[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 3568 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Butler
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:50:11 AM »
I was surprised to come here and see nothing on him at all.  Considering a few people were saying he was a waste of a scholarship and didn't have the phisical assets to compete in the big east after watching the scrimage at Midnight madness (  ::) ), he looked solid.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Butler
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
We were just waiting for you to start the topic? :)

I try not to expect too much (or too little) from new guys before the season, but Butler has been exceeding my expectations.  At least - so far.   Love the fact that he's willing to battle for both shots and rebounds. 

He'll have to face tougher competition in upcoming games, but he's been a GREAT sub off the bench so far.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »
I've watched him a few times and he seems to have only one direction when he gets the ball on the offensive end of the floor and that's towards the rim. He's aggressive in going after boards and once he has them he just goes straight up with it and has been drawing fouls like crazy, and he even hits his free throws. He's not going to be a replacement for anyone in the big 4, but I don't think we lose anything when he comes in to spell one of those guys.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
He's not going to be a replacement for anyone in the big 4, but I don't think we lose anything when he comes in to spell one of those guys.

I like to think of him more replacing Fitz's production from last year.  No, he's not going to be the long range threat that Fitz was (at least, we haven't seen it), but if (big if) he can be consistent, then it seems we're better off.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
It's great to see a player with such a nose for the ball.  He's in the paint, attacking the basket, and he does it with control.  Good to see him making so many physical plays.  I think he's going to be one of the better bench players MU has seen in recent years.  Great pickup by the Buzzsaw.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:37:43 AM »
He played athletic and attacked the hoop.   The last 6'6" guy we had coming off of the bench who could do that was.......ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.    Hmmm.    He is going to have to play out of position all year like Lazar has simply because he is 6'6".    If he plays and contributes every game like he did on Friday, we may get through this injury nightmare.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
I like to think of him more replacing Fitz's production from last year.  No, he's not going to be the long range threat that Fitz was (at least, we haven't seen it), but if (big if) he can be consistent, then it seems we're better off.

Agreed Rocky,
Nothing against Fitz, he had a solid career at MU, but if he wasn't hitting or taking the 3 he was a liability on defense.  I would get too frustrated at his lack of foot speed while he tried to guard...and then foul...some 6-7 guy.  While Butler finds himself out of position sometimes he's much more aggressive on the glass and more athletic than any of the guys we had coming off the bench in years past.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »
Oh my goodness, hopefully the Fitz comparisons will end reall quickly that is unfair and a slight against Butler.  has butler fouled out in less than ten miuntes on all dumb fouls? while playing zero defense?  and getting zero rebounds in the process?  Will Butler travel unguarded up 4 against louisville with 15 seconds left.  Will Butler hesitate on open look after open look even tho that is his role to be a shooter?  Hell no!!  That is part of the reason all the doom and gloomers are so pathetic.  yes we lost barro and Fitz  so what this team is deeper and more talented and more experienced than what we had last year.  Will we lose 8-9 games?  sure but that is still better than tommy naismith did in the last 5 years!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
Oh my goodness, hopefully the Fitz comparisons will end reall quickly that is unfair and a slight against Butler. 

Dude!  Nobody was comparing Butler to Fitz.  My comment was simply saying that if we replace Fitz last year with Butler this year we're coming out ahead (so far).

Their games are totally different, but the roll as bench players are similar. 

Man, sometimes your rants go off the deep end.  Somehow that simple fact got twisted into me being a doom and gloomer?  Read more carefully!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
umm yeah,
I was saying that Butler's contributions will be better than Fitz's contributions...how is that a slight to Butler?  I like his style of play and i think he'll play a vital role in MU's success this season as he is versatile, athletic, and aggressive.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
Oh my goodness, hopefully the Fitz comparisons will end reall quickly that is unfair and a slight against Butler.  has butler fouled out in less than ten miuntes on all dumb fouls? while playing zero defense?  and getting zero rebounds in the process?  Will Butler travel unguarded up 4 against louisville with 15 seconds left.  Will Butler hesitate on open look after open look even tho that is his role to be a shooter?  Hell no!!  That is part of the reason all the doom and gloomers are so pathetic.  yes we lost barro and Fitz  so what this team is deeper and more talented and more experienced than what we had last year.  Will we lose 8-9 games?  sure but that is still better than tommy naismith did in the last 5 years!!

Just to be clear:

Comparing Fitz with Butler* is unfair.

However, comparing Buzz to Crean is so profound that it needs 2 exclamations?

Makes perfect sense.

*Nobody is making this direct comparison, except for you.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »
Actually I will take the Butler talk to another level.  Heading into this year there was a lot more hype and expectations out of Fulce than there was out of Butler.  If in fact those reports are true, this team could be much improved over last year once Fulce is back and playing.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »
He was my choice to surprise in the summer and it remains so this day. Package deals can work.

Butler will win us a game or two by going off for 20-25.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
yes we lost barro and Fitz  so what this team is deeper and more talented and more experienced than what we had last year.  Will we lose 8-9 games?  sure but that is still better than tommy naismith did in the last 5 years!!

let me guess, If buzz wins that many games then you will give crean no credit for building the team that wins them, but if the team doesn't perform to your expectations then you will say it is crean's fault and you will blame him for being a horrible recruiter while giving buzz a pass.  

Hope you are corret though.  I also think that this team is better than last year once we are healthy and don't see a reason why we can't have a one loss reccord going into conference play.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »
He was my choice to surprise in the summer and it remains so this day. Package deals can work.

Butler will win us a game or two by going off for 20-25.

Yes, you have been his biggest fan, and so far you are correct that he has been he biggest surprise.  Hopefully Fulce, Hazel and Otule will all give him a run for his money.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »
I like Butler a lot, but I think Hazel has been the biggest surpise.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »
I like Butler a lot, but I think Hazel has been the biggest surpise.

...so far...

Also, on the TV broadcast of the Houston Baptist game (I watched the replay on TWC Sports last night), Dennis Krause kept raving about Butler, saying that he would become a "special player".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »
People said Butler was a waste of a scholarship?  Really?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »
People said Butler was a waste of a scholarship?  Really?

You must have missed this topic...check out the post by BigDaddy84

7) Butler seems to be over his head and unless he develops a lot he will be a waste, completely lost on offense and not great on D.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=10156.msg89595#msg89595

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »
I did.  Thanks for the link.