[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: THIS IS ONLY FOR DJ UPDATES...  (Read 6154 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
THIS IS ONLY FOR DJ UPDATES...
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
don't post unless you have some info please.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

LON

• All American
Re: THIS IS ONLY FOR DJ UPDATES...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
not sure how valid, i am hearing broken foot

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
Dj is on crutches. Left foot tapped in warm up clothes

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
Broken foot.  Just said on ESPN.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
metatarsal

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:38 PM »
fractured 5th metatarsal per espn

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »
Supposedly heal within 4 to 6 weeks w/o any other complications.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_meta5tar_sma.htm

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
It is most likely a "Jones" fracture of the base of the 5th metatarsal. Immobilization would be necessary at least 4 wks then 4 more weeks 'till James can resume activity . IOW ,if he has this fracture ,his season is most likely done .

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »
Opening rounds of the NCAA tournament is March 19-21.    

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »
It is most likely a "Jones" fracture of the base of the 5th metatarsal. Immobilization would be necessary at least 4 wks then 4 more weeks 'till James can resume activity . IOW ,if he has this fracture ,his season is most likely done .

What about a crap load of Vicadin?

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Let's hope its not a "Jones" fracture.....for both DJ and the sake of the team.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
First Diener, then McNeal and now DJ.  What has MU done to receive this cruel punishment.

vols101

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
Here is the deal with James.  Im fairly confident that i know what I am talking about as I am having surgery tomorrow morning to fix a fracture of my fifth metatarsal as well.   I'm not sure the exact fracture type James has (as it could be many types) but I have what is referred to as a Jones fracture.  The are two ways to heal an injury like this.  One is to go conservative and cast it.  The problem with this is that a Jones fracture is in a watershed area(an area that does not have adequate blood flow through it- this makes the fracture difficult to heal).  If he elects this option he puts his recovery up to nature...and it could take many months to heal.  The more probable approach is the one I as an athlete chose.  They can repair the toe by inserting a screw into the toe surgically.  This means that he would be non weight bearing for up to 4 weeks after surgery.  After that, it is a slow process to putting more weight on it.  Realistically, he is looking at 3 months before he can play basketball.  

Its a tough break for both him, and MU.  

vols101

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:30:38 PM »
I didnt mean the ending statement as a joke....like I said I know what hes going through.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »
I didnt mean the ending statement as a joke....like I said I know what hes going through.

Wow.  Thanks for the insights.  This sucks, I guess God didn't enjoy getting a bunch of MU basketball prayer requests today. 

vols101

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
Just to further add..  In my original post, I am specifically talking about a Jones Fracture(that is what I have).  It looked to me, as they just showed on TV that he had it casted....As I had said before, there are many types of fractures that can occur on the fifth metatarsal...maybe his isn't as severe as a Jones.  Hopefully thats the case and he is only out for a few weeks.  But like I said, if it IS a Jones fracture....his season is almost certainly over.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »
Hey Vols ,please check my earlier post .I kinda summed it up .Regardless of surgery or not,his season is over and I also said IF he has a"jones" fx.

vols101

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »
I did see you post, good and accurate post....i was just letting everyone know in depth as to what he is looking at if it IS a Jones fracture.  As im sure many people will google or wikipedia it to find out what it is.    But he is not yet completely done for the season....if it is a slight fracture towards the end of the toe...a few weeks and he cold be good to go.  It all depends on the fracture type.  Im hoping its not that serious...a few weeks off it and he could be back towards the tournament.  I agree that he is MOST LIKELY done for the season, but he may make it back.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »
BTW Vols ,I was in Nashville for the MU/TN game ,sat in the first row behind the Vol bench

vols101

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »
Good to hear about you being at that game.  I was torn that game.  I am a student at UT...but I grew up in MKE and going to every home Marquette game.  In retrospect this season has worked out well.  TN won that match up, but MU has been very successful the rest of the way.  Hopefully both will have a good showing in the NCAA Tourney.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Our worst fear has happened, 1 of the big 4 went down. Hopefully we can at least pick up a win at syracuse and hope for a 4 seed in the tourney

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Buzz said DJ is career is over at MU.  Will undergo surgery.  same thing that liam mcmorrow.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
Per UPTODATE.com:
"ACUTE FRACTURES OF THE PROXIMAL DIAPHYSIS (JONES FRACTURE) — These fractures, first described by Jones in 1902, occur within 1.5 cm of the metatarsal tuberosity and extend towards or into the intermetatarsal joint (show figure 2) (show figure 4) [2]. The area where these fractures occur is referred to using different terms, including "proximal diaphysis" and "junction of the metaphysis and diaphysis." Fractures in this area generally result from an acute injury. It is important to distinguish acute traumatic fractures from stress fractures, which may also develop in this location, as treatment is often different.

Mechanism of injury — Inversion does not cause this fracture. Some researchers claim it is caused by vertical or mediolateral forces exerted on the base of the fifth metatarsal, while the heel is raised and the foot is plantar flexed [15]. Others ascribe the injury to a significant adduction force applied to the forefoot, while the ankle is in plantar flexion [4]. Practically speaking, athletes can sustain this injury through sudden change in direction with the heel off the ground during events such as football, basketball, or tennis matches."

General indications — Displaced fractures of the proximal diaphysis generally require internal fixation, and any patient with greater than 2 mm of displacement should be referred to an orthopedist or podiatrist [4].

