[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did The Bleacher Report Just Call MU (the the Big East) mid-majors?  (Read 23663 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
See the highlighted part ...  Technically the power five have 65 schools and the Big East has 10 so yes, they sign more players than the Big East.  But the way this was written it sounds like the Big East is no different from the Horizon league.

----------------------------------------------------------------

College Basketball Recruiting: Ranking the Top 20 Players in 2015 Class
By Brian Pedersen , Featured Columnist Apr 12, 2015

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2427200-college-basketball-recruiting-ranking-the-top-20-players-in-2015-class/page/11

11. Henry Ellenson

Position: Power Forward
Height, Weight: 6'10", 230 lbs

The majority of the top prospects each year end up going to teams in the five biggest conferences, but Henry Ellenson decided to buck that trend somewhat by signing with Marquette. It helped that his older brother, Wally, had transferred over from Minnesota.

The Wisconsin native is one of the most impressive post players in the country, but he'll be heading into college on the mend after he broke his left hand in the high school state semifinals in mid-March. Even with the injury, Ellenson scored 26 points and had 12 rebounds, but he's expected to miss six to eight weeks before resuming basketball activity.

Marquette finished 13-19 overall and tied for last in the Big East this past season, its first under coach Steve Wojciechowski, but with Ellenson's arrival, the Golden Eagles should be much improved.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Re: Did The Bleacher Report Just Call MU (the the Big East) mid-majors?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »
For goodness sake never click on, or link to, bleacher report. Starve the beast.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
See the highlighted part ...  Technically the power five have 65 schools and the Big East has 10 so yes, they sign more players than the Big East.  But the way this was written it sounds like the Big East is no different from the Horizon league.

----------------------------------------------------------------

College Basketball Recruiting: Ranking the Top 20 Players in 2015 Class
By Brian Pedersen , Featured Columnist Apr 12, 2015

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2427200-college-basketball-recruiting-ranking-the-top-20-players-in-2015-class/page/11

11. Henry Ellenson

Position: Power Forward
Height, Weight: 6'10", 230 lbs

The majority of the top prospects each year end up going to teams in the five biggest conferences, but Henry Ellenson decided to buck that trend somewhat by signing with Marquette. It helped that his older brother, Wally, had transferred over from Minnesota.

The Wisconsin native is one of the most impressive post players in the country, but he'll be heading into college on the mend after he broke his left hand in the high school state semifinals in mid-March. Even with the injury, Ellenson scored 26 points and had 12 rebounds, but he's expected to miss six to eight weeks before resuming basketball activity.

Marquette finished 13-19 overall and tied for last in the Big East this past season, its first under coach Steve Wojciechowski, but with Ellenson's arrival, the Golden Eagles should be much improved.

My God, you're right! I would have never caught this!

That must be the point of the entire article. I would have thought it was about where the top 20 players are going, but I now see the real intent was to point out that the Big East and the Horizon are equals.

Thanks for pointing it out.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
Bleacher Report has legit writers. This guy is not:

Brian Pedersen is an on-call college football writer for Bleacher Report who also covers Major League Baseball, college basketball, NASCAR and Olympics.
Since 1995 the University of Arizona graduate has covered numerous sports and teams at all levels, including Arizona basketball, football and softball, minor league baseball and high school sports. He has nearly 19 years of experience in print media, including stints at two daily newspapers and one alternative weekly in the Tucson area. His freelance work has been published throughout the U.S.
Pedersen also contributes to AnteUp, a monthly poker magazine, focusing on events and issues related to Southern Arizona.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 05:46:34 PM »
I hate to break it to everybody but you could make a very strong argument that the big east is a mid-major conference.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »
I didn't read it that way.  There is the Power 5, which is what I think the guy was eluding to.  There is the non Power 5, which includes conferences that are high major, mid major, low major.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
I hate to break it to everybody but you could make a very strong argument that the big east is a mid-major conference.

Make it, and then I will tell you why you're wrong.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
Half of the current Big East members (Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, Xavier and Butler) were all playing in a mid major conference within the last 10 years.  When you regularly have national powerhouses leave the conference being replaced by schools from mid majors it's not unfathomable for some to consider the Big East as a mid major.

I think they're wrong in the assumption but time will tell.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
Half of the current Big East members (Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, Xavier and Butler) were all playing in a mid major conference within the last 10 years.  When you regularly have national powerhouses leave the conference being replaced by schools from mid majors it's not unfathomable for some to consider the Big East as a mid major.

Half the current B1G plays basketball at a mid-major level, and has for several years ... Neb, NW, Iowa, Penn State, Rutgers, Illinois and Minnesota.

Does that make the B1G a mid-major conference?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Make it, and then I will tell you why you're wrong.

If any power conference, and I do mean any, sent a invite to any one of our schools, that school including Marquette would leave so quickly it would make your head spin.  That is why we are a mid-major, just as the AAC is a mid major.  If a power conference extends an invite to anyone of those schools they are gone.  

Also, the power conferences all play football, we do not.  Historically this has been a trait of a mid major conference (a10, wcc).

Finally, all the power conferences are majority public state institutions.  We have none.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:00:56 PM by KipsBayEagle »

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:45 PM »
Half the current B1G plays basketball at a mid-major level, and has for several years ... Neb, NW, Iowa, Penn State, Rutgers, Illinois and Minnesota.

Does that make the B1G a mid-major conference?

Nebraska was in the big 12 before joining the big ten.

Penn State and Rutgers were in the Big East when they were a power conference before joining the big 10.

What is your point?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »
Ignore that above post, i misread your post.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
Without football we will always be a mid-major conference. We are one of the best basketball conferences and I would say we are a mid-major basketball conference until we can start putting teams in the final four.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
If any power conference, and I do mean any, sent a invite to any one of our schools, that school including Marquette would leave so quickly it would make your head spin.  That is why we are a mid-major, just as the AAC is a mid major.  If a power conference extends an invite to anyone of those schools they are gone. 

Also, the power conferences all play football, we do not.  Historically this has been a trait of a mid major conference (a10, acc).

Finally, all the power conferences are majority public state institutions.  We have none.

Any definition of "mid major" that includes the ACC is a bad definition.  By that metric, the B12 is also mid major because schools have left it as well.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »
My bad, totally meant to put WCC there, correcting now

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

Any definition of "mid major" that includes the ACC is a bad definition.  By that metric, the B12 is also mid major because schools have left it as well.

AAC - American Atheletic Conference NOT to be confused with the ACC - Atlantic Coast Conference.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
Without football we will always be a mid-major conference. We are one of the best basketball conferences and I would say we are a mid-major basketball conference until we can start putting teams in the final four.

I completely disagree on your first sentence.  Football is irrelevant to this discussion.  The second sentence makes is more relevant.  However the BE is a better basketball conference than some of the Power 5 so I don't think it is accurate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »
AAC - American Atheletic Conference NOT to be confused with the ACC - Atlantic Coast Conference.

Ah...just midread it.  It is still a bad definition.  Teams have left the ACC and B12 recently.  If Kansas were invited to the B10, they would leave as well.  That doesn't make them mid-major.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »

I completely disagree on your first sentence.  Football is irrelevant to this discussion.  The second sentence makes is more relevant.  However the BE is a better basketball conference than some of the Power 5 so I don't think it is accurate.

How is football irrelevant to this conversation?  Bowl Championship Series Automatic Bids are what gave power conferences the label power conferences.  Conference realignment was based around football.  The reason the new big east came together is a mutual lack of football.  If not football, what would make a power conference?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »

No it is not. Public perception is what determines if you are a major conference. MU and The Big East are no where on the sport scene until basketball starts.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »

Ah...just midread it.  It is still a bad definition.  Teams have left the ACC and B12 recently.  If Kansas were invited to the B10, they would leave as well.  That doesn't make them mid-major.

I'm not denying a hierarchy in the power conferences.  What I would argue is that were a non-power conference school offered a spot in any power conference, they would jump, no questions asked, barring outlandish travel scenarios (i.e. gonzaga to the acc)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »

Cusa at the time Marquette was in it was not a mid major.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »

Yes it was.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
No it is not. Public perception is what determines if you are a major conference. MU and The Big East are no where on the sport scene until basketball starts.

That's really surprising for a basketball only conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »
How is football irrelevant to this conversation?  Bowl Championship Series Automatic Bids are what gave power conferences the label power conferences.  Conference realignment was based around football.  The reason the new big east came together is a mutual lack of football.  If not football, what would make a power conference?

Mid-major is a phrase to mean a middle of the road conference in NCAA basketball.  Tell me how football plays in that equation?  The BE was rated higher than a couple P5 conferences this year.  It also was last year.

Finally, mid-major conferences do not put 6 teams in the NCAA tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
No it is not. Public perception is what determines if you are a major conference.

That is false.  Mid-majors don't do what the BE has done in terms of RPI or NCAA tournament births in recent years.  Mid-majors don't get a basketball only television contract like the BE did.

Don't define your life by what ESPN says it is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
I'm not denying a hierarchy in the power conferences.  What I would argue is that were a non-power conference school offered a spot in any power conference, they would jump, no questions asked, barring outlandish travel scenarios (i.e. gonzaga to the acc)

But if Power 5 schools would also jump to other Power 5 schools, that would mean your criteria is pretty lame.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
Yes it was.
A conference with Marquette, Depaul, Memphis, Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida is not a mid major

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
Mid-major is a phrase to mean a middle of the road conference in NCAA basketball.  Tell me how football plays in that equation?  The BE was rated higher than a couple P5 conferences this year.  It also was last year.

Finally, mid-major conferences do not put 6 teams in the NCAA tournament.

In that case the Atlantic 10 is a power conference as well, because they put 6 teams in the dance in 2014.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »
A conference with Marquette, Depaul, Memphis, Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida is not a mid major

I think the rest of the sports world would disagree with this assertion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
In that case the Atlantic 10 is a power conference as well, because they put 6 teams in the dance in 2014.

They didn't match the RPI though.  But that is why these labels are ridiculous.  Using football and "if they will leave" to determine the strength of a basketball conference makes no sense.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
They didn't match the RPI though.  But that is why these labels are ridiculous.  Using football and "if they will leave" to determine the strength of a basketball conference makes no sense.

