[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Newbill article  (Read 23999 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Newbill article
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
It still puzzles me on the signing....hopefully he's the deal.  I just didn't think we would be using scholarships on 1 star players at a position we are loaded in.  It seems strange.  I can only imagine how it would be described in years past.

At this point, I think we have to give Buzz the benefit of the doubt - and it probably won't be described how it was in years past due to Buzz's track record with the late signing season, signees he's inked so far:  DJO and Jimmy Butler.  Mbao (maybe could question this, but he's the project 7-footer most people are begging Buzz to sign right now..as there are very few remaining top-flight big men..and the Mbao type of player is probably what you would get now if you were to have used the 2 remaining schollies on Bigs - maybe 1 of the 2 could possibly be an early contributor, but most likely not 2 of 2)  

Keep in mind Buzz will definitely sign another BIG with this last scholarship, and we will have Otule still with sophomore status assuming the red-shirt remains this year..and a hopefully improved Mbao.  I bet Buzz goes out and signs at least 2 Top 100 Bigs in the 2011 class, that stand a much better chance of being immediate contributors than what he can find now.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 11:02:17 AM »
1 star...yikes

Just like Jimmy Butler.

The fact that Huggins offered is far more telling to me than how many stars the Scout experts deem him worthy of.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »
Coming out of high school Jimmy Butler had 1 scholarship offer.....he was a 1 star.....so was Damian Saunders...Coobie was a 3 star....so was Fulce.......yikes.......

Nobody had heard of DJO before he signed......it's worked out ok......Everybody knew about top 100 player Brandon Bell...... ::)

I have no idea if this kid is the goods or not but this is hardly a flyer.

They had him at elite camp...they saw him play this year in high school....they obviously think he can play and like his attitude.

Every coach makes mistakes in recruiting......Buzz made his with Roseborro(couldn't play) and Maymon(crazy dad).

Lets give the kid and Buzz the benefit of the doubt at least until we see him play.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
I would rather take a chance on someone with huge upside than someone who may have already peaked in HS. It happens far too often with many of these highly rated kids from big programs.

Say what you will but the kids seem to really love Buzz and have bought into his way of doing things. It's been a long time since I have seen a MU team that never gives up and fights and scraps the way this team does. This team just looks different from other teams in the past especially when you consider how young and in experienced they were when the season began.

I suspect that Buzz will wring every bit of talent out of a kid and coach them up to their full potential. Look at Jimmy Butler as an example.....you just have to love this kid....works hard every play....no show boating and always seems focused on the task at hand.....he's my favorite player on this team (after 'Zar of course) and I really enjoy watching him play. Having two or three more Butler types would make this team a real force to be reckoned with.

Character counts.....until proven otherwise, keep reeling in character guys with a big upside Buzz.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
My understanding was he more than held his own at the elite camp which had probably 10 top 100 player's between 2010 and 2011.  I would say that is more important than a rating service that is trying to rate 500 player's nationally per class.  Buzz got to watch him for 2 days against top competition.  Plus his team is undeafeted and he has hit 3 game winner's so far this year.  Sounds like a player That is better live.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
IWB had him as his 4th best player at MU's elite camp last summer, behind Blue, Black, and ?.    He has grown an inch and 25 lbs in the last year.    His coach says he has been effective at the 1,2, and 3.     I feel we need bigs more than this guy, but I am not ready to toss him under the bus.     Lets see what the kid has got.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
Blackshear was the other top performer at the Elite camp.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
Coming out of high school Jimmy Butler had 1 scholarship offer.....he was a 1 star.....so was Damian Saunders...Coobie was a 3 star....so was Fulce.......yikes.......

Man...Damian Saunders would look really good in a Marquette uniform right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Blackshear was the other top performer at the Elite camp.

Thanks.    Brain not working due to cold medicine and too lazy for research.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
IWB had him as his 4th best player at MU's elite camp last summer, behind Blue, Black, and ?.    He has grown an inch and 25 lbs in the last year.    His coach says he has been effective at the 1,2, and 3.     I feel we need bigs more than this guy, but I am not ready to toss him under the bus.     Lets see what the kid has got.

