collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 74347 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
As an StL fan, I was impressed the way the Brewers played the Cardinals. They are a good squad and are for real. I still think, barring any further injuries, the division is ours to lose. Pujols has had the slowest first 2 months of his career, and is just now finally coming around. Holliday has been on the DL the entire month. When he gets back, we'll be fine. Barring further injury, we win the division.

That being said, I think the Wild Card comes out of the central. It will be both the Cards and Brewers.

Side note, I love that no matter who ends up winning the division, its the Cardinals who are neck and neck with them (if the Cardinals don't win it themselves, which they have 7 times, which is 7 more times than the Brewers). Last year it was the Reds, but the Cardinals still won 86 games and were right there with the Reds until the end.

The only thing that irks me is that the Brewers go a half game up over the Cards, who have been leading the division for almost a month, and all of these fans come out of the woodwork saying how the division is wrapped up and theres no way the Brewers can be stopped. Give me a break. They are a good squad, but its June.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »
The only thing that irks me is that the Brewers go a half game up over the Cards, who have been leading the division for almost a month, and all of these fans come out of the woodwork saying how the division is wrapped up and theres no way the Brewers can be stopped. Give me a break. They are a good squad, but its June.

Ha! How soon they forget.

June 14, 2007
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/date/20070614

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #352 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
The Brewers away from Miller Park are 13-20.  I'm not sure they will see any JV teams on the road.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #353 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
Terming them "JV games" sort of implied it.

Oh I definitely meant the cubs were inferior.  Been eating a bit of crow as I watched the last two games in downtown Chicago as the only brewers fan in the bar.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
Apparently Prince Fielder is so good, that he is going to be both the 1st and 10th best FA this coming off season...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_10_degrees_prince_fielder_free_agent_spending_061411

1. Prince Fielder, one agent said, “would get more than anyone.” It’s a bold prediction, though one that, upon examination, makes sense.

Here is the agent’s theory: While Albert Pujols(notes) remains a more talented player than Fielder – marginally so, but still enough that he should receive more on the open market – few in baseball see him leaving St. Louis. And should the Cardinals see Pujols’ struggles as the first sign of a descent and drop their offer below $200 million, Fielder’s willingness to seek the highest bidder could result in the sort of salary spike Boras excels at orchestrating.

The agent’s guess: eight years, $200 million, which would make him the second $200 million man, or maybe the third, depending on how the …

10. Prince Fielder grew into this season. Fielder’s dip in strikeout rate, from 23.9 percent of his at-bats last year to 13.1 percent this year, indicates a maturing hitter, one who has found that power and contact can coexist harmoniously.

Still.

It’s just that, for $200 million, a team can’t go after a player whose defining characteristic isn’t his power or his newfound skill but his weight. The media guide lists Fielder at 5-foot-11, 275 pounds. Each number is kind.

Power hitters, especially big ones with no defensive value because of their position, do not age gracefully. And that archetype fits everything about Fielder.

Now that is some quality and intelligent keybard work right there.

LON

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 15, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
Oh I definitely meant the cubs were inferior.  Been eating a bit of crow as I watched the last two games in downtown Chicago as the only brewers fan in the bar.

Two straight beautiful starts on the road for the SP's and the bullpen goes ahead and gives it away...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »
I'm already looking forward to the summer of 2018 when Cubs and Brewers fans argue over who's sputtering, big money guy is more overpaid: Braun with the Brewers or Prince with the Cubs.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #357 on: June 15, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
I'm already looking forward to the summer of 2018 when Cubs and Brewers fans argue over who's sputtering, big money guy is more overpaid: Braun with the Brewers or Prince with the Cubs.

I am pumped for the future when our grossly overpaid guy is somebody new. Soriano's had the title for too long already, and he's far from done.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »

This won't happen. Stay far away from Prince, and any other big free agents for 2-3 years.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »
The Cubs haven't won three games in a row all year.  Will they do it today? 

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #360 on: June 15, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
I don't think a single Cubs fan is going to argue that they have a good squad this year, and personally, despite being diehard, this is the earliest I've mentally accepted that no good will come of this season.  That being said, its just amusing that Brewers fans assume they would stroll in for a sweep.  As bad as the Cubs are, the series is tied for the year.

And I'm surprised Gammons could stop gushing over the Red Sox long enough to comment on anything but the AL East.

It's been rather depressing.  All I can hope for is that we somehow climb back to .500 :/  and maybe since we're playing so crummy people can be less vicious to visiting fans @ MP . . .

