[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shumpert  (Read 15515 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Shumpert
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »
Just saw a new article posted over on Scout.  Appears it is between us and two ACC schools after he officially cut his list not sure which two are left?  Anyone able to provide further insight?

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Re: Shumpert
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »
His Scout profile says that he has "High Interest" in MU, UNC, and GT.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:21:03 AM »
That is really good news. I would say right now that it is either us or GT, this is only because UNC just jumped into the picture while the other two have been there for a long time, he seems to value commitment to him plus I hear his parents want him close to home. Although it may be hard to pass up the opprotunity to play at UNC. Hopefully his parents strongly sway his decision

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »
While UNC would seem a likely school to keep in the mix be aware that I am not sure they are one of the two ACC schools as I do not have scout premium access and couldn't read the article.  Also Clemson and GT along with MU out of those two conferences seem to have been on him the longest.

**Keeping my fingers crossed!

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »
If you go to his Scout profile page it says he has "High Interest" in MU, UNC and GT... all other schools say "No Interest" so you don't even need to read the article to learn who the two ACC and one BE schools are.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
I know its early, but the 2008 class looks like it could rival MU's 2005 class, We are ind desperate need of a big guy though, hopefully Crittle, Thomas, or Sutton will sign.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:12:20 PM »
So I have this straight, one of the top 15 players in the country is down to

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

Damn, some of the posters on this site are right...our recruiting sure does suck.   ::)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

Damn, some of the posters on this site are right...our recruiting sure does suck.   ::)

While the player most certainly needs to do what is best for him, it will be unfortunate if he attends UNC after stating throughout his whole recruitment process that he is sticking to those schools that were there from the beginning and didn't just jump in when he blew up this past spring and summer (as UNC did).  2008 has the potential to be one hell of a class if Shumpert joins Williams.

Regardless, it's still very nice to see MU mentioned as a top choice by a top tier player.

tonyreeder

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
let's land the kid before we start gooing all over ourselves

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
well put

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »
I am sure it's not the first time Chicos has done that!!   :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »

Well Tony, that is always the potential downside.  We may never land this kid or others.  We're shooting for top players now and top players have us in their final 10, final 5, final 3 lists.  A helluva lot different then the old days.

It would definitely suck if we got none of them, but I'd rather be sitting where we are right now in the final 3 or final 5 with some of these other kids then not even on the radar.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
I am sure it's not the first time Chicos has done that!!   :D

I think you have me confused with one of our former coaches.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

I have 2 words for you.
Bobby
Frasor.

whether he's panned out or not is open to debate.
but this situation could sure rival that, when BF seemed ready to come to MU then UNC swaggered into the room late and said, we'll take that one!

not holding my breath.
but recruiting is all about finishing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 11:37:56 PM »

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

I have 2 words for you.
Bobby
Frasor.

but this situation could sure rival that, when BF seemed ready to come to MU then UNC swaggered into the room late and said, we'll take that one!

not holding my breath.

Yup, and Bobby is now on the bench not playing and we got Dominic James instead.  Perhaps Mr. Shumpert will also see that.   ;D

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:29:08 AM »
In the words of Alec Baldwin as Blake in Glengarry Glen Ross, "ABC- ALWAYS BE CLOSING!"
"YOU KNOW MY NAME?!?!?! F*** YOU, THATS MY NAME!"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
Closing is the key and there are no "moral victories".

BUT, I'm impressed that MU is recruiting against UNC and Georgia Tech rather than Wright State and Northern Michigan.

I used to see who MU was recruiting against and knew that the talent level wasn't great... but now obviously we are in a different class and recruiting against some top schools.

Just need to land a couple of these big timers now!

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »
This goes right in line what i have been saying about recruiting and the desparate need to replace the big 3 with equally talented players.  Now it would appear many beleive that Cubillan and Christopherson can and will replace them without a fall off...to that I say...you are nuts!!  Others have said "well we're recruiting Shumpert".  That is awesome...but recruitng and signing are two different things.  Hopefully no one is too giddy about recruiting with UNC and GT, becuase that is what we have to do to play at the same level after the 3 amigos a re gone.  That has been my point.... we need to sign top 50 recruits to replace our top 50 recruits or the top 6 BE finishes that we have enjoyed will go bye bye. 

