[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN 1000 (Chicago) On Why No One Wants The Illinois Job  (Read 8028 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: ESPN 1000 (Chicago) On Why No One Wants The Illinois Job
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
Since Henson left, everyone at UI has either left for greener pastures or been fired. Similar to Marquette since Hank stepped down. As far as MSU, what I mean to illustrate there is that one guy can build a dynasty if it's the job they want. Heathcote was fine, but his legacy was pretty much Earvin Johnson and that's it. They are more prominent now under Izzo than they ever were before, and it's because Izzo wanted to stay. Same with Duke. They had some success before K, but he was the reason they became a premier program.

As far as true blue bloods...Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, and UCLA are the 6 I feel are locks for that status. Louisville, Georgetown, Michigan State, Texas, and maybe Syracuse are in that next tier. Schools like Marquette, Illinois, Memphis, UConn, Wisconsin, and Florida are the types that could be destinations for the right person. Also...KU may have been a stepping stone for Roy, but only to another blue blood. It's not like he'd have left for any job but UNC.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
Since Henson left, everyone at UI has either left for greener pastures or been fired. Similar to Marquette since Hank stepped down. As far as MSU, what I mean to illustrate there is that one guy can build a dynasty if it's the job they want. Heathcote was fine, but his legacy was pretty much Earvin Johnson and that's it. They are more prominent now under Izzo than they ever were before, and it's because Izzo wanted to stay. Same with Duke. They had some success before K, but he was the reason they became a premier program.

As far as true blue bloods...Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, and UCLA are the 6 I feel are locks for that status. Louisville, Georgetown, Michigan State, Texas, and maybe Syracuse are in that next tier. Schools like Marquette, Illinois, Memphis, UConn, Wisconsin, and Florida are the types that could be destinations for the right person. Also...KU may have been a stepping stone for Roy, but only to another blue blood. It's not like he'd have left for any job but UNC.

But that's only 3 guys. Also, Self left for his dream job at Kansas much like Williams left for his dream job at UNC. If not for UNC opening up, Roy will still be at KU and Self would likely still be in Champaign.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
And for Marquette, since Hank, it's only 5 (pre-Buzz). Majerus, Dukiet, and Deane were dumped, O'Neill and Crean used us as a stepping stone. And either way, once is chance, twice is coincidence, and 3 times is a trend. Tell me, who views Illinois as a destination? Who dreams at night of Champaign? Not many. There are some out there, but if they were a destination, they wouldn't have a vacancy anymore. And when your top choices all say no, the odds are the guys that are left are probably just looking for the next move up the ladder. That's why they should look either for a top assistant that might view UI as his best shot or a guy like Theus that actually wants the job, because it's becoming clear most people don't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
Weber didn't see Illinois as a stepping-stone job. That was his dream job. But fans/donors/alums/etc considered him a nightmare so he had to go. As usual, loyalty only goes one way. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is. And the same would be true at Marquette with Buzz should the team inexplicably go downhill. We want Buzz to be loyal to us but we wouldn't be loyal to him if he turns into Bob Dukiet. (He won't; just making a point.)

If Illinois really is a stepping-stone job -- as it clearly was for Kruger and Self -- so what? A coach isn't going to go to the NBA or to one of the truly elite college programs unless he does a kick-ass job at Illinois. Kruger and, especially, Self absolutely left the program in considerably better shape than when he arrived. Self built a national finalist team (as coached by Weber). Kruger didn't try real hard to recruit Chicago, but Self did a nice job there. He wasn't afraid to take the job because of the Chicago "cesspool." I doubt Buzz would go there, but if he was interested, I doubt he would be intimidated by Chicago's prep/AAU scene.

If I'm an Illinois fan, sure, I'd love it if the next Roy Williams or Coach K would come there and stay forever. But that's probably unrealistic. Maybe I'd get lucky with an Izzo -- a guy who just loves the program so much he'd never leave. Short of that, I'd be perfectly happy to have another Bill Self, a young but established guy on the way up. If he turns into the next Izzo, fan-freakin-tastic. If he turns into the next Self, that would be great, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
There are about 6-10 "royalty jobs" in college hoops.

Every other coaching job is a stepping stone unless you find the perfect match (Bo Ryan for example).

The best MU can do is to be good enough that the only reason to leave is for a top 10 job, or an NBA gig.

MU prob. isn't there yet, but it's not an unreasonable goal.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
Hey, if Buzz (TX boy) bolts for SMU and his homies, let's bring Bruce Weber back to his roots!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
Hey, if Buzz (TX boy) bolts for SMU and his homies, let's bring Bruce Weber back to his roots!

