'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Louisville's White Out  (Read 6610 times)

MarsupialMadness

• All American
Re: Louisville's White Out
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
I agree that MU could definitely do a better job branding the program, and I think they need to continue to focus on connecting with alums.  However, I never want to be like UW or any other massive school with tens of thousands of fans who aren't really fans.  Would it benefit the program financially by selling more gear and tickets to the average basketball fan?  Yes.  Would it be best for MU in the long term, i am not sure.  You are always going to get people who like basketball and attach to the program when we are good and then ditch at a down year, but if you mean that we should specifically market to non-alums to generate support in the local community, i don't know if i like that.  I think it takes away from the current MU identity.

One of the biggest things that I love about MU is no matter where I meet MU fans, there is a 90% possibility that they or their spouse went to the school.  I could care less about seeing MU advertised everywhere, like UW gear is EVERYWHERE in Wisconsin.  Right now, i can place a pretty confident bet that if I see someone in MU gear, especially out of the Milwaukee area, they are an Alum.  There is nothing cooler than being 1000 miles from Milwaukee and meet a fellow alum and have a connection.  Sometimes less is more. 

Great point, I never thought about it like that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
I agree that MU could definitely do a better job branding the program, and I think they need to continue to focus on connecting with alums.  However, I never want to be like UW or any other massive school with tens of thousands of fans who aren't really fans.  Would it benefit the program financially by selling more gear and tickets to the average basketball fan?  Yes.  Would it be best for MU in the long term, i am not sure.  You are always going to get people who like basketball and attach to the program when we are good and then ditch at a down year, but if you mean that we should specifically market to non-alums to generate support in the local community, i don't know if i like that.  I think it takes away from the current MU identity.

One of the biggest things that I love about MU is no matter where I meet MU fans, there is a 90% possibility that they or their spouse went to the school.  I could care less about seeing MU advertised everywhere, like UW gear is EVERYWHERE in Wisconsin.  Right now, i can place a pretty confident bet that if I see someone in MU gear, especially out of the Milwaukee area, they are an Alum.  There is nothing cooler than being 1000 miles from Milwaukee and meet a fellow alum and have a connection.  Sometimes less is more. 

Excellent point.  That is certainly something a Notre Dame grad will never have. 
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
I actually prefer the dark blue shirt.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
Godd*mn there are a bunch of whiny babies on this board. Marquette's game experience is SECOND TO NONE and you're all complaining because you aren't getting free stuff? Give me a break! Need I remind you that the stuff they have given out recently was a bunch of CRAP? Replica rings? Fr. Wild bobbleheads? Those 1974 reunion shirts were awful.

Here's another thing to chew on....gold outs, or white outs or red outs or blue outs...are PLAYED OUT. They're lame as hell. What makes you think wearing what everybody else is wearing makes you more of a fan than somebody wearing a white shirt as opposed to a gold one? It's pathetic and an ESPN mentality.

Also, the person who mentioned coverage in the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times...ummm, you don't think it's because the sports staffs at those papers are a fraction of what they were, do you? Or that Dan McGrath (Tribune) and Brian Hanley (Sun-Times) are no longer employed by those papers?

Come on, people!! There is ALWAYS something to complain about!!!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »
However, I never want to be like UW or any other massive school with tens of thousands of fans who aren't really fans.  Would it benefit the program financially by selling more gear and tickets to the average basketball fan?  Yes.  Would it be best for MU in the long term, i am not sure.  You are always going to get people who like basketball and attach to the program when we are good and then ditch at a down year, but if you mean that we should specifically market to non-alums to generate support in the local community, i don't know if i like that.  I think it takes away from the current MU identity.

Abode, you might make a good writer, but I hope you aren't in charge of marketing/advertising anywhere.