For some perspective I'd like to see who was the 5th, 6th & 7th best.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »
Coming out of high school Jimmy Butler had 1 scholarship offer.....

You sure?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2442577/posts

Says here that Mississippi State wanted him out of high school.  TCU, Sam Houston, etc. 

Again, hopefully he's the real deal (great to see him as a 3 star on Rivals)....what I struggle with most is the position he plays guys...and I'm a "guards guy"...I love having guards.  Just doesn't seem like a need right now and there are a ton of guys like him that you can always pick up at that size at other times.  I'm sure he'll do well at MU and welcome aboard.  The position, however, does have me scratching my head.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »
Again, hopefully he's the real deal (great to see him as a 3 star on Rivals

It's not like Rivals suddenly reviewed a dozen game tapes to diligently give him three stars.  Scout had to add him because he committed to MU.  They hadn't heard of him, and since they hadn't they stuck him with one star.  Rivals assumed because he was going to MU and the newspaper article they read listed off a few decent mid-majors as being interested that they would give him three. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
 I picture him playing the 3 for us. Someone had stated that he had grown 2" and added 25 lbs to his frame over a year span. If he can attain even an extra inch in height that would be very beneficial for him and for MU, now obviously he can't control that. If he was 6'-5" then he could play small forward more.

His coach says he has been effective at the 1,2, and 3.

Generally freshman gain an extra 10-15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, so lets hope he does. Maybe Buzz envisions him as more of a 3.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
Buzz said on his radio show this week that Butler had 1 offer out of high school.......

Not sure where that information came from but I'm assuming it came from Jimmy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
You sure?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2442577/posts

Says here that Mississippi State wanted him out of high school.  TCU, Sam Houston, etc.  

Again, hopefully he's the real deal (great to see him as a 3 star on Rivals)....what I struggle with most is the position he plays guys...and I'm a "guards guy"...I love having guards.  Just doesn't seem like a need right now and there are a ton of guys like him that you can always pick up at that size at other times.  I'm sure he'll do well at MU and welcome aboard.  The position, however, does have me scratching my head.

Agree with you Chicos, but like we all have been saying ad nauseum how many bigs are out there for next year. Hope the kid pans out. I rather have some bodies than an open spot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:29:52 PM by muwarrior69 »

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »
I hope I'm not putting out info that is not meant for this board But I think IWB put him 4th or 5th in the Sr Class so the did not include either Blackshear or Dawson.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
I think we should probably start thinking of these guys at 2A and 2B.  With the 3 guard set we are going to, we'll have a defined 1, with 2 guards flanking him and working interchangeably.  For example, playing DJO at the 3 like we've talked about, I don't really seeing him posting up as 3s sometimes do.  I would imagine Newbill would operate in a similar fashion.  Just my thoughts when looking at the roster going forward.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
Gonna be competitive in practice next year.  No one's spot at the guard is safe.  If you can't perform, you can take a seat.  That is something the Three Amigos never had to deal with.  

The big guy thing just has to happen.  Buzz and the program are doing all the right things, we have tons of resources, and plent of playing time on a good team.  It's just gotta happen (can you tell I'm a Cubs fan).

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
Correct, IWB rated him the fourth best senior at the elite camp, behind Blue, Black, and Pinkston, all top 100 players in the 2010 class. I can't find the original article from this summer, just what was posted after the commitment on Scout. It would be interesting to see what other seniors were there that IWB ranked behind him. Was Reggie Smith there? He's a fringe top 100 on Rivals I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and graded 90 on ESPN. That might provide a little perspective.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Again, hopefully he's the real deal (great to see him as a 3 star on Rivals)....what I struggle with most is the position he plays guys...and I'm a "guards guy"...I love having guards.  Just doesn't seem like a need right now and there are a ton of guys like him that you can always pick up at that size at other times.  I'm sure he'll do well at MU and welcome aboard.  The position, however, does have me scratching my head.