As I said my hope is we sign Shumpert, Thomas, and Williams....that is a top 1/3 BE class.  And then like the other top 1/3 BE programs we will need to do it again next year.   

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »
Blurb in the Chicago Tribune today, said Shumpert dropped Illinois and it was down to the three that were mentioned above.  Shumpert also said with Illinois, that if he was staying in the Midwest, he was going to Marquette.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »
Blurb in the Chicago Tribune today, said Shumpert dropped Illinois and it was down to the three that were mentioned above.  Shumpert also said with Illinois, that if he was staying in the Midwest, he was going to Marquette.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/cs-070807recruit,0,7304631.story?coll=cs-highschool-headlines
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »
well from that at least we know if his parents get the last word and he's close to home he'll be at MU  :)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
Personally, I would be ecstatic with Williams, Shumpert and your choice of big man between Thomas, Sutton, Crittle, Garibay.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 01:10:56 PM »
“I don’t feel pressure going somewhere because of a certain thing. I feel like if it’s not going to be the best fit and I’m not going to be happy at the school then I’m not going to go there. I want something that will set me up academically. The school has to be a school that, after I’m done with my degree, will take me somewhere. I also look at my relationship with the head coach and whether it’s a place I can take my game to the next level.”

Marquette has a fantastic academic reputation, and Crean develops talent as well as anybody in the game. I really hope he chooses MU.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »
Meh.  GT and UNC are arguably better than MU academically, if not at least equal.

MU has demonstrated it will meet all the criteria he states in his quote, but UNC will meet those criteria as well.

Obviously, I hope that Shumpert picks MU, but I can't really fault him for choosing UNC or GT.  Overall, Shumpert seems to be taking a very solid approach to recruiting.  Good for him.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 03:07:05 PM »
Meh.  GT and UNC are arguably better than MU academically, if not at least equal.

MU has demonstrated it will meet all the criteria he states in his quote, but UNC will meet those criteria as well.

Obviously, I hope that Shumpert picks MU, but I can't really fault him for choosing UNC or GT.  Overall, Shumpert seems to be taking a very solid approach to recruiting.  Good for him.

You're right Sugar, no question. My point was MU meets the criteria. Excellent education, and I'm sure he's close with Crean and he can be assured he will maximize his potential playing for Coach Crean (and he has a track record to back that up). We have everything he needs, so hopefully we can get him. Regardless, he will get a great education and basketball career wherever he goes.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »

So the 2008-2009 line-up would something like:

Acker (assuming DJ goes pro)
McNeal
Matthews
Hayward
Mbakwe

Bench
Cooby Jr.
Williams
Shumpert
Christopherson
Hazel
Burke
Other (possible 08 big man)

That's a lot of talent. Still need to add a quality big, but if they get williams and shumpert... they are going to be pretty lethal.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
If we get Shumpert, I'd think he'd be starting at least by the end of the season as a frosh.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
assuming dj goes pro. also assuming mbakwe even makes it to campus.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »
assuming dj goes pro. also assuming mbakwe even makes it to campus.

All indications are that Mbakwe has completed the necessary requirements in full and is now just waiting on the NCAA to review. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »
If we get Shumpert, I'd think he'd be starting at least by the end of the season as a frosh.

You might be right, but who does he replace?

Acker? I mean, maybe... but I'm assuming Acker is going to be pretty solid for MU.

You know he won't start over McNeal, or Matthews.

OH, also... just throwing this out there (purely speculative)... If DJ goes pro, MU will have 4 schollies to give. Could one of them be used for Bryce Webster? From all reports I read he is about to leave the Gophers.

I'm not sure where he will end up this year, but would it be worth taking a shot on a big kid who appeared to have some tools? I'm not sure what went wrong with Bryce at the U, but obviously it didn't work out. Maybe if he sits out a year he could come into MU and develop in 2008.

Just a thought... I have no insider information... just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:46:19 PM by 2002mualum »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »

Acker? I mean, maybe... but I'm assuming Acker is going to be pretty solid for MU.

Don't rule out the possibility that Matthews or McNeal might have an outstanding Junior season this year and go early as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »

Don't rule out the possibility that Matthews or McNeal might have an outstanding Junior season this year and go early as well.

