'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Man Preference  (Read 5458 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Big Man Preference
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
So there has been a lot of talk about which type of "big man" people prefer, my question to all of you is which of the following "big men" would you take if you could only select one?

Maurice Sutton*, 6-11 C
Frank Ben-Eze*, 6-10 C
Josh Crittle*, 6-8 PF
Edgar Garibay, 6-10 C
Quintrell Thomas*, 6-8 PF
Lance Goulbourne* 6-7
Jared Swopshire* 6-7
Renaldo Woolridge, 6-8
Luke Fabrizius*, 6-9

I realize some of these guys are probably more of a 3/4, nonetheless thought I would list them.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
Re: Big Man Preference
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
Quintrell Thomas. He's got decent height, but he's big and can battle down in the post. I also like that Scout lists one of his primary strengths as Intensity/Passion.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:39:31 AM »
Ben-Eze.

Superior athlete and size to match

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:45:34 AM »
I simply want a big man who is two things, (a) actually a big man, not necessarily 7', but at least 6'8" and (b) is NOT a project, i.e., can come in and contribute right away.  With the guards Crean can seem to recruit, a big man of this sort would really make MU tough to beat.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:46:27 PM »
I want a guy built in the mold of Robert Jackson.  We need a big strong bruiser who can bang around in the paint and rebound.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »
I think some of you are missing the point.  Not who you would like the guy to be like or in what mold, but which one of these listed above would you like to see in an MU uniform?

NYWarrior thanks for the post, not being on the East Coast, I haven't heard much about about Ben-Eze can you give any more insight about what makes him a superior athlete etc....?

shaquilvaine

• Starter
I second that NYWarrior
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 02:22:44 PM »
Ben-Eze is who I prefer.  Superb student who is being recruited by Harvard as well as high-majors.  He is a true big as well and not some unathletic stiff.  I'd much rather see some true height, not a 6'6" "big".  The guy would fit in well with our uptempo style. 

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »
So there has been a lot of talk about which type of "big man" people prefer, my question to all of you is which of the following "big men" would you take if you could only select one?

Maurice Sutton*, 6-11 C
Frank Ben-Eze*, 6-10 C
Josh Crittle*, 6-8 PF
Edgar Garibay, 6-10 C
Lance Goulbourne* 6-7
Jared Swopshire* 6-7
Renaldo Woolridge, 6-8
Luke Fabrizius*, 6-9

I realize some of these guys are probably more of a 3/4, nonetheless thought I would list them.

The 'no shot' guys I would like would either be Thomas or Woolridge. I know Wool still lists MU but I feel he is going elsewhere.

Out of the guys they could land, it would be:
Ben-Eze
Goulbourne
Crittle

Interestingly, Shumpert has been quoted as saying he'd love to come in with a wing and a big. MU's got the wing covered (Nick Williams) and Ben-Eze would cover the big. So, your table is ready Master Shumpert.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »

Maurice Sutton*, 6-11 C
Frank Ben-Eze*, 6-10 C
Josh Crittle*, 6-8 PF
Edgar Garibay, 6-10 C
Lance Goulbourne* 6-7
Jared Swopshire* 6-7
Renaldo Woolridge, 6-8
Luke Fabrizius*, 6-9

The 'no shot' guys I would like would either be Thomas or Woolridge. I know Wool still lists MU but I feel he is going elsewhere.

Out of the guys they could land, it would be:
Ben-Eze
Goulbourne
Crittle

Interestingly, Shumpert has been quoted as saying he'd love to come in with a wing and a big. MU's got the wing covered (Nick Williams) and Ben-Eze would cover the big. So, your table is ready Master Shumpert.

Is there a chance that MU lands 2 of these guys?

I'm assuming that DJ is going into the draft this year for sure (barring major injury). Would MU consider signing 2 of these big guys if they got commitments from 2 of them?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
If Crean can get 2 out of Ben-Eze, Sutton, Goulbourne, and Crittle, he will take them.  If we don't land Shumpert, maybe we can get 3 of them.  My guess is that we'll have another class of 4 guys either way.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »
If Crean can get 2 out of Ben-Eze, Sutton, Goulbourne, and Crittle, he will take them.  If we don't land Shumpert, maybe we can get 3 of them.  My guess is that we'll have another class of 4 guys either way.

Man, that would be sweet to get 2 of those big men to go along with shumpert and williams. That would be one deep team. MU would really just be reloading with talent and would be set up for another few seasons.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
I think some of you are missing the point.  Not who you would like the guy to be like or in what mold, but which one of these listed above would you like to see in an MU uniform?

Not at all, it was my way of saying, anyone on the current list who meets those criteria would be fine with me.  Recruiting is such a crap shoot, and none of us watches enough of these players to make a definitive statement one way or another.  I have confidence Crean can coach a talented big man, so as long as he has the right tools coming in, it won't matter who it is.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 05:10:33 PM »
why is thomas a  ..."No Way" ...did i miss something?

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »

Ya, I second that. When did he drop us?
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »

MU got trimmed off a few days ago.
But I like to throw handfuls...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »
Strokin won't like this but here's what I want:

A basketball player.  I could careless about wingspan, vertical, deflections and how many blocks he had vs. St Ignatius Prep and their 6ft center.  I just want a kid who can score a little on his own.  Measurements are for the NFL Combine.  Basketball players win basketball games...athletes end up at Daytona Community College.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »
could someone possible post an article or link where Thomas "dropped" us I can find nothing of the sort 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »
Harrison, as far I know we're "still on the list" but KU is the team to beat I believe.  He has a long list of schools, about 10 and we're typically mentioned near the bottom.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:15:07 PM »
I have no reason to doubt that and I have seen where Kandsas has become a player, however, scout seems to do a pretty good job as do the other sites of mantaining the "lists" and we seem in pretty good shape. 
My most pressing concern is Mbakwe

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

That's what my friends and I have been saying all summer...2008?  I just want to see the REAL roster for 2007 first.

My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
I have no reason to doubt that and I have seen where Kandsas has become a player, however, scout seems to do a pretty good job as do the other sites of mantaining the "lists" and we seem in pretty good shape. 

Scout does a great job. Having written that, they still have Marquette listed as "High Interest" on Rotnei Clarke's list even though Clarke released a public list of final schools and MU was not on it.

Thomas ain't coming to MU.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
could someone possible post an article or link where Thomas "dropped" us I can find nothing of the sort 

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#S=415&F=1316&T=799664
But I like to throw handfuls...

feedback