Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8596734 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18650 on: June 30, 2019, 05:22:50 PM »
Take the best players you can get and figure it out from there...That's what you HAVE to do. I equate it to the NFL draft, you should NEVER draft on need...always take the best player available.

I've always looked at recruiting classes based on need and based on roster balance.  This isn't the NFL.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:46:50 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18651 on: June 30, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
Take the best players you can get and figure it out from there...That's what you HAVE to do. I equate it to the NFL draft, you should NEVER draft on need...always take the best player available.

Much different than NFL with a roster of 53 players plus 5 practice guys and going to camp with 80.  Plus you can make trades and bring in unsigned free agents.  College basketball doesn't afford that, nor should it ever.  Thus, you have to also take on need.  The roster is only 13 guys, need is massively in play here. Not sure why you would equate it to a sport that is so different, plus a professional one at that with different rules on obtaining players. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18652 on: June 30, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
There’s one rule that applies to recruiting:

Always Be Recruiting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18653 on: June 30, 2019, 06:32:16 PM »
Much different than NFL with a roster of 53 players plus 5 practice guys and going to camp with 80.  Plus you can make trades and bring in unsigned free agents.  College basketball doesn't afford that, nor should it ever.  Thus, you have to also take on need.  The roster is only 13 guys, need is massively in play here. Not sure why you would equate it to a sport that is so different, plus a professional one at that with different rules on obtaining players.

Grad transfers= Unsigned Free agents in effect. So, in all your infinite wisdom you Chicos would take (just as an example), a Big that's rated let's say 265(just for argument's sake), because you NEED one, over a Guard that's say ranked #30 because you don't really need one?? Brilliant use of a scholarship I'd say. Not.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18654 on: June 30, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
Grad transfers= Unsigned Free agents in effect. So, in all your infinite wisdom you Chicos would take (just as an example), a Big that's rated let's say 265(just for argument's sake), because you NEED one, over a Guard that's say ranked #30 because you don't really need one?? Brilliant use of a scholarship I'd say. Not.

Grad transfers in a sport with 350 schools, not 32 NFL teams.  Free agents can be brought in during the NFL season, you cannot do this in college basketball with Grad transfers.

Your example is also a bit preposterous.  In your example, if I could get the kid ranked that high and he was legitimately that good, then of course.  But let's play real world, shall we. 

Team say is loaded at guards but very small.  You have a shot at 80th ranked kid who is a guard or 120th ranked kid who is a power forward.  I'm taking the power forward because he fits a need, even though he isn't the better overall player, he is the better player at the position we need.

Understand? 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:40:59 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18655 on: June 30, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
Sand said he had me on ignore, so I am not sure how he quoted me.....strange.  He must be having truthiness problems again.

Said i had chicos on ignore, i am beginning to agree with the others  on ur reading comprehension abilities.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18656 on: June 30, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
Said i had chicos on ignore, i am beginning to agree with the others  on ur reading comprehension abilities.

And here you are directly quoting me, thus you don't have me on ignore since I am the same person and you are well aware of that.  LOL.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18657 on: June 30, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
And here you are directly quoting me, thus you don't have me on ignore since I am the same person and you are well aware of that.  LOL.

Clearly referring to a different screen name but u like to talk in circles so plz continue.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18658 on: June 30, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18659 on: June 30, 2019, 07:00:48 PM »
Clearly referring to a different screen name but u like to talk in circles so plz continue.

LOL.  So you have me on ignore from a few years ago, uhm ok.  That's cool.  I sure hope no new posts come up over there since that would be impossible.  And of course it is strange that you keep saying you have me on ignore, when I am the one posting under this username, not the one from years ago....but ok....I'm the one talking in circles.  LOL

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:02:38 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18660 on: June 30, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »
Kansas just offered RJ Davis...

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1145478376548966401

Damn Wojo keeps going after kids that elite schools want.  WOJO, what are you doing!!!! /sarc

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18661 on: June 30, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
Grad transfers in a sport with 350 schools, not 32 NFL teams.  Free agents can be brought in during the NFL season, you cannot do this in college basketball with Grad transfers.

Your example is also a bit preposterous.  In your example, if I could get the kid ranked that high and he was legitimately that good, then of course.  But let's play real world, shall we. 

Team say is loaded at guards but very small.  You have a shot at 80th ranked kid who is a guard or 120th ranked kid who is a power forward.  I'm taking the power forward because he fits a need, even though he isn't the better overall player, he is the better player at the position we need.

Understand?

I don't necessarily agree...You might have 4-5 Guards but IF that 80th ranked kid is better than some of your current Guards and would play ahead of them, where as the #120 ranked big is only a depth piece and wouldn't see many minutes...I take the 80th ranked kid. In this case, he is the better player.  I'm always taking more talent, no matter the situation. Then, it's up to me as a Coach to figure it out and make it all work.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:38:10 PM by muguru »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18662 on: June 30, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
Coach Cal taking a look at Niels Lane.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1145146711867830273
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18663 on: June 30, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #18664 on: June 30, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »
Coach Cal was in Philly. He was sitting next to Ice Cube at the Big 3.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18665 on: June 30, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »
LOL.  So you have me on ignore from a few years ago, uhm ok.  That's cool.  I sure hope no new posts come up over there since that would be impossible.  And of course it is strange that you keep saying you have me on ignore, when I am the one posting under this username, not the one from years ago....but ok....I'm the one talking in circles.  LOL

Do you seriously get your rocks off on this type of crap?  What sort of sad existence do you live?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18666 on: June 30, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
I don't necessarily agree...You might have 4-5 Guards but IF that 80th ranked kid is better than some of your current Guards and would play ahead of them, where as the #120 ranked big is only a depth piece and wouldn't see many minutes...I take the 80th ranked kid. In this case, he is the better player.  I'm always taking more talent, no matter the situation. Then, it's up to me as a Coach to figure it out and make it all work.

