[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PreGame  (Read 1911 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
PreGame
« on: February 03, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »
Anyone else notice about half of the Villanova players walk into the tunnel prior to the national anthem and then return immediately after?  What was going on with that?

jficke13

• All American
Re: PreGame
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 03:54:15 PM »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 03:55:33 PM »
Honestly wasn't sure if it was some sort of protest.  I guess I assumed that but wasn't sure if this was something ongoing throughout the year with them or what?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were going back there to discuss abortion rights while getting a COVID booster shot, but it's ok because they went back to the tunnel in electric vehicles to save the planet from global warming.  And yes, before you ask the flat earth maps are indeed in the glove compartment, can't leave home without them!  The only thing that got them on the floor was threat of the death penalty and excommunication from the Church due to a lack of faith and belief in the almighty, with returning to play the game being the only proof they believe in eternal salvation through Jesus Christ our savior.

Did I miss anything? 

Oh, then again, maybe they were using the unisex bathrooms at the FF, since they don't identify with any particular gender at any given time.

Yep, that's why.   No biggie, carry on.

IBTL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 04:07:48 PM »
Grateful they didn't get shot trying to get to Fiserv after arriving from cushy Philly.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 04:09:19 PM »
NM.

Just gonna wait for this one to close up. Or turn into a "foul/not foul" debate.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:11:48 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 04:12:20 PM »
https://ausports.net/a-penn-benefactor-says-hes-bringing-in-his-donations-over-national-anthem-protests/

"About half of Villanova’s men’s team left the field for the national anthem and returned immediately after. When asked on Sunday, Villanova coach Jay Wright said some players had done so last season, but few spectators attended the games to see it.

“It’s a really positive experience within our team and within our athletic department,” Wright said. “We had each man explain why he’s either going to stand for the national anthem — because half of them are standing, half are going in — we had each man explain individually why he’s standing for the national anthem, and why they’re not standing. Our goal was to respect that our veterans fought for our country, and the beauty of our country is that everyone is willing to make their own decisions. That’s the beauty of our country.”

Wright added: “Every man who’s in the locker room said to the guys on the pitch, ‘I respect what you’re doing.’ Every man on the pitch said to the boys in the locker room: “I respect what you do. I don’t agree, but I respect having that [view] and I understand why.’ So that’s what we’re trying to teach our guys: take the time to understand each other’s opinion, respect it — you don’t have to like it — but understand and respect it.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »
https://ausports.net/a-penn-benefactor-says-hes-bringing-in-his-donations-over-national-anthem-protests/

"About half of Villanova’s men’s team left the field for the national anthem and returned immediately after. When asked on Sunday, Villanova coach Jay Wright said some players had done so last season, but few spectators attended the games to see it.

“It’s a really positive experience within our team and within our athletic department,” Wright said. “We had each man explain why he’s either going to stand for the national anthem — because half of them are standing, half are going in — we had each man explain individually why he’s standing for the national anthem, and why they’re not standing. Our goal was to respect that our veterans fought for our country, and the beauty of our country is that everyone is willing to make their own decisions. That’s the beauty of our country.”

Wright added: “Every man who’s in the locker room said to the guys on the pitch, ‘I respect what you’re doing.’ Every man on the pitch said to the boys in the locker room: “I respect what you do. I don’t agree, but I respect having that [view] and I understand why.’ So that’s what we’re trying to teach our guys: take the time to understand each other’s opinion, respect it — you don’t have to like it — but understand and respect it.”

Fair enough.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 04:55:41 PM »

Thank you

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 10:01:09 AM »

Oh, then again, maybe they were using the unisex bathrooms at the FF, since they don't identify with any particular gender at any given time.

Hey now, those genderless bathrooms really helped me when the men's line was huge before OT in the wisco providence hockey game in December. No one knew they existed.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 11:40:45 AM »

Hey now, those genderless bathrooms really helped me when the men's line was huge before OT in the wisco providence hockey game in December. No one knew they existed.

So I actually think they're great... for me it comes in handy when I take my 3 yr old daughter and don't have to do the "do I take her to the men's room" debate!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 11:44:39 AM »
Anyone else notice about half of the Villanova players walk into the tunnel prior to the national anthem and then return immediately after?  What was going on with that?

Never understood the whole national anthem at sporting events.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »
So I actually think they're great... for me it comes in handy when I take my 3 yr old daughter and don't have to do the "do I take her to the men's room" debate!

From the family perspective I agree and have zero problem with them otherwise.  But for the life of me I can’t understand why a woman would ever want to go into a public bathroom that guys wer just in prior to them.  Guys bathrooms are gross. Always have been, always will be.  Guys just can’t help making a mess especially at sporting events or any event for that matter where drinking is involved.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »

Wow, Jay should go into politics. On second thought, taking time to understand an opposite opinion and respect it disqualifies him from politics.

The whole thing puts me in mind of Gary Brell's mini-protest.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 04:13:10 PM »

I totally respect what Jay and the players are doing.

But am I the only one who has never heard someone refer to a basketball court as a pitch? I’m used to that for soccer, but hoops?

feedback