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

+1

I have a very short list of names I'd actually want. Bruce may be a nice guy and decent recruiter, but I don't think he's much of a coach.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Bruce Weber has no control over anything.  His players walk all over him.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »
+1

I have a very short list of names I'd actually want. Bruce may be a nice guy and decent recruiter, but I don't think he's much of a coach.
Totally agree. Weber is an assistant

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
Obviously Butler and VCU are destination jobs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
There are about 6-10 "royalty jobs" in college hoops.

Every other coaching job is a stepping stone unless you find the perfect match (Bo Ryan for example).

The best MU can do is to be good enough that the only reason to leave is for a top 10 job, or an NBA gig.

MU prob. isn't there yet, but it's not an unreasonable goal.

Excellent point. No real college basketball follower ever would suggest that Wisconsin is a "destination job." But Bo has made it his fiefdom. He is comfortable there, he wins and the folks there like him. One would think he can stay there as long as he produces, and one would think that scenario is fine with him.

Maybe the next Illinois coach will settle in just like that. Maybe Buzz and Marquette will have that same kind of situation. Or maybe not. The only sure thing is that none of us can control any of this, so we should try real hard to not let it consume us.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Money, success, comfortability.

Successful coaches can make good money and have good job security at non BCS league schools and mid majors.  VCU and Butler have been Final Four caliber.  They get to do this by dominating weaker leagues.  More job security and good money.  Sought after coaches can be more choosy.

Money has gotten a lot better at successful mid majors.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:03:06 PM by shoothoops »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
Obviously Butler and VCU are destination jobs.

That, and they stayed because the internet message board posters emailed them their support, and their President and AD weren't in cahoots, hatching a meticulously crafted master plan to undermine the basketball program to shift the focus to academics. 

Sure, that sounds about right. 

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
I would imagine if Buzz is truly that upset, he would at least listen to Illinois.  And for that reason this whole thing doesn't really worry me.  If Buzz is really that bent out of shape about his relationships at MU and wants to bolt, there are certainly a lot worse places to land than Illinois.

I'm oblivious to why Buzz is mad. Is it the fans?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
Buzz and Anthony Grant were also rumored but that went no where. There was also the Reggie Theus rumor that I believe was started by Reggie Theus.

At this rate, Reggie Theus is going to be the best candidate if they keep getting shot down.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
Sometines it is just time for coaches to move on. Fans usually have unrealistic expectations and teams success often goes up and down. Back in Febraury everyone on the Louisville site wanted to run Pitino out of town. He was past his prime and could no longer coach according to them.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
Weber was very interested in the MU job when Crean left.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Bruce Weber would not be a good hire.

I got to know him well and like him as a person. Very honorable man. But he is not the coach today's kids want to play for. He would be perfect to return to SIU, where they would love him, or to be a top assistant for a major program.

Thankfully, Buzz isn't going anywhere so as far as MU is concerned, Weber is a non-factor. I still say we should try to steal Jerrance Howard from Illinois if he isn't immediately retained by the new coach there. Incredible recruiter with head-coaching potential down the road.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
Bruce Weber would not be a good hire.

I got to know him well and like him as a person. Very honorable man. But he is not the coach today's kids want to play for. He would be perfect to return to SIU, where they would love him, or to be a top assistant for a major program.

Thankfully, Buzz isn't going anywhere so as far as MU is concerned, Weber is a non-factor. I still say we should try to steal Jerrance Howard from Illinois if he isn't immediately retained by the new coach there. Incredible recruiter with head-coaching potential down the road.

Besides Rivers and Weber, who else you tight with? Just axing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »
Heard that the large buy out got in the way of Buzz taking the Oklahoma or A and M job last year. Also that SMU projects Coach's salary at a max of one million bucks. Also that Benford might be a candidate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »

Besides Rivers and Weber, who else you tight with? Just axing.

Legit question. I sound like quite the name-dropper. I don't like when others do that, so I should stop.

Not really "tight" with either, but I can have a friendly conversation with either. I got to know Rivers quite well when we both were at MU and later talked to him dozens of times in my job as a sportswriter. I covered Illinois during Weber's first several years there. I was never a sportswriter who became friends with my subjects, but I did have many whose company I enjoyed (and I hope the feeling was mutual).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
Legit question. I sound like quite the name-dropper. I don't like when others do that, so I should stop.

Not really "tight" with either, but I can have a friendly conversation with either. I got to know Rivers quite well when we both were at MU and later talked to him dozens of times in my job as a sportswriter. I covered Illinois during Weber's first several years there. I was never a sportswriter who became friends with my subjects, but I did have many whose company I enjoyed (and I hope the feeling was mutual).

Brian Hanley? Is that you?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
No, but ... name-dropper alert ... Brian is a friend of mine.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
No, but ... name-dropper alert ... Brian is a friend of mine.

Disappointed.  Print journalist yourself?