Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pile on Bucky!  (Read 13262 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Pile on Bucky!
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:10:44 AM »
Yesterday morning, I heard them talking on WSSP about the Marquette/UW rivalry, and they said that Marquette had a lot more hatred of UW than UW has of us. Well, that's probably true, and I'm fine with it.

But anyway, after the Badgers loss tonight, I thought I'd take a look at Bo Ryan's illustrious March Madness career at Wisconsin. He now has 1 Elite 8 run and 3 Sweet 16s. Not so bad for 10 years...or is it?

Consider this: if Buzz beats UNC tomorrow, he will have as many wins over single-digit seeds (3) as Bo Ryan has in his entire career at Wisconsin.

Bo's Badgers beat 9-seed St. John's in 2002, 5-seed Florida State in 2009, and 5-seed Kansas State in 2011. In fact, this year's win over K-State was the first time Bo ever beat a single-seed team en route to a Sweet 16 or better. In 2003 and 2008 they faced two double-digit seeds to get to the Sweet 16, while they faced three double-digit seeds in 2005 to reach the Elite 8.

Buzz's win over 3-seed Syracuse was bigger than any NCAA Tournament win Bo Ryan has had in his entire career. The Badgers, for all their regular season success, are a pretty crappy team when it comes to March, and the only real chance they have of success is when lesser teams manage to score upsets and then face UW.

Suffice to say, I'm glad to see Bucky go down. If nothing else, we are guaranteed of being alive in this tournament longer than they are, even if it's just a scheduling technicality ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Pile on Bucky!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »
TBS really should have had a pregame warning up:

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
The seed thing against UW is overplayed.

Everyone in the tournament is a good team, and you have to play well to advance.

I am as happy as anyone to see UW go down, but all that matters is winning, not what the seed of the other team was.

JD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »

Everyone in the tournament is a good team, and you have to play well to advance.

I am as happy as anyone to see UW go down, but all that matters is winning, not what the seed of the other team was.

Bo Ryan is not a good tournament coach, if the fanbase actually cared they would get sick of all of the exits to teams with worse seeds, he has only beaten a single digit seed twice, both 5, and in 2005 when they made the elite 8 they did not play a single digit seed, i don't think that has ever happened before or since. The system does not work, losses to Davidson, Cornell, Xavier, Butler, and UNLV show that
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
Yesterday morning, I heard them talking on WSSP about the Marquette/UW rivalry, and they said that Marquette had a lot more hatred of UW than UW has of us. Well, that's probably true, and I'm fine with it.

But anyway, after the Badgers loss tonight, I thought I'd take a look at Bo Ryan's illustrious March Madness career at Wisconsin. He now has 1 Elite 8 run and 3 Sweet 16s. Not so bad for 10 years...or is it?

Consider this: if Buzz beats UNC tomorrow, he will have as many wins over single-digit seeds (3) as Bo Ryan has in his entire career at Wisconsin.

Bo's Badgers beat 9-seed St. John's in 2002, 5-seed Florida State in 2009, and 5-seed Kansas State in 2011. In fact, this year's win over K-State was the first time Bo ever beat a single-seed team en route to a Sweet 16 or better. In 2003 and 2008 they faced two double-digit seeds to get to the Sweet 16, while they faced three double-digit seeds in 2005 to reach the Elite 8.

Buzz's win over 3-seed Syracuse was bigger than any NCAA Tournament win Bo Ryan has had in his entire career. The Badgers, for all their regular season success, are a pretty crappy team when it comes to March, and the only real chance they have of success is when lesser teams manage to score upsets and then face UW.

Suffice to say, I'm glad to see Bucky go down. If nothing else, we are guaranteed of being alive in this tournament longer than they are, even if it's just a scheduling technicality ;D

The flip side of that argument is that his teams EARNED good seeds and they played lower seeds for a reason.

Considering where Wisconsin was for 54 years, I'd say they are pretty damn happy at what they've done the last 13 years and especially in the Bo Ryan era. 

I'm glad I didn't get to see tonight as my eyes probably would have burned out.  Duke and UA practically scored more points in the first half than that entire game. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:25 AM »
TBS really should have had a pregame warning up:

+

I almost blew my sip of water out my nose!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:36 AM »
So....wouldn't you think if you earned a higher seed you should beat the lower seed?  I can see losing once or twice, but year after year???

Wisconsin is a joke, and I will NEVER be a UW-Madison fan.  
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:16 AM »
Better dead than red

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30:04 AM »
http://twitter.com/#!/UWMadison/status/51139360569032705

@MarquetteU We are all Golden Eagles (and @uwgb #Phoenix) now. Where can we get a pair of your new Google Goggles?

