collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Has anyone taken one of those ancestry DNA kits?  (Read 8807 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

tower912

• All American
Re: Has anyone taken one of those ancestry DNA kits?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
Was your DNA at crime scenes 30 years ago?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
Was your DNA at crime scenes 30 years ago?

Topper's DNA has been at every Arby's murder in the last 30 years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
Topper's DNA has been at every Arby's murder in the last 30 years.

.. But reading the reports on this ancestry DNA hunt .. it's not just YOUR DNA that you need to worry about, it's all the yahoos in your family tree.   

Once your Uncle Leo sends in his spit, you're screwed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:02:27 PM »
I have done on Ancestry.com.
I was DNA matched up to second cousins who are definitely second cousins and one third cousin who is definitively a third cousin.
Region results roughly corresponded to how I thought it would.  7% or less was a surprise as it appears there were other world regions that had 1% or less or were listed as possible test error.  (A bunch of <.1% results.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
My parents did 23 and Me.

To quote my brother, "Spoiler Alert - we're white."

Except for finding out my dad is 4% Italian/Iberian Peninsula, we are German and Anglo Saxon all the way.

Oh, and my dad has something like 60% more Neanderthal DNA than the average person.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 05:46:57 PM »
Yes

First off, you have to spit into this vial first thing in the morning before you have anything to drink or eat.  Well, the best I could muster up was a bunch of foam and after the mrs and I got our results back, they didn’t have enough “foam” to tell me what I was and when I re-spit and sent it back, they lost my sample.  My wife on the other hand had just about every anglo, Asian, middle eastern, Eurasian, northern African and Italian DNA.  So I guess my kids are all of the above. 

I also think they market this to try to sell you all kinds of other goodies, books mugs, tee shirts...and get your email addresss and continue to bug da poop ridden dna outta ya
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »
My parents did 23 and Me.

To quote my brother, "Spoiler Alert - we're white."

Except for finding out my dad is 4% Italian/Iberian Peninsula, we are German and Anglo Saxon all the way.

Oh, and my dad has something like 60% more Neanderthal DNA than the average person.

Your dad and I must be related.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Both of my children are adopted, so yes, we did Ancestry DNA and it was fascinating.

My son, who is Ukrainian by birth, was shown to be 5 percent Native American. All we could figure is that he has a bit of the Mongol Horde in him, since the Mongols got as far east as modern day Belarus and they may well have carried some Inuit DNA from the one-time land bridge between Russia and Alaska.

The rest of him was eastern European/Slavic.

My daughter found she was about 20 percent Jewish, which from Belarus is no surprise. She has an Asian appearance to her but showed no material DNA link to Asia. I think she was about 2 percent Central Asian. The rest was Slavic/Western European.

Mine showed I was 60 percent one grandmother and 40 percent the other. No surprise there either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Yes

First off, you have to spit into this vial first thing in the morning before you have anything to drink or eat.  Well, the best I could muster up was a bunch of foam and after the mrs and I got our results back, they didn’t have enough “foam” to tell me what I was and when I re-spit and sent it back, they lost my sample.  My wife on the other hand had just about every anglo, Asian, middle eastern, Eurasian, northern African and Italian DNA.  So I guess my kids are all of the above. 

I also think they market this to try to sell you all kinds of other goodies, books mugs, tee shirts...and get your email addresss and continue to bug da poop ridden dna outta ya

Knot four sure yer allowed to say all dem ethic words heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »
Ancestry.com advertising a $59 special on TV right now.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 09:56:40 PM »
Watta ya due, spit on da TV, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
I did 23andme. Felt like I spat into the tube for noine hours (nh). They keep adding info and it was worth the $50 Black Friday deal. My DNA indicates that I’m an incredibly intelligent stud.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 11:06:13 PM »
I did 23andme. Felt like I spat into the tube for noine hours (nh). They keep adding info and it was worth the $50 Black Friday deal. My DNA indicates that I’m an incredibly intelligent stud.

(nh)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »

So....one of them Sheriff's stings actually worked, anal?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 04:30:36 AM »
I hear all these companies are owned by the government. 😱

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
I hear all these companies are owned by the government. 😱

I bet most people don't know that Ancestry and Ancestry.com are owned by the Mormon church.  No kidding.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »
I bet most people don't know that Ancestry and Ancestry.com are owned by the Mormon church.  No kidding.

