[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?  (Read 31148 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
It’s not a lot of people, but most refs would be close to the at-risk age. I wonder if they broadcast from a remote studio. There’s more people at a stadium than just the players and coaches.

I hope we get the NCAA tourney in some fashion, but I’m getting ready to hear it’s cancelled.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »
In this case, if you're worried about getting sick, don't attend the NCAA tournament.  If you already have tickets, sell them to someone else.  Stay home and watch it on TV.  I'm sure there are plenty of people that still want to go to the games and are willing to take the "risk".  I'm so sick of this notion that we aren't smart enough to take care of ourselves.

If you want to live in a bubble, go live in a bubble.  But don't make me live in a bubble if I'm healthy.

<sigh>  That's not the point either.  I don't care about getting sick.  I care about inadvertantly getting someone else sick.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
<sigh>That's not the point either.  I don't care about getting sick.  I care about inadvertantly getting someone else sick.

Thank you.  One of the things my Marquette education taught me was that it's not always all about me.  My teenage self was convinced otherwise.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
CBI cancelled.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
Has anyone hear talked to actual everyday heath professionals???   I have talked to many, none are freaking out or panicked!!!! 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Has anyone hear talked to actual everyday heath professionals???   I have talked to many, none are freaking out or panicked!!!!

Well, a number of healthcare organizations (including the American College of Physicians) have cancelled their own meetings, so I suspect someone with a healthcare background has been consulted...

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/tech/himss-cancels-2020-global-health-conference-due-to-coronavirus

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
I have talked to many, none are freaking out or panicked!!!!

I suspect one reason they're not is that extensive measures are being deployed by cities to prevent the spread of the virus.  You know, like curtailing entertainment events.

By the way, the more exclamation points you use, the stronger your argument, so well done.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 01:30:50 PM »
CBI cancelled.

Poor DePaul...no postseason tournament for them now. CBI=AKA the DePaul Invitational
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
This is a joke right?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
This is absolute insanity!!  Shall we get into all the things that more people die from every day and every year in the US!!!  My god this is 100% on the media hyping this like NEVER before!!!

It is not the media.   The countries that have been hit hard (China and Italy) are not worried about what the media is saying.  The WHO, CDC and state health departments are taking this very seriously and you should too, at least for now.  None of their actions or reactions are media driven.  Hopefully this all passes with a whimper but preparing for it is the smart thing to do.  Panicking and blaming the media are not.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:44:28 PM by Shooter McGavin »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »

Yes, I am one and my wife works in a lab and with the state lab. This is serious. People in here are not taking this seriously enough. The point of limiting contact now before a massive outbreak is so that we don't become Italy. Someone yesterday said "I'll be worried when the doctors are worried." I'm confident that person is not working with or communicating with infectious disease doctors.

Where do you all think this is coming from? Did Wolf Blitzer force Italy to quarantine so he'd have something to talk about? Did Rachel Maddow kill 3.8% of the infected population for ratings?

This virus is essentially operating on a bell curve, and the more contact and viral communication is limited, the smaller the peak of the bell will be and the quicker we get past it. The more we encourage communication of the virus, the more we risk becoming Italy, except in a far more massive landscape and 300+ million people.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »

Well, a number of healthcare organizations (including the American College of Physicians) have cancelled their own meetings, so I suspect someone with a healthcare background has been consulted...

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/tech/himss-cancels-2020-global-health-conference-due-to-coronavirus

A lot of staff who sit on the boards of these organizations work for academic institutions who have banned travel. This has a lot more to do with cancellations than the virus itself.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »

The head of the NIH said it was going to get a lot worse.  He's not freaking out or panicked, but believes that NBA games should be played in front of empty arenas.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »

The head of the NIH said it was going to get a lot worse.  He's not freaking out or panicked, but believes that NBA games should be played in front of empty arenas.
Yes, the hysteria bell curve will dwarf the actual trajectory of the virus. Buckle up and be cool.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »

This is exactly right. I'm not saying anyone should panic, but it is serious and it's wise to take precautions. Hand-washing, avoiding large public gatherings, and being especially careful regarding older populations.

I'm not overly worried because my wife and I are generally healthy and this hasn't had an outsized impact on children, who are often a high risk population, but Italy didn't essentially shut down the country for fun. This is real.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
CBI cancelled.

I could see the NIT being canceled pretty soon as well

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:45 PM »
They're dumb.

No, people just unnatural carnal knowledgeing freak out about the dumbest crap sometimes, for real..The media gets a hold of something and plays on people's fears, and now we have what we have.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
No, people just unnatural carnal knowledgeing freak out about the dumbest crap sometimes, for real..The media gets a hold of something and plays on people's fears, and now we have what we have.

This is false. Italy didn't shut their country down because of dumb crap.

Putting 20,000 people from different parts of the country into 9 enclosed venues over the course of 6 days to share exposure before returning them to their communities, now that would be dumb crap.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »

Putting 20,000 people from different parts of the country into 9 enclosed venues over the course of 6 days to share exposure before returning them to their communities, now that would be dumb crap.
Yup.  That’s a combined 180,000 people or so plus all the workers, etc.  at the venues and providers at hotels/restaurants/etc.  Play in empty venues. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »

Brew - what do you think the chances are the tournament is outright cancelled, versus just no fans? 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »

No, people are dumb.  Being concerned and careful about something that leading healthcare organizations are concerned about is not freaking out. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
Dayton and Cleveland sites will officially be played with no fans, per Ohio Governor Mike DeWine.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
True, the media is loving this prolonged news cycle, but precautions should still be taken. Frankly, it's actually somewhat comforting to observe the response as it conveys the value that our society places on human well-being/life.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
Dayton and Cleveland sites will officially be played with no fans, per Ohio Governor Mike DeWine.
If no one sees it, did MU's play-in game loss really happen?