JD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »

@MarquetteU We are all Golden Eagles (and @uwgb #Phoenix) now. Where can we get a pair of your new Google Goggles?

Please cheer for UWGB, we don't want/need you bandwagon jumping, thanks.

"Grind together, shine together."

AL

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:18 AM »
You guys are being pretty harsh. UW fans are being pretty good sports. Even a couple nice threads wishing us luck over on their scout board.

Oh well.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »

Bo Ryan is not a good tournament coach, if the fanbase actually cared they would get sick of all of the exits to teams with worse seeds, he has only beaten a single digit seed twice, both 5, and in 2005 when they made the elite 8 they did not play a single digit seed, i don't think that has ever happened before or since. The system does not work, losses to Davidson, Cornell, Xavier, Butler, and UNLV show that

It's happened to KU when they won the NC, and it'll happen to them this year if they make the Final 4. It's happened a few times. They don't care because their basketball program sucked for 54 years. They were essentially what DePaul is now in the Big East.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
So....wouldn't you think if you earned a higher seed you should beat the lower seed?  I can see losing once or twice, but year after year???

Wisconsin is a joke, and I will NEVER be a UW-Madison fan.  

They lose year after year to a lower seed?   :o  Aren't you forgetting all the lower seeds they beat in the first place?  And the facts certainly show it doesn't happen year after year.

2010-11, lost to a lower seed after beating two other lower seeds
2009-10, lost to a lower seed after beating a lower seed
2008-09, lost to a higher seed in 2nd  (after beating another higher seed)
2007-08, lost to a lower seed after beating two other lower seeds
2006-07, lost to a lower seed after beating a lower seed
2005-06, lost to a higher seed
2004-05, lost to a higher seed after beating three lower seeds
2003-04, lost to a higher seed after beating a lower seed
2002-03, lost to a higher seed after beating two lower seeds
2001-02, lost to a higher seed after beating a lower seed

So in 10 years under Ryan, they've been bounced by a higher seed 6 times and a lower seed 4 times...how is that YEAR AFTER YEAR?  Further more, in each year they were bounced by a lower seed, they also managed to take out at least one lower seed along the way, if not two...meaning they "lower" seeds they are losing to sometimes ended up playing for the Final Four as an Elite 8 participant.  Not exactly "lowly" teams now.

At any rate, glad they are out.  There are 12 teams left in the NCAAs and two of my alma maters are among them.  Go Jayhawks and Go Warriors!

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
It's happened to KU when they won the NC, and it'll happen to them this year if they make the Final 4. It's happened a few times. They don't care because their basketball program sucked for 54 years. They were essentially what DePaul is now in the Big East.

I suppose, Madison is the 2nd most liberal city in America.  But I'll keep politics out of it.  The reality is that Wisconsin isn't good, they get bounced by mid-major schools all the time, and for their fans to think they are "superior" to any other school in Wisconsin especially Marquette, is laughable.

AL

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 12:44:21 AM »

I suppose, Madison is the 2nd most liberal city in America.  But I'll keep politics out of it.  The reality is that Wisconsin isn't good, they get bounced by mid-major schools all the time, and for their fans to think they are "superior" to any other school in Wisconsin especially Marquette, is laughable.

What the hell makes you think Wisconsin isn't good? They aren't going to win the National Title, but they've been a top 20 program this decade, and potentially a top 15 one. And I don't see how it's laughable considering that they've been better then MU for a majority of the past decade.

JD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
Chico's, isn't that what you should do if your a higher seed?  Aren't you suppose to beat the lower seed?  So there 4-6, guess thats doing pretty good!  Anywho I could careless about Becky, I just want MU to win.

Lets get it boys!

AL

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »
What the hell makes you think Wisconsin isn't good? They aren't going to win the National Title, but they've been a top 20 program this decade, and potentially a top 15 one. And I don't see how it's laughable considering that they've been better then MU for a majority of the past decade.[/color]

Really, how many Final Fours have they been too?  How was there road when they got to the Elite 8 or any other S16 for that matter?  Although they did win it at in 41' when there was 10 teams in the mix. (over-exaggerated)

If that makes them a good team well I guess so then, but not to me.  If your going by regular season rankings, sure then they're great!

AL

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
For some interesting reading, check out www.twitter.com/tompelissero. He's getting attacked by the Bo disciples.