And that the Mormon church has a great website to do a lot of your own research for free.  Tons of census records searchable online.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »
And that the Mormon church has a great website to do a lot of your own research for free.  Tons of census records searchable online.

Yep.  The Mormon church is seriously into genealogy.  I know a number of folks who traveled to Salt Lake City before the digital age to do research in the LDS's massive store of records.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
My mom's sister did it. It came back 97% irish and 3% Spain. I have since checked the box asking if Im Hispanic on all work documents.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:03:58 AM by BagpipingHurler »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
We brought this up at a work lunch (I am 100% European), but a very (inconspicuous) guy brought up that he found out he has three kids he didn't know about. 60ish guy. He said he was glad he did it (testing) and he now has connections with his kids. Luckily, he isn't married today and he has no other (known) kids.  Whoa!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
We brought this up at a work lunch (I am 100% European), but a very (inconspicuous) guy brought up that he found out he has three kids he didn't know about. 60ish guy. He said he was glad he did it (testing) and he now has connections with his kids. Luckily, he isn't married today and he has no other (known) kids.  Whoa!

I'm confused.  So this gentleman got his results back and in the report it says something like 'We have evidence that you are the father of 3 individuals that we had tested at an earlier date.'     Wow.  :o

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
I'm confused.  So this gentleman got his results back and in the report it says something like 'We have evidence that you are the father of 3 individuals that we had tested at an earlier date.'     Wow.  :o

Not really sure how the process went as I was too shocked to ask details...I believe his children posted theirs, looking for their father...and his match came up and he had the option to pursue. He said he was totally unaware...he was at the other end of a long table, but I think it was three different moms, but his kids saw they had a common father through the site. When he got tested, he must have paid extra for lineage/family tree and got a surprise.

As I said, if you knew him today, he would be the last person you would think...but it was Berkeley in the 60's and 70's for him and he was/is a musician. ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »

As I said, if you knew him today, he would be the last person you would think...but it was Berkeley in the 60's and 70's for him and he was/is a musician. ;)

In a related note, my long time doc brought up the Hep C question at my physical this year.  She said she had only one patient who tested positive but that she was offering it to all her patients that were from the 'free love 70s' era. I kinda blushed and said 'No thanks doc, I'm good'. 

Then we did the much easier final part of the exam and discussed the Cubs.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
The DNA testing can be a bit of a scam.

One reporter sent his dna to multiple services and they came back with something wildly different. 

23 and me says their confidence scale ranges from 50% to 90%.  That's a large range.

"Tests can be a crapshoot. For DNA tests, they use genetic markers, which are little variations in the DNA one or several groups may have, but others do not. The more markers there are, the more accurate the test will be."

Some companies may use 12, 37, or 67, while others claim to use more than 700,000 different markers. Any of those numbers can sound impressive with the right marketing spin behind them, but the simple fact of the matter is that nobody's method is perfect. "The best we can do is give a certain range based on those markers (or show who they are most similar to), and sometimes we'll move up a percentage point of an ethnic group if it doesn't add up to 100 percent."

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »

One reporter sent his dna to multiple services and they came back with something wildly different. 

23 and me says their confidence scale ranges from 50% to 90%.  That's a large range.

"Tests can be a crapshoot. For DNA tests, they use genetic markers, which are little variations in the DNA one or several groups may have, but others do not. The more markers there are, the more accurate the test will be."

Some companies may use 12, 37, or 67, while others claim to use more than 700,000 different markers. Any of those numbers can sound impressive with the right marketing spin behind them, but the simple fact of the matter is that nobody's method is perfect. "The best we can do is give a certain range based on those markers (or show who they are most similar to), and sometimes we'll move up a percentage point of an ethnic group if it doesn't add up to 100 percent."

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

I usually disagree with you, but on this we can find some common ground.  I never did one because I think the methods used are dubious.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
I know what my grandparents told me, that is good enough for me.   Discrimination against the Irish ended 70 years ago, better luck for us. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
I know what my grandparents told me, that is good enough for me.   Discrimination against the Irish in America ended 70 years ago, better luck for us.
Maigh Eo for Sam

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
So are we unhappy that they caught the Golden State Killer? Or are we just worried that they might nab one of our relatives eventually, too?

