Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wally's Roster Spot  (Read 3343 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Wally's Roster Spot
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
Unless I'm confused, Wally's roster spot is still open.  Correct?

If so, now that it is September and school is going to start, how is an empty chair better than Wally ... A guy that played 242 minutes last year?

Was it a mistake to cut him and replace him with nothing?

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Wally's Roster Spot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »
Dawson is transferring back.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
I didn't like how that went down, but no one can predict the future, not even Wojo. Wally didn't commit to the level the staff wanted. They also didn't know what decisions LG Gill, Dylan Osetkowski, Kalif Young, and other targets would make.

Time to move on, this horse was beaten to death months ago, flogging it one more time won't accomplish anything.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:29:20 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
It looks like leaving the 13th seat open on purpose and is part of a larger marketing plan.................From gomarquette.com

Aug. 30, 2016
Men's Basketball announces partnership with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee

Marquette basketball head coaches Steve Wojciechowski announced today a joint partnership with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee with three exciting initiatives. 

First, Marquette will name the 13th Men's Basketball Scholarship the "Wally Ellenson Big Brother Scholarship" and only fill that scholarship with eligible older brothers.  Coach Wojo said "I can't tell you how excited and proud Sam is to know he's in line to be the first recipient of this scholarship in a couple of years.  He knows that seat is not just going to be given to him, he needs to earn it."

Second, every Big Brother/Big Sister and his/her Little Brother/Sister will receive FREE TICKETS to any Men's Basketball game against a Sunbelt Conference opponent OR HALF PRICED TICKETS for one game against an opponent with an RPI greater than 250.  According to Marquette Athletic Director Bill Sholl "We've been looking for a way to get our casual fan base to follow our non conference opponents closer and see this as a great way to invite more scrutiny of the scheduling process"

Third, Big Brothers/Big Sisters will only pair athletic siblings who show high basketball IQ with Marquette alumni in the Milwaukee area.  According to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee web site "This is a great opportunity to have a pool of qualified mentors eager to help, of course extra scrutiny will be put to any alumni from either the Dental or Law schools"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
It only is a basketball mistake, if it costs us a win. 13 players are too many players when it comes to games as there are only 200 minutes to distribute. The minutes Wally would of got will now go to younger players, who can use playing time. 12 scholarship players plus a walk on are enough for practice. The unknown is what injuries we will have, so that is the one thing that could bite Wojo as far as practice and wins.
Basically, except for practice, a team does not need 13 players.
It may not be a basketball mistake, but it was a PR mistake.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
It looks like leaving the 13th seat open on purpose and is part of a larger marketing plan.................From gomarquette.com

Aug. 30, 2016
Men's Basketball announces partnership with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee

Marquette basketball head coaches Steve Wojciechowski announced today a joint partnership with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee with three exciting initiatives. 

First, Marquette will name the 13th Men's Basketball Scholarship the "Wally Ellenson Big Brother Scholarship" and only fill that scholarship with eligible older brothers.  Coach Wojo said "I can't tell you how excited and proud Sam is to know he's in line to be the first recipient of this scholarship in a couple of years.  He knows that seat is not just going to be given to him, he needs to earn it."

Second, every Big Brother/Big Sister and his/her Little Brother/Sister will receive FREE TICKETS to any Men's Basketball game against a Sunbelt Conference opponent OR HALF PRICED TICKETS for one game against an opponent with an RPI greater than 250.  According to Marquette Athletic Director Bill Sholl "We've been looking for a way to get our casual fan base to follow our non conference opponents closer and see this as a great way to invite more scrutiny of the scheduling process"

Third, Big Brothers/Big Sisters will only pair athletic siblings who show high basketball IQ with Marquette alumni in the Milwaukee area.  According to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee web site "This is a great opportunity to have a pool of qualified mentors eager to help, of course extra scrutiny will be put to any alumni from either the Dental or Law schools"
This is funny, I almost believed it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
Unless I'm confused, Wally's roster spot is still open.  Correct?

If so, now that it is September and school is going to start, how is an empty chair better than Wally ... A guy that played 242 minutes last year?

Was it a mistake to cut him and replace him with nothing?

Wally was so bad at basketball that just the mere possibility of a transfer, graduate transfer, late signing, or midseason transfer is more valuable than him being on the team.

Wally was going to be competing with Sacar Anim and Cam Marotta for benchwarmer minutes. He was not going to play this season. Losing him doesn't hurt us basketball wise in the slightest.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
Wally was so bad at basketball that just the mere possibility of a transfer, graduate transfer, late signing, or midseason transfer is more valuable than him being on the team.

Wally was going to be competing with Sacar Anim and Cam Marotta for benchwarmer minutes. He was not going to play this season. Losing him doesn't hurt us basketball wise in the slightest.
If we do not get a mid season transfer, it would not surprise me to see Cam Marotta get the second semester portion of the Wally Scholarship similar to what happened to Mache last year second semester. Although it would probably only be for this year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »
If we do not get a mid season transfer, it would not surprise me to see Cam Marotta get the second semester portion of the Wally Scholarship similar to what happened to Mache last year second semester. Although it would probably only be for this year.

While I am all for acknowledging leadership on the team, I personally would prefer that an open scholly go to a walk-on whose commitment to Marquette has a significant financial impact on him and his family.  No offense to Marc's memory, but I doubt that Cam is maxing out on student loans to attend school.
Have some patience, FFS.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
Oh! GOOD!!! This subject again!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »

I agree with this.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
While I am all for acknowledging leadership on the team, I personally would prefer that an open scholly go to a walk-on whose commitment to Marquette has a significant financial impact on him and his family.  No offense to Marc's memory, but I doubt that Cam is maxing out on student loans to attend school.

Chick:

While I generally agree, I also think it is good for kids from wealthier families to get a taste of rewards for putting in good hard work for the team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
Id take Wally over an empty seat, but I get why it happened and don't question the motive.

Disappointed it's still empty, but is what it is. Hopefully an elite mid year transfer big presents itself.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
Oh! GOOD!!! This subject again!

I was thinking the same thing.  Only two people know the actual back story, Wally and Wojo.  Only one person, Wojo, knows why this went down the way it did. 

There is nothing to discuss.  Its done, I had hoped we had exhausted this topic months ago....then again.  It is the offseason.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
Chick:

While I generally agree, I also think it is good for kids from wealthier families to get a taste of rewards for putting in good hard work for the team.

Let's not forget that at this time, Marquette's athletic scholarship fund is not fully endowed.  That means some of the scholarships (including this one) are paid with funds that could otherwise be deployed elsewhere.

I am sure that even Marc Marotta himself would agree that spending money on a scholarship for his son, while it would make him proud, is not the best use of Marquette's resources.
Have some patience, FFS.