[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East NCAA Tournament Thread 20-21 Season  (Read 42650 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Big East Tournament Thread 20-21 Season
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:48 PM »
An idiot? I plead guilty. What else is new, Lenny?

I'm a Marquette fan and yes, I figured we'd beat them. And that if we did, there was a decent chance against Nova because of their situation. And neither StJ nor Hall was super-scary.

Congrats to the idiot Hoya fans who ended up seeing their idiotic fandom come true.

Mike

You’re no idiot. Just a fan with a sweet pair of blue and gold glasses.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »
Mike

I actually DO have a pair of blue and gold sunglasses! My daughter gave 'em to me a couple years ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:53 PM »
Well, Marquette is done, but the Big East Final will have two Jesuit schools in the game tomorrow.

Good for Creighton and Georgetown.  Can’t believe Creighton has been to the Big East Tournament championship final game three times an we can’t sniff one.  Very telling. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:52 AM »
Good to see Creighton hang in there and beat U Conn. U Conn was getting a little too cocksure going into the tournament .

Coach Ewing was pumped up during the TV interview last night.

This year has been a wide open BET and it has been interesting to see which teams have performed under the pressure .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2021, 06:38:23 AM »
Good to see Creighton hang in there and beat U Conn. U Conn was getting a little too cocksure going into the tournament .

Coach Ewing was pumped up during the TV interview last night.

This year has been a wide open BET and it has been interesting to see which teams have performed under the pressure .

Agree that it was good to see UCONN (and their fans) humbled. I’ll be pulling for Georgetown the rest of the way. They’ve had a rough go of it and wouldn’t mind seeing them have some success.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2021, 06:41:18 AM »
Mike

Or who followed the Vegas line.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
Agree that it was good to see UCONN (and their fans) humbled. I’ll be pulling for Georgetown the rest of the way. They’ve had a rough go of it and wouldn’t mind seeing them have some success.

I'm pulling for them because it gives the BE another bid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:18 AM »
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2021, 07:02:23 AM »
MU has beaten the BET champion this season. We are not that far away!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2021, 07:11:46 AM »
MU has beaten the BET champion this season. We are not that far away!
Tournament was wide open this year and MU squandered a great opportunity.
            ---Al McGuire

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2021, 07:34:17 AM »
Both Uconn and Creighton played at a much higher level of intensity....compared to MU ball. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
I'm pulling for them because it gives the BE another bid.

Yup, though I suspect it would knock Xavier out, so maybe a zero sum game, but better the sure thing than Georgetown loses & Xavier gets knocked out by Cincinnati or Oregon State anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »
Or who followed the Vegas line.

Well, picking us to beat Georgetown was hardly "idiotic."

I didn't predict any more than that, but I did say this was the kind of year that crazy things could happen in the tournament -- mostly due to Nova's situation -- and indeed, something crazy has.

Obviously, we all wish it could have been us instead of Georgetown pulling off the craziness. Well, most of us do, anyway. At least 10 Scoopers were rooting not only for us to lose, but to lose decisively. Congrats to them; as a bonus, it looks like they'll get to beyotch about Wojo for a whole 'nother year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
Watching Georgetown has me a bit green with envy. Not because of this year, or thinking "that should be us" (even though it should) but because we haven't been to a conference tournament title game since 1997. That means at least 25 years between even playing for an auto bid. We've been in the Big East for 16 years and have only played in the semifinals 3 times.

Maybe they're a bit random, but there isn't much that's more fun than a tournament run. Conference or NCAA, hell, even that NIT run was a blast. But the only tournament you're ever guaranteed is the conference Tournament. It kind of sucks that we are so abjectly terrible at winning that format.

panda

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2021, 08:03:04 AM »
Watching Georgetown has me a bit green with envy. Not because of this year, or thinking "that should be us" (even though it should) but because we haven't been to a conference tournament title game since 1997. That means at least 25 years between even playing for an auto bid. We've been in the Big East for 16 years and have only played in the semifinals 3 times.

