Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wow....we're huge underdogs  (Read 8649 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Wow....we're huge underdogs
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »
I'm still really ticked off that Wojo unleashed COVID-19 on the world. Thankfully, Shaka's the one who'll end the pandemic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Some interesting thoughts in this thread.

I’m not betting this game because I live in Illinois and don’t feel like using an offshore, but I’d go contrarian and bet the first half under 69.5. Total opened at 67.5 and climbed up. MU first half team total unders are 2-0 thus far, and I’d take my chances on this with the Illini hitting the road for the first time.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »

I’m not betting this game because I live in Illinois and don’t feel like using an offshore, but I’d go contrarian and bet the first half under 69.5. Total opened at 67.5 and climbed up. MU first half team total unders are 2-0 thus far, and I’d take my chances on this with the Illini hitting the road for the first time.

Good take.

The last 3 years in the NCAA tourney I made a real solid amount of coin betting the first half unders on all the first round games.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:07 PM »
I know people are looking at Illinois missing players and thinking the line might be wrong, but bear in mind that this depleted Illinois team was favored by 24.5 in their opener and won by 24, and favored by 20.5 in their second game and won by 39. Meanwhile, Marquette was favored by 20.5 and won by 11 in the opener and favored by 13 and won by 5 in their second. So far, they have met or outdone expectations while we have fallen significantly short, despite the record.

Maybe it would've been closer to -6 if we had played better or they had played worse, but so far one roster has exceeded expectations based on the spread and one has failed to meet expectations, and the spread reflects that based on the personnel that will be playing tonight.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »
Yeah butt, Woj's teems wur tired, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »
Seems right to me.

We struggled against SIUE and UNH.

Illinois is a top 10 team with most of the lineup back healthy.

I'd consider an 8 point loss a step in the right direction for the season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Seems right to me.

We struggled against SIUE and UNH.

Illinois is a top 10 team with most of the lineup back healthy.

I'd consider an 8 point loss a step in the right direction for the season.

If we lose by 8 , play well, and they're just too good that's a positive.  If we play poorly and lose by 8 that's a different story.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2021, 04:26:04 PM »
If we lose by 8 , play well, and they're just too good that's a positive.  If we play poorly and lose by 8 that's a different story.

If we play poorly and lose by 8, that's also a huge positive.  It means we can beat top teams if we don't play poorly.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
If we play poorly and lose by 8, that's also a huge positive.  It means we can beat top teams if we don't play poorly.

We don't know how good Illinois is but your point is well taken

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »
We don't know how good Illinois is but your point is well taken

We know that at worst they are a top 25 quality team and at best they are probably top 5. Either way, far better than MU at this point.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »

The "disrespected" stuff is kind of a tired motivational tool.  Just play hard, limit mistakes and try not to do too much.  This is an awesome opportunity - top 10 opponent at home on national television.

The Illini coach is probably using the same 'disrespected' line that they are only 8.5 faves.

I'm hoping for a good game, but it will be hard to be stay within 15.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »
Bet $5 on the money line for MU. Cheaper than a beer at Fserv.  Upsets do happen and the first road game is always hard to win.

Now that is a reasonable bet.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2021, 05:56:24 PM »

If we play poorly, there is a 0% chance we only lose by 8.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
If we play poorly, there is a 0% chance we only lose by 8.

Probably true.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »

Hopefully one of you boys or girls made some $$$ off this advice.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2021, 08:19:28 PM »
Bet $5 on the money line for MU. Cheaper than a beer at Fserv.  Upsets do happen and the first road game is always hard to win.
Did anyone listen to me? :)

fjm

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Did anyone listen to me? :)

Ha!
Man I was way wrong about this game. I’ll eat crow.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2021, 09:40:29 PM »
Easy cover for the good guys. Value bet is MU ML. I wish you played at my poker table.
BUMP

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2021, 10:15:19 PM »

Buzz Williams won because his teams played hard, recruited to a type of player and he was devoted to advanced metrics (eg, "paint touches") that best showed how to win in modern college basketball.  Sure he was a motivator, and emotion was no doubt part of that, but I think you are way discounting the objective reasons why Buzz won and Wojo didn't.  In fact, I would suggest that Wojo coached more on emotional than he did on tactics, and that was a big reason why his teams faltered down the stretch.

And the home court thing is a little nonsense.  Buzz won at home consistently when his teams were good.  But even then, and most definitely early at at MU, he lost more than his fair share of clunkers in the BC.  Remember his likely best team?  The one with Jae who got to the S16?  They lost by almost 20 at home to a decent, but not great, Vanderbilt team.

This^ reminds me A LOT of what we witnessed tonight. At the 9:56 mark, an inexperienced team (that had only played 2 games together) was down by 12 points. I totally expected them to roll over and for ILL lead to grow. Instead the exact opposite happened. They played hard and refused to go down without a fight. THIS is the Marquette culture that was missing in recent years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:17 PM »
They played hard and refused to go down without a fight. THIS is the Marquette culture that was missing in recent years.

On Jan. 24, 2017, Marquette fell 17 points down to No. 1 Villanova. Came back and won the game.

I'd 100% rather have Shaka coaching us than Wojo, and I loved the fight the guys showed tonight, loved beating Illinois. But let's not pretend that MU teams prior to this were a bunch of quitters, because it's simply not true. It's also not a narrative that's necessary to enjoy this very enjoyable victory.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2021, 10:55:09 PM »
On Jan. 24, 2017, Marquette fell 17 points down to No. 1 Villanova. Came back and won the game.

I'd 100% rather have Shaka coaching us than Wojo, and I loved the fight the guys showed tonight, loved beating Illinois. But let's not pretend that MU teams prior to this were a bunch of quitters, because it's simply not true. It's also not a narrative that's necessary to enjoy this very enjoyable victory.
Hahahahahahahahahaha

1SE

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2021, 12:51:01 AM »

Wojo had some really great wins - he just couldn't build on them within or across seasons. We'll see what Shaka can do.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2021, 06:01:38 AM »
Wojo had some really great wins - he just couldn't build on them within or across seasons. We'll see what Shaka can do.
This is true great wins followed losing streaks. But some wins that were not expected.
Goal is National Championship

feedback