[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Flagrant 2  (Read 3622 times)

tower912

• All American
Flagrant 2
« on: December 12, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »
I could see a flagrant 1.   I did not see intent.  Of course, we did not get to see multiple angles and the domer sold it like Neymar.   The thing that could add to the intent is that David was in a really bad stretch and may have been frustrated.   I don't see how that can be factored.

24 hours later, flagrant 1.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 06:42:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Flagrant 2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 06:33:01 PM »
TV announcers seemed surprised also.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
I too thought flagrant 1.  He definitely got him but it wasn't intentional at all.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 07:05:09 PM »
I too thought flagrant 1.  He definitely got him but it wasn't intentional at all.

I don't think it was a 2 either, but I don't think supposed intention has anything to do with it right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 07:14:32 PM »
His head was in the dude’s shoulder, so he certainly couldn’t see what he was aiming at. And it didn’t have a fist or wind up, he was just running. It was a bad call, but thankfully the team responded.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 07:56:35 PM »

I don't think it was a 2 either, but I don't think supposed intention has anything to do with it right?

Looks like you are right. From a March 2022 NCAA rules update release:

A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.

A flagrant 2 foul is two shots and the ball and the player is ejected from the game. The rules committee added more words to describe this scenario, including brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 09:11:09 PM »
I could see a flagrant 1.   I did not see intent.  Of course, we did not get to see multiple angles and the domer sold it like Neymar.   The thing that could add to the intent is that David was in a really bad stretch and may have been frustrated.   I don't see how that can be factored.

Tower, are you telling us that it was downgraded after the game? I did not know they could do that.
So to make up for the ejection, does he get 8 or 9 fouls next game?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 09:16:05 PM »

James Breeding has officiated 66% of MU's losses. That said, during the Bucky game, he was interacting positively with a special needs fan and their family.  Love to hate him I guess?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 09:29:30 PM »
I believe an intentional Shot to the groin is a mandatory Flagrant 2 as it is considered excessive. 

I rewatched it several times because I couldn’t understand how they could have called anything. if you watch it close Joplin comes in low and then swings up. He knows he is going to get picked there and it appears he swings up and racked him with the top of his fist or forearm vs a punch. 

I can see why they would call it intentional. I was hoping the broadcast would come back to it with a reverse angle. If they had that shot then it would have been pretty obvious what Joplin had done. No place for it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »
Total BS call.    Galactically not flagrant 2, preposterous he was ejected.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 05:03:02 AM »
No, IMO a flagrant 1 was the worst it deserved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 07:28:08 AM »
Looks like you are right. From a March 2022 NCAA rules update release:

A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.

A flagrant 2 foul is two shots and the ball and the player is ejected from the game. The rules committee added more words to describe this scenario, including brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing.

Hitting someone in the nuts is definitely cruel, I can attest.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 07:57:46 AM »
I just watched it a bunch if times. I honestly don't think that there is much in the angle that they showed on TV that makes it particularly clear one way or the other. I do note that his hand really does linger in the "area" for what seems like an unusually long time even after the two have already fallen down and separated. I don't know what that was about. It's enough to make me wonder if maybe there was a little F2 going on, if you know what I mean. Maybe there are other angles available. If there are other angles, I really hope Shaka takes a look closely and if it's questionable at all I hope he makes it very clear to the team that we're not Wisconsin (or Duke) and we're not going to tolerate that crap.

And for the record, I really like Joplin. Liked him before the ND game. Like him now. Once is an accident. Twice is concerning. I'm confident we'll never get to twice.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 08:14:30 AM »
Didn’t Kolek get clobbered in the head shortly after that.  Foul but not a word about potential flagrant foul.  Gotta wonder.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 08:16:40 AM »
It looked like he took Laszewski’s shoulder to the chin and crumpled like a boxer. I agree that his arm lingered but it didn’t appear like he was actually moving his arm, just falling to the ground as his knees buckled.  He didn’t seem dazed after, so I guess not.

Davidson’s arm was definitely swinging up so it seemed easier to assume intent.

Laszweski could have been overselling too, just like he did later in the game when he looked like he got shot in the head on no contact.

I’m also of the old school thought that if your nuts are exposed you’re not setting a good pick. I think he almost took off Sean Jones head earlier in the game with his elbows up at shoulder height.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 08:49:56 AM »
I thought Joplin's left hand was in an area that it shouldn't have been and seemed to linger there a bit longer than it should have.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »
I thought Joplin's left hand was in an area that it shouldn't have been and seemed to linger there a bit longer than it should have.

So on deeper analysis: Was it a bird in the hand or two in the bush?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 10:11:51 AM »
Didn’t Kolek get clobbered in the head shortly after that.  Foul but not a word about potential flagrant foul.  Gotta wonder.
Yup...that was a forearm above the shoulders.  I watched Jop's play a number of times (only one view), and my take was an official apology is necessary as claiming that someone intentionally did that is harming to the player beyond just that game. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 10:43:10 AM »
I watched Jop's play a number of times (only one view), and my take was an official apology is necessary as claiming that someone intentionally did that is harming to the player beyond just that game.

Several thoughts on that:

• Nobody necessarily said that Joplin intentionally did anything. It's not part of the rule (although I'll admit that the nature of the foul and the ejection make people think otherwise).
  • There is not really a good shot of it, so it won't get the viral explosion that either Davison or Allen got. Those videos were so obvious that people watched them and said, "He just punched that guy in the nuts." There won't be any of that with the video of this that we've seen so far. So, "harm" to the player beyond just that game isn't as big of a concern.
  • As I said above, once is an accident and people can wonder whether it was intentional. Twice is a trend. That's where "harm" to the player beyond just that game really comes into play. Coupling this with the previously point, this won't ever be widely seen unless a trend develops and it becomes part of a montage. I'm confident that won't happen.
  • Even though I don't think the one shot they showed on the broadcast was conclusive, I'll admit that after re-watching it I'm leaning toward F2 being the appropriate call. I'd really like to know if there was another shot and, if so, why the broadcast team didn't show it. It was ESPN2 for goodness sake...they definitely have multiple shots of that play.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lawdog77

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »
Let's start with the fact that that was an illegal (moving screen) missed to start with. It looked like Jop (while lingering) was trying to steady himself. The flop (one of many by Laz) is a point of emphasis and should have been a warning.

Unless the rule states explicitly that ANY nut crunch is a F2, that call is just the usual Breeding Special with drama. He loves to go to the replay to fall back on his grading for NCAA games because he misses so many calls in live action.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 12:29:53 PM »
Let's start with the fact that that was an illegal (moving screen) missed to start with. It looked like Jop (while lingering) was trying to steady himself. The flop (one of many by Laz) is a point of emphasis and should have been a warning.

Unless the rule states explicitly that ANY nut crunch is a F2, that call is just the usual Breeding Special with drama. He loves to go to the replay to fall back on his grading for NCAA games because he misses so many calls in live action.

It also looked like Jop was the first player with a hand in his groin on the collision. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 04:26:18 PM »
I understand the call. It’s important to look at the rule

The ‘hang time’ of Jop’s arm is likely what tipped the scales in the direction of the call that was made.

Section 15, Article 2(c)(2)(d)… Any contact by the offending player to the groin area of an opponent which is not clearly accidental

…is used to determine whether we’ve got a flagrant 2.

Does the video look like there may have been contact to the groin area?.. yeah, probably… was it not clearly accidental? It may have been, but it’s not clear – arm seemed to be in the area for awhile.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 04:42:51 PM »
Nothing that that sheisskopf Breeding does to us should surprise us at this point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 04:44:57 PM »
Breeding and environment lead to results.

feedback