[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: History of #thething  (Read 16201 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: History of #thething
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
Its bullcrap ball, its like you have no other way to score so you take the free throws

Don't bite and it doesn't work.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
Drawing the foul and going to the line where you shoot >90% is a very good move.   Also, with a shallow team, it gives the team time to catch their breath.     So, draw the foul, make the free throws, allow your teammates to catch their breath and set up their defense.    Really no downside.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
All you people who think it's crap basketball need to get over yourselves. Not all of us can be supremely gifted physical specimens that can take it to the hoop and dunk like Ners.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Its bullcrap ball, its like you have no other way to score so you take the free throws
Is it bull crap ball when Matty Heldt gets knocked completely on his ass by a 5’11” 175 lb PG taking a charge?
Is it bullcrAp ball when Sam gets a fingertip on a ball going out of bounds only to point in Mu’s direction in hopes of influencing the refs decision?
Is it bullcrAp ball when Haani throws his arms up coming off of a screen like he’s been robbed?
It’s basketball.
As someone said above, stop fouling Rowsey and he won’t do it anymore. Until then, give me 9 out of 10 FTs every single game.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
Is it bull crap ball when Matty Heldt gets knocked completely on his ass by a 5’11” 175 lb PG taking a charge?
Is it bullcrAp ball when Sam gets a fingertip on a ball going out of bounds only to point in Mu’s direction in hopes of influencing the refs decision?
Is it bullcrAp ball when Haani throws his arms up coming off of a screen like he’s been robbed?
It’s basketball.
As someone said above, stop fouling Rowsey and he won’t do it anymore. Until then, give me 9 out of 10 FTs every single game.

Or 16 for 16!   ;D

Seriously, in end of game situations where the opponent must foul to kill the clock, we've got 3 guys on the floor that simply won't miss at the line.  That'll alone win us a game or three this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »

It’s a bull crap call when Rowsey jumps into a vertical defender. But that’s on the ref.

Otherwise it is perfectly fine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
It’s a bull crap call when Rowsey jumps into a vertical defender. But that’s on the ref.

Otherwise it is perfectly fine.

Andrew also uses a very effective head fake.  I think he goes up more vertically than others who kick out, and that is why he sells it and is able to get a shot off. Waters got this call but I thought is should have been offensive as he jumped into the defender with his shoulder.

I think the NBA does a better job with this call as they essentially don’t give the shooter who kicks out the benefit.  That said, Andrew is pretty scoutable but still is able to get that call.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Put me in the camp of those who are a big fan of “the thing”.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
AR has perfected "thething" to an art form and refs are there to call it as they see it. I am fine with that. It is AR's moment in the sun. We should all be so fortunate.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
Or 16 for 16!   ;D

Seriously, in end of game situations where the opponent must foul to kill the clock, we've got 3 guys on the floor that simply won't miss at the line.  That'll alone win us a game or three this year.

If by "win" you mean "help maintain our lead in games"

#FTsNoMatta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
If by "win" you mean "help maintain our lead in games"

#FTsNoMatta

So I'm actually interested in the #ftnomatta concept.  Is there some advanced metric that demonstrates?  Or is FT percentage and volume just so much less important than, say, offensive rebounds that it overwhelms?  Educate me Mr. 'Yes, I must admit that the Vikings will win the division.' brother.   :)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
#FTratematta
#FT%nomatta*

*Although you want to shoot better than 0% to take advantage of FT rate

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
#FTratematta
#FT%nomatta*

*Although you want to shoot better than 0% to take advantage of FT rate

Saying it ain't substantiating it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
So I'm actually interested in the #ftnomatta concept.  Is there some advanced metric that demonstrates?  Or is FT percentage and volume just so much less important than, say, offensive rebounds that it overwhelms?  Educate me Mr. 'Yes, I must admit that the Vikings will win the division.' brother.   :)
Well, one does not need advanced metrics to know that FTs do matta when your team is on the line for 2 FTs with 1 second to go while being down 2 points.   ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Well, one does not need advanced metrics to know that FTs do matta when your team is on the line for 2 FTs with 1 second to go while being down 2 points.   ;)

They wouldn't have mattered if you would have shot better earlier...or grabbed another offensive rebound...or turned the ball over less.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
1. Great link from the OP. Thanks. The Randy Klotka twitterer desperately wanted it to be "that thing," but "the thing" won out, for whatever reason.

