collapse

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1130691 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6475 on: June 12, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
Does anybody know where the hell Benny is?

He started the very first coronavirus thread but he hasn't posted on any thread on any board since March 18.

Hope he's OK.

If you click into his profile it looks like he was active on June 6th. Hopefully just lurking.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6476 on: June 12, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
Did these places have a first wave?  Did they go into lockdown before things really hit them and now are first really getting hit?  If you go to the link below the cases never flattened in AZ and yet they reopened

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

It all depends on how many cases you'd have to have to define it as a "first wave." They all certainly had cases and hospitalized patients. But regardless, they all been reopening LONG before meeting the criteria even for phase I of reopening.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6477 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »
Does anybody know where the hell Benny is?

He started the very first coronavirus thread but he hasn't posted on any thread on any board since March 18.

Hope he's OK.

Maybe it is taking this long for him to come up with his next witty quip.

I am just joking - as I enjoy his posts more than any guy here with whom I generally disagree.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6478 on: June 12, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
It's pretty hard to seperate politics from this when many of these "openings" are due to political pressure being applied at the very top. 

Everybody knows we are balancing the economy and health, but the concern is that if health continues to decline, the economy is going to be in even worse shape.

Your point is spot on, but let's not assume that all governors are even trying to achieve this balancing act. Most are and we have to hope they will be successful. But there are several who have clearly put their economy way, way ahead of their concern for the health of their citizens.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6479 on: June 12, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »
Benny's people learned that some here were inquiring about his whereabouts, so they reached out to my people. Benny's people told my people to tell me to tell you that Benny is just fine, thank you, and enjoying his summer.

Benny's people also told my people to tell me to tell you that, should you wish to interact with Benny in the near future, you should just summon Benny's image in your mind. Benny's people will telepathically evaluate your request and pass it on to Benny if warranted. Benny will then contact you, likely through his people. It is unclear whether my people would be involved in the contact process, but they remain at the ready if necessary.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6480 on: June 12, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »
I can neither confirm or deny that he is alive and well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:26:19 PM by real chili 83 »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6481 on: June 12, 2020, 01:52:16 PM »
Benny's people learned that some here were inquiring about his whereabouts, so they reached out to my people. Benny's people told my people to tell me to tell you that Benny is just fine, thank you, and enjoying his summer.

Benny's people also told my people to tell me to tell you that, should you wish to interact with Benny in the near future, you should just summon Benny's image in your mind. Benny's people will telepathically evaluate your request and pass it on to Benny if warranted. Benny will then contact you, likely through his people. It is unclear whether my people would be involved in the contact process, but they remain at the ready if necessary.

Very Benny-esque style, Goo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:26:13 PM by Jockey »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6482 on: June 12, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »
Very Benny-sequence style, Goo.

Benny's people told my people to tell me that that was required for the update.  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6483 on: June 12, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
Unfortunately, North Carolina is seeing cases, percentage positives and hospitalizations all spike.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article243490631.html?

North Carolina is experiencing its “first wave,” or peak, of coronavirus cases, as the percentage of positive cases continue to rise, the state’s top health official said Friday.

The state’s positive coronavirus test rate remains among the highest in the country and has continued to rise, said Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of the N.C. Department Health and Human Services.

Testing has reached record levels statewide, Cohen added, so more positive cases would be expected. But she said that’s not the only reason for the spike. The disease is growing through communal spread.

“That timing is very much linked to the last two to three weeks,” Cohen said at a news conference Friday. “It’s very much linked to when we started reopening.”

North Carolina began its first phase of reopening on May 8 with the second phase starting May 22.

Cohen said the state flattened the curve — or did not see an early surge — to suggest the recent increase is a new escalation.

“This isn’t a second wave. This for us is a first,” Cohen said. “I think this is our first experience at an increase. It reminds us that this virus is here and we have to live with this virus, because we don’t have a vaccine. We don’t have a cure.”

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Friday he has not made a decision about moving into the next stage of reopening the state, calling the COVID-19 numbers “sobering.”

Cooper eased restrictions in late May, entering Phase Two of the state’s plan. A transition to Phase Three, or an interim stage Cooper calls Phase 2.5, could come as soon as June 26.

Cooper said Friday his administration has not made a decision on the June 26 date but said it’s still on the table.

“I know people are tired of this virus,” he said. “It’s been hard on everybody. But it’s still deadly.”

This sucks.

I don't want our economy to have to take a step backward.

My wife and I were just starting to feel a little more confident - went out with another couple last Saturday, I've grabbed a couple beers with buddies each of the last 3 Thursdays, etc.

However, we have been dismayed that so few people wear masks. We were in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend, and just about everybody was wearing a mask. We saw people running, riding bikes, laying out in the park, etc, and all were wearing masks. The grocery stores require them, etc. It gives you a better feeling that some mouth-breather isn't gonna share his "droplets" with you as he walks by.

