[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwight Buycks to MU!!  (Read 47963 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Dwight Buycks to MU!!
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
I'm with CS-walks. Gives us someone with experience and takes pressure (and insurance) off of David and Acker running the show in the B.East. Instead of two non-traditional-starters running the point, and one or two true freshman running the point, he's a good go-between. Not a veteran of the team, but a high-caliber player that can hopefully handle the rigors of the BEast.

it does read like schools cooled on him due to grades issues. Good luck.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
I have never seen this kid play... but all of the descriptions sound like McNeal.

Is that an accurate comparison?

Obviously he's probably not going to be as good as McNeal (an all-big east performer), but seems to be a in a similar mold. Not a great shooter, and not a pure passer... but can handle the ball and can distribute on offense. (McNeal does make a lot of turnovers, but he also has a lot of assists).

Also, Buycks seems like he has some good athletic ability and is a good rebounder (also a McNeal trait).

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »
So we have a Mcneal clone as our answer to our PG issue? IMO I hope we get someone else to run the point

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2008, 11:08:13 AM »
So we have a Mcneal clone as our answer to our PG issue? IMO I hope we get someone else to run the point

He's not the answer, no.  He is, however, a temporary solution.  I have a feeling we'll find our answer in a true freshman.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »
Buycks is more of a PG than McNeal.  There are similarities in that they are both high energy guys with big motors, and they both like to slash not shoot from outside.  But Buycks is a better ball handler.  And while he may not be a true pass first PG, he is a PG.  It's what he played at Bay View(even when teamed with Johnnie Lacy) and it's what he's been doing most of the time at Indian Hills.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
By all accounts he has a better handle than McNeal -- ran the point in HS and in JC. Would imagine he will also run it again during his second year at JC. So Buycks will come in as another option at PG, along with Acker, Cubes and probably a true freshman. Let's not jump to too many conclusions, especially since Buzz has two open schollies. I can live with a one guard rotation in 09-10 of the above.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
Buycks is more of a PG than McNeal.  There are similarities in that they are both high energy guys with big motors, and they both like to slash not shoot from outside.  But Buycks is a better ball handler.  And while he may not be a true pass first PG, he is a PG.  It's what he played at Bay View(even when teamed with Johnnie Lacy) and it's what he's been doing most of the time at Indian Hills.

Sounds decent.

Like I said, I've never seen the kid play.

Also, for full disclosure, I hate when McNeal gets careless with the ball, but he is a pretty decent distributor when you really think about it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:44:23 PM by 2002mualum »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »
Buycks is not a McNeal clone. He's a better ball handler than McNeal-----not as quick as McNeal nor does he have as good a pullup shot. 26% on treys in JUCO is like 15-20% in the BE.

What I hear is that he loves to control the ball and plays much better off the east-west dribble than off the catch and shoot or drive-----for better or for worse he sounds like a PG to me.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
Rondo comparisons come to mind.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »
26% on treys in JUCO is like 15-20% in the BE.

Can you please list a few examples of the 26% shooters in JUCO that only managed 15-20% in Big East play that you're basing this claim on.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
God forbid he may actually improve his shooting between his freshman and sophomore years....  but murf knows all...

mviale

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:53 PM »
if you remove his 3's. the guy is shooting 54% - he is probably the best player on his team and is put in a position to hoist the 3 alot.  Marquette will have more options.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »
Can you please list a few examples of the 26% shooters in JUCO that only managed 15-20% in Big East play that you're basing this claim on.

According to Murf's logic, a guy would have to shot about 60% on 3s in High School to shoot 30% in the NBA.  I wonder what Diener and Novak shot?

nola03

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »
Rondo comparisons come to mind.

Are you comparing Buycks to Rondo?

?-(

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
He is a good athlete and can handle the ball. Athletes win come NCAA time. Keep bringing 'em Buzz.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »

?-(

I think the comparison is very valid from what I've seen on video.  Are you saying its not valid?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mviale

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »

?-(

Yup - after watching a video of him play, they have similar games.  Could be a stretch

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »
If Bucycks had been playing against the bigger quicker bodies THIS YEAR in the BE, he certainly would have been defended better than in JUCO ball. So his 26% trey shooting percentage would certainly drop----common sense. I throw out 15% to 20% as an estimate. Now he may improve in the future (can't get much morse on treys)----but that's the way things stand right NOW.

Bucyks is more of a Rondo style than McNeal-------McNeal does his thing off a "catch the pass and perform" basis-------where as like Buychs, Rondo does a lot of his stuff off the east-west dribble as a result of controlling the ball.

MarkMiller

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »
Murf ... where have you seen Buycks play?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
What we do not know is the quality of three point shots he is taking. In the Big East he may not be shooting as many and taking only good open shots, so his percentage could go up. He also should get better technical coaching at MU, than he is now getting. If the coaching is not better at MU than Buzz did a bad job hiring assistants and MU did a bad job hiring Buzz. I would hope in recruiting you look at what you can do to improve a player. You cannot improve a players height. You can improve his body strength, fundamentals, etc. One factor to consider here is the player coachable and a hard worker. The fact that he is earning a good grade point in a different enviroment is an indication that he will work to improve. Also some players do improve significantly over time. I think it was John Cliff who was recruited for his shooting ability. He was absolutely horrible as a freshmen, but was a good shooter by time he was a senior.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »
If Bucycks had been playing against the bigger quicker bodies THIS YEAR in the BE, he certainly would have been defended better than in JUCO ball. So his 26% trey shooting percentage would certainly drop----common sense. I throw out 15% to 20% as an estimate.

I don't know if Buycks is the second coming of Butch Lee... but I'm certainly not going to discount his shooting 10% just because he's making the jump to the big east. That's stupid, and you know it.

I know what you are trying to say... but seriously, there is no way to know that his percentage will drop 6-10% off of the top of your head.

I mean, by that logic a guy would have to be shooting 50% in juco or even high school to make him a good college shooting prospect.

It doesn't work like that.

You can say that it does. But it doesn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
If Bucycks had been playing against the bigger quicker bodies THIS YEAR in the BE, he certainly would have been defended better than in JUCO ball. So his 26% trey shooting percentage would certainly drop----common sense. I throw out 15% to 20% as an estimate. Now he may improve in the future (can't get much morse on treys)----but that's the way things stand right NOW.

How far did Steve Novak's shooting percentage fall when he went from C-USA to the Big East.
Oh wait ... his shooting percentage, both inside and outside the arc, improved.
How's that possible?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
Because Steve has the purest stroke this side of Antarctica!  ;)

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
I think its very likely that the number of attempts would go down and the % made would go up assuming everything else remained the same. He will be surrounded by better talent and will not be asked to carry the load as much.

Lets also remember that the 3 point line is being moved back this year so 3 point attempts will probably be down overall as well as percentages made.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
How far did Steve Novak's shooting percentage fall when he went from C-USA to the Big East.
Oh wait ... his shooting percentage, both inside and outside the arc, improved.
How's that possible?

The jump from CUSA to the BE is nowhere near the adjustment that has to be made from JUCO to the BE----not even close.

There are at least several dozen HS seniors in the state of Wisconsin each year who are 40%+ trey shooters----yet noway are the VAST majority of them going to duplicate that in the BE-----Pakuni, I hope you get the point!

feedback