collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.  (Read 5982 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »
I'm 68. Your examples are all from long after my coaches taught me sportsmanship/respect for one's opponent - so what's your point?

Regardless, I'll absolutely stipulate that celebrating TDs in the NFL by a select few players dates back to the 70s. As stated previously, it doesn't bother me. Celebrating a 4 yard catch for a first down or a tackle for a 2 yard loss while trailing by 17 points in the 3rd quarter? Smacks of WWE and not real sports to me.

My point simply is that players celebrating is not anything new. It's not as you said, an example of sports "being different today." And a select few players? Oh, come on. TD celebrations were team productions back in the day.
I'll simply disagree with the stance that celebrating a tackle makes football akin to the WWE.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:30 PM »
Pop is anything but boring.

Agreed. And so is Kawhi.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »
My point simply is that players celebrating is not anything new. It's not as you said, an example of sports "being different today." And a select few players? Oh, come on. TD celebrations were team productions back in the day.
I'll simply disagree with the stance that celebrating a tackle makes football akin to the WWE.

I didn't say it was new. Ever. I said sports are different today than they were when I was taught the game. They are, and that's fact, not opinion. It went from celebrations being universally considered to be poor sportsmanship to where we are today. They're also different today from the 70s and 80s, when some players celebrated touchdowns. Today there are celebrations for TDs, sacks, first downs, passes that are broken up, tackles, etc. Celebrating the ordinary rings hollow and phony to me, which brings to mind (for me) the WWE. Fine that you disagree with the opinion expressed in my final sentence. Not so fine to pull a few words out of context and quote them  to distort facts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
I didn't say it was new. Ever. I said sports are different today than they were when I was taught the game. They are, and that's fact, not opinion. It went from celebrations being universally considered to be poor sportsmanship to where we are today. They're also different today from the 70s and 80s, when some players celebrated touchdowns. Today there are celebrations for TDs, sacks, first downs, passes that are broken up, tackles, etc. Celebrating the ordinary rings hollow and phony to me, which brings to mind (for me) the WWE. Fine that you disagree with the opinion expressed in my final sentence. Not so fine to pull a few words out of context and quote them  to distort facts.

I guess life is going to be boring for you without watching any sports. Either that, or you'll be grumpy all the time as you watch today's unsportsmanlike jocks celebrate.

I like the games, I like the big moments and I usually like the celebrations big and small.

Life is short ... we all should celebrate whenever we can.

Hell, right now I am doing the Scoopy Shuffle after having written this outstanding post!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
After the McCringleberry incident, I no longer have anything to say on the subject of excessive celebration.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

So your stance is that sports are different in 2016 than in 1966?
Way to go out on a limb.

There weren't celebrations for sacks, first downs, etc. in the 70s and 80s?
I'd suggest you're viewing the glorious past when men were men and football players were stoic automatons through rose-colored glasses.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
The worst part is the league is very hypocritical and super inconsistent with this stuff. 

Week 1, Antonio Brown was fined and flagged for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ8Pepk39es

Week 2, Emmanuel Sanders did this and was neither fined nor flagged for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEJTSRY3LgU

Week 4, Antonio Brown was fined and flagged for this:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/782749749371731968   - Oh, and that's the NFL official twitter account including his "illegal" dance that he was fined for in that clip

The NFL Sirius twitter account specifically tweeted the video of his dance moves with the caption "Dance Time" - it was several days before that tweet was deleted.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Forget the player celebrations... I'm getting kind of sick of the unnecessary and annoying PA celebrations.  For example, that damn horn at the Vikings game.

"Peterson to the 41.  First down, Vikings."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bridgewater to the 21.  Injury on the play."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Peterson 2 yard gain.  Official timeout for measurement."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bud Light and lutefisk are now available at all concession stands."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Will all the owners of various mid-90s Chevrolet Cavaliers with University of Dayton window clings please report to the Sheriff's Station."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Plumbing staff, please report to urinal #249 for de-clogging."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"As a reminder to all fans, shuttles to Shakopee will be departing every 3 minutes following the conclusion of the game."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
I tuned in to see what Chad Ochocinco would do if he scored. I enjoyed the Mile High Salute. As long as it's not at an opponent, I don't really care.

I think the NFL uses Favre running off the field with his helmet off in Super Bowl XXXI in their promotional material, which would be a penalty. I saw a gif or cartoon the NFL was promoting of Brown dancing, after he was penalized and fined. Seems a little backwards.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
I guess life is going to be boring for you without watching any sports. Either that, or you'll be grumpy all the time as you watch today's unsportsmanlike jocks celebrate.

I like the games, I like the big moments and I usually like the celebrations big and small.

Life is short ... we all should celebrate whenever we can.

Hell, right now I am doing the Scoopy Shuffle after having written this outstanding post!!!

Dead on, 82. When my crushingly boring life becomes so boring that even a bore like me can no longer stand it - then and only then do I turn to sports. And of course that just makes things worse, because I'm too old and stupid to understand the excitement in a second string defensive end standing over a sacked QB and celebrating as his team trails 31-0 early in the 4th quarter. And because I'm so confused, I likely get a bit grumpy (happens with old people, doncha know).

So I seek a bit of solace in my "safe space" at Scoop and what happens? You remind me a) how miserable I am and b) how happy, good, smart and downright celebratory you are. And then comes your dance as I lay prostrate, cowering at your feet, followed by you spiking the metaphorical football off my head. I'm not trying to put a damper on your self congratulatory celebration, Mike. You've earned it. But a broken man lies at your feet. Maybe a hand up, a slight show of sportsmanship next time?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Dead on, 82. When my crushingly boring life becomes so boring that even a bore like me can no longer stand it - then and only then do I turn to sports. And of course that just makes things worse, because I'm too old and stupid to understand the excitement in a second string defensive end standing over a sacked QB and celebrating as his team trails 31-0 early in the 4th quarter. And because I'm so confused, I likely get a bit grumpy (happens with old people, doncha know).

So I seek a bit of solace in my "safe space" at Scoop and what happens? You remind me a) how miserable I am and b) how happy, good, smart and downright celebratory you are. And then comes your dance as I lay prostrate, cowering at your feet, followed by you spiking the metaphorical football off my head. I'm not trying to put a damper on your self congratulatory celebration, Mike. You've earned it. But a broken man lies at your feet. Maybe a hand up, a slight show of sportsmanship next time?

This is awesome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

"Will all the owners of various mid-90s Chevrolet Cavaliers with University of Dayton window clings please report to the Sheriff's Station."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »

that was cool lenny!  and right on! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
Forget the player celebrations... I'm getting kind of sick of the unnecessary and annoying PA celebrations.  For example, that damn horn at the Vikings game.

"Peterson to the 41.  First down, Vikings."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bridgewater to the 21.  Injury on the play."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Peterson 2 yard gain.  Official timeout for measurement."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bud Light and lutefisk are now available at all concession stands."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Plumbing staff, please report to urinal #249 for de-clogging."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"As a reminder to all fans, shuttles to Shakopee will be departing every 3 minutes following the conclusion of the game."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

That sound always reminds me of a broken Model-T horn. 

-Ba-rooooooooooooo-ga...with the "ga" part not working.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »

Sorry for the metaphorical spike, Lenny.

I hope that right now you can feel my metaphorical hug!

Hang in there, young man.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback