collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 74353 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
I never defended him, just that the behavior was commonplace in the 70-80s, Jmayer1.

I never said it was fine to do the greenies.

reading comprehension.

??? What was the point of bringing up that everyone was doing them in the 70's-80's if you werent' defending him. Perhaps you need to write more clearly so that you point comes across.

Please also define your use of the term "boo hoo" as well then, since I obviously can't comprehend what that means either. Typically that would be slang for mock crying or sobbing which would indicate that somebody is bringing up something that you feel isn't a big deal or people are whining about nothing. Of course, that can't be the case, since that would mean you were defending the action and you clearly won't.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
greenies weren't banned by MLB until 2006, not even sure they should have been.  

Increasing testosterone is in a different stratosphere, adjusting hormones to change emotional and physical body composition and increase muscle growth changes a person's natural composition.

That's different than stimulating your congenital central nervous system like people do frequently throughout a day with coffee, chocolate and other products.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:23:15 PM by Stone Cold »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »
??? What was the point of bringing up that everyone was doing them in the 70's-80's if you werent' defending him. Perhaps you need to write more clearly so that you point comes across.

Please also define your use of the term "boo hoo" as well then, since I obviously can't comprehend what that means either. Typically that would be slang for mock crying or sobbing which would indicate that somebody is bringing up something that you feel isn't a big deal or people are whining about nothing. Of course, that can't be the case, since that would mean you were defending the action and you clearly won't.

Boo hoo, like people are crying about it.  Said mockingly as if no one else did greenies.

You know, exactly what I said last post.

I never in anyway passed judgement.  I never said he wasn't a cheater.  But if you really want to get into it, at least Cameron got some punishment for his cheating.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »
Since I never really have an opportunity or reason to post in the 'Scoop's longest thread, I figured I'd take the occasion of last weekend's sweep of the Reds to pop in here and say, Go Tribe!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/04/sports/sp-mariners04

You're really using that as evidence that he ISN'T classy?  Wow, very interesting, considering the opposing team's manager is quoted saying it was a sign of his class.  Very interesting point there.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42781952.html

"All of us were definitely feeling it," Giants pitcher Matt Cain said. "Cameron was definitely feeling it, too. He's got a big heart. We've always known that about him. I'm sure he's just as worried about it as we are."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/95741-milwaukee-brewers-in-the-news-dec-22

So because he chose NOT to swing away at a 3-0 count up 15-3 with already 4 home runs on the day he is NOT classy.  Interesting.  And because he got caught doing illegal drugs.  Definitely automatically classless.  Get a clue before you go and say dumb stuff like that.  Again, he is WIDELY KNOWN as one of the most classy players in baseball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
Since I never really have an opportunity or reason to post in the 'Scoop's longest thread, I figured I'd take the occasion of last weekend's sweep of the Reds to pop in here and say, Go Tribe!

Agreed on that.  They are a fun team.  Should be interesting to see if they can keep going.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
Boo hoo, like people are crying about it.  Said mockingly as if no one else did greenies.

You know, exactly what I said last post.

I never in anyway passed judgement.  I never said he wasn't a cheater.  But if you really want to get into it, at least Cameron got some punishment for his cheating.

Again, what does the fact that anybody else did greenies (when they were legal) have to do with Cameron if you aren't defending him? Clue: nothing, there is no reason to bring that up unless you are trying to defend Cameron's actions.

If I said "Boo hoo, JR Rider cheated in school too" in response to your DRose post, I don't possibly know how that could not be construed as defending him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/04/sports/sp-mariners04

You're really using that as evidence that he ISN'T classy?  Wow, very interesting, considering the opposing team's manager is quoted saying it was a sign of his class.  Very interesting point there.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42781952.html

"All of us were definitely feeling it," Giants pitcher Matt Cain said. "Cameron was definitely feeling it, too. He's got a big heart. We've always known that about him. I'm sure he's just as worried about it as we are."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/95741-milwaukee-brewers-in-the-news-dec-22

So because he chose NOT to swing away at a 3-0 count up 15-3 with already 4 home runs on the day he is NOT classy.  Interesting.  And because he got caught doing illegal drugs.  Definitely automatically classless.  Get a clue before you go and say dumb stuff like that.  Again, he is WIDELY KNOWN as one of the most classy players in baseball.

Its one thing to do it, its another thing to chirp about it.  And the article said "age-old practice", basically he did what everyone else does, or is "supposed to".

And really, a blog from the Journal Sentinel about him feeling bad about lining a ball off another player's head? 

I never said he was one of the games bad guys, but you are stretching here.  By posting items that make him similar to almost every other player in the league, that is far from WIDELY KNOWN.  I follow alot of baseball and have never heard him mentioned as such.  Sorry if I'm not bowing to the Bleacher Report as the end all be all source.

You act like his classiness is well known as Ichiro's hitting prowess or A-Rod's petulance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Its one thing to do it, its another thing to chirp about it.  And the article said "age-old practice", basically he did what everyone else does, or is "supposed to".

And really, a blog from the Journal Sentinel about him feeling bad about lining a ball off another player's head? 

I never said he was one of the games bad guys, but you are stretching here.  By posting items that make him similar to almost every other player in the league, that is far from WIDELY KNOWN.  I follow alot of baseball and have never heard him mentioned as such.  Sorry if I'm not bowing to the Bleacher Report as the end all be all source.

You act like his classiness is well known as Ichiro's hitting prowess or A-Rod's petulance.

Yes, you are supposed to do it.  But when you have hit 4 home runs already in a game and that ties the record, and you face a 3-0 count and are getting a fastball down the middle with the chance to hold the record for yourself, how many players would let that pitch go?  Let's be honest here.  Not many.  You can feel what you want.  I'll take the opposing team manager's opinion over yours.

Also, you're missing the part of the quote that Cain says "He's got a big heart.  We've always known that about him."  Do you see that said about a lot of players in the MLB?  Saying they've always known it about him has nothing to do with his reaction to hitting a pitcher with a liner.  I personally don't see many players saying they know another player has a big heart very often, but maybe I'm wrong.  Again, I will take the opinion of an opposing team player over yours.

It is widely known.  Color commentators mention it all the time about him.  He is a classy guy and people around the league talk about it and know it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Agreed on that.  They are a fun team.  Should be interesting to see if they can keep going.

I've "only" lived in Cleveland for 20 years, but that's long enough to make me somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to professional sports.  I'm really enjoying the season, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm dreading the inevitable day when we're 6 games out and I finally realize that the wheels are completely and irretrievably off.  I really, really hope I'm wrong about that.  I'm happy that they've done this well in spite of some injuries and hardships.  It's been a fun summer so far, and I'll enjoy it as long as I can.  My 14-year-old son is really enjoying it.  I'm hoping it can be something that we can enjoy together and look back on as a really fun summer of baseball.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »

EDIT....forgot the topic.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:42:00 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #286 on: May 24, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »
Five game win streak baby!  Lets keep chasing down those evil Red Birds.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2011, 01:39:05 AM »
Five game win streak baby!  Lets keep chasing down those evil Red Birds.

Those evil Red Birds have won 8 of 9  ;)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »
It is widely known.  Color commentators mention it all the time about him.  He is a classy guy and people around the league talk about it and know it.

I'll back up wadesworld on this, as it is routinely talked about by those who've been around him. He is widely considered one of the true good guys in the sport.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #289 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Those evil Red Birds have won 8 of 9  ;)

That just means they are due for a slide ;)  Besides, with the MLB version of Al Davis managing right now, it has to become a distraction at some point.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:40:42 AM by mugrad2006 »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #290 on: May 25, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
I feel like this needs to be pointed out:
in the NL marcum is: tied for 7th in era
2nd best winning % as a starter this year (He's 6-1, only Jamie Garcia is better 5-0)
10th in Ks
6th in WHIP
6th in Batting Average

I said he was going to be good.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
After taking 2 out of 3 from the defending world series champs, the Crew is breathing right down the neck of the Cardinals.

Meanwhile the Cubs are....busy getting spanked by the Pirates.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:37 AM »
After taking 2 out of 3 from the defending world series champs, the Crew is breathing right down the neck of the Cardinals.

Meanwhile the Cubs are....busy getting spanked by the Pirates.

Don't worry, neither team will be there in the end.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
Don't worry, neither team will be there in the end.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think this Brewers team will be there in the end.

Started off slow with Hart, Greinke, Morgan, Lucroy, and half our bullpen on the DL. Since getting most of those guys back we have been on a roll. June's schedule is ridiculously tough so we may fall back a bit, but after that watch out.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
So after three weeks, the Brewers, Cardinals and Reds are equally mediocre...and the Clubs slightly less so.
Ah yes, but my Astros can only hope to aspire to mediocrity. The Ownership sale by Drayton McLane to Jim Crane, last week is the only positive, as new owners usually bring needed change/housecleaning.

Would Brew fans take back Carlos Lee, please. This was the only Black free agent Drayton ever gave a big contract to (yes, I'm intimating something), as Drayton liked their mutual interest in cattle raising.  Drayton was a Walmart style owner, ...and this team needs big change.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
Would Brew fans take back Carlos Lee, please. This was the only Black free agent Drayton ever gave a big contract to (yes, I'm intimating something), as Drayton liked their mutual interest in cattle raising.  Drayton was a Walmart style owner, ...and this team needs big change.

Carlos Lee is from Panama.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »
You're kidding yourself if you don't think this Brewers team will be there in the end.

Started off slow with Hart, Greinke, Morgan, Lucroy, and half our bullpen on the DL. Since getting most of those guys back we have been on a roll. June's schedule is ridiculously tough so we may fall back a bit, but after that watch out.

As much as I would prefer the Brewers, I still think the Reds are a better team especially once they get Bailey back and can settle down their pitching.  Offensively, they are pretty much the best hitting team in the NL, Votto and Bruce are monsters, not to mention Phillips.  This is all moot unless the Brewers can find a way to win on the road.  They are the Wisconsin Badgers of the MLB at this point.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
As much as I would prefer the Brewers, I still think the Reds are a better team especially once they get Bailey back and can settle down their pitching.  Offensively, they are pretty much the best hitting team in the NL, Votto and Bruce are monsters, not to mention Phillips.  This is all moot unless the Brewers can find a way to win on the road.  They are the Wisconsin Badgers of the MLB at this point.

Consider that the Reds play 81 games in what is widely considered the best offensive park in the NL... statistically, they may be the better team on offense, but if you could adjust stats for a neutral field setting (which I'm sure someone has), I would bet the Brewers come out on top.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
Consider that the Reds play 81 games in what is widely considered the best offensive park in the NL... statistically, they may be the better team on offense, but if you could adjust stats for a neutral field setting (which I'm sure someone has), I would bet the Brewers come out on top.

I think I'd take that bet. I love my crew, but when you look around the diamond, where do the Brewers have the Reds beat?  LF obviously, and I'd call 1B (generous to the brewers), C, 2B, SS, 3B rough washes. I think Cincy's CF and RF top Mke's.  They've got a deeper bench too, with Renteria, Fred Lewis, Hermida, and Heisey starting to look like a good little player.

I'll agree though that after actually comparing the lineup, its closer than I thought it'd be.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
This is all moot unless the Brewers can find a way to win on the road.  They are the Wisconsin Badgers of the MLB at this point.

Yep. No team will win a division playing .307 ball on the road. The Brewers gotta get it figured out. June would be a nice time to do it, with a tough road schedule.

feedback