[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Backyard deck  (Read 2395 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Backyard deck
« on: April 13, 2021, 02:33:55 PM »
Would like to have a deck built and was wondering if anyone has had a deck built recently and what your experiences have been with the new composites or wood. I am going to have a contractor do the job. I am leaning toward composite as I am looking at a low maintenance deck though I am intrigued with modified wood as it just turns a silver gray over time if left unstained or painted and is just as durable as composites from what I have read. Do composites actually hold up as advertised or is putting up with maintaining a wood deck the better option?

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Backyard deck
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:35:07 PM »
Would highly recommend a poured/painted/stamped concrete patio instead of wood or composite

Just my 2 cents

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
Would like to have a deck built and was wondering if anyone has had a deck built recently and what your experiences have been with the new composites or wood. I am going to have a contractor do the job. I am leaning toward composite as I am looking at a low maintenance deck though I am intrigued with modified wood as it just turns a silver gray over time if left unstained or painted and is just as durable as composites from what I have read. Do composites actually hold up as advertised or is putting up with maintaining a wood deck the better option?

Composites.  You may have to pressure wash it every couple of years, but yeah they hold up real well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:45:40 PM »
Lumber has exploded in cost the past few months and made mine cost an arm and a leg more than it should've. Go composite. My understanding is Trex is the best.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:57:38 PM »
Composites.  You may have to pressure wash it every couple of years, but yeah they hold up real well.

Actually not supposed to pressure wash, brush and hose is recommended.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:05:15 PM by rocky_warrior »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »
Composite.    Lasts longer.    The price of wood has gone up to the point that there is no savings sticking with wood. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
4th or 5th on composite.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »
Actually not supposed to pressure wash, brush and hose is recommended.

I live life on the edge my friend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »
I have a flat area in my backyard and the wife wanted a deck and I went with Trex.  Lowe's has pre-made pyramids with grooves for the support beams and I designed the size so I didn't even had to cut the Trex pieces.  I wash with a broom in the late springtime just to scrub the pollen off and everything still looks new.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »
Would highly recommend a poured/painted/stamped concrete patio instead of wood or composite

Just my 2 cents

If the deck is on the ground, the stamped concrete is really, really nice.

For a raised deck (as others have said), go composite because the price difference isn't so great anymore with lumber prices rising over 150%.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12:36 PM »
If the deck is on the ground, the stamped concrete is really, really nice.

For a raised deck (as others have said), go composite because the price difference isn't so great anymore with lumber prices rising over 150%.

The group that did ours made a few steps down from the back door to basically ground level for the patio. Plenty of adornment with rails, benches, lights, etc can be had as well.

Also, poured/stamped/colored concrete (IMO) looks way better. Much easier to care for. Should last forever

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 05:51:39 PM »
I have a flat area in my backyard and the wife wanted a deck and I went with Trex.  Lowe's has pre-made pyramids with grooves for the support beams and I designed the size so I didn't even had to cut the Trex pieces.  I wash with a broom in the late springtime just to scrub the pollen off and everything still looks new.

How old is your deck. I live in Jersey so the weather is pretty much the same. Does patio furniture scratch the Trex boards? I have been looking at Trex and Timbertech.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
Does patio furniture scratch the Trex boards? I have been looking at Trex and Timbertech.

I installed a trex deck at a lake house on the bayside of Door County four years ago.  It looks exactly the same as when the contractor put it in.  I’ve not done a thing to it, other than blow the leafs and twigs off of it.  No issues with patio furniture, dog nails (unlike the cedar deck that trex replaced) or the metal snow shovel used to clear the path for four winters. 

Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 08:53:51 PM »
How old is your deck. I live in Jersey so the weather is pretty much the same. Does patio furniture scratch the Trex boards? I have been looking at Trex and Timbertech.

For our 15th wedding anniversary gift my mom told us to get good patio furniture so we went to a local outdoor furniture store.  The owner recommend getting aluminum chairs and table because it will last almost forever and does not rust,  which rusted chair legs also tend to scratch up decks.  It's also much lighter.  9 years in our furniture still looks good.  So does the deck.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 10:51:44 PM »
The group that did ours made a few steps down from the back door to basically ground level for the patio. Plenty of adornment with rails, benches, lights, etc can be had as well.

Also, poured/stamped/colored concrete (IMO) looks way better. Much easier to care for. Should last forever

We did pretty much the same thing, only with brick pavers instead of stamped concrete. I was worried the pavers would get uneven over time, but it has been 10+ years and it is still as level as the day it was installed.

We started with a landing just outside the patio door, with enough room for a couple of chairs and a small table. Then down three steps to the patio.

But to the OP’s question…if I was choosing between composite and wood, I would definitely go with composite. We have outdoor furniture made of a material similar to trex, and it is bombproof.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »
I'll add this link as I started a similar thread last summer.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60564.msg1250765#msg1250765

FWIW, we went with Trex but the project is slated to start next month.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 08:22:25 PM »
We have Trex in our beach place on the coast and it looks brand new after 8 years of salt air.

Selected it for our South Sound digs and it looks great. Expect longevity and zero maintenance. 

It's the right choice for western Washington which is a lot of moisture. I mean, people who don't garage their vehicles have a green coat growing on the bodies.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
I mean, people who don't garage their vehicles have a green coat growing on the bodies.

That goes for most of the residents too, aina?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »
That goes for most of the residents too, aina?

Only on those born before 1990.

Death on call