Either way, nice benefit to society. Incredible "detective work" in this specific case, don't see it becoming some hysteric trend in the very near future. They (public servants and private citizens) have been putting the puzzle pieces together on this guy for decades.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »
I was just listening to a podcast about this that outlined many of the flaws. First, the people that can afford this and are interested tend to be white, so most of the databases are cross checking to white DNA. That's why many people come up heavily Scandinavian. Also, China doesn't also their data out of the country, so they are one of a few nationalities that show up as "Mongolian" which is a catch all for a number of Asian countries.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »
Not really sure how the process went as I was too shocked to ask details...I believe his children posted theirs, looking for their father...and his match came up and he had the option to pursue. He said he was totally unaware...he was at the other end of a long table, but I think it was three different moms, but his kids saw they had a common father through the site. When he got tested, he must have paid extra for lineage/family tree and got a surprise.

Okay.  Got the chance to get the story from him this weekend after his show. Even wilder than I could imagine. Maybe would make a great sitcom.

Well, like we gave plasma when we were MU lads to get some extra drinking money, he was paid $20 to choke the chicken into a cup to be a sperm donor.  His three adult kids that tracked him down are from all over the country, and he has no idea how many kids he has. To top it off, he is now dating one of the moms (that he never knew until the kid tracked him down via DNA testing).

Holy Eff!

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
I’m still amazed this caught that serial killer.  Unbelievable.  How did that go down?  ....OK grandpa,  we need to talk.  We got back your ancestry.com results and there were a few surprises.
Turns out you are 30% Polish, 30% German and 40% serial rapist/serial killer
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »

68% Chicos
29% Hoopaloop
3% Banny McBannerson
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »

Affirmative. Genetic counselors I know just laugh at the claims these companies make.

And spoiler alert: When you go far enough back, we're all from Mesopotamia anyway.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
So we're all from Ohio?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
So we're all from Ohio?

OK, now that would be depressing...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
I'm a refugee from Mesopotamia myself, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
80% Shepherd, 15% malamute, 5% corgi.
I may have mixed up the tests.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
Affirmative. Genetic counselors I know just laugh at the claims these companies make.

And spoiler alert: When you go far enough back, we're all from Mesopotamia anyway.

Nope.  Africa.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
I realize I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I thought this was kind of an interesting story about "those ancestry DNA kits."

My father was adopted from an orphanage in Denver, Colorado on his first birthday in 1937. His parents weren't able to have children. He knew very little about his birth mother -- he had a name and that was it. He made the decision to never pursue things further because he wanted to respect her choice to give him up. He knew nothing whatsoever about his biological father.

He was raised in a small town in the northeast corner of Colorado about two hours from Denver.  In about 1964, my parents moved to Durango a small town in the southwest corner of Colorado about 7.5 hours away from where he grew up. Aside from a short stint in the Army during Vietnam, they lived in Durango until 1986. It's a small town where "everybody knows everybody."

Fast forward about 35 years.

Several of my nieces and nephews who had moved to California and Washington did DNA tests. Connections with a family in Durango keep popping up; we'll call them the "Smiths." A number of the Smiths had also done DNA tests and saw my nieces' and nephews' names popping up -- apparently at a close cousin level. One of the Smiths who happens to know my sister contacted her and asked if she knew these people who were popping up. My sister told her that it was her nieces and nephews -- my oldest brother's children. After a little more digging (and some more tests) the connections kept popping up.

Eventually, even though my father had not done one of the DNA tests, it became pretty clear that he was probably a Smith. It was suspected that he was the half-sibling of a family of five Smith children born between 1938 and 1950 in the Durango area, but none on that generation had done a DNA test. My father and a couple of those Smith children took DNA tests and I understand that it's very conclusive that they are my dad's half-siblings sharing the same father.

So, completely by chance, my father ended up in Durango living among his half-siblings nearly thirty years after he was adopted in Denver. I knew the Smiths well and unknowingly went to high school with four kids who were my first cousins -- one of whom was a pretty good friend for years and twin girls in my graduating class (thankfully, we never dated). Even before we knew any of this, I was friends with several on Facebook. While things such as this are always clearer in retrospect, we see now that there is an uncanny resemblance between one of the Smiths and my father. A week ago, my father had a two-hour zoom call with his three surviving half-siblings, the eldest of whom told him, "I've always wanted an older brother."

