[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] MU adds aircraft carrier to 2009 recruiting class  (Read 2389 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

MU adds aircraft carrier to 2009 recruiting class

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

In a stunning development this week Marquette announced the signing of Youssoupha Mbao, a 7'2", 215-pound center from Dakar, Senegal. Per Rosiak's thorough article from today's paper the big fella was also being recruited by Kentucky, USC and Virginia Tech but opted to sign with Marquette on his official visit this week.

Mbao played ball  at Stoneridge Prep last year in Simi Valley, California last year averaging 13 points, 11 rebounds and 6 blocks per game and will have four years of eligibility at MU.    Rosiak spoke with Tony Benford, who led MU's pursuit of Mbao, for more details on the newest member of the program.

Mbao rounds out what can only be called a spectacular collection of basketball players in Buzz Williams' first full recruiting class, a group that Hoop Scoop previously ranked as the nation's best.   Mbao, who is ranked #125 in the 2009 recruiting class, joins an accomplished group that already included 6'9" Brett Roseboro, 6'6" Jeronne Maymon, 6'8" Erik Williams, 6'3" Dwight Buycks, and 6"2" Darius Johnson-Odom.

As they say, 'you can't teach height' and heading into future seasons the Warriors will have plenty of bigs for the rotation. With Mbao signed, Buzz Williams has three players in the stable at 6'10" or taller with sophomores-to-be Chris Otule (6'10") and Liam McMorrow (7'1") joining the newest Warrior in the Aircraft Carrier Section of the roster.  Incredibly, despite losing two of its bigger players to graduation or transfer after the season, the Golden Eagles could enter next year with ten players standing 6'6" or taller.

Or will they......

With Mbao signing his national letter of intent the 2009-2010 roster is over-subscribed by one scholarship player. With 10 potential players on the frontline, attrition with the bigs is most definitely in order -- something I never thought I'd say about the Marquette program.  Clearly the coaching staff is prepared for another player departure, and one possibility is a medical waiver.  With Joseph Fulce's inability to contribute after his early-season knee injury and the silence surrounding Liam McMorrow's status, the notion is not far-fetched.  Essentially, an injured player would forgo future eligibility due to a medical condition but remain on scholarship at the university.   In turn, the program would recoup the use of an athletic scholarship for use with another eligible player, in this case Mbao.  With finals coming up in a couple of weeks, we'll find out soon enough.

Nevertheless, in just one calendar year Buzz Williams completely transformed the makeup of the team.  The coach quickly re-charted the direction of the program away from a dependency on undersized, redundant backcourt talent in favor of taller, longer players that naturally fit into the five positions on the floor while also re-distributing players within class years (MUScoop's handy Scholarship Table sorts out the large yet balanced incoming 2009 class)

Additional Updates

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/04/mu-adds-aircraft-carrier-to-2009.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] MU adds aircraft carrier to 2009 recruiting class
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Good point - I keep assuming Liam will be off the team, but Fulce is a possibility too.  Especially given Buzz's comments that he may never be the same ball player.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
There has been some discussion about Liam and him not playing next year. I think this quote from Coach Benford pretty much closed the deal.

"Our team is changing a little bit from the three-guard offense, and he (Mbao) and Chris Otule will add size that we didn’t have and can match up with other bigger people in this league.

I am very sad to see this. I hope Liam stays at MU, I have met Liam 4-5 times this year and he was always very personable and good ambassador for MU.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
MU adds aircraft carrier to 2009 recruiting class

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

Mbao rounds out what can only be called a spectacular collection of basketball players in Buzz Williams' first full recruiting class, a group that Hoop Scoop previously ranked as the nation's best.   Mbao, who is ranked #125 in the 2009 recruiting class, joins an accomplished group that already included 6'9" Brett Roseboro, 6'6" Jeronne Maymon, 6'8" Erik Williams, 6'3" Dwight Buycks, and 6"2" Darius Johnson-Odom.

AND 6'2" Junior Cadougan

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
Man, this upcoming class is huge, the Madness countdown clock can't tick fast enough
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:37:02 PM by pillardean »
Marquette University, Spring '08

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »
One more thing about Liam.

I do not know if this would work, but what about a grayshirt year?  I know football does it for guys that get injured Senior year in high school and need more time to heal.  The injured kid doesn't count against a scholarship as he does not practice or participate with the team but does enroll in the University, or a JUCO or something.

My question is, would it be possible for Liam to grayshirt this upcoming year and not count against the MU scholarship count and rejoin the team next year if his injury situation is resolved? And would he still need to enroll part-time at Marquette on his own dime or could he go to MATC or something?

I do not know if a grayshirt is even applicable but I know its used in football for incoming freshman coming off injuries and also evening out graduating classes, why wouldn't it be possible in Basketball for Liam and Marquette?

(I do not know much about the recruiting world, so that is why I bring it up)
Marquette University, Spring '08

feedback