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #361 on: June 15, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

Probably.  Zambrano is usually solid against the Brewers, and as we all know the Brewers are AWFUL on the road.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVrSZHnvYY

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »
Wrigley sounding a lot like Miller Park south tonight.  That feels so good to say.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
Wrigley sounding a lot like Miller Park south tonight.  That feels so good to say.

Really? Miller Park sounds completely dead?  ;)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #365 on: June 16, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
I can say, even as an optimistic Cubs fan, I in no way expected to take 3 out of 4.  But I will certainly take it.  Not bad for a JV squad...

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #366 on: June 16, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
Really? Miller Park sounds completely dead?  ;)

That's a pretty good point.  Maybe I could hear all the Brewers fans chanting 'Lets Go Brewers!' because they were the only ones there ;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 17, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
That's a pretty good point.  Maybe I could hear all the Brewers fans chanting 'Lets Go Brewers!' because they were the only ones there ;)

Went to the game yesterday... frankly, I saw roughly as many Brewer fans (percentage-wise) there as I have seen Cubs fans at Miller Park recently.  I was told the previous two nights were about the same by some.  Regardless, I can say that - without a doubt - Brewers fans (those who travel) are much less obnoxious than their Cubs counterparts when losing, and are still not as boisterous when winning.

I will say one more thing, however... between the Cubs and Brewers, no one comes close to rivaling these two fanbases when it comes to spewing utter nonsense.  My favorites from yesterday:

Cubs fan [who kept watching the scoreboard and lamenting after every Cubs strikeout or Brewers run about how it doesn't matter "as long as the Sox are losing"]: "The White Sox [fans] hate us, but we don't care about them.  They won a World Series, yet all they care is about how we do.  I don't watch Sox games so they could be in first place for all I know... who cares."

Brewers fan: "$7.00 for a beer?  You guys are crazy.  We'd never pay this in Milwaukee."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
tough break for St. Louis and Pujols (pun intended)  ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Went to the game yesterday... frankly, I saw roughly as many Brewer fans (percentage-wise) there as I have seen Cubs fans at Miller Park recently.  I was told the previous two nights were about the same by some.  Regardless, I can say that - without a doubt - Brewers fans (those who travel) are much less obnoxious than their Cubs counterparts when losing, and are still not as boisterous when winning.

The Cubs-Brewers "rivalry" has certainly died down recently. Each of the past two seasons, both teams were pretty mediocre and this season the Brewers are contenders while the Cubs are so bad that their fanbase basically gives a collective shrug if their team is mocked. If Prince signs with the Cubs this offseason, it could give a slight jolt to things but I honestly think it will be a while before Cubs-Brewers games have any type of "rivalry feel" to them. It was a circumstantial rivalry that seems to have run its course for the time being.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
The Brewers have the worst road record in the NL, and third worst in baseball. They would be running away with the division if they could play.500 the rest of the way on the road. The team is built for Miller. 

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #371 on: July 01, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
The Cubs-Brewers "rivalry" has certainly died down recently. Each of the past two seasons, both teams were pretty mediocre and this season the Brewers are contenders while the Cubs are so bad that their fanbase basically gives a collective shrug if their team is mocked. If Prince signs with the Cubs this offseason, it could give a slight jolt to things but I honestly think it will be a while before Cubs-Brewers games have any type of "rivalry feel" to them. It was a circumstantial rivalry that seems to have run its course for the time being.

I noticed all the empty seats in the bleachers at Wrigley during ESPN highlights.  On a beautiful Thursday afternoon no less. 

Don't tell me Chicago fans aren't bandwagon riders.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
I think it is clear that Cubs fans are deeply pessimistic about pretty much everything about their ballclub.  They stink on the field, their farm system is putrid, their stadium needs some work, their leadership is awful...and the owner doesn't seem to have a clue.

Frankly it is like the Brewers when Selig-Prieb was in charage.  It feels hopeless.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #373 on: July 01, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
I noticed all the empty seats in the bleachers at Wrigley during ESPN highlights.  On a beautiful Thursday afternoon no less. 

Noticed that as well. Attendance has been down significantly this year, but I wonder if the fact that it was the 13th inning and the Cubs were losing and being shut out into the 9th played a role in the crowd size during the highlights.

Announced attendance was over 38,000, which is above average for the year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

The Cubs have been top 10 in attendance every year since 2000 and still are top 10 right now.  Despite an organization that has been as frustrating as any since 2003 and a team right now, that has been mentioned, is in shambles.  Just stop, you sound like a fool.  I didn't realize not having every game be standing room only constituted bandwagon fans.  Did you count the rooftops too?  No, you were probably too busy gleefully running to the computer to pile on criticism.

feedback