So your strategy would be to try and find a niche audience possible - in this case alumni, or, upper-class white suburbanites - and keep trying to build the brand exclusively through that group - a group that is ALREADY convinced that MU is good/nice/popular - in the goal of keeping said program's popularity confined to ONLY that group? Why not take it a step further? Why not sell Marquette gear ONLY on campus? I mean, the last thing you want is some kid who ISN'T EVEN IN COLLEGE YET (!) wearing your schools logo and advertising it anywhere. I mean? That kid didn't earn his degree yet, why should he be allowed to like the program? Same with the professors who don't have a degree from MU. Screw you guys!!! You are lucky we let you teach here!

I'm guessing, Abode, that you are an Arcade Fire fan still pissed off how popular they are now.

Seriously. In the words of the principal from Billy Madison, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
Maybe Chico's Bail Bonds can sponsor the "Gold" out?
SS Marquette

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
Also, MU should take down their website. If people want to learn about who MU is...get on a g#dd#mned bus/trane/plane/car and visit the campus!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

I run a marketing department for a university, and I must say that is one of the dumbest marketing theories I have ever read.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
Tonight I'm going to get down on my knees before bed and pray that I never have to see Buzz Williams sweating through a white suit.

Let's also hope he doesn't embrace a gold out like Patino embraced the white out.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »

I run a marketing department for a university, and I must say that is one of the dumbest marketing theories I have ever read.

Wait a second, it's a bad idea to only market to people who are already fans of your product? No wonder you're running a marketing dept!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:41:57 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Biggworm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »

I'm guessing, Abode, that you are an Arcade Fire fan still pissed off how popular they are now.

As opposed to you, who is pissed at a fellow fan because he voiced an opinion.  Nice work with the Billy Madison quote, we've never heard that before

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Abode, you might make a good writer, but I hope you aren't in charge of marketing/advertising anywhere.

So your strategy would be to try and find a niche audience possible - in this case alumni, or, upper-class white suburbanites - and keep trying to build the brand exclusively through that group - a group that is ALREADY convinced that MU is good/nice/popular - in the goal of keeping said program's popularity confined to ONLY that group? Why not take it a step further? Why not sell Marquette gear ONLY on campus? I mean, the last thing you want is some kid who ISN'T EVEN IN COLLEGE YET (!) wearing your schools logo and advertising it anywhere. I mean? That kid didn't earn his degree yet, why should he be allowed to like the program? Same with the professors who don't have a degree from MU. Screw you guys!!! You are lucky we let you teach here!

Seriously. In the words of the principal from Billy Madison, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

1.)  I agreed with you that MU's marketing department needed work on our branding.
2.)  What in my response hinted that I was upset by how popular they are?  Because I said the marketing department should continue to connect with people that already have a connection with the University?  Average basketball fans will buy gear and come to games only as long as MU is good at basketball.  If they start losing, they will move onto another school and won't give a crap. 
3.)  My main point was that i hope they don't change the identity of what I think MU is.  Marquette does not have 50,000 students like UW.  The people that travel for the team (like i have extensively) and come to games on a regular basis are true fans.  What makes MU great is that it's big enough not have to encounter d**cks like you on a regular basis, yet small enough where you can get a real sense of community.  My opinion may be different than yours but that's why they call it an opinion.  I never tried to provide facts supporting what i think. 

Thanks?  This is how this board spirals into bickering.  If you don't agree, great.  I don't care about your credentials or how smart you are.  I am not trying to debate what marketing theory will work best.  I was just giving what I think.  That's what this board is about. 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
Adobe - we were also giving our opinions too. We are allowed to do that. It's not bickering, it's called counter-point to your point.

"What makes MU great is that it's big enough not have to encounter d**cks like you on a regular basis, yet small enough where you can get a real sense of community."

I don't have any idea what that even means. I think it makes my point of seeming to want to keep MU as a tight-knit group of fans and not having anyone else who doesn't pass your litmus test of being a "true fan" into the realm. All I'm saying is...you CAN have it both ways. You CAN keep the spirit of community with the alums and big fans and STILL try to get more people onboard with your program.

From a strictly "successful program" standpoint - yes, that can be subjective..."what is successful?" but I digress - wouldn't you rather have more people supporting the program somewhat than just a small group of people who are all-in?