I guess we'll just see what happens here. Not great, though, obvi.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6484 on: June 12, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »
Unfortunately, North Carolina is seeing cases, percentage positives and hospitalizations all spike.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article243490631.html?

North Carolina is experiencing its “first wave,” or peak, of coronavirus cases, as the percentage of positive cases continue to rise, the state’s top health official said Friday.

The state’s positive coronavirus test rate remains among the highest in the country and has continued to rise, said Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of the N.C. Department Health and Human Services.

Testing has reached record levels statewide, Cohen added, so more positive cases would be expected. But she said that’s not the only reason for the spike. The disease is growing through communal spread.

“That timing is very much linked to the last two to three weeks,” Cohen said at a news conference Friday. “It’s very much linked to when we started reopening.”

North Carolina began its first phase of reopening on May 8 with the second phase starting May 22.

Cohen said the state flattened the curve — or did not see an early surge — to suggest the recent increase is a new escalation.

“This isn’t a second wave. This for us is a first,” Cohen said. “I think this is our first experience at an increase. It reminds us that this virus is here and we have to live with this virus, because we don’t have a vaccine. We don’t have a cure.”

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Friday he has not made a decision about moving into the next stage of reopening the state, calling the COVID-19 numbers “sobering.”

Cooper eased restrictions in late May, entering Phase Two of the state’s plan. A transition to Phase Three, or an interim stage Cooper calls Phase 2.5, could come as soon as June 26.

Cooper said Friday his administration has not made a decision on the June 26 date but said it’s still on the table.

“I know people are tired of this virus,” he said. “It’s been hard on everybody. But it’s still deadly.”

This sucks.

I don't want our economy to have to take a step backward.

My wife and I were just starting to feel a little more confident - went out with another couple last Saturday, I've grabbed a couple beers with buddies each of the last 3 Thursdays, etc.

However, we have been dismayed that so few people wear masks. We were in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend, and just about everybody was wearing a mask. We saw people running, riding bikes, laying out in the park, etc, and all were wearing masks. The grocery stores require them, etc. It gives you a better feeling that some mouth-breather isn't gonna share his "droplets" with you as he walks by.

I guess we'll just see what happens here. Not great, though, obvi.

kind of what i said earlier today.  These states that are seeing a big spike now did not see a big spike early or a first wave.  Real interested to see what happens here in WI.  First the election was supposed to have give us a huge spike. We opened everyone said wait 3 weeks nothing glaring there. Now we had memorial day which was 3 weeks ago.  No big spike so far.  Then the protests.
Is it possible this virus has 1 big spike in an area and then slows down?  I have no idea.  I try to be as optimistic as possible cause I have 4 kids that live and die with sports and a senior to be in HS that does not want to have his final season of football taken away.

I talked to a friend in Alabama, his wife is a nurse and she said they have seen an increase but a lot of the issue is they are treating so many other patients for things other than covid.  so might be a hospital issue that they accepted too many patients too soon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6485 on: June 12, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

Benny's people told my people to tell me that that was required for the update.  ;)

I’ll have my people tell your people to tell Benny’s people that ... wait ... what the hell were we talkin’ about?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6486 on: June 12, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
kind of what i said earlier today.  These states that are seeing a big spike now did not see a big spike early or a first wave.  Real interested to see what happens here in WI.  First the election was supposed to have give us a huge spike. We opened everyone said wait 3 weeks nothing glaring there. Now we had memorial day which was 3 weeks ago.  No big spike so far.  Then the protests.
Is it possible this virus has 1 big spike in an area and then slows down?  I have no idea.  I try to be as optimistic as possible cause I have 4 kids that live and die with sports and a senior to be in HS that does not want to have his final season of football taken away.

I talked to a friend in Alabama, his wife is a nurse and she said they have seen an increase but a lot of the issue is they are treating so many other patients for things other than covid.  so might be a hospital issue that they accepted too many patients too soon.

Second waves are a thing.  Just look at Iran. 

Here there could be a dynamic where the first wave was stymied in some areas.  Only to get spread later.  I’d say WI could be a candidate for that (delayed first impact).

To your point though we should be much better equipped to detect outbreak, contain and treat.   I hope that plays out in the areas where things are getting hot. 

All my opinion of course. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6487 on: June 12, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »

It’s possible, but I’m struggling to think of many likely scenarios where that would happen.

Maybe if there were a lot more (like 10 or 20 times more) undetected asymptomatic cases than we realize, resulting in herd immunity? Or if there is some genetic factor that renders a good portion of the population resistant to infection? There is some hope of the latter, with non-peer reviewed data from several sources suggesting that people with type O blood are disproportionately spared from covid so far, and generally get less severe illness when they get the virus. Still, that wouldn’t get us to herd immunity yet, unless combined with something more.

I was hoping that “lessons learned” from all the previously treated patients would be a big factor, but the death rates don’t seem to be moving a whole lot from where they were a few weeks back.