He used to cover UW for the GB Press-Gazette. First WI media type I've heard speak ill of Bo. Shows how much he's got the Oates' of the world under his thumb.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
Chico's, isn't that what you should do if your a higher seed?  Aren't you suppose to beat the lower seed?  So there 4-6, guess thats doing pretty good!  Anywho I could careless about Becky, I just want MU to win.

Lets get it boys!

To a point, yes.  But at some point, when those lower seeds are making the Elite 8, they either were incorrectly seeded or playing out of their minds.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 12:58:14 AM »
What the hell makes you think Wisconsin isn't good? They aren't going to win the National Title, but they've been a top 20 program this decade, and potentially a top 15 one. And I don't see how it's laughable considering that they've been better then MU for a majority of the past decade.[/color]

Really, how many Final Fours have they been too?  How was there road when they got to the Elite 8 or any other S16 for that matter?  Although they did win it at in 41' when there was 10 teams in the mix. (over-exaggerated)

If that makes them a good team well I guess so then, but not to me.  If your going by regular season rankings, sure then they're great!

Dude who cares who they beat to make it there. Do you actually think that KU in 2008 is going to give back their National Title Banner because they beat a 16, 8, 12, and 10 to get to the Final 4? Hell no. Do you think MU fans would complain about a Final 4 if the teams we beat were IUPUI, Savannah State, Morgan State, and Tennessee Tech? Nope. Wisconsin have made 5 Sweet 16's, and 1 Final 4 this decade. Any way you slice it that's good, and really good for a them.

By your standards would you consider MU good then?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »

Bo Ryan Tourney Wins
9-seed St. John's (2002)
12-seed Weber State (2003)
13-seed Tulsa (2003)
11-seed Richmond (2004)
11-seed Northern Iowa (2005)
14-seed Bucknell (2005)
10-seed NC State (2005)
15-seed Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (2007)
14-seed Cal State Fullerton (2008)
11-seed Kansas State (2008)
5-seed Florida State (2009)
13-seed Wofford (2010)
13-seed Belmont (2011)
5-seed Kansas State (2011)

Bo Ryan Tourney Losses
1-seed Maryland (2002)
1-seed Kentucky (2003)
3-seed Pittsburgh (2004)
1-seed North Carolina (2005)
8-seed Arizona (2006)
7-seed UNLV (2007)
10-seed Davidson (2008)
4-seed Xavier (2009)
12-seed Cornell (2010)
8-seed Butler (2011)

So Wisconsin's record against double-digit seeds is 11-2, while their record against single-digit seeds is 3-8. Beg to differ, but that's pretty consistent statistical evidence that there's a difference between 11-15 seeds and 1-8 seeds.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »
3 of those losses to 1 seeds

It's also when you lose to them  Butler is an 8 seed and on the verge of going to the Final Four back to back years...so are they truly an 8 seed or just a dynamite tournament team that plays well above their seeding?

14 NCAA wins in the last 10 years....where do I sign up for that?  It's been 4 decades since we did something like that.

JD

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:34 AM »
By your standards would you consider MU good then?

First, I would get more satisfaction out of beating Xavier and Syracuse and ending at the S16 then beating IUPUI, Savannah State, Morgan State, and Tennessee Tech to get the the Final Four.  But again that's just me.  Isn't that why we're in the Big East instead of CUSA?  I think most people would get more satisfaction on beating quality teams rather then quantity. (maybe not when it comes to the NCAA tourney, but to me personally I'd rather have it that way.)  Secondly by my standards I do consider MU good.  Any team that competes against the countries best teams every year since we've been in the Big East I believe should be labeled as "good"  Yeah we do not have as many sweet 16 appearances as your badgers, but look at the teams we lost too and how much we lost to them, a bounce here a free throw there it could be a different story.  That is why I feel this year is very satisfying to me as a fan because it finally seems the ball is on our side for once and the players who put in all the hard work finally get some recognition  for it.

"Dude" it's OK, everybody has there own opinion, relax.

AL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »
A team doesn't control who is put in front of them in the NCAAs.  Do you think a team making the Final Four actually says, "well that wasn't so satisfying because of who we played"?  Really?

It's win and advance, doesn't matter who you play.  It's out of your control.  Sure, in retrospect it's awesome to be able to say you beat two #1 seeds and a #3 seed or whatever, but I certainly doubt any team making the Final Four is going to scoff at their accomplishment based on who they played....did you make it or didn't you.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 02:17:59 AM »
I hate it when I agree with Chicos. Seriously.

But he's spot on.