You changed your post quite a bit.  For a minute I thought we might have some agreement.  What you originally said I was closer to you in that the difference between 80th and 120th is hard to know which feeds into my overall argument that these ratings are often a bit weak, highly subjective and have plenty of holes.

I’ll disagree with your changed version because you cannot teach size or height, and in the specific example I gave the team was hurting in size.  I take the Big rather than another guard that I’m already loaded at.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18667 on: June 30, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »
Do you seriously get your rocks off on this type of crap?  What sort of sad existence do you live?

Nope.  I get my rocks off with accomplishments by family, friends, work accomplishments, charitable acts, etc.  How about you, do you get your rocks off obsessing about me?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18668 on: June 30, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
You changed your post quite a bit.  For a minute I thought we might have some agreement.  What you originally said I was closer to you in that the difference between 80th and 120th is hard to know which feeds into my overall argument that these ratings are often a bit weak, highly subjective and have plenty of holes.

I’ll disagree with your changed version because you cannot teach size or height, and in the specific example I gave the team was hurting in size.  I take the Big rather than another guard that I’m already loaded at.

Yes, I did change it. I had forgotten that part that I felt made my point better. Are you loaded at Guard in number or in talent?? If it's just numbers...that doesn't matter to me...that 80th ranked Guard who is better then some of the one's you already have(in my example), is going to make more of an impact then a Big that would hardly ever play(Like Matt Heldt). That big would only be there for depth purposes and on a "break glass in case of emergency" type situation. That 8ppth ranked guard will help the team more simply because he's better than some of the guys you already have, where as the big isn't because if he was he would see time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18669 on: June 30, 2019, 09:23:03 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58746.msg1133546#msg1133546
From Lenny's Tap "2. Sam Hauser played the point against Georgetown's man to man defense. Every point that plays against a man to man is by definition "pressured". Not pressed, not doubled, but pressured. "

#HauserPressured #PleaseStopLying #JustLikeIsaid

LOL. What's your point? I state facts (Sam manned the point vs a man to man defense) and draw a conclusion (by definition a man to man D pressures the ball). It's called an opinion. You have a different (IMO incorrect) opinion. And of course I never denied I said those things. #No Lies.

You, OTOH, blatantly lie about what you said and what I said. Worse yet, you double and triple down on your lies and show not one ounce of remorse - instead just make up more BS. WTF is the matter with you? In spite of myself I'm actually a little concerned.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:00:52 PM by Lennys Tap »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18670 on: June 30, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
My team played in a UA Grassroots Sizzle tourney this weekend (and went undefeated)... the executive director of the program liked the MU gear of a certain coach and definitely has an affection for MU... he actually played pro football for the Milwaukee Mustangs back when I was in college and knows the city and history of the bball program...

Said we have offered not only 2020 Jalen Suggs and 2021 Chet Holmgren, but also 2022 Prince Aligbe... all three Sizzle hoopers from Minnehaha Academy HS.

The program not only had good things to say about Marquette, but Wojo specifically.

I realize 'closing the deal' is important, and it should be, but always nice to hear thoughts on MU and Wojo from some of the programs with multiple high-major talents.

Fun time of year for recruiting.... as for our squad.. only one tourney left.. 3 weeks.. D1 Minnesota Summer Classic...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18671 on: June 30, 2019, 09:36:35 PM »
My team played in a UA Grassroots Sizzle tourney this weekend (and went undefeated)... the executive director of the program liked the MU gear of a certain coach and definitely has an affection for MU... he actually played pro football for the Milwaukee Mustangs back when I was in college and knows the city and history of the bball program...

Said we have offered not only 2020 Jalen Suggs and 2021 Chet Holmgren, but also 2022 Prince Aligbe... all three Sizzle hoopers from Minnehaha Academy HS.

The program not only had good things to say about Marquette, but Wojo specifically.

I realize 'closing the deal' is important, and it should be, but always nice to hear thoughts on MU and Wojo from some of the programs with multiple high-major talents.

Fun time of year for recruiting.... as for our squad.. only one tourney left.. 3 weeks.. D1 Minnesota Summer Classic...

Good to hear, JB - thanks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18672 on: June 30, 2019, 10:28:21 PM »
Yes, I did change it. I had forgotten that part that I felt made my point better. Are you loaded at Guard in number or in talent?? If it's just numbers...that doesn't matter to me...that 80th ranked Guard who is better then some of the one's you already have(in my example), is going to make more of an impact then a Big that would hardly ever play(Like Matt Heldt). That big would only be there for depth purposes and on a "break glass in case of emergency" type situation. That 8ppth ranked guard will help the team more simply because he's better than some of the guys you already have, where as the big isn't because if he was he would see time.

But if you have no size, he will play.  Matt Heldt did play quite a bit at MU when we didn't have size, so I'm not sure I follow.  When I say loaded, I mean quality and quantity. I don't see the need to add another guy where the inventory is high at a position even though these rankings by "experts" say he is better than the big when that big (in this case anyway) would actually play and be productive for you.  That's why need matters.  I don't disagree that you want quality players as often as you can, but you cannot ignore need either.  That means sometimes taking someone that might be not quite as good according to some random recruiting experts because that need outweighs everything else....in my opinion.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18673 on: June 30, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »

Balance and chemistry are too important in college basketball. Especially for a team like MU that isn’t a major player in the one and done market.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18674 on: July 01, 2019, 08:03:38 AM »
Nope.  I get my rocks off with accomplishments by family, friends, work accomplishments, charitable acts, etc.  How about you, do you get your rocks off obsessing about me?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

feedback