collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?  (Read 39393 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
How do you know?

Oh, don't tell me you're one of those people who believe the members of Gwar are just regular human beings in costume, and not interstellar warriors from the farthest reaches of outer space.
#fakenews

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
There could be a lot more, but we are gentlemen.  Chrissie Hynde for example.  But who cares?  She is fantastic.  IF you are good enough, your looks won't stop you.

I think on the other end of the spectrum is where your point makes sense.  There are a lot more attractive but relatively untalented women (like Jessica Simpson, Katie Perry and Brittany Spears) selling records than there are male counterparts (although there are boy bands for that.)

Please.  This is Chrissy Hynde as a young person who wasn't trying to actively develop a punk look and attitude:

This is Pete Townshend

You cannot tell me that the female equivalent of Pete Townshend would ever get a record deal as a solo artist, at least not without having to submit herself to a major makeover (and probably surgery). 
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
Hynde though didn't get a record deal until her late 20s though.

But yeah your point stands.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2018, 01:04:04 PM »
There could be a lot more, but we are gentlemen.  Chrissie Hynde for example.  But who cares?  She is fantastic.  IF you are good enough, your looks won't stop you.

I think on the other end of the spectrum is where your point makes sense.  There are a lot more attractive but relatively untalented women (like Jessica Simpson, Katie Perry and Brittany Spears) selling records than there are male counterparts (although there are boy bands for that.)

I'm no Katy Perry fan, but she is 100 times more vocally talented than Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears(especially Spears). The doublestandard in the music industry was as long as you were vocally talent as a male you could get a deal regardless of your appearance, whereas with relatively few exceptions you had to have an appealing appearance to get a record deal as a female, but a female could get a deal at a lower level of vocal talent if they fit the right "demographics".
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
Do you hear what I hear.

If you were alive during the Cuban Missile crisis you know and understand the power of this Prayer put to music.

https://www.franciscanmedia.org/do-you-hear-what-i-hear-the-story-behind-the-song/

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2018, 01:10:52 PM »
I'm no Katy Perry fan, but she is 100 times more vocally talented than Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears(especially Spears). The doublestandard in the music industry was as long as you were vocally talent as a male you could get a deal regardless of your appearance, whereas with relatively few exceptions you had to have an appealing appearance to get a record deal as a female, but a female could get a deal at a lower level of vocal talent if they fit the right "demographics".

I said "relatively".  I suspect there are 1000s of more talented singers than Katy Perry who are not making millions singing.  Katy Perry can sing just fine (I agree she is much better than the other two I mentioned), but she would not be a popular recording artist if she was not very attractive.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
Please.  This is Chrissy Hynde as a young person who wasn't trying to actively develop a punk look and attitude:

This is Pete Townshend

You cannot tell me that the female equivalent of Pete Townshend would ever get a record deal as a solo artist, at least not without having to submit herself to a major makeover (and probably surgery).

Pete Townshend was the only guy in The Who?????  I had no idea.  I thought there were other guys.  I guess my thoughts were over the moon again. 

His solo career as after he was already a legend.  Not quite the same thing right?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:45:05 PM by buckchuckler »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Pete Townshend was the only guy in The Who?????  I had no idea.  I thought there were other guys.  I guess my thoughts were over the moon again. 

His solo career as after he was already a legend.  Not quite the same thing right?

Are there any women in rock music that are unattractive as he is?
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
I said "relatively".  I suspect there are 1000s of more talented singers than Katy Perry who are not making millions singing.  Katy Perry can sing just fine (I agree she is much better than the other two I mentioned), but she would not be a popular recording artist if she was not very attractive.

I'm certainly not going to get in a fight with a respected poster such as yourself over Katy Perry cause lord knows I'm not a huge fan of her music but we'll have to agree to disagree because I think vocally she's just as talented as most active singers right now.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »

Attraction can be pretty subjective, and I hate to be judgy about others' looks, but Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, k.d. lang, Tracy Chapman and Amy Winehouse aren't exactly supermodel material.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »

Poor Pete, so he's got a giant schnozz?

Are these any better examples for females: Adele, Cher, Sinead, Imogen Heap, Lil Kim or maybe Susan Boyle?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
Prince definitely does not belong on an ugly rock stars list. Sounds to me like he intimated you a little bit.  ;)

Dude was ugly as sin, not to mention disproportional.  Had a 7' face on a 5' body with a 6' wingspan.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
Poor Pete, so he's got a giant schnozz?

Are these any better examples for females: Adele, Cher, Sinead, Imogen Heap, Lil Kim or maybe Susan Boyle?

Adele is very attractive.  She might be too curvy for your taste, but that doesn't make her ugly.

Cher is gorgeous, and except for some crooked teeth she had at the beginning, always was.

Sinead is beautiful; you just don't like the way she wears her hair.

I don't know who Imogen Heap is, but needless to say is not a star.

Lil Kim started out as very attractive; I don't think she has been as popular since she started seriously messing with her body.

Susan Boyle is not a rock star, and would have never been signed to a label if she hadn't been a star on a reality show that used her unattractiveness for shock value.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Adele is very attractive.  She might be too curvy for your taste, but that doesn't make her ugly.

Yeah I think she's pretty decent.  Plus if you break up with her, she writes an entire album about you! 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Yeah I think she's pretty decent.  Plus if you break up with her, she writes an entire album about you!

The newest iteration of Tracy Ullman's show has a great bit where Adele is happy and trying to record crappy songs about puppies and rainbows, so her producer and manager purposely try to introduce some misery into her life.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »

Cher is gorgeous, and except for some crooked teeth she had at the beginning, always was.

Lil Kim started out as very attractive; I don't think she has been as popular since she started seriously messing with her body.

Susan Boyle is not a rock star, and would have never been signed to a label if she hadn't been a star on a reality show that used her unattractiveness for shock value.

Yeah these are unwinnable arguments because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could put a wig on Sinead or give me 60s Cher and I'd walk right on by but that in no way says they aren't good looking.

Great example is Lady Gaga or Amy Winehouse. There are people who would find them in their "native state" very attractive while repulsed by their stage appearance, or the opposite, or people who like both. So were they successful because they were attractive or because of their talent or both....no way to know.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
Did I miss George Thorogood?  If not it’s like naming mountains and forgetting Everest.

Also, Sinead is drop dead gorgeous with hair.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »

Any women in rock that play guitar like he does?  Any that write songs like he does, and not just singles, but complete albums?

And that still ignores that he didn't get a "solo deal" until he had legend status. 

There are few people as accomplished in rock at old Pete.  He is not a just a "singer".

Also, Pete's frontman...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:06:27 PM by buckchuckler »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »

She has Pete's nose FFS! She could be his sister.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Young to middle aged Roger Waters was ugly and goofy looking.  He finally grew into his features around age 60.   ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Do you hear what I hear.

If you were alive during the Cuban Missile crisis you know and understand the power of this Prayer put to music.

https://www.franciscanmedia.org/do-you-hear-what-i-hear-the-story-behind-the-song/

I always liked this song, but hearing the story behind it last year was unbelievable.  Cant listen to it the same way, but it is more beautiful now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »

Going to disagree that it's the hair

Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »

It's possible to completely understand the historical context of this song but at the same time snicker about it since it comes off as a little date-rapey.

I agree that one might snicker but Benny (usually our most logical poster) and his minions are over the top bat spit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
Can't help but notice how much shorter this list is.

#doublestandard

Should be shorter - the list of female rock stars is also.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
Going to disagree that it's the hair

How about now?

Have some patience, FFS.