Back to my original counterpoint - while you may not like people you see as "bandwagon" or "not true fans" wearing MU stuff...I say who cares. Get the MU brand out there. The more the merrier. As long as MU doesn't water down their academic standards to placate a now larger audience that's interested in its product, all is well. Look at MU's application count since the hoops program got consistently successful. As the hoops team goes (and the 2-hour commercials for MU on ESPN go), so goes MU's popularity and coffers.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »

Here's another thing to chew on....gold outs, or white outs or red outs or blue outs...are PLAYED OUT. They're lame as hell. What makes you think wearing what everybody else is wearing makes you more of a fan than somebody wearing a white shirt as opposed to a gold one? It's pathetic and an ESPN mentality.

Also, the person who mentioned coverage in the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times...ummm, you don't think it's because the sports staffs at those papers are a fraction of what they were, do you? Or that Dan McGrath (Tribune) and Brian Hanley (Sun-Times) are no longer employed by those papers?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
Adobe - we were also giving our opinions too. We are allowed to do that. It's not bickering, it's called counter-point to your point.

"What makes MU great is that it's big enough not have to encounter d**cks like you on a regular basis, yet small enough where you can get a real sense of community."

I don't have any idea what that even means. I think it makes my point of seeming to want to keep MU as a tight-knit group of fans and not having anyone else who doesn't pass your litmus test of being a "true fan" into the realm. All I'm saying is...you CAN have it both ways. You CAN keep the spirit of community with the alums and big fans and STILL try to get more people onboard with your program.

From a strictly "successful program" standpoint - yes, that can be subjective..."what is successful?" but I digress - wouldn't you rather have more people supporting the program somewhat than just a small group of people who are all-in?

Back to my original counterpoint - while you may not like people you see as "bandwagon" or "not true fans" wearing MU stuff...I say who cares. Get the MU brand out there. The more the merrier. As long as MU doesn't water down their academic standards to placate a now larger audience that's interested in its product, all is well. Look at MU's application count since the hoops program got consistently successful. As the hoops team goes (and the 2-hour commercials for MU on ESPN go), so goes MU's popularity and coffers.

Exactly.  I am not sure how Marquette expanding its fan base to include more "casual fans" would ruin any "hard core" fans experience.  Why would it upset someone if, instead of the non-alumni fans of UW walking around in Badger clothing, that non-alum Marquette fans were walking around in Warrior gear?  The more popular the program is, the more we get games on premier channels, the more press we would get locally, the more attendance we would get, etc.  That's a good thing.

And how exactly would that be harmful?  Because you are no longer certain the random fan you meet on the street is an alum and has the same degree of connection to the school?  Who cares?

When I came to the institution I work for, a lot of people took pride in being "the best kept secret."  That's dumb.  It is a terrible way to market yourself to alumni, to prospective students, and to the general public.  You tell your story.  You get the points of pride out there.  If more people are talking about *your* school, it should make you feel good that *you* are associated with that school.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

Wow,

It is just that kind of arrogance that turns so many people off to the program. Want to know why we don't get respect in the local newspaper, read the above remarks. One of the things that makes Marquette great is that it is an important part of the community. We should have more support from the area not less. I know you are entitled to your opinion, but i am entitled to tell you how ridiculous, arrogant and elitist it is.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
I guess the way that I look at it is that the further we can expand the brand, the more we have an opportunity to share what the 'Marquette family' is all about.  For those that consider joining us on any level, fantastic.  One example is our participation in the BEast.  Now, more than ever, high school kids from the northeast are actually giving MU a look and many more are deciding to make it their home for 4 years.  What I don't want to do though is water down what Marquette represents and stands for.  Our beloved institution isn't supposed to be all things for all people.

That said, I do understand the point that when I meet a guy with a MU tee shirt on while on a Caribbean cruise that he's probably an alumni and we immediately share something in common.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Godd*mn there are a bunch of whiny babies on this board. Marquette's game experience is SECOND TO NONE and you're all complaining because you aren't getting free stuff? Give me a break! Need I remind you that the stuff they have given out recently was a bunch of CRAP? Replica rings? Fr. Wild bobbleheads? Those 1974 reunion shirts were awful.

