[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sweet 16 Matchup Nightmares, can any insiders post this?  (Read 4570 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Sweet 16 Matchup Nightmares, can any insiders post this?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
My hard-earned money...all for you:

East Region
Indiana Hoosiers: Victor Oladipo
You could almost always make a case for Oladipo being a matchup nightmare, but it's especially true for this game. Against the Syracuse zone, Oladipo's ability to get to the offensive glass, get into seams off the drive, and catch in the middle of the zone to either shoot or get the ball to open teammates will be critical. He's a tough one for the Orange to account for. On defense, Oladipo likely will have the responsibility of defending Brandon Triche, which is important because when Triche plays well, Syracuse plays well.

Syracuse Orange: C.J. Fair
Fair isn't a guy who can break you down off the dribble, but his cumulative effect on the game could give Indiana trouble. He runs the floor hard; he is difficult to keep off the offensive glass; and his length on defense creates turnovers, which could be Syracuse's best offense against IU. And even though he doesn't have a lot of plays run for him, Fair can score.

Miami Hurricanes: Shane Larkin
I've written about Larkin a lot this season, but I have to pick him for this one, too. He is the one who makes everything go for Miami -- his ability to see all five defenders, make the correct read on ball screens, and either score himself or distribute to his teammates is really hard to defend. He's a menace defensively, as well, as he has great hands, feet and anticipation.

I think Marquette will put Junior Cadougan on Larkin and do its best to push up on him and get over the Canes' ball screens, trying to extend the defense and making Larkin work in the full court.

Marquette Golden Eagles: Vander Blue
Blue is playing at an elite level right now. He is fearless taking it to the basket, and that, along with his ability to make shots in recent games, makes him very tough to defend. He wants the ball in late-game situations, and he is playing with the swagger of a player who knows this is his team right now.

I expect Miami to put Durand Scott on Blue, and this should be one of the best individual matchups in the tournament. Scott is strong enough and determined enough to defend Blue, and he's a guy who might feel a little underappreciated after having some tough breaks throughout his college career. He knows that this is his stage to shine on by shutting down his opponent's best player.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
That's a pretty weak analysis of how we'll defend Larkin.  "Eh, maybe they'll let the other PG guard him."  No mention of D.Wilson.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
Thanks Lens

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
That's a pretty weak analysis of how we'll defend Larkin.  "Eh, maybe they'll let the other PG guard him."  No mention of D.Wilson.

or Todd Mayo.  He is so athletic and can be a defensive beast.  I think Todd will make his season a success tomorrow night.  We are rooting for you Todd.  I want mayo all over that Larkin sandwich.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
or Todd Mayo.  He is so athletic and can be a defensive beast.  I think Todd will make his season a success tomorrow night.  We are rooting for you Todd.  I want mayo all over that Larkin sandwich.

What has Todd Mayo done in the last 15 games to make anyone think that's a good idea? 

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
What has Todd Mayo done in the last 15 games to make anyone think that's a good idea? 

I completely agree with you, Bocephys.....not much.  I just feel that we will struggle with Larkin's athleticism, and Vander can't do it all for the entire game.  Todd has the athletic ability, and I believe Buzz is the kind of coach that can make him click when it really counts.  Almost like the Jake Thomas 4 point play.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
Cadougan can't guard Larkin one on one. Jr. will be left in his wake.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »

See Dame, Notre.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
I think they run Vander or even Lockett at Larkin.  Miami doesn't assist a lot anyway(10 per game) and half of them come from Larkin(5 per game).  If you cut off Larkin's distribution and scoring, you severely weaken their offense.  Plus Vander is long enough to recover off screens without giving up the pick and rolls.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Put Junior on Larkin and have them clunk heads.  It worked against Tra Woodall and Pitt.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
Not sure how this is really up for question.  Larkin is 6'2, 6'3.  Derrick is 6'1.  Derrick is our best defensive weapon.  Larkin pg, Derrick pg.  Case closed to me.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Not sure how this is really up for question.  Larkin is 6'2, 6'3.  Derrick is 6'1.  Derrick is our best defensive weapon.  Larkin pg, Derrick pg.  Case closed to me.

Larkin is listed 5'11, 176 by Miami.

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
Larkin is listed 5'11, 176 by Miami.

Reallly?  Wow, even better!  I thought i read an ESPN article that had him listed as 6'2, 6'3
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Larkin is not 6'2"  If he's really 5'10" I'd be surprised. 

JD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

All the more reasoning i'm perplexed that people are trying to figure out who's going to smother him.

AL

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »
Put Junior on Larkin and have them clunk heads.  It worked against Tra Woodall and Pitt.

Seconded, but that was Derrick Wilson.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »

Good catch.  Espn lists at 5'11, so he's probably more like 5'10.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
Good catch.  Espn lists at 5'11, so he's probably more like 5'10.

Tim Doyle said he's no taller than 5'9" on The Score this morning.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
Tim Doyle said he's no taller than 5'9" on The Score this morning.

Bring back Junior Mints for a "little people" fight.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
I think they run Vander or even Lockett at Larkin.  Miami doesn't assist a lot anyway(10 per game) and half of them come from Larkin(5 per game).  If you cut off Larkin's distribution and scoring, you severely weaken their offense.  Plus Vander is long enough to recover off screens without giving up the pick and rolls.

I like Trent alot, but no way should he cover Larkin. Way too slow.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

It's shallow, but may be accurate. Let Junior guard Larkin and let our better defenders clog the passing lanes. Force Larkin to only beat us one-on-one. Junior may struggle to stay with him, but if we take away his playmaking ability he becomes a lot more mortal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
It's shallow, but may be accurate. Let Junior guard Larkin and let our better defenders clog the passing lanes. Force Larkin to only beat us one-on-one. Junior may struggle to stay with him, but if we take away his playmaking ability he becomes a lot more mortal.

Letting him go at it 1-on-1 will ALLOW Larkin to make a play: Larkin beats his man off the dribble, 2nd level defender helps, Larkin kicks out for a shot.

I'm curious how a zone might take them out of the penetration game, especially with no 6'10" underneath.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
Letting him go at it 1-on-1 will ALLOW Larkin to make a play: Larkin beats his man off the dribble, 2nd level defender helps, Larkin kicks out for a shot.

I'm curious how a zone might take them out of the penetration game, especially with no 6'10" underneath.

Clemson did it twice. They hedged the lanes and Larkin had subpar games both times they played him. Granted, Miami won both games, but we are a much better team than Clemson in nearly every facet of the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback