[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Refs  (Read 5699 times)

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
Re: Refs
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
I don't know if I would call the officiating "consistant", but it isn't in a lot of games I watch no matter the conference.  Did we lose only bc of the refs?  Absolutely not.  Is it ok to complain about some of the inconsistencies?  Yell about them during the game?  Boo during stoppages in play to check the replay?  Post your complaints on a site all about MU hoops?  Absolutely yes!  Does it make a difference in the game?  Probably not.  But it makes me and I assume other fans feel better to express their thoughts.  Especially after such an emotional loss.
"We have the blues on the run!"

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
The non call on Thabeet midway through the first half would have been his second and he would have gotten a blow...whatever...I did notice that with about 30 seconds left in the game they called a foul on Thabeet so I guess they made up for it.  But hey you can't let Price go off like that ...but they played hard and had their chances but a lot was going against us last night.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
I thought it interesting that the team fouls stood at 7 for UCONN and 3 for MU when Calhoun gets his T and is hounding the refs.  What happens next?   7 straight fouls called against MU. >:(

I noticed the same thing. I was beginning to wonder if Calhoun was making a deal with the refs to help him get win 800.

Woodgreen Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
I think if anything shows how incompetent the refs were tonight, it was the fact they had to make sure McNeal's 3, when the score was 20-19, was in fact a 3.  He was about 2-3 feet behind the line, not even close, so if they had doubt about that play, they surely weren't watching the game very closely.

That was Calhoun wanting the refs to take a look at it.  Which was a great move by a vet coach to get the crowd to settle down without using a TO.

mucrew08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »
I won't say that the officials lost the game for us, because they didn't. There were many factors that went into this lost. But I can say that if there was a different set of refs out there the outcome would have been different. Whether thats MU winning, losing by a smaller margin or a bigger margin it would have been different. I never realized how much of a whiner Calhoun was until tonight. Every call, even if it went his way, he was in the refs hear complaining.  The refs need to grow a pair and be their own person and stop listening to him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
Latvian,

I do not comment on the refs every game. I noted earlier that Calhoun worked the refs pretty good and they swallowed the whistles on UConn in the last 15 minutes of the game. You claim it was consistently called both ways. But at least 2 of the fouls called on Hayward were pathetic ticky-tack stuff that Thabett did every time on defense. Thabett got away with hip checks, grabbing jerseys, not having his feet set, leaving his feet on defense and slamming into MU guys driving the lane. That's all fine. But then they call a foul on Hayward when Thabett is moving backwards and rams into Hayward with his butt. They call a foul on Burke when he gets all ball. They call a charge on Matthews when the UConn defender has one foot off the floor and isn't set. Yes, it was a physical game, but UConn got more discretion from the refs than MU did.

Hayward's foul was definately ticky tack.... but so was the moving screen called on UConn.  Regarding the supposed calls that should have gone against Thabeet, if the person driving to the basket initiates the contact and the defender has decent position, they are *not* going to bail him out.  It is called that way at every level of basketball.  Unless the defender knocks the driver off of a clear lane to the basket, don't expect that call ever.

And Matthews charge was the correct call.  A defender can jump straight up and still draw a charge.  Wes put his shoulder into him.

Regardless, it is just tiresome to see this after every single game.  I would think rational people would maybe realize they have their gold colored glasses on when they make these complaints...or maybe its just me.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
Regardless, it is just tiresome to see this after every single game.  I would think rational people would maybe realize they have their gold colored glasses on when they make these complaints...or maybe its just me.

+1

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
It would have been a stretch, but anyone else think there was a reach in by the UConn defender when Hayward was called for his charge with about 2 mins left?  Clearly Hayward was going strong to the basket, and possibly out of control, but he was trying to fight through his man (who could have been called for a reach in).  Hayward's man didn't have position, but the guy giving the help did.

Regardless, this game was much closer then the score would indicate in my book.

Sungod

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
I noticed from the baseline camera view that Lazar was held and turned coming around the corner.  It looked like that spun him out of control and as a result into the charging call.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
I noticed from the baseline camera view that Lazar was held and turned coming around the corner.  It looked like that spun him out of control and as a result into the charging call.

He may have been held, but that certainly didn't *cause* him to charge.

Sungod

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »
The root cause (engineer in me) for Lazar's charge was Lazar was out of control.  Why was he out of control, because a defender grabbed him or reached in changing his direction and speed.

feedback