collapse

* Recent Posts

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 74347 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
Make no mistake, Hart will come back and be batting second immediately.

Don't be so sure.  That's where I'd put him, but RR may start him out in the 6 hole until he heats up and Gomez cools off.  Hart has pretty much struggled at AAA.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
And of course Hart is batting 6th.  In my face.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
And of course Hart is batting 6th.  In my face.

Had Corey banged out a hit last night, he might not have been in the 6-spot today; nevertheless, the answer to a free-swinger who chases sliders outside the zone on strike three with RISP in the 2-hole is not another free-swinger who chases sliders outside the zone on strike three with RISP.

Although, I can't remember the last time Corey Hart looked like both the old Corey Hart and the All-Star Corey Hart in the same game before.  Maybe he's turned over a new leaf.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
So...is it time for Sveum to go?  This team has been terrible at the plate for the last two years. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
It's time for Melvin to go.   Has had the resources the last few years and we've regressed....also firing Yost three weeks out to hire Dale Sveum was utterly classless and useless.

Yost may not be a tactical master but he inspired the guys, had crew 11 games over .500 at all-star break before they got Sabathia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
It's time for Melvin to go.   Has had the resources the last few years and we've regressed....also firing Yost three weeks out to hire Dale Sveum was utterly classless and useless.

Yost may not be a tactical master but he inspired the guys, had crew 11 games over .500 at all-star break before they got Sabathia.

What "resources" did he have a few years ago?  And how far did we really regress?  Let's be honest, we're the Brewers.  Hovering around .500 for an entire season is GOOD for us.  We have had two winning seasons in how long?  1 playoff appearance in how long?  Melvin has put together a team that can compete.  We will be fine this year.  We are not going to finish in 2nd last place in the NL Central.  We may not win it, but we will be right there in the end.

And PLEASE tell me you were joking about not should have fired Yost.  Yost was the worst manager I have ever seen at bullpen management.  Absolutely horrible.  Had no clue when his pitcher had lost it.  Also when he would give somebody a day off he would not move the lineup, he'd just plug the guy into the lineup where that guy was.  That makes no sense if you're #2 hitter is sitting and the guy replacing him is batting .198.  And "inspired the guys"...really?!  We were 80-56 going into the series with the Mets on September 1.  We were battling with the Mets for the Wild Card, and we get swept in that series, and go 3-11 from the start of that series to the end of the Phillies series when we got swept by them.  That is about as uninspired of baseball as you will find, especially considering we were playing to get into the playoffs for the 1st time in 26 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
And PLEASE tell me you were joking about not should have fired Yost.  Yost was the worst manager I have ever seen at bullpen management.  Absolutely horrible.  Had no clue when his pitcher had lost it.  Also when he would give somebody a day off he would not move the lineup, he'd just plug the guy into the lineup where that guy was.  That makes no sense if you're #2 hitter is sitting and the guy replacing him is batting .198.

Sounds a lot like Roenicke. Except he's not a prick about it like Yost was.

Melvin has to go. You can only draft power hitters and shuffle them around the field for so long. The result is this year's team- Nobody gets on base and the defense is horrendous.

This team needs more guys that are decent defensively and can hit for average. Kinda like Cirillo and Loretta were in the 90s. But Melvin is too infatuated with power to do it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
Sounds a lot like Roenicke. Except he's not a prick about it like Yost was.

Melvin has to go. You can only draft power hitters and shuffle them around the field for so long. The result is this year's team- Nobody gets on base and the defense is horrendous.

This team needs more guys that are decent defensively and can hit for average. Kinda like Cirillo and Loretta were in the 90s. But Melvin is too infatuated with power to do it.

Those are both good points.  I think Roenicke will grow on me.  The thing with Roenicke is he's changing the way we play as a team.  He is trying to be more aggressive on the basepaths and whatnot and that is not what this group of players ever has been.  So it is ugly at times right now.  He has also had to deal with quite a few injuries.  I am definitely not pleased with the performance so far, but I think we will improve and I think Roenicke will be a good manager in time.

Good point about Melvin being too obsessed with power hitting and nothing more.  He brought us back to relevance but now he has to change the way he approaches things to improve even more.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
Is it me or do the Cardinals players and fans just hate whatever team they are competing with for the division and consider that team the "least classy, most hatable" team in the MLB?  I remember in 08 they hated the Brewers and hated that Braun watched his home runs, that Cameron and the outfield untucked their jersey (something Cameron, who is widely known as one of the most classy players in the MLB, does as a tribute for the hard work that his dad did to give him the opportunity to be where he is today), and just hated the Brewers in general.  Then last year it was the Reds, getting into the brawl where guys were pushed up into the netting behind home plate (I realize that Brandon Philips set it up by running his mouth about them and then still tapping Molina before his first AB).  And this year again, with the Reds, because they hit Pujols.  Do people honestly, TRULY believe that Cordero was TRYING to hit Pujols with an 0-2 count, up by 2 runs with a guy on 1st and Matt Holiday on deck?  You want to put a struggling hitter on first as the tying run and bring up a HOT hitter as the winning run, especially with an 0-2 count?  Foolish.  And these guys are just Saints.  Pujols would NEVER watch a home run!  Please.  Yadier is so classy, he would NEVER get thrown out of a game and then strip down on the field, throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old!  C'mon.  Why is it ALWAYS the Cardinals and then whatever other top-of-the-division team that get into it with each other all year.  Every single year.  It's not "Cardinals-Cubs rivalry" or "Cardinals-Reds rivalry."  It's always "Cardinals-team-that's-beating-them-down-in-the-division rivalry."  If the Pirates were in first I would bet my life on the fact that the Cardinals would suddenly hate them and get into at least 2 brawls with them in a year.  It's ridiculous.  The Cardinals have easily overtaken the Cubs as my least favorite team in baseball (I suppose it helps that the Cubs are an absolute joke and have been for the last couple of years, so there is really nothing to be concerned about with them...sorry, had to get that in there at least once  ;) ).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Finally something that Cubs and Brewers fans can agree on: The Cardinals are punks. They also got into it several times with the Cubs from 2003-2008, i.e. the years the Cubs won 3 division titles over StL. It all comes down from the manager.

FYI, wadesworld, in 2009-2010 combined - when the Cubs were "an absolute joke" - they finished with a better record than the Brewers...Cubs 158-165, Brewers 157-167. So take that!  ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
FYI, wadesworld, in 2009-2010 combined - when the Cubs were "an absolute joke" - they finished with a better record than the Brewers...Cubs 158-165, Brewers 157-167. So take that!  ;D

Yeah yeah yeah.  You were never really a threat in those 2 years.  This year the Brewers are starting to come around and play some good baseball after finally getting healthy.  If we can keep the good health (still some bullpen pitchers and roll players missing) there is absolutely no reason to think the Brewers will not be in the playoff hunt until the end.  And if they can get in you have to expect that Greinke and Gallardo are going to come around.  Greinke's 26-2 strikeout to walk ratio is nice for the year so far, but his 6.50 almost ERA is not.  Yo has to learn to pitch to contact more and let his defense do some work.  Marcum is quite possibly the most underrated pitcher in the MLB.  If the first two can get going, and Marcum keeps going, this team could beat any in a 7 game series.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2011, 08:25:26 AM »
Is it me or do the Cardinals players and fans just hate whatever team they are competing with for the division and consider that team the "least classy, most hatable" team in the MLB?  I remember in 08 they hated the Brewers and hated that Braun watched his home runs, that Cameron and the outfield untucked their jersey (something Cameron, who is widely known as one of the most classy players in the MLB, does as a tribute for the hard work that his dad did to give him the opportunity to be where he is today), and just hated the Brewers in general.  Then last year it was the Reds, getting into the brawl where guys were pushed up into the netting behind home plate (I realize that Brandon Philips set it up by running his mouth about them and then still tapping Molina before his first AB).  And this year again, with the Reds, because they hit Pujols.  Do people honestly, TRULY believe that Cordero was TRYING to hit Pujols with an 0-2 count, up by 2 runs with a guy on 1st and Matt Holiday on deck?  You want to put a struggling hitter on first as the tying run and bring up a HOT hitter as the winning run, especially with an 0-2 count?  Foolish.  And these guys are just Saints.  Pujols would NEVER watch a home run!  Please.  Yadier is so classy, he would NEVER get thrown out of a game and then strip down on the field, throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old!  C'mon.  Why is it ALWAYS the Cardinals and then whatever other top-of-the-division team that get into it with each other all year.  Every single year.  It's not "Cardinals-Cubs rivalry" or "Cardinals-Reds rivalry."  It's always "Cardinals-team-that's-beating-them-down-in-the-division rivalry."  If the Pirates were in first I would bet my life on the fact that the Cardinals would suddenly hate them and get into at least 2 brawls with them in a year.  It's ridiculous.  The Cardinals have easily overtaken the Cubs as my least favorite team in baseball (I suppose it helps that the Cubs are an absolute joke and have been for the last couple of years, so there is really nothing to be concerned about with them...sorry, had to get that in there at least once  ;) ).

3 words for this: Tony La Russa

I do like his daughter tho

LON

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »

Karma is spelled S-H-I-N-G-L-E-S:

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
(something Cameron, who is widely known as one of the most classy players in the MLB

LOL.  The dude who once said he could have hit 5 homers but chose not to out of respect for the game?  Or maybe the guy who I saw twice, in two different games, taunt kids, not drunken idiots, kids in center field at Wrigley.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
LOL.  The dude who once said he could have hit 5 homers but chose not to out of respect for the game?  Or maybe the guy who I saw twice, in two different games, taunt kids, not drunken idiots, kids in center field at Wrigley.

In his defense, who wouldn't taunt kids at Wrigley?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »
Don't forget the suspension for failing a 2nd test for banned substances.

LON

• All American
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
Meanwhile, "Where's Bernie" promotion has problems.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/122506259.html

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
World Series titles (10)   
2006 • 1982 • 1967 • 1964
1946 • 1944 • 1942 • 1934
1931 • 1926

NL Pennants (17)   
2006 • 2004 • 1987 • 1985
1982 • 1968 • 1967 • 1964
1946• 1944 • 1943 • 1942
1934 • 1931 • 1930 • 1928

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
Don't forget the suspension for failing a 2nd test for banned substances.

Greenies, boo hoo.  All of the players in the 70-80's were on them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
World Series titles (10)   
2006 • 1982 • 1967 • 1964
1946 • 1944 • 1942 • 1934
1931 • 1926

NL Pennants (17)   
2006 • 2004 • 1987 • 1985
1982 • 1968 • 1967 • 1964
1946• 1944 • 1943 • 1942
1934 • 1931 • 1930 • 1928

Yeah, but none of that changes the fact that LaRussa is a douche. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
Define hypocrite:

Greenies, boo hoo.  All of the players in the 70-80's were on them.

D-Rose is a cheat.

His hands are as dirty as Calipari's.

So, it's fine for Cameron to break the rules because guys in the 70's and 80's were on them, but it's just terrible for DRose to cheat on a standardized test? Good to see your fandom hasn't blinded you at all.

I see that you missed the point.

As has been said though, your fandom blinds you to past transgressions

reinko

• All American
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
Define hypocrite:

So, it's fine for Cameron to break the rules because guys in the 70's and 80's were on them, but it's just terrible for DRose to cheat on a standardized test? Good to see your fandom hasn't blinded you at all.

Actually Hards is not a hypocrite.  He is not the one that doing something contradictory to his own beliefs. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Actually Hards is not a hypocrite. He is not the one that doing something contradictory to his own beliefs.  

I don't think you necessarily need to be the one doing the action that goes against what you have previously stated. Taking a completely opposite position of one previously stated would also make you a hypocrite, at least that's what I always thought.

Definition of HYPOCRITE
1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

hyp·o·crite   
–noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
I never defended him, just that the behavior was commonplace in the 70-80s, Jmayer1.

I never said it was fine to do the greenies.

reading comprehension.

feedback