I agree with you... but I didn't want to type it because I don't want to jinx it. I actually think Matthews has some NBA potential given his size and skill-set... but he will have to improve his defense and 3pt. shooting. He's already pretty good in most areas, but to get drafted you have to be excellent in several areas.

McNeal is a freak with his energy and can dominate games, but I'm not sure if NBA teams think he has enough size to get drafted after his junior year.

Who knows though...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

I have 2 words for you.
Bobby
Frasor.

not holding my breath.

Yup, and Bobby is now on the bench not playing and we got Dominic James instead.  Perhaps Mr. Shumpert will also see that.   ;D

That is not true. Frasor lost his starting gig, but he absolutely plays.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Marquette

I have 2 words for you.
Bobby
Frasor.

not holding my breath.

That is not true. Frasor lost his starting gig, but he absolutely plays.

He averaged under 8 minutes a game since coming back from his injury, that's a pretty big drop off from being the starting PG

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 08:35:14 PM »
Fair enough.  He is playing, but sparingly.  10.1 minutes per game.  The year prior he was at 27.5 minutes per game.  His playing time has been dramatically cut.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:44 PM »

gimme a break, these are four-year collegians. 

I'm pretty sure there's not a market 6-2 shooting guards who can't shoot and are exceptionally turnover prone.  As for Wesley, lets see how much his handle and defensive lateral quickness improved in the off-season.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
thanks for stepping in NY, at times I think I have to be the voice of reason...

here's one....too...  "I actually think Matthews has some NBA potential given his size and skill-set..."

are you serious...6' 4/5"  is actually a pretty small 2 guard in the NBA,  guys that size that get in at the 2 can hanlde the rock and pass almost like a PG, can shoot the lights out or are simply explosive with the dribble.  Name one of those attributes that wesley posseses?  He is a very fine college player  but unless he shows the greatest year to year improvemnt I have ever seen he is a 4 year player.  Even after 4 years he is hardly a lock to get drafted, a russel carter type IMO.

Smae with Mcneal...while he is closer ....like NY says a cant shoot 2g that turns it over due to aloose handle and poor decision making needs to improve greatly. 
Potential is there for both but they are farther away than they are closer.

those type of comments are akin to the other side of the spectrum when people say Cubillan, Chrsitopherson and Acker will replace the 3 amigos with out a droppoff.  My goodness!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »

here's one....too...  "I actually think Matthews has some NBA potential given his size and skill-set..."

are you serious...6' 4/5"  is actually a pretty small 2 guard in the NBA,

I mostly agree.......though Wesley's body type and some of his skills remind me of a big PG like Aaron McKie.  If Wesley can improve his handle and lateral quickness, I think he's got a fair shot at the NBA.  He has a ton of work to do, but he's taken big leaps in his first two collegiate seasons......so what the heck.  Either way, he's a four year player - - just like McNeal.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 12:05:19 AM »

are you serious...6' 4/5"  is actually a pretty small 2 guard in the NBA,  guys that size that get in at the 2 can hanlde the rock and pass almost like a PG, can shoot the lights out or are simply explosive with the dribble.  Name one of those attributes that wesley posseses?  He is a very fine college player  but unless he shows the greatest year to year improvemnt I have ever seen he is a 4 year player.  Even after 4 years he is hardly a lock to get drafted, a russel carter type IMO.

Smae with Mcneal...while he is closer ....like NY says a cant shoot 2g that turns it over due to aloose handle and poor decision making needs to improve greatly. 
Potential is there for both but they are farther away than they are closer.

those type of comments are akin to the other side of the spectrum when people say Cubillan, Chrsitopherson and Acker will replace the 3 amigos with out a droppoff.  My goodness!

Well, like I said in my post, I like Wesley's size and skill set because I think it fits the NBA mold (6' 5" very good athlete).

I also said that he does a lot of things well, but needs to become excellent in several areas before he would be NBA ready. I don't think Wesley will be in the NBA after his junior year... but I wouldn't count him out for getting drafted after his senior year. Remember, the kid hasn't even played a min. as a junior yet... so it's tough to say that he definitely can't do it. I don't expect McNeal or Matthews to get drafted after this year, but I'm not counting it out.

Harrison, you seem like a bright guy (honest). But, can you explain to me why you see highly ranked high schoolers are sure fire bets to succeed in college (even though they haven't played a min. their senior year of highs school)... yet you can't see that McNeal and Matthews may improve enough over the next 2 seasons to have a shot at the NBA?

I mean, both claims are purely speculative at best, but you seem so sure on the high schoolers success, and so sure on McNeal and Matthews failure to make the NBA. Am I missing something?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:06:53 AM by 2002mualum »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »
Wouldn't be so sure about Mbakwe yet, he is not registered as a student and classes are less than 3 weeks away. If he doesn't get cleared soon there's a chance we won't see him until second semester.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 05:46:41 AM »

are you serious...6' 4/5"  is actually a pretty small 2 guard in the NBA,

I mostly agree.......though Wesley's body type and some of his skills remind me of a big PG like Aaron McKie.  If Wesley can improve his handle and lateral quickness, I think he's got a fair shot at the NBA.  He has a ton of work to do, but he's taken big leaps in his first two collegiate seasons......so what the heck.  Either way, he's a four year player - - just like McNeal.

You also gotta consider the fact that Wes missed a good portion of his freshman season so he's basically a year behind the other two in terms of experience so to overcome that He'll have to utilize that final year to improve to the point where he could be an NBA type player.  I completely agree about the lateral quickness and ball handling.  Since I'm in Atlanta I only get to see the ESPN games and of those games he seemed kind of slow on the defensive end and lost the handle on several occasions while basically trying to clear out of the lane.  Either way I'd like to see him improve to the point where he gets drafted cuz the more MU grads in the NBA the better!

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »
to mu2002alum....

Thanks for asking...My response was do to the comments that were made whereby someone said that if he has a good season we might lose Mcneal after 3 years.  You then chimed in saying that you agree but dont want to jinx anything and that you actually think Wesley could to do to his athleticism and "SKILL-SET".

Now maybe I confused who said what but first NY and then I completely disagree.  Myself most particularly with the ..."skill set".
IMO that is wesley's weakest aprt of his game...at this point Wesley is a great athlete(they all are at this level)  and he would be good in anything athletic.  However, he is not a gret basketball player his "skill-set" is actually quite poor.  Whether it was due to spending alot of time with other sports his "skill-set" is a little weak.  he does not pass, shoot or in particualr handle the ball anywhere near the level of an NBA 12th man at the 1 or 2.  Very loose dribble.  He needs to spend 1-2 hours a day with 1 or 2 basketballs doing the spiders, crab walk, kills, butterflies, shuffles, kills etc. to really develop that handle, as an observer he has not spent the tens of thousnads of hours doing that.  Therefore the talent is there but he needs to develop that skill set particualry as a ball handler to play at a higher level in college and then maybe maybe in the NBA.

Now in answer to your question on high school recruits it is really pretty simple.  First of all with AAu ball there are not too many hidden gems...at least not really at the High D1 level.  Sure there are always kids that blossom grow etc.  But that is not the issue.  teh issue is of the 1000's of kids playing u-17/Senior AAU the kids that get the top 50 ranking s are legit!!  They are athletic enough and skilled enough to be 4 year college starters.  If you are that good you are typically good enough to come in aplay right away...see Jerel and DJ, See Diener, See Wade and Mason.  These players have a higher upsideif they are willing to wrork as hard as a less athletic player with possibly a leasser skill set as well they will improve at an equal rate and continue to be better during that sophomore, junior, etc seasons.  The top 50 players are at a whole other level.  Look at Scottie Reynolds.  Those guys are difference makers.  I will even say if Wesley had a better skill set coming out of high school he would have been a mcd's AA his skill set is holding him back..the athleticism is there.   

