[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by PaintTouches
[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 4/6  (Read 107839 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 4/6
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:06 AM »
BTW, I found this statement from Young regarding his decision criteria.

“Fit, coaching and who has had the most professionals that have played my position,” Young said. "

Discuss.  (Do players coached at Duke count?)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if Markus could learn and grow this year in a support role and if he sets the world on fire,  well even better.

Markus' job will be to come in and make shots. Having Traci/Haani/Rowsey allows him to play off the ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
I think I agree with you guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
You mean where he played 18 minutes, scored two points (free throws) had no assists and two turnovers?

Decent game there but he fouled out and his team lost by 15.

Look I have nothing against trash talking, celebrating and that stuff.  But really it doesn't mean anything to be "Philly tough" if the ball isn't going in the hoop or you're turning it over.  In fact that crap will get exceedingly old if he doesn't improve.

That said, I think he will improve.  Then that other stuff will mean something then.

My favorite game was when he went 5/7 at home v. Butler and by and large played in control.  And when he didn't, Wojo pulled him and put Haanif in, and he was still a leader on the bench.  That is what I want to see more of.

I agree with all of this, Sultan, especially your last paragraph.

I like brashness. In the Superbar, I largely defended Cam Newton. Trash-talking can be fun and funny. Jordan and Bird were masters. Jordan and Bird also earned the right to talk trash through their play and, eventually, their titles.

When I say that Carter should get more playing time than Howard only if he earns it -- and vice versa -- I don't see how that is "whining" or tearing down Carter. I also said I expect both to be on the court at the same time occasionally.

I think Carter can be a very good player. He isn't that yet. Howard reputedly has the potential to be a very good player. We'll see. I don't know how those statements can be viewed as "negative." They are facts, no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
BTW, I found this statement from Young regarding his decision criteria.

“Fit, coaching and who has had the most professionals that have played my position,” Young said. "

Discuss.  (Do players coached at Duke count?)

I imagine that is what Wojo will be talking up. He was the bigs coach there. Got a lot of guys to the League. He just sent last years PF on Marquette to the League. I think those are the talking points.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »
I imagine that is what Wojo will be talking up. He was the bigs coach there. Got a lot of guys to the League. He just sent last years PF on Marquette to the League. I think those are the talking points.

I bet you're right.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
That whole "I coached Olympians like LeBron and Wade" thing might factor into the pitch, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
Do we dare bring up the fact that we have no transfers out of the program (yet)?  8-)

With 700+ nationwide, it is practically a miracle that we haven't had any yet. How many teams can say that at this point? Not a whole lot.

Edit: I guess the 700 was last year, but as of right now it's about 375. Still an average of more than one per school.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:41:11 PM by Warrior Code »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
That whole "I coached Olympians like LeBron and Wade" thing might factor into the pitch, too.

Yeah, but how many Canadian Olympians?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »

AND both lauded Wojo's contributions if I'm recalling correctly.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
Jeff BorzelloVerified account ‏@jeffborzello  4m4 minutes ago

Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski has heard from Oklahoma, Baylor, Marquette, Maryland. Will visit Texas this weekend, Arizona next weekend.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »

Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski has heard from Oklahoma, Baylor, Marquette, Maryland. Will visit Texas this weekend, Arizona next weekend.

Wojo trying to get some more -ski's together.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »

That is some steep competition for him.  He would be a great get.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Wojo can play the 'hard-to-spell-last-name' card. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

I wondered if Dylan was the transfer PF that Big Daddy was referring to. He along with the Martin twins from NC State and Goodluck Okonoboh from UNLV are the best PF transfers available right now. And the Martins are wings with size and Okonoboh is a C. So I guess I'm actually saying that Dylan is the best PF transfer available right now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
I wondered if Dylan was the transfer PF that Big Daddy was referring to. He along with the Martin twins from NC State and Goodluck Okonoboh from UNLV are the best PF transfers available right now. And the Martins are wings with size and Okonoboh is a C. So I guess I'm actually saying that Dylan is the best PF transfer available right now.

None of these guys are available to play next year though are they?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
I think BD specifically mentioned 'grad' and a not so veiled reference to Kalif. I can't envision a situation where the one available scholly is used for someone who can't dress immediately.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
I think BD specifically mentioned 'grad' and a not so veiled reference to Kalif. I can't envision a situation where the one available scholly is used for someone who can't dress immediately.

Me either - tho this dude from Tulane would be great to have in 2017/18.

Nope.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Me either - tho this dude from Tulane would be great to have in 2017/18.

Nope.

Think Wojo only goes down the 'sit out' path for a special guy. Like Jae Crowder special.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »

What'd a ya mean, Pops. Da internet reaches ta fookin' Uganda, ai na?

BD mentioned in a previous post that he was close to the Bispings in Peoria.  Brett Bisping is a 6-8, 238lb RS Junior PF at Siena who averaged 16 and 10 this year.  Sounds like he's staying put--too bad.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »

No. But the more I think about it, the less I think we will go after a grad transfer PF. I think Wojo is much more worried about the big situation in 17-18 than he is in 16-17. If he gets a grad transfer PF, than we will be in an even more desperate situation next summer. If he gets a Khalif Young, it helps this year and next year.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
No. But the more I think about it, the less I think we will go after a grad transfer PF. I think Wojo is much more worried about the big situation in 17-18 than he is in 16-17. If he gets a grad transfer PF, than we will be in an even more desperate situation next summer. If he gets a Khalif Young, it helps this year and next year.

Good point.

I think best would be if someone does happen to leave, we get Young and a transfer for 2017.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Setting aside the issue that we are down to one available scholarship unless someone leaves I don't see how a kid like K Young can set as a criteria immediate playing time.  I don't believe he is even a Top 100 kid.  I doubt he'd be ready to play more than 8-10 minutes in a high major program.  So if we could some how get Osetkowski he would only be here for one year.  That means Young probably gets the 8 minutes or so in the rotation with Fish, Heidt and Osetkowski next season and the season after that he is the starting 4 as a soph.  That's probably all the playing time he can handle.
I just don't see how we defend other BE teams with Haniff or Wally as the primary 4 and there is no way Young starts as a freshman.  He's just not that level of talent.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Good point.

I think best would be if someone does happen to leave, we get Young and a transfer for 2017.

Bingo.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »

That would be good. I'd also be happy with a grad transfer and a transfer 2017.
TAMU

feedback