2. Rowsey has gotten the call even when he has leaped into a defender who isn't going forward. A couple times, the defender even seemed to be going backward when Rowsey leaped into him. Several times, he has drawn it from a defender going at him. If you're an MU fan, they're all good. If not, only the last looks like a foul.

FTs no matta! Ever! Even if the team doesn't get a single field goal, goes 100-for-100 from the line and the team wins 100-99, the FTs didn't matta! Learn basketball, everybody!! Free throws should be negative points they matta so little!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »
Saying it ain't substantiating it.

http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/articles/20040601_roboscout.htm

"Teams that get to the line more are more effective than teams that make a higher percentage of their free throws. Game-by-game exceptions can definitely exist - there are plenty of games that are lost by a team missing its foul shots - but over the long haul, just getting to the line frequently wins a lot more games than missing a few freebies will lose."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »
They wouldn't have mattered if you would have shot better earlier...or grabbed another offensive rebound...or turned the ball over less.
Sure, but in that case , it sure as heck matters.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
1. Great link from the OP. Thanks. The Randy Klotka twitterer desperately wanted it to be "that thing," but "the thing" won out, for whatever reason.

2. Rowsey has gotten the call even when he has leaped into a defender who isn't going forward. A couple times, the defender even seemed to be going backward when Rowsey leaped into him. Several times, he has drawn it from a defender going at him. If you're an MU fan, they're all good. If not, only the last looks like a foul.

FTs no matta! Ever! Even if the team doesn't get a single field goal, goes 100-for-100 from the line and the team wins 100-99, the FTs didn't matta! Learn basketball, everybody!! Free throws should be negative points they matta so little!!!

scratching my head??  so, ya just won the game, but it doesn't matter?  still scratching my head...is this some sort of twisted joke?  what am i missing here?  if free throws don't matter, why do they offer them on technical fouls? 

i think there are a few scenarios where they have to matter or else, why not just go to the line and rifle it off the backboard and rim and see what happens?  hell, just throw it out of bounds or hand it back to the opposing player  ?-(  what about intentional fouls? other team is losing and the whole deal is they want you to miss so they may get the ball back and score :o , either by getting to the line or hitting a shot-another duhhh ?-(  what some are saying here is free throws no matta because you should shoot 100% or get all your offensive rebounds on misses and put them back in, don't turn the ball over...at all.  i think some are minimizing them a little too much, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

So they don’t matter... except when they do?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »
  of course i'd rather have a 3 pointer instead ::)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
  of course i'd rather have a 3 pointer instead ::)

Until Rowsey's 3-point percentage gets above 90%, I'd rather have #thething.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Until Rowsey's 3-point percentage gets above 90%, I'd rather have #thething.

yes, but if he makes the 3, the free throw doesn't matta according to those who know the game ok, now i get it...you just want to keep the game close and not win by so much-yous guyses you

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »
FTsmatta

FT%nomatta
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »
The way I understand #FTNoMatter is this:

Say the average team attempts 20 free throws in an average game. (I don't have the exact stat, but I think this should be pretty close.)

Last year, the best free-throw shooting team in Division I college basketball averaged 80% at the stripe. That's 16 for 20. The average team hits about 69%, or 14 of 20. So in an average game, the difference between the absolute best performance and merely average adds up to just 2 points. Make one more three and it's irrelevant.

"No Matter" does exaggerate the case. Of course free throws matter. If you didn't make a single free throw, you'd have to make up those 14 points somewhere else. But statistically free throw percentage isn't a big determining factor in winning games.

(I'm no statistician. So if I don't have this right, someone please correct me.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:15:56 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback