[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Choke Job  (Read 5810 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Choke Job
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
Homer could dump on MU and not worry about losing the day job on 540.

However, if he wants to keep doing MU broadcasts, he has to walk the company line somewhat, even on his normal show. And I'm fine with that, as long as he's not all Kool-Aid

A good broadcaster can get the same point across without resorting to words like "choke job" or "dumped" and still have their job the next morning.

And to be fair, these are college age kids competing at (high) amateur level.  They do deserve some deference.  It is not fair to rip a 17 year old college kid (like Vander was two years ago) the same way you would rip an overpaid/underperforming veteran on the Bucks.

But, once they go to the next level and get millions of dollars, the assessments can and should be a little more blunt.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Homer could dump on MU and not worry about losing the day job on 540.

However, if he wants to keep doing MU broadcasts, he has to walk the company line somewhat, even on his normal show. And I'm fine with that, as long as he's not all Kool-Aid

The best would be for Homer to lose BOTH jobs, not just one. Because...no more Homer!!!

(winner winner chicken dinner)

Then again, we'd be left with the "EVERYTHING-IS-A-DECLARATIVE-STATEMENT-AND-I-REALLY-MEAN-IT!" Thunder if Homer's wake and nobody wants that, either.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
It is not fair to rip a 17 year old college kid (like Vander was two years ago) the same way you would rip an overpaid/underperforming veteran on the Bucks.

What about the well paid/underperforming members of the Kentucky basketball team?

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Jsglow, you must not watch/listen to many broadcasts, or you don't know how they work.

The broadcasters on the radio/local TV are hired by the school/team, not the station they are on. So, they work for MU. When Homer's on the radio, he works for MU. That's why you rarely hear the broadcasters openly dump on the teams. They say things like "they really struggled tonight", or "the other guys were just lights out" instead of saying "we sucked tonight and had no energy" and "our defense is the worst".

I know exactly how it works Niv.  I'm simply saying that a responsible institution doesn't unnecessarily force the Kool-Aid.  I'd argue that Homer isn't forced into an unreasonable position in my experience.  A better example is Bob Uecker who knows that it's time to tell stories when the Brewers are down by 7 runs.  Sometimes those are the best broadcasts.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I know exactly how it works Niv.  I'm simply saying that a responsible institution doesn't unnecessarily force the Kool-Aid.  I'd argue that Homer isn't forced into an unreasonable position in my experience.  A better example is Bob Uecker who knows that it's time to tell stories when the Brewers are down by 7 runs.  Sometimes those are the best broadcasts.

Uecker has obviously told a lot of stories over the years...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
Side note ... here are the schools in the Big Sky:

Montana   15-1   19-5
Weber State   14-2   19-5
North Dakota   9-8   12-14
Southern Utah   8-8   10-15
Sacramento State   7-9   12-12
Montana State   7-9   10-14
Northern Arizona   7-9   10-16
Northern Colorado   7-10   9-16
Eastern Washington   6-10   8-18
Portland State   5-11   7-16
Idaho State

If this conference can go from North Dakota to Portland, To Sacramento to North Arizona ... and in the middle of conference play UND goes to Omaha ... why can't the C7 include Gonzaga?

One time zone difference, not three time zone difference.  The miles also pale in comparison.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
And then TC almost coached us to a first-round loss against Holy Cross. If Diener hadn't played out of his mind, we'd have taken the dump of all dumps!

LOL, this again.  "He almost coached us to a first round loss"....but then he wasn't responsible for coaching us to a win over #1 Kentucky, #6 Pitt, etc....its hysterical reading some of this stuff.  Did Buzz "coach us to a first round collapse against Washington?"

You guys put so much nonsense into this.  At times, guess what, best plans go south because kids aren't hitting their shots, or the other team is playing out of their minds.  It happens.  One thing as sure as death and taxes on this board is whenever a Crean team loses, it's because of Crean.  When they win, he has nothing to do with it.  When MU loses, it's just one of those days.  Hilarity...I wished I lived in that pink sky world.  LOL

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
LOL, this again.  "He almost coached us to a first round loss"....but then he wasn't responsible for coaching us to a win over #1 Kentucky, #6 Pitt, etc....its hysterical reading some of this stuff.  Did Buzz "coach us to a first round collapse against Washington?"

You guys put so much nonsense into this.  At times, guess what, best plans go south because kids aren't hitting their shots, or the other team is playing out of their minds.  It happens.  One thing as sure as death and taxes on this board is whenever a Crean team loses, it's because of Crean.  When they win, he has nothing to do with it.  When MU loses, it's just one of those days.  Hilarity...I wished I lived in that pink sky world.  LOL

I wrote that just for you, Chicos.

I actually think Crean did a good job when he was here and don't begrudge him now that he's gone. He helped resurrect the program, led us to a Final Four and left the program in far better shape than when he arrived.

It's all good. I was just havin' a little fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
Wow. If that story is true TC must ultimately not be happy at IU.  To be that thin skinned at a place like Indiana, with their expectations, must be brutal.

Lot of coaches are sensitive when trying to build their program. They maximize every slight, real or perceived, to fit the agenda and exploit that trope with their kids. Buzz does this every day with the "we're not real good at anything" routine even though his program is established.

Considering Crean has rebuilt two programs successfully his tactics (including the PR, sideline maniac, Lord's blessing, et al.) clearly work regardless of the thickness of his skin. You can see why he won't change.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
Agreed, but unlike baseball where you have 10-15 seconds of dead-air in between every pitch, it's impossible to do that in hoops.

Didn't mean to be crass in my reply. But, unlike AM1250, Homer can't get diarrhea of the mouth against MU whenever he wants and not face consequences. He can try to be "fair" and critical, but not overly and he rarely ever is.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
Isn't it ironic that the douche whom Chicos defends with the passion of Braveheart would have had him fired and permanently blackballed for the "choking dogs" piece?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
Lot of coaches are sensitive when trying to build their program. They maximize every slight, real or perceived, to fit the agenda and exploit that trope with their kids. Buzz does this every day with the "we're not real good at anything" routine even though his program is established.

Considering Crean has rebuilt two programs successfully his tactics (including the PR, sideline maniac, Lord's blessing, et al.) clearly work regardless of the thickness of his skin. You can see why he won't change.

Agreed.  The tactics do work.  I guess we will never know if this was a PR move, something that bothered him personally, or both.  If it is the latter two I am still amazed.  I have heard much, much worse comments about a team from college play-by-play guys.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

You are not seriously suggesting Crean used Homer's comment to motivate his team by threatening the man through the SID? That is too convoluted for belief. It was 100% Crean ego at play. His attacking Homer was Crean swinging his dick around. Boycotting Homer was throwing a petulant tantrum.

Death on call

feedback