Maybe they're a bit random, but there isn't much that's more fun than a tournament run. Conference or NCAA, hell, even that NIT run was a blast. But the only tournament you're ever guaranteed is the conference Tournament. It kind of sucks that we are so abjectly terrible at winning that format.

Who would’ve thought a team could lose three cornerstone players, have the lowest talent level in conference and instead of taking the easy way out and complaining about covid and tough scheduling, they go out and get better?!

What a concept.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
Who would’ve thought a team could lose three cornerstone players, have the lowest talent level in conference and instead of taking the easy way out and complaining about covid and tough scheduling, they go out and get better?!

What a concept.

I agree.  Georgetown kept two core senior players in Blair and Pickett.  Then take Wahab, who I believed was the most improved player in the Big East, who is both a defensive and offensive threat now.  Add two senior transfers in Bile and Carey.  The point guard Harris has also improved since the start of the season.  Harris was a three star unranked recruit who had offers from Binghampton, Canisus and Toledo.  Georgetown was the only major school to offer. 

So, three seniors starting with an improved Wahab and freshman point guard.  Thing is their bench is slim and cannot fathom how they survived this far.  I assume everyone here will be rooting for them, it would be quite a great story.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »

Weren’t we in the CUSA Final vs Cinci in 2002?   Either way it’s amazing how long that is.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2021, 08:39:28 AM »

What a concept.

They mentioned last night that Georgetown is the first team ever picked last in the league to advance to the Championship game. They had, on paper, the worst roster in the league yet managed to finish ahead of us, beat us at MSG, and, in spite of all their limitations, will play for a NCAA berth tonight. In terms of actual game coaching and getting his teams to come together, he does pretty well. While he rarely exceeds preseason expectations, his teams generally get better in February and March than they are in January (when his teams tend to bottom out).

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
They mentioned last night that Georgetown is the first team ever picked last in the league to advance to the Championship game. They had, on paper, the worst roster in the league yet managed to finish ahead of us, beat us at MSG, and, in spite of all their limitations, will play for a NCAA berth tonight. In terms of actual game coaching and getting his teams to come together, he does pretty well. While he rarely exceeds preseason expectations, his teams generally get better in February and March than they are in January (when his teams tend to bottom out).

We have a Big East coach that ranks in the bottom 3 of the conference coaches, in a league where outside of Coach Wright is not ripe with all star coaching.  Its sad that we can't make any runs in the Big East Tournament.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
When They said on Fox air yesterday that MSG asked Patrick Ewing for his credentials it reminded me of one time my Daughter and I were at the Big East Tournament in MSG and an MU person and an MSG man came up to us and said their was a meeting going on in between games you should go to and gave us directions. We went down a flight down one hallway and down another hallway we could see the room and another MSG man stopped us and asked us for credentials which we did not have. We asked him what was going on in there and he said oh nothing they are just dropping beans whatever that meant. Also we saw Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson and got a picture with Diane. Charlie asked me for tickets to the next round. I called him with tickets but he did not return my call. There are many other stories NCAA tournament stories.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »
Yeah butt, wee kould still make da Tourney as a COVID replacement teem, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
Wow.  Incredible half for G-town.  Can they hold on?  36-18??  Creighton looks completely out of sorts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
When They said on Fox air yesterday that MSG asked Patrick Ewing for his credentials it reminded me of one time my Daughter and I were at the Big East Tournament in MSG and an MU person and an MSG man came up to us and said their was a meeting going on in between games you should go to and gave us directions. We went down a flight down one hallway and down another hallway we could see the room and another MSG man stopped us and asked us for credentials which we did not have. We asked him what was going on in there and he said oh nothing they are just dropping beans whatever that meant. Also we saw Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson and got a picture with Diane. Charlie asked me for tickets to the next round. I called him with tickets but he did not return my call. There are many other stories NCAA tournament stories.

Feel like I need to be dropping magic beans to make sense of this story

feedback