I put him on ignore, he's making even dumber statements then ners did with dwil.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »

Than what metric are we using?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Than what metric are we using?

Basketball performance.  Conference RPI.  NCAA tournament births.  NCAA tournament progression.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 07:25:27 PM »

Basketball performance.  Conference RPI.  NCAA tournament births.  NCAA tournament progression.

This all proves we are a strong/not strong basketball conference, not a power conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
This all proves we are a strong/not strong basketball conference, not a power conference.

WTF does that even mean?  "Mid-major," is a basketball conference related adjective.  

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »

WTF does that even mean?  "Mid-major," is a basketball conference related adjective.  

Fine, we're not a mid-major, and we are not a power conference.  We are some hybrid between the two.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
"Mid-major" is meant to be a insult.  That is why the phrase brings up so many emotions.

Besides their no such official designation as mid-major. 

So it means whatever you want it to mean and how much you want to insult someone.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
correct!
Plus, the Power 5 is a football saying.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »
correct!
Plus, the Power 5 is a football saying.

+1

Power 5 has nothing to do with basketball, or any other sport.  It is purely a football term., and only a football term.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
Yes it was.

No it wasn't.  Hell, it was ranked ahead of the Big Ten some of those years and sent 6 teams to the dance.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
Nebraska was in the big 12 before joining the big ten.

Penn State and Rutgers were in the Big East when they were a power conference before joining the big 10.

What is your point?

Those seven schools (NU, NW, Iowa, PSU,  Minn, ILL, Rutgers)  no better than the Horizon league, and probably worse.  That's half the B1G.  Why aren't they mid-major?  (a term that is only meant to insultandnothing else)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »
Bleacher Report is the Savannah State of sports journalism.

And I probably should turn right around and apologize to Savannah State.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
The Big East may not be a power conference, but it is an elite basketball conference - unlike any other non-football league in the NCAA.  It is home to several NCAA Champions (Marquette included), numerous prestigious basketball programs, all in major media markets on the east coast and midwest.  It is, without question, the best non-football conference in the country and, statistically speaking, is one of the top basketball conferences in the country.

Just because ESPN tried to literally destroy the former incarnation of the Big East does not mean the conference is a mid-major.  Yes, the top sports network in the world does not carry the league.  No, it has not had any negative effect on recruiting or exposure.  The conference had 6 bids last year, has one of the top prospects in the country (Ellenson) coming in, and just nabbed one of the top assistant coaches/recruiters in the country at St. Johns (Slice).

Marquette's, the Big East's and all the schools in the conference have extremely bright futures.  I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride.   8-)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
"Mid-major" is meant to be a insult.  That is why the phrase brings up so many emotions.

Besides their no such official designation as mid-major.  

So it means whatever you want it to mean and how much you want to insult someone.

There is actually.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

okay not "super offical" But they do have coaches and such voting on it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »
Those seven schools (NU, NW, Iowa, PSU,  Minn, ILL, Rutgers)  no better than the Horizon league, and probably worse.  That's half the B1G.  Why aren't they mid-major?  (a term that is only meant to insultandnothing else)
You can have mid-major schools in a major conference. You, also can have a major basketball school in a mid-major conference. Gonzaga would be an example of that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
There is actually.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

okay not "super offical" But they do have coaches and such voting on it.

Nice find! 

No big east schools on the list (no Nova, which would be #1 or #2).  It is settled for the rest of time.  The Big East is not a mid-major conference.

The mods can no lock this thread.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 12:07:51 PM »
It is a bit of a backhanded slap, but it doesn't say that either MU or the Big East is a mid-major.  It just says most top prospects go to one of the five major conferences.  There is a power 5 (albeit more relevant for football purposes) and the Big East is not part of it.  Of the players in ESPN's top 20 recruits for 2015, only Ellenson and Brunson (Nova) are going to a school not in a power 5 conference, although it's not like any other single conference is really dominating the list either.  If there's any disrespect to complain about it should be that they rank Ellenson only 11th best.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »

The Big East is not remotely close to being a mid major. Every school is very desirable from an academic standpoint and the basketball history and tradition of all schools are well developed. It is not part of the Power 5 because of football. Yet all our schools are competing and winning on top recruits.

When we play schools like Arizona State. Tennessee or Georgia Tech, go look at their local media, they consider  playing us a very important game.

Over time I believe people will come to value our double round format and the rivalries it is already creating. The name recognition of opposing teams and coaches builds over time as well which only adds fuel to the fire. I am delighted we are in the Big East.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
It's Bleacher Report. It's a site that built itself on luring hack wannabes and college kids willing to work for free just to pretend they're sports writers. BR hung ads on their click bait, list driven drivel and eventually drummed up enough money to hire some real writers and stick themselves on Sirius XM and such. That doesn't mean the network itself doesn't still "employ" hordes of volunteer knuckledraggers. As the quote rolls: "No man but a blockhead ever wrote expect for money."

You may read BR stories if you wish. I would rather read Cat Fancy published in Lithuanian.

John Scott Lewinski
www.lewinskiwrites.com