Isn't college basketball a guard-dominated game?  ;)

Seriously, though, keep in mind that Buzz for all intents runs a three-guard lineup and has been very willing - for better or worse - to use the likes of Lazar Hayward and Jimmy Butler (or Joe Fulce or Erik Williams, once he figures it out) at the 4.
That being the case, next year's roster as it currently stands - even with Newbill - will have seven guards (Buycks, DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Smith, Jones, Newbill) to man three positions .... not all that ridiculous considering five of them will have very little or no experience.
That leaves six players - Otule, Mbao, Butler, Fulce, Williams and the final scholie - to man the 4 and 5 positions.
If that final scholie goes to a legit big man - say a decent-sized 4 with the ability to occasionally fill in at the 5 - I think we'll be alright. That would give the staff three options at each of the two frontcourt spots. Would using Jimmy at the 4 create some matchup woes for MU .... yep. It would do the same for many opponents as well though (see: Gavin Edwards trying to guard Butler on the final shot Saturday).

I think this does mean Buzz is taking some risk that Otule and/or Mbao can provide some decent big-man production next year, at least defensively and in rebounding. But I'm not sure that's any more risky than thinking you're going to land two better options in the spring signing period.

When all's said and done, I suspect Buzz liked the upside of Newbill as an apparently still-growing wing option more than he liked what he believes he could get from a second big man in the spring.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
The fact that Buzz runs a 4 out 1 in motion offense also dictates a need for big body guard/wing type players. Having long guards on the floor makes it easier to see the floor and find an entry pass or see open passing lanes or lanes to the basket.  3 guards, Jimmy, and Chris on the floor is actually a pretty good sized lineup next year if a couple of the guards are around 6'4" and there is a ton of athleticism there too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
Isn't college basketball a guard-dominated game?  ;)

Seriously, though, keep in mind that Buzz for all intents runs a three-guard lineup and has been very willing - for better or worse - to use the likes of Lazar Hayward and Jimmy Butler (or Joe Fulce or Erik Williams, once he figures it out) at the 4.
That being the case, next year's roster as it currently stands - even with Newbill - will have seven guards (Buycks, DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Smith, Jones, Newbill) to man three positions .... not all that ridiculous considering five of them will have very little or no experience.
That leaves six players - Otule, Mbao, Butler, Fulce, Williams and the final scholie - to man the 4 and 5 positions.
If that final scholie goes to a legit big man - say a decent-sized 4 with the ability to occasionally fill in at the 5 - I think we'll be alright. That would give the staff three options at each of the two frontcourt spots. Would using Jimmy at the 4 create some matchup woes for MU .... yep. It would do the same for many opponents as well though (see: Gavin Edwards trying to guard Butler on the final shot Saturday).

I think this does mean Buzz is taking some risk that Otule and/or Mbao can provide some decent big-man production next year, at least defensively and in rebounding. But I'm not sure that's any more risky than thinking you're going to land two better options in the spring signing period.

When all's said and done, I suspect Buzz liked the upside of Newbill as an apparently still-growing wing option more than he liked what he believes he could get from a second big man in the spring.

Sure is, and I love the guards....just seems like we have a lot of them to take a 1 \ 3 star guy for that position.  Maybe the ratings are way behind schedule.  That is my hope.  Or maybe something else is will make itself known (I don't have any information on that). 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
Generally freshman gain an extra 10-15 pounds...in the offseason, so lets hope he does.

Ahh...the Freshman Fifteen.  I thought that was just coeds.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »
there's a good article on him on marquette.scout.com. a little bit more about him. from a coaches standpoint.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
Sure is, and I love the guards....just seems like we have a lot of them to take a 1 \ 3 star guy for that position.  Maybe the ratings are way behind schedule.  That is my hope.  Or maybe something else is will make itself known (I don't have any information on that). 

seems like you rely too much on these ratings

feedback