So maybe I’ll stick with it’s possible, but I still expect a surge in late summer or fall.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6488 on: June 12, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
Oof.

University of Houston is suspending all voluntary workouts due to multiple student athletes testing positive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6489 on: June 12, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
Oof.

University of Houston is suspending all voluntary workouts due to multiple student athletes testing positive.

Absent some miracle vaccine or treatment in the very short term, I struggle to see the resumption of close contact sports like football or basketball anytime soon. By the time a player tests positive he has already had close contact with numerous teammates and likely players on opposing teams. It’s a hot spot waiting to happen.

Maybe baseball because there is considerably less contact, but as usual the MLB players and owners are doing everything they can to make sure a season never happens.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6490 on: June 12, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »

Absent some miracle vaccine or treatment in the very short term, I struggle to see the resumption of close contact sports like football or basketball anytime soon. By the time a player tests positive he has already had close contact with numerous teammates and likely players on opposing teams. It’s a hot spot waiting to happen.

Maybe baseball because there is considerably less contact, but as usual the MLB players and owners are doing everything they can to make sure a season never happens.

Over on the Al board, I think it was brewski who said he didn't think there would be a 2020-21 college basketball season. Several of us pooh-poohed that - me because I'm ever the optimist, and others for other reasons - but maybe he'll have proven to be right.

That would really, really, REALLY suck.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6491 on: June 12, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
Some on here have been critical of government agencies that are involved in the science, saying they have gotten some things wrong. I had emphasized in the past that remember there is always a political filter.

An example from a conversation today I had with a colleague who is a prominent government employed researcher. I hadn't chatted with him in a while, but knew he was working on projects related to COVID (essentially they all are at this point). They had made a moderate discovery that impacted COVID spread. They asked to do a press release, it was blocked by the office of the Vice President.

The published research was recognized by media anyway, who wanted to do stories/interviews regarding the data and discoveries. All such inquiries must be forwarded to the office of the Vice President, who again blocked any researchers on the topic from speaking with media about the results.

Instead they allowed one of their hand-picked people, who had nothing to do with the topic the part in interviews, where they completely distorted the message to align with the political message and ideas from the White House.

When everything has to go through Pence's office and is filtered by the political message before being released, some discoveries are being squashed and others distorted for political purposes. Very sad state.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6492 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »

One other observation.  Why is this an ‘issue’.  Our hospitals are never at zero capacity and are treating a variety of necessary things. 

The issue is the epidemic/pandemic....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6493 on: June 12, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »
Some on here have been critical of government agencies that are involved in the science, saying they have gotten some things wrong. I had emphasized in the past that remember there is always a political filter.

An example from a conversation today I had with a colleague who is a prominent government employed researcher. I hadn't chatted with him in a while, but knew he was working on projects related to COVID (essentially they all are at this point). They had made a moderate discovery that impacted COVID spread. They asked to do a press release, it was blocked by the office of the Vice President.

The published research was recognized by media anyway, who wanted to do stories/interviews regarding the data and discoveries. All such inquiries must be forwarded to the office of the Vice President, who again blocked any researchers on the topic from speaking with media about the results.

Instead they allowed one of their hand-picked people, who had nothing to do with the topic the part in interviews, where they completely distorted the message to align with the political message and ideas from the White House.

When everything has to go through Pence's office and is filtered by the political message before being released, some discoveries are being squashed and others distorted for political purposes. Very sad state.

That is appalling. I suspected that might be occurring, but had no evidence.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6494 on: June 12, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »

Almost exactly what they have done to the CDC.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6495 on: June 12, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
Florida and Palm Beach county with all time highs. They are very vocally anti mask here, at least about 50% anyway.

It’s ironic that those shouting loudest for reopening are also the ones doing the most to ensure that reopening fails.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6496 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:21 PM »
Florida and Palm Beach county with all time highs. They are very vocally anti mask here, at least about 50% anyway.

It’s ironic moronic that those shouting loudest for reopening are also the ones doing the most to ensure that reopening fails.

FIFY

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6497 on: June 13, 2020, 05:11:37 AM »
European strain of the virus is a mutation that has made it easier to transmit.  May explain some of the regional differences in spread. 

https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-events/press-room/2020/20200612-choe-farzan-coronavirus-spike-mutation.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6498 on: June 13, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
Yeah, it isn’t just Houston. Other localized areas like Montgomery are on the edge of disaster, and entire states like NC and AZ are rapidly getting there.

As for CDC, the Director is a joke, but the mainline workers are dedicated and highly qualified to do the job. IMHO, the career public servants have been handcuffed so they don’t interfere with The Message.
We Are Sweden.

Which by the way, Deaths per million:
Sweden 483
Denmark 103
Finland 59
Norway 45

Chicos got his wish.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:01:10 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6499 on: June 13, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »
These charts look to be going in the right direction

https://twitter.com/bandit_polish/status/1271564539583217665