Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It could be worse at least you aren’t a Badger fan!  (Read 9941 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: It could be worse at least you aren%u2019t a Badger fan!
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:42 PM »
Donegal is probably the most beautiful place I've visited in Ireland.  I was in a wedding in Mayo (Swinford) 11 years ago for an old UC-Galway classmate I'd befriended (if I could up and move to Galway I would in a second). My friend there referred to Mayo as "the county the Celtic Tiger jumped over."

There are a lot of beautiful spots across Ireland.  I'm totally biased but Donegal is truly special.  I think part of it is it's much less touristy, or at least used to be.  Anyhow if you're lucky enough to take multiple trips or several weeks in Ireland I would highly recommend enjoying the tranquility and natural beauty of the area.  It's one of the few places where I been that I felt completely relaxed.  Phenomenal people there as well.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: It could be worse at least you aren’t a Badger fan!
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2021, 12:04:45 AM »
As far as moving to Mayo or Donegal I've thought about it quite a bit as a retirement option in the distant future.  I'm fortunate to have dual citizenship.  My other favorite country in Europe is Iceland.   Sadly it's become very popular in recent years.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2021, 12:34:50 AM »
Ok, you Ireland boys, was going to Ireland to play golf for a week, unfortunately COVID ruin that, if you wanted to play 5 rounds in 7 or 8 days, would you go North or
South and which courses are the must courses to play?  And maybe the cities to stay in?  Thanks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2021, 01:17:22 AM »
Ok, you Ireland boys, was going to Ireland to play golf for a week, unfortunately COVID ruin that, if you wanted to play 5 rounds in 7 or 8 days, would you go North or
South and which courses are the must courses to play?  And maybe the cities to stay in?  Thanks.

I've only golfed in Ireland once and that was in Donegal and Northern Ireland.  There are outstanding courses up there and I was lucky to get on Royal Portrush.  Ballybofey, Dunfanaghy, and Portsalon are awesome courses as well.  If you choose this area to golf I would either stay in Ardara, Ramelton, or Letterkenny.  The golf is quite expensive for visitors.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 01:22:59 AM by MuggsyB »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »

My favorite course that I’ve ever played is just over the border in Northern Ireland - Royal County Down. Lots of great courses in the south - Old Head, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville and others. We played 9 founds in 10 days the last time I was there (I was much younger) and it was special.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2021, 08:38:28 AM »
Dook’s Golf Club on the Dingle Peninsula. Be warned, though - it’s a very difficult course and caddies are mandatory. Every once in awhile when the wind picks up, it blows ocean water over the course like it’s pouring raining. The caddies hide behind a bush for 30 seconds and then come back out like nothing happened.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
My favorite course that I’ve ever played is just over the border in Northern Ireland - Royal County Down. Lots of great courses in the south - Old Head, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville and others. We played 9 founds in 10 days the last time I was there (I was much younger) and it was special.

I couldn't get on Royal County Down but you're not alone Lenny.  I think most woukd say it's the best course on the entire island.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »
Thanks to all the Irish folks (and Irish-adjacent ones) for making this thread matter.

Would love to go there one day, play some golf, hoist a few beers, see the sights. Jealous of those who have or are planning to do so soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »
Our initial set up was go south, play the courses mentioned as Old Head is suppose to be amazing, might have to get Royal County Down on that trip, it probably will not for another year or so. Decided to go to Maui this year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:24 AM »
While we’re at it, tentatively planning on taking in the Open next year at St. Andrews.  Any recs on that island
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
Our initial set up was go south, play the courses mentioned as Old Head is suppose to be amazing, might have to get Royal County Down on that trip, it probably will not for another year or so. Decided to go to Maui this year.

Can't go wrong with Maui! What part of the island do you usually stay when there? Do you play golf there?

The golf is so expensive, and I've heard the resort courses are so crowded, that we haven't played there. Like many, we love the Wailea/Kihei part of the island, though our last time we stayed about a mile south of Lahaina in an airbnb condo and practically had a little private beach to ourselves. Stayed in the Kaanapali area once and that was nice, too, but definitely more touristy.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
Can't go wrong with Maui! What part of the island do you usually stay when there? Do you play golf there?

The golf is so expensive, and I've heard the resort courses are so crowded, that we haven't played there. Like many, we love the Wailea/Kihei part of the island, though our last time we stayed about a mile south of Lahaina in an airbnb condo and practically had a little private beach to ourselves. Stayed in the Kaanapali area once and that was nice, too, but definitely more touristy.
Many years ago I played Silver Sword Golf Course in the Wailea /Kihei part of the Island. I think it has been rename to Elleair Maui Golf Club. Was a very well maintained and designed course.

The prices back in the day (1991)were reasonable. Don't know what they are today , but I am sure they have some afternoon pricing.

After the round the Missus and I found a great Diner nearby and she had an incredible coconut cream pie and I enjoyed some outstanding Maui Onion Soup.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »

Have a friend who works in the travel industry, his main connections are in Wailea, staying in Kanapaali area, so will play the plantation course, but will drive to Wailea to play one on the 3 courses down there.  Staying in a 2 bedroom condo, great price on the ocean, going in October with my family so it is not as crowded then. Price for the same condo in December is Triple. When you go to Maui expect to spend money like it is water. Have not been there in 40 years, have to live life, mine is almost over!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »
For those of you that love to golf and are looking for a trip that will not break the bank I would highly recommend Nova Scotia and the Cape Breton area.
Accomadations are extremely reasonable on vrbo/airb&b and there are 4 excellent courses (Cabot) near Inverness as well as several near Ingonish.  It's arguably the most beautiful place on earth in the fall and they have the largest Celtic music festival in October..  The seafood is also out of this world in spots there assuming you like mussels and snow crab.  The best spot to spot to stay is Cheticamp.

Have a friend who works in the travel industry, his main connections are in Wailea, staying in Kanapaali area, so will play the plantation course, but will drive to Wailea to play one on the 3 courses down there.  Staying in a 2 bedroom condo, great price on the ocean, going in October with my family so it is not as crowded then. Price for the same condo in December is Triple. When you go to Maui expect to spend money like it is water. Have not been there in 40 years, have to live life, mine is almost over!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:39:57 AM by MuggsyB »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »
Thanks, first have to get to Ireland once COVID is under control, never will be over though

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:55 AM »
Thanks, first have to get to Ireland once COVID is under control, never will be over though

Over isn't possible but hopefully by summer it will be easier to travel. I'm pumped about playing Spyglass in April!

:)

It helps if you can golf year round.  I shaved two strokes from my h-cap.

:)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
Another thread ruined because some people just can't stay on topic.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »

Fly to Dublin, head towards the north.

If you can get into the K Club do it. A Ryder Cup course.

Ballycastle is a beautiful course on the North Sea. Plus, you’re near Bushmills for a post course treat. Also in Ulster is Royal Portrush and Ballyliffin.

Portmarnock outside of Dublin is the most frequent Irish Open venue.

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »

Well, here's hoping that last line isn't true. Enjoy the trip - I know you will!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
Well, here's hoping that last line isn't true. Enjoy the trip - I know you will!

Never know, took that second COVID shot yesterday, could not fall asleep last night. As my left arm is sore from the shot. Tired all day. Hope I got at least 20 more.  Thanks! Also, like to see MU win a semi game in the Big East tourney!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2021, 05:58:28 PM »
Also, like to see MU win a semi game in the Big East tourney!

Way to shoot for the moon, the sun and the stars!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Way to shoot for the moon, the sun and the stars!

Got to be realistic