Ah. The PuertoRican Contrarian. "There is ALWAYS something to complain about!!" And you are one of the biggest whiners and so arrogant and above the "ESPN mentality people."

Re coverage in the Chicago press, it is our 2nd largest alumni market and a prime recruiting market for HS BB talent. You are like so many marketing-uneducated types that think "press" just happens, or now there is a cutback in reporters so "what can you do." The MU staffers need to get out and sell stories. That is what good PR people do. You nailed it. When we had some alums with the Chi press, MU got by. Now, MU might have to work...you draw the conclusion as to if they are. I saw the results in last Sunday mornings paper with no coverage in the ChiTrib after beating Cincinnati.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »

I actually prefer fans that are not alums as they chose to like marquette without any connection to the university, and they are usually not nearly as smug as the 90 percent of MU alumns who i run into. 
For instance, this year I got a part time job after teaching driving the Airport Van for Fast Park.  I cant tell you how many times people find out that I am an MU fan and say something like "I take it your BROTHER or SISTER went to Marquette"  No dumb crap I went to Marquette and just because I have a part time job that doesnt require a college degree, doesnt mean that I did not go to Marquette.   We also tend to be the worst tippers.  Plenty of times do I see Business men with MU license plates give me no tip after lifting their bags to and from the car. 

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
I guess the way that I look at it is that the further we can expand the brand, the more we have an opportunity to share what the 'Marquette family' is all about.  For those that consider joining us on any level, fantastic.  One example is our participation in the BEast.  Now, more than ever, high school kids from the northeast are actually giving MU a look and many more are deciding to make it their home for 4 years.  What I don't want to do though is water down what Marquette represents and stands for.  Our beloved institution isn't supposed to be all things for all people.

That said, I do understand the point that when I meet a guy with a MU tee shirt on while on a Caribbean cruise that he's probably an alumni and we immediately share something in common.

I apologize if my first comments came off as elitist or smug or anything else like that.  This quote i agree with.  I never meant to say that we should exclude this type of people or that type.  My main point was that Marquette has a special brand right now.  I can't really describe it, but traveling for tournaments and road games over the past few years, you could feel it.  Or maybe i am just crazy, and that's fine too.

Yes there are things that can be done better to enhance the experience and reach out to more people, but i don't think getting more people to wear mu gear that they bought at places other than Kohl's or the spirit shop is necessarily going to enhance our brand.  Right now we have a pretty good thing, and if there are attempts to change that, i just hope it doesn't screw it up. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »
The only marketing that Marquette needs is WINNING!!!  Winning covers up any type of bad marketing in the past and we become must see TV.  The other and probably most important thing is that we need the Badgers to start sucking again.  4 white guys playing slow down ball plays really well with a majority white state.  If wisconsin starts sucking, people tend want to jump to the next thing to fill that Void and we are that void!!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
Alabama last night versus Florida had an white out.
Put a t-shirt on every seat and most of the fans didn't put the shirt on.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
The only marketing that Marquette needs is WINNING!!!  Winning covers up any type of bad marketing in the past and we become must see TV. 

Tell that to Notre Dame football. They have been irrelevent since 1990 yet have a major TV deal for their own network. Now...I'm not dumb enough to think MU is ND...but I'm using them to make a point.

Much like a tree falling in the woods with nobody there to hear it...If a team wins 20+ games and makes the NCAA consistently yet still doesn't build a ton of coverage/press/fans as they possibly could...did it really happen, or better yet, did the winning make a difference?

I agree 100% you need the winning first and foremost. But you need a little more too. Good topic though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
Tell that to Notre Dame football. They have been irrelevent since 1990 yet have a major TV deal for their own network. Now...I'm not dumb enough to think MU is ND...but I'm using them to make a point.

Their network television deal isn't "major."  I think every BCS conference but the Big East makes more money per team on television revenue than Notre Dame does.

LON

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
If you don't have cable I suppose you could call ND's NBC deal major.

feedback