[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Is Right,...  (Read 13753 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Buzz Is Right,...
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
this team isn't very good. Having observed them for 3/4 of the season, the lack of talent is obvious. And for that, he's responsible.

Yes, it's now clear that he just can't recruit like Tom Crean.   ;D
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
In other words, whenever the team plays poorly you guys chalk it up to the players "losing their heads."

Call it what you like. Those stretches of "playing poorly" usually come with a number of mental mistakes. That's my point.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
I totally disagree that this team " needs to grow a pair". Thought they competed right down to final buzzer all year. We do get predictable and lazy passing around a zone but given we can't shoot, I think we have overachieved this year.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
this team isn't very good. Having observed them for 3/4 of the season, the lack of talent is obvious. And for that, he's responsible.

Wow. Really? I'd take MU's current record as a positive. This team is admittedly not one of the most talented that Buzz has had...yet here they are at 8-3 when most of us on Dec. 1 figured would have 8 wins total in the B.East. They are ranked. They stand a great chance of making the NCAA.

What does that mean, "he's responsible"? Yes, they aren't the best team he's had, but my God, they're overachieving, wouldn't you say? Sure, they are frustrating to watch at times. But they have totally bought into the style of play Buzz has wanted in order to get them to where they are.

You do realize that MU is the only team to be over .500 in conference play the last 7 years, right? That didn't really hit me until last night's game when Bilas was - again - praising MU's success and how it really has become an annual power. Louisville has had bad seasons under Rick. Pitt was gawd awful last year. 'Nova is seeing struggles. But, through all of that, there's MU.

They've lost some games due to laziness and turnovers, no doubt. But Buzz, for the most part, has done what coaches are supposed to do - put his team in a position to succeed first and foremost, and second of all get players to continuously improve. The frustration this year is that it appears maybe not everyone is improving at a level we wanted/expected, particularly Jamil. But for the most part I think we've seen some improvement in key guys for next year - Vander especially.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
I like this team, I just don't think there are any elite level players. There is nobody I truly "want" shooting when we need a basket. With that said, I think this team hustles and has achieved over it's talent. We lost two greats last year and I honestly believe we're still adjusting.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
Yes, it's now clear that he just can't recruit like Tom Crean.   ;D

I was hoping someone would finally make this thread about Crean.
Long overdue.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Because if you are half way decent, you always have a chance.  There are no elite teams anymore.  The second tier has dropped off as well.  So if you are a competent team, you have a better chance of sticking around then in years past in the standings, in games, for post season.  I thought the one national tweet last night about both G'Town and MU nailed it about the state of hoops.  Neither of these teams would be top 25 material 10 to 15 years ago and no where near the top of the Big East standings.  That's the state of hoops now.  UCLA fans out here cringe at the level of hoops now...the fact that this UCLA team is in first place of the Pac 12, they would be a middle of the road or bottom half team in the Pac 10 from 10 years ago.

Exactly. And its a huge reason why I like to hear the opinions of older coaches that have been in the ncaa for a long time - they are the only ones that truly know just how much the game has dropped off. For young coaches, this is all they know. Coach K, Boeheim, Calhoun, Roy, etc...they have all said the same thing. And Knight does, too. They all say there is a lack of great talent. The freshmen that get immediate playing time nowadays would never get a chance to get on the court years ago. AAU and h.s. bball do not teach fundamentals anymore. Kids rely more on their athleticism moreso than their bball iq because most have a very poor understanding of the game...

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
Lack of urgency is a minor problem compared to the amount of turnovers we had last night

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
The only reason this team is ranked is the favorable schedule. If we played our 2nd half of the schedule first, we wouldn't be #18.

SOS is #15 nationally out of 347.  But don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Last night was bad. I'm as frustrated as you are. But slow, bereft of talent and lacking in effort doesn't get you 17-6 and 8-3 in the Big East.
Beating up on USF 2x, Seton Hall, depaul, and Prov. sure can make that record look nice in early Feb.-- doesn't mean much. We will see where we shake out in the 2nd tier of teams along with Pitt ND and Cincy.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
We also won at Pitt, won against Georgetown

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »
SOS is #15 nationally out of 347.  But don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Pretty sure he was talking about the BE schedule, which absolutely was soft through the first 10 games.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM by MUfan12 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

With hoops where it is, more NCAA bids now, the idea of going to the NIT in today's day and age would be really bad.  Not going to happen.

This statement is ridiculous. Unless your in the last 4 in, getting to the NCAA or going to the NIT is no different than it was 10 years ago. These teams don't compete in a vacuum. Just because there's less talent around doesn't make it easier (or harder) to be among the top 40 at large teams. Simple math.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
nm

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »

Fortunately, college hoops level of quality continues to erode so we're going to be just fine.  Buzz doing a very good job assembling average talent to play well.  That's also on him, in a good way.

What do you attribute this too? NBA age rule? The one and dones?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
Because if you are half way decent, you always have a chance.  There are no elite teams anymore.  The second tier has dropped off as well.  So if you are a competent team, you have a better chance of sticking around then in years past in the standings, in games, for post season.  I thought the one national tweet last night about both G'Town and MU nailed it about the state of hoops.  Neither of these teams would be top 25 material 10 to 15 years ago and no where near the top of the Big East standings.  That's the state of hoops now.  UCLA fans out here cringe at the level of hoops now...the fact that this UCLA team is in first place of the Pac 12, they would be a middle of the road or bottom half team in the Pac 10 from 10 years ago.

I understand that the teams relative to years past aren't as good and I totally agree with you there.  But I don't see how the overall quality of NCAA bball declining gives MU a competetive edge.  It's still all the same teams going after the same talent and playing each other.  

I don't see how the declining quality of college bball would benefit MU, but at the same time not benefit every other program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
I agree with Chico's for most part. This year more than any other year has really made me take notice of the quality of play. To me IU, Miami and Michigan are better than almost everyone night. The game is different and to me it is a positive. A school like MU has better chance to make FF now than ten years ago. Not saying this years team, just in general MU has better chance than in the past.

Seriously, it seems crazy to say it, but if a couple of our guys catch fire at just the right time -- think Vander vs. USF, Jamil vs. UWGB, maybe best-of-Mayo of last season, etc. -- maybe we can be that team that stuns everyone in March.

Highly unlikely, of course. But I don't think that before tourney time, too many people were saying VCU, George Mason, Davidson, etc. were going to have their runs of recent years.

Just trying to turn this into a positive, which is unusual for a cynic like me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
This statement is ridiculous. Unless your in the last 4 in, getting to the NCAA or going to the NIT is no different than it was 10 years ago. These teams don't compete in a vacuum. Just because there's less talent around doesn't make it easier (or harder) to be among the top 40 at large teams. Simple math.

Exactly, It is a silly assertion. Teams may have been better 10 years ago, but we aren't playing teams from 10 years ago. (Interesting how 10 was the number of years used for comparison)

I guess if you wanted to diminish the accomplishments of a coach or team you could make such a statement, kind of like a soft bubble.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:02:23 PM by hairyworthen »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
MU loses a tough road game and suddenly most of the roster is mid-major quality? The players have no balls?

C'mon guys.

Georgetown is good. It's tough to win on the road.

Let's not be meatheads. Engage your brains. Cut out the over-emotional stuff. Save that for NFL postgame radio.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »
We also won at Pitt, won against Georgetown

Yes we did.  However, I believe we are closer to the middle of the pack with the  Nova STJ ND and Cincys of the conf.  than those who believe we have/had a chance at a BE title.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Why do we play so different on the road. It seems as if no one was familiar with each other. With the way our scorers played, I would have accepted seeing Thomas' threes or Ferguson's floater been given a chance. Blue and Gardner were sleep. WAKE UP, you're on ESPN.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
Why do we play so different on the road. It seems as if no one was familiar with each other. With the way our scorers played, I would have accepted seeing Thomas' threes or Ferguson's floater been given a chance. Blue and Gardner were sleep. WAKE UP, you're on ESPN.

Why do we play so different on the road? You could ask that question of the vast, vast, vast majority of teams every single year.

That's why they call it home-court advantage. If it didn't offer a huge advantage to be home (and therefore a huge disadvantage to be away from home), there would be no such thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
MU loses a tough road game and suddenly most of the roster is mid-major quality? The players have no balls?

C'mon guys.

Georgetown is good. It's tough to win on the road.

Let's not be meatheads. Engage your brains. Cut out the over-emotional stuff. Save that for NFL postgame radio.

Sure, don't have problem with losing to a good team, especially on the road. But, Georgetown exposed MU for what it is as a basketball team. UWGB, however, is not a good team.
I'll stick by my original premise which is there is a shortage of high end talent on this team. I agree that Buzz continues to get the maximum from his team. My point is he needs to bring in better players. Maybe that happens next season, we'll see.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »
Sure, don't have problem with losing to a good team, especially on the road. But, Georgetown exposed MU for what it is as a basketball team. UWGB, however, is not a good team.
I'll stick by my original premise which is there is a shortage of high end talent on this team. I agree that Buzz continues to get the maximum from his team. My point is he needs to bring in better players. Maybe that happens next season, we'll see.

We need better players!

C'mon.

When MU wins a tough game, it doesn't mean the players are awesome. When they lose a tough game, it doesn't mean they are awful.

When they execute, the current roster is pretty good. They have some holes in 3pt shooting, ball security, and rebounding (esp. when they play zone).

But, even with those holes, it doesn't automatically mean the players aren't good enough, or that they are mid-major talent. That's BS and you know it.

This is college hoops. Sometimes guys don't play well. Remember Vanderbilt last year? Did that expose DJO and Jae? Were they mid-major talent?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Buzz has been on better players in the past. Just hasn't closed the deal. This team looks a lot different with Deng, Harrison, even the dude at Maryland on it.
Don't know how much Cadougan's Achilles injury hampered his development, but clearly he lacks speed and quickness, among other point guard skills. Otule and Gardner clearly have limitations. Gotta bring better talent in at the 5 to have any shot in March.
I supported Wilson vs Newbill on every level. In hindsight, how does that look today? Truth is switchables is a synonym for whatever position the coach hasn't been able to recruit.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"