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Matthews
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
if you look at him throughout hs and here at MU, it's pretty obvious he has the athleticism. Playing soccer in hs may have slowed down his growth as a ball handler, etc in basketball since soccer is a fall sport and bball is winter. He was in another sport the months leading up to bball season so I'm sure he didn't practice his dribbling and shot from August to October as he does the rest of the year which probably did slow down his development in these areas. I think what spartan is trying to say is that he's got the potential with all of these areas (dribbling, shot, lateral movement, etc) to grow and make it in the NBA.  He is probably the most complete player we have in that he does have all of the tool to make him great, albeit he doesn't excel at any one or two things the way McNeal does w/ his defensive ability or Fitz does with his shot. But he is athletic enough to get it done at this level. He still has 2 more seasons to go most likely and can do a lot of growing from now to then.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »
to mu2002alum....

Thanks for asking...My response was do to the comments that were made whereby someone said that if he has a good season we might lose Mcneal after 3 years.  You then chimed in saying that you agree but dont want to jinx anything and that you actually think Wesley could to do to his athleticism and "SKILL-SET".

Now maybe I confused who said what but first NY and then I completely disagree.  Myself most particularly with the ..."skill set".
IMO that is wesley's weakest aprt of his game...at this point Wesley is a great athlete(they all are at this level)  and he would be good in anything athletic.  However, he is not a gret basketball player his "skill-set" is actually quite poor.  Whether it was due to spending alot of time with other sports his "skill-set" is a little weak.  he does not pass, shoot or in particualr handle the ball anywhere near the level of an NBA 12th man at the 1 or 2.  Very loose dribble.  He needs to spend 1-2 hours a day with 1 or 2 basketballs doing the spiders, crab walk, kills, butterflies, shuffles, kills etc. to really develop that handle, as an observer he has not spent the tens of thousnads of hours doing that.  Therefore the talent is there but he needs to develop that skill set particualry as a ball handler to play at a higher level in college and then maybe maybe in the NBA.

Now in answer to your question on high school recruits it is really pretty simple.  First of all with AAu ball there are not too many hidden gems...at least not really at the High D1 level.  Sure there are always kids that blossom grow etc.  But that is not the issue.  teh issue is of the 1000's of kids playing u-17/Senior AAU the kids that get the top 50 ranking s are legit!!  They are athletic enough and skilled enough to be 4 year college starters.  If you are that good you are typically good enough to come in aplay right away...see Jerel and DJ, See Diener, See Wade and Mason.  These players have a higher upsideif they are willing to wrork as hard as a less athletic player with possibly a leasser skill set as well they will improve at an equal rate and continue to be better during that sophomore, junior, etc seasons.  The top 50 players are at a whole other level.  Look at Scottie Reynolds.  Those guys are difference makers.  I will even say if Wesley had a better skill set coming out of high school he would have been a mcd's AA his skill set is holding him back..the athleticism is there.   

Hmmm...

See, I guess I just see Wes differently. I like his athletic ability and I see him more as a jack of all trades but master of none at this point. He's not great at any of these things, but he can rebound, shoot the mid-range, shoot the 3, get active in the open floor (seen him go coast to coast several times), and he has the athletic ability to become a good defender. I don't think he is polished in any of those areas, but I think he has skills in each of those areas and thus the term "skill set". Maybe I wasn't clear before when I was referring to his skills.

As for his "loose handle" that everybody sees... I'm just not sure if it's as real as you claim. He was the the back-up PG to DJ his frosh. year before he got hurt (then it was Fitz). I mean, it wasn't his pure position, but he did a lot of ball handling in those sets. I'm not saying he doesn't need work, but I think his handle isn't as bad as some people think.

I guess my point is this:

We are all just speculating here, but I don't get how you speculate on a bunch of high schoolers (that you haven't seen play) being great players in D1 hoops. Yet, you can't possibly imagine 2 guys (who we see play a lot) improving greatly in the next 1-2 seasons and having a shot at the league.

I'm not saying it's likely they make it, I'm just saying its possible that they could make it.

They obviously have a lot of talent and have shown it at this level. They still need to improve to make it happen, but I'm not discounting that. DJ obviously wasn't ready this year, and he still was trying to make a run at it. Maybe Wes and Jerel will try the same thing. I don't really know.

You seem so sure about top 50 high school talent being successful in college, but you can't see that Wes and/or Jerel could improve enough over the next 1-2 seasons to have a shot at getting drafted?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
one thing w/ wesley is that he dribbles off his legs and feet at times. Not so much a loose dribble as just being clumsy w/ the ball.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
"one thing w/ wesley is that he dribbles off his legs and feet at times. Not so much a loose dribble as just being clumsy w/ the ball."

.......Oh.....Ok. ::).....

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »
muwarrior87 ...i total agree with you and that is basically what i said...what disagreed with was the comment..."wesley might be able to leave after this year due to his skill set" 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
2002mualum ... you are misunderstanding me....I totally beleive that McNeal will get drafted..just not after this year...in 2 years he will my guess 90% chance of getting drafted I only put 10% will not becuase he needs to fix the turnovers and improve the J, 10% chance he does not do that 90% chance he will and gets drafted....As a matter of fact I have compared him to Duhon numerosu times on this board and feel he could fill a role in the NBA like Duhon.  I simply objected to the 3 and out comments...he has too far to go in one year.

Same with Wesley as a matte of fact I comapred him to Russell Carter and I feel after 4 years could be alot like him NY used McKie...again a similar player...I think in two years he could get drafted.  but no way after this year he has even farther to go than Jerel.

I agree Wesley is good at many things ...they come natural to him he is a great athlete...but to take it to the next level he has to improve his skill set...Ie his fundamentals...the reason he tarvels alot...the reason he dribbles the ball away often when driving is he neds to tighten his handle thru hundreds of hours of skill work...he is behind if he wants to be an elite colleg player...he like Jerel also needs to become a much better shooter. 

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
Saw this in an ESPN chat.....

Anthony (Huntington Beach, CA): Where do you think Iman Shumpert will end up? He has trimmed his list down to UNC, Marquette, and Georgia Tech.

Bob Gibbons: That is purely speculative. UNC has been the most successful in the long term, but that was the school that offered him last. Marquette is the closest school. They had a player from his area, Wade, go to Marquette. But I would guess right now, maybe Georgia Tech.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 05:58:32 PM »
I heard that Shumpert's visit to MU went very well.  I heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who heard from a guy that MU is in very good standing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 06:40:10 PM »
Anyone ever wonder if Shumpert reads this thread?!? ;)
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
2002mualum ... you are misunderstanding me....I totally beleive that McNeal will get drafted..just not after this year...in 2 years he will my guess 90% chance of getting drafted I only put 10% will not becuase he needs to fix the turnovers and improve the J, 10% chance he does not do that 90% chance he will and gets drafted....As a matter of fact I have compared him to Duhon numerosu times on this board and feel he could fill a role in the NBA like Duhon.  I simply objected to the 3 and out comments...he has too far to go in one year.

Same with Wesley as a matte of fact I comapred him to Russell Carter and I feel after 4 years could be alot like him NY used McKie...again a similar player...I think in two years he could get drafted.  but no way after this year he has even farther to go than Jerel.

I agree Wesley is good at many things ...they come natural to him he is a great athlete...but to take it to the next level he has to improve his skill set...Ie his fundamentals...the reason he tarvels alot...the reason he dribbles the ball away often when driving is he neds to tighten his handle thru hundreds of hours of skill work...he is behind if he wants to be an elite colleg player...he like Jerel also needs to become a much better shooter. 

HAHA... I have to be honest, I think we are both saying the same thing, but obviously typing it differently.

Let me be more clear: I don't expect Wes or Jerel to be drafted after this year... but in response to another poster I said I was crossing my fingers that neither "blows up" to the point where he/they would think about entering like DJ did (stranger things have happened)

Again, I don't EXPECT them to leave early, but I'm not counting them out given that they both will be 3 year starters in the Big East by the end of this season.

They both have a ton of natural talent, and obviously have developed nicely in the past 2 seasons. I really don't see "major" flaws in either of their games... I just think they need to practice and play more and just get sharper in all aspects.

Both can handle the ball, both can rebound, both can score on the break, both are streaky shooters, both are good defenders (obviously McNeal excels in this category), Matthews is a very good/great free throw shooter, etc.. They both are pretty well rounded and both are good athletes who haven't reached their full potential yet. 

Are they good enough to get drafted? Well, I'm not sure, the NBA is really full of some freakish athletes, so sometimes its not necessarily about a guy's ability to play basketball, but his physical tools and how high his "ceiling" is.