It's very cool and, in some respects, a little overwhelming. One interesting footnote in all of this is that someone in Smith family prepared a very detailed family history that is available on a webpage for the family ranch outside Durango.  It includes pictures, a five-generation family tree, timelines, and volumes of information -- much focusing on my dad's biological father. In the course of a couple weeks, we went from knowing virtually nothing about my father's history to having a very thorough family history of his biological father's side. We still know next to nothing about his birth mother. All that said, my father's parents who adopted him were absolutely fantastic parents and grandparents, and it feels strangely disloyal learning and being interested in all of this new information.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 10:11:16 AM »
Proceed with caution.

I know of at least one person who found a half-sibling they never knew about. I am pretty sure they wish they had never found out.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:27:54 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 10:28:26 AM »
Very cool story Still
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Proceed with caution.

I know of at least one person who found a half-sibling they never knew about. I am pretty sure they wish they had never found out.

This, my moms cousin in England found out his dad had a secret second family. Met the half sibling and a few days later he was contacted by the police who were working on a big investigation on this guy for being a pedophile. Sometimes too much family is a thing
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »
My dream is to find a half-brother who is an Arby's manager who has access to a vat of Arby's Sauce.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
My dream is to find a half-brother who is an Arby's manager who has access to a vat of Arby's Sauce.

For bathing purposes.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:28 AM »
Proceed with caution.

Fortunately, my dad is several years older than his half-siblings and was born a couple years before his biological father was married. That makes things less awkward. Perhaps still a bit scandalous for the mid-1930s, but less so than if he was a middle child.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 05:09:47 PM »
Proceed with caution.

No kidding.

I have a friend who found an entire family of half-brothers and sisters living in Michigan from one of his parents. He never knew they existed until he had an Ancestry DNA test in his early 50s. And then, Wow!

It worked out well and the families came together nicely. But it posed a whole lot more questions than answers long after both parents died.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
A guy I used to work with professionally choked the chicken for college drinking money via a weekly sperm bank deposit. He has been tracked down by at least a dozen kids he didn't know about until they were adults that he fathered, per these kits.

He has had positive relationships with almost all (it was his choice to meet them). Last I talked to him, he was dating one of the mothers. Would make a great movie.

Moral of the story: Don't donate your plasma for drinking money, kiddos.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:48:38 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2021, 07:39:35 PM »
A guy I used to work with professionally choked the chicken for college drinking money via a weekly sperm bank deposit. He has tracked down by at least a dozen kids he didn't know about until they were adults that he fathered, per these kits.

He has had positive relationships with almost all (it was his choice to meet them). Last I talked to him, she was dating one of the mothers. Would make a great movie.

Moral of the story: Don't donate your "plasma" for drinking money, kiddos.

FIFY

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
A guy I used to work with professionally choked the chicken for college drinking money via a weekly sperm bank deposit. He has been tracked down by at least a dozen kids he didn't know about until they were adults that he fathered, per these kits.

He has had positive relationships with almost all (it was his choice to meet them). Last I talked to him, he was dating one of the mothers. Would make a great movie.

Moral of the story: Don't donate your plasma for drinking money, kiddos.

Isn't this, that Vince Vaughn movie?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 01:18:31 PM »
Isn't this, that Vince Vaughn movie?

I don't know, but it was definitely an episode of ER.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »
I don't know, but it was definitely an episode of ER.

I had forgotten about that show. Those early seasons were wonderful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
I was thinking of doing CRI Genetics.
https://www.crigenetics.com/index-aug4-var

Has anyone used them?
If so, would you recommend them?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »
I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100% that b!tch

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2021, 07:36:29 PM »
Shoulda saved da money. Pretty much universally known, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »
I'm 66 years old and have led a happy, relatively uncomplicated life. And probably wish to keep it that way.

As fascinating as the science is on all of this, I think I'll opt for the "ignorance is bliss" approach. There are probably some things I'm just as well off not knowing, anyway.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2021, 12:25:13 AM »
I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100% that b!tch

I hate that I knew this reference
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2021, 05:09:22 AM »
I hate that I knew this reference
Yeah, me too. That horrible song is stuck in my head now.