Initial treatment — Once conditions requiring emergent referral have been excluded, initial treatment consists of immobilization in a posterior splint, strict non-weight-bearing (crutches are required), and a follow-up visit in three to five days. Icing (while keeping the splint dry) and elevation of the injured foot above the level of the heart are recommended to minimize swelling. Appropriate analgesics should be provided; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are not recommended because of possible deleterious effects on bone healing. (See "Overview of stress fractures", section on Pain control).

Surgery versus conservative therapy — For nondisplaced, acute fractures, most authors recommend conservative treatment [4,6-8]. However, unlike tuberosity fractures, fractures of the diaphysis are difficult to classify properly, and conservative treatment is more likely to fail. Before initiating long-term conservative treatment of such a fracture, the primary care clinician should discuss with the patient both the difficulties inherent in nonoperative management and alternative treatment options, including early referral to an orthopedist or podiatrist for possible operative repair.

Acute diaphyseal fractures pose several challenges. First, it can be difficult to distinguish between acute and stress fractures. (See "Stress fractures of the proximal diaphysis" belowSee "Stress fractures of the proximal diaphysis" below). Thus, it is important that the clinician ask about symptoms preceding any acute injury and carefully examine all x-rays to detect findings suggesting a stress fracture. Second, treatment includes casting and strict non-weight-bearing for up to several months, and even motivated patients will find compliance difficult. Finally, up to 50 percent of acute diaphyseal fractures treated conservatively may result in nonunion or refracture [4].

The incidence of nonunion and refracture may be overestimated, however, since some studies have likely misclassified stress fractures among the acute fractures [4]. However, even in studies where fractures are carefully differentiated, delayed union is surprisingly common following acute injury. One study that appears to have carefully separated acute and stress fractures found that four of eight basketball players with acute fractures treated nonoperatively had not healed by 12 weeks [16]. The relatively poor vascular supply to this area (show figure 3) and stress at the fracture site from premature return to weight-bearing exercise are two major reasons for poor healing [6].

Only one randomized trial has compared surgical and conservative treatment of these fractures [17]. In this study, 19 patients were treated with intramedullary screw fixation followed by two weeks of immobilization, while 18 patients were immobilized in a non-weight-bearing, short-leg cast for eight weeks, followed by a walking cast or hard-sole shoe, until there was both clinical and radiographic evidence of fracture union. Treatment failure, defined as a symptomatic fracture present on x-ray at 26 weeks after the initial injury, occurred in eight patients treated conservatively but in only one treated operatively. The median time required for patients to return to running and jumping sports also differed significantly: conservatively-treated patients required 15 weeks (95% CI 13-18), while surgically-treated patients needed only eight weeks (95% CI 6.8-9).

In light of the difficulties in treating acute diaphyseal fractures, early surgical fixation [5,8] and prolonged use of a customized weight-bearing orthosis [6,18] are reasonable options in select cases. Regardless of the ultimate choice, treatment decisions must be made after careful discussion with the patient."

"Acute fractures of the proximal fifth metatarsal heal poorly compared with similar fractures of other metatarsals. Many authorities recommend conservative treatment, but some evidence suggests surgery yields superior outcomes. Before initiating conservative treatment, the clinician should carefully discuss the treatment options with the patient, including early referral for possible operative repair. For those patients selecting nonoperative management, we suggest treatment with a short-leg, non-weight-bearing cast for six to eight weeks (Grade 2B). Delayed union and nonunion may occur even with expert conservative treatment and excellent patient compliance. A suggested treatment and rehabilitation schedule is described in the text. "

This is why I can't go into orthopedics... it would break my heart to be the bearer of bad news to athletes of such an elite level.

Sorry for the super long post, but that's the long and short of it all.

Friends call me Shaka

• Walk-On
Jones fracture
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
from web md
The other type is the Jones fracture, which is much less common but does not heal as well. This fracture gets worse with time if you keep walking on it, so non-weight bearing is very important. People with this fracture often (35-50% of the time) develop problems healing that require an operation

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 04:10:44 AM »
thank you God. after i prayed and prayed to you today you obivoulsy didn't understand me and react. i was crying my eyes out tonight as i sat and drank beer by myself. i remember his very first game vs. Rice at home :(

damn :(

GREAT CAREER DOMINIC JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
What about a crap load of Vicadin?

Vicodin only dulls the pain. With his strength and the severe forces involved in basketball he would almost assuredly snap that metatarsal if he continued to play on it. If he ever wants to walk normally again, let alone play basketball professionally, he needs to rest and let it heal properly.

We Are Marquette

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
I'm not even sure I want to hear about this, but can anyone who was watching on TV actually tell/show me what happened?

From the crowd, obviously we remained focused on the game, and all of a sudden it was like "Oh.. James has been out for too long."

Then, "Oh, James is coming back out on crutches."

Then word slowly spread through the crowd.

I have no recollection of the play (or non-play?) that caused the injury.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
I'm not even sure I want to hear about this, but can anyone who was watching on TV actually tell/show me what happened?

From the crowd, obviously we remained focused on the game, and all of a sudden it was like "Oh.. James has been out for too long."

Then, "Oh, James is coming back out on crutches."

Then word slowly spread through the crowd.

I have no recollection of the play (or non-play?) that caused the injury.

That is exactly what happened. It was definitely a "Where's James?" moment? I found this video on the ESPN website:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3935527&categoryid=2459792

It still looks like almost nothing happened.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
Vicodin only dulls the pain. With his strength and the severe forces involved in basketball he would almost assuredly snap that metatarsal if he continued to play on it. If he ever wants to walk normally again, let alone play basketball professionally, he needs to rest and let it heal properly.

we would also like for him not to be addicted to narcotic pain medicines . . i think one major WI athlete is enough.

feedback