: November 27, 2023, 08:39:52 AM »
The Athletic's CJ Moore actually moved Marquette up from 3 to 2 after the loss. Arizona, UConn and Kansas round out his top 5.

Here's what he said about Purdue (with lots of MU in it) and Marquette:

1. Purdue
It’s hard enough trying to keep Zach Edey from scoring, but simply trying to guard him without fouling is proving just as difficult. Edey leads college basketball in fouls drawn per 40 minutes (10.4) — up from 7.0 per 40 last season. He shot 47 free throws in the last four games, all against high-major programs. Edey’s ability to get opposing big men in foul trouble was one main reason Purdue beat Marquette in the Maui Invitational championship game. Oso Ighodaro was limited to 26 minutes because of fouls; Marquette outscored Purdue by 10 points with him on the floor but was minus-23 in his 14 minutes on the bench.

In Purdue’s four games against high-majors, the opposing starting center has committed 18 fouls in 76 minutes. That’s 9.5 fouls per 40 minutes. If you combine the minutes played for those four centers for the rest of their season, they’re fouling 3.6 times per 40 minutes. The game is drastically different when you’re playing Purdue.

2. Marquette
The floater is one of the least efficient shots in basketball. Former Belmont coach Rick Byrd even forbid his players from taking them. Byrd likely would have lifted that rule if he had coached Ighodaro. Marquette’s starting center is already a unicorn with everything else he does. In addition to being able to initiate offense as a point center, he’s also mastered a running push shot in the lane that is unguardable. It’s not really a floater since he’s 6-foot-11 and doesn’t have to float it over anyone because his release point is so high. Ighodaro was good at that shot last season (54.5 percent) and is even better so far this year. He made 5-of-6 runners against Purdue and is 9 of 14 (64.2 percent) on shots categorized as runners by Synergy so far this year. That’s 1.29 points per possession. That’s efficiency!

Oh, great.  Using advanced analytics.  Why even play the games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5586 on: November 27, 2023, 09:27:15 AM »
Exactly, combine this thread and the “Holiday Tourney” thread and just have a KenPom Invitational where no games are actually played. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:22:39 AM by PointWarrior »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5587 on: November 27, 2023, 09:30:27 AM »
Luke DeCock has us at 8...behind Creighton, Kansas and Villanova.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #5588 on: November 27, 2023, 09:36:06 AM »

A lot of 4s trickling in too. Thought we'd move to 2 or 3, but staying at 4 seems more likely. Either way...oh well!
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5589 on: November 27, 2023, 09:38:19 AM »

This guy’s vote should be rescinded immediately.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5590 on: November 27, 2023, 09:39:39 AM »

What an abomination!  A reminder that some voters aren't even paying attention.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5591 on: November 27, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »
It’s unprecedented but so is MUs schedule for the most part other than Loyola Chicago in the 60s.  You are correct in saying it’s warranted.  We’ll see what the voters think shortly but 2 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Our schedule is crazy and I could maybe see us getting the 2 if Arizona hadn't played anyone,  but a road win over #2 Duke and a neutral court win over Michigan St (who started #3) is at least comparable to a neutral court win over #1 Kansas and a road win over top 25 Illinois. We have the UCLA win on them but they have being undefeated on us.

Purdue and Arizona play each other in a few weeks so if we keep winning,  were guarenteed to pass one of them!
TAMU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5592 on: November 27, 2023, 09:50:34 AM »

Who, hey?

If ever there was a name change screamin' ta bee changed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5593 on: November 27, 2023, 09:54:20 AM »

Looks like hes been down on us compared to others.  He had us 8 going into Maui so he didn't move us down (or up). He had us pass Tennessee and get passed by Villanova. He dropped Kansas from 1 to 5 and Creighton from 3 to 7
TAMU

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #5594 on: November 27, 2023, 10:15:08 AM »
ESPN power rankings have us at 4 - they called the win over Kansas the best single game performance of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5595 on: November 27, 2023, 10:20:37 AM »
Our schedule is crazy and I could maybe see us getting the 2 if Arizona hadn't played anyone,  but a road win over #2 Duke and a neutral court win over Michigan St (who started #3) is at least comparable to a neutral court win over #1 Kansas and a road win over top 25 Illinois. We have the UCLA win on them but they have being undefeated on us.

Purdue and Arizona play each other in a few weeks so if we keep winning,  were guarenteed to pass one of them!

This makes sense.

This doesn't. That's what happens when The Cock has a vote.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #5596 on: November 27, 2023, 10:22:53 AM »

Sidenote. I believe their is most an advance analytics have Marquette currently 6th ish.

KenPom 6, Evanmiya 6, Haslametrics 7, Torvik 9. Warren Nolan is at 2 with an ELO based ranking. Shotquality has us 3rd.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #5597 on: November 27, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »

Which is more significant?

Beating the number 1 team in the nation? Or,
Losing to the number 2 team in the nation.

My take is the win matters more as it was the more unlikely outcome.

MU #2 

And while that might make us the highest 1-loss team at this point, in the last 50 years, no one else played (and beat) #1 and then had to play #2 the next night (lost but covered the 3.5-point spread).
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5598 on: November 27, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »
The guy is probably to drive up his engagement. Don’t give that article a click.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5599 on: November 27, 2023, 10:56:07 AM »
This makes sense.

This doesn't. That's what happens when The Cock has a vote.

This person has ZERO